ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: If we trade Nene/Okafor/Ariza, who's picking up the slac 

Post#1001 » by dangermouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 am

I think we'll be fine without Okafor/Ariza. Nene on the other hand, we are not going to be even competitive without him.

Right now we are paying ~$14m for a rebounder and garbage man, and ~$7m for a not-very-good 3&D guy who is coming off the bench.

Webster is better than Riza. If we moved Riza to free up money to sign Webster for a little less, maybe around the same, than what we are paying Trevor right now, thats a good move in my books.

Its hard to find a double-double shotblocking big body. Okafor has played well of late, but he is too expensive and too inconsistent on offense to really be anything more than a very attractive expiring contract next year.

I agree with above, and I think Okafor could be used in a trade for Cousins (along with our prot. pick) and one of the KingSonics bad contracts. The SuperKings might want to start clean and fresh with all new guys. Which would be why they want our 1st. Cousins is good but they might see his tantrums and whatnot as something they dont want their new (old) franchise to be associated with.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - present) 

Post#1002 » by dangermouse » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:33 am

nuposse04 wrote:Say we're actually supremely confident that we're going to play ourselves out of position from getting a pick that could help immediately...does this make sense from our end:

Ariza+Singleton+top 10 protected pick this year, top 5 next year

for

Ersan+2nd round pick

I think Ersan is slightly overpaid, but I think he'd flourish next to Wall.

Have you been hooking into the Milwaukee's Best? Take out that pick! WAY too much for Ersan.

I think value is near enough to equal without the pick. Bucks could really use Ariza at SF too.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1003 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:43 am

dangermouse wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Say we're actually supremely confident that we're going to play ourselves out of position from getting a pick that could help immediately...does this make sense from our end:

for

Ersan+2nd round pick

Have you been hooking into the Milwaukee's Best? Take out that pick! WAY too much for Ersan.

I think value is near enough to equal without the pick. Bucks could really use Ariza at SF too.

Well truthfully, I don't think anyone in this draft will be better than Ersan (In the right system) after the top 10. That and Ersan is actually having good games as of late, bucks fans may inflate his value more than we might. Ariza is a serviceable SF for them, but its mostly to clear salary, they have a lot of similar SFs as it right now. Luc, Harris. I'm not exactly sure what they need, or if they'd be even willing to part with him. They have talent at most positions, but nothing proven, kinda like us Sans Beal, Wall, and Nene.

And Mil's Best might be the worst tasting "beverage" on the planet.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#1004 » by TGW » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 am

You don't give up picks for players like Ersan, unless it's a second rounder. The chance of getting a player better than Ersan in the draft is worth more.

Anyway, do you think our FO is still interested in Enes Kanter or Derrick Favors? I'm still interested in getting either player, and I would trade Seraphin, Crawford, Vesely, and even our first this year to do so.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,724

Post#1005 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 am

for

Ersan+2nd round pick

No way is ersan worth our fist! i know you may think that this draft is "weak" but its not. it might be lacking a clear super star. but it if full of under the radar, NBA starting caliber talent. We should not give up on this draft so easily.

jivelikenice wrote:I don't see Nene going yet unless he requests a trade. Brooklyn is a team that would probably take him, but our team seems to be developing some chemistry and non of the pieces coming our way would be impactful. Humphries would play, but wouldn't brign that veteran presense. Brooks is a nice player, but is useless behind Beal and Crawford. The first round pick is ok but its a late pick in a weak draft AND we already have a lottery pick, two 2nd rd picks, and Satoransky on the way. If they trade before the deadline, it will be for a legit piece like a Rudy Gay/ Lopez/ Cousins type, or I see them standing pat until pre-draft.

Here is the thing, i think we need to realize that NENE is a ticking time bomb. he could blow any day now. we need a big man who can put up some point and rebound and hump can do that. I think we move crawford at some point as well so getting brooks would then make sense. Plus i feel that there are good players to be had late in this draft. That pick will be in the early 20's and around there you can still get some good shooters like Tim Hardaway Jr.and Doug McDermott.

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Lol it seems that you wouldn't even trade our pick for Lebron James. It's about time we stopped living through the draft, you know , like not making a draft thread till after the playoffs. I know the uncertainty of a draft prospect is enticing, but if you have the opportunity to acquire good, young, established NBA players (Love, Cousins, Gay, Lopez,etc.), you just have to do it.
Personally, I will trade all our future picks, for the chance to be competing in the playoffs/championships every season.

I probably would't
Love could end up being injury prone, Cousins is a basket case, gay is not worth our first round pick, and lopez is not a complete player. It's not time we stop living through the draft. would you like to know how many starters on OKC were drafted by them, 4 out of 5. We should not stop living in the draft, How well did giving away our first in 2009 for good established nba players work out for us? we should find someone who can actually draft well. E.G. f**ked the draft in 2011. he made bad picks! there were players that we could have taken that could make us better if we had taken them. We need to make good solid picks, we can not make picks on upside or projects with one solid skill anymore.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#1006 » by verbal8 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 am

The value in that package is the multiple first round picks. If you make that deal for a guy who isn't an impact player, then the second pick is extremely painful to give up.

I also think that Love and Howard are in situations where if they were dealt, their teams would be in a bit of a "sell low" situation. I don't think Bosh is really on the block, but I don't see him being the Chris Webber type of player that would cost 3 1sts.

fishercob wrote:
verbal8 wrote:I don't mind trading spare pieces to get Cousins. However if a 1st is needed it should have significant protection.

I wonder if they would want the opposite direction and would have interest in Nene. I don't know they would want Cousins as the "face of the franchise" when they move to a new city.

The only guys I would remotely consider giving up the proposed package for would be Love, Bosh or Howard if he would resign.

fishercob wrote:Like everyone else, I'm beginning to wonder about Cousins. With the move to Seattle in the offing, I wonder if the new organization decides that he's just not who they want as the face of their franchise as they make a fresh start, and trade him for a tanktastic package that will help their full rebuild.

Do you think they'd remotely consider:

Seraphin, Crawford, Booker, Vesely, Singleton, Wiz firsts in '13 and '15
for
Cousins, Salmons, Honeycut

Our rotation would be Wall, Beal, Webster, Nene, Cousins, Okafor, Ariza, Salmons and Price.
Okafor, Ariza and Salmons all come off the books after next year (only $1M of Salmons deal is guaranteed in the final year).

Going into next offseason, Nene and Beal would be our only 2 players under contract with Wall and Cousins up for extensions.

Holy overvaluing our own players, Batman! Let's say the Wiz buck that odds and get the #1 pick in this draft. There would be pretty hot debate over who the pick should be, essentially because there's no clear cut superstar or even star in this draft. Just for hypotheticals, let's assume it's McLemore. What do people think a sextet of McLemore, Seraphin, Booker, Crawford, Vesely and Singleton could actually win in the NBA? 10 games? 15 maybe? Our '15 first will quite likely (the good lord willing) be out of the lottery.

fishercob wrote:It's just not that valuable a package. The notion that Love, Howard, or Bosh would be anywhere near attainable for that collection of guys is simply ridiculous.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#1007 » by willbcocks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 am

nuposse04 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:

for

Ersan+2nd round pick

Well truthfully, I don't think anyone in this draft will be better than Ersan (In the right system) after the top 10. That and Ersan is actually having good games as of late, bucks fans may inflate his value more than we might. Ariza is a serviceable SF for them, but its mostly to clear salary, they have a lot of similar SFs as it right now. Luc, Harris. I'm not exactly sure what they need, or if they'd be even willing to part with him. They have talent at most positions, but nothing proven, kinda like us Sans Beal, Wall, and Nene.

And Mil's Best might be the worst tasting "beverage" on the planet.

I'd rather do the same thing for Ryan Anderson, who the Hornets have decided they can't start next to Anthony Davis.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1008 » by nuposse04 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 am

TGW wrote:You don't give up picks for players like Ersan, unless it's a second rounder. The chance of getting a player better than Ersan in the draft is worth more.

Anyway, do you think our FO is still interested in Enes Kanter or Derrick Favors? I'm still interested in getting either player, and I would trade Seraphin, Crawford, Vesely, and even our first this year to do so.

Fair enough, I didn't consider Ryan Anderson because I figured the asking price on him is probably a bit higher even. I'd like to get Kanter, but I think Utah will at least let one of their starting FC players walk, opening up more time for Kanter and Favors. I doubt they trade Favors.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,724

Post#1009 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 am

well they did steal him for a second rounder and gustavo lol. so i mean i don't know, i would offer crawford, jan and booker. for him. maybe a second. probably not a good enough offer but thats all i would do.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Re: If we trade Nene/Okafor/Ariza, who's picking up the slac 

Post#1010 » by VintaGe36 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 am

Trade Ariza/Okafor to LAL for Pau Gasol

Wall
Beal
Webster
Nene
Gasol

8-)
yoadknux
Pro Prospect
And1: 125

Post#1011 » by yoadknux » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 am

Hey Wiz fans. Would you guys do Okafor for Bass OR Green (Celtics) and Indy's first rounder?
Piston Prince wrote:Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
leswizards
Senior
And1: 199

Post#1012 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 am

yoadknux wrote:Hey Wiz fans. Would you guys do Okafor for Bass OR Green (Celtics) and Indy's first rounder?

Bass would be a definite yes from me. I don't think salaries match up though. Bass is having on off year (from an advanced statistics view), but he has had a better career than Green (advanced statistics view again), and I would prefer to have him over Green even though Green would probably be a better fit position wise. In the end I would do either though just to get the pick if I could get the salaries to match.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 199

Post#1013 » by leswizards » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 am

With the Lakers struggling, has their been any further pipe dreams discussed about getting Howard?
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1014 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 pm

The Wiz probably have the best package when you consider contracts that end before 2014 (Lakers dont want to take anything beyond that).

Ariza, Okafor, Unprotected 1st (this years draft), Seraphin, Crawford

Allows the Lakers to clear all of their books in 2014 WHILE getting a lottery pick and two young prospects that can give them immediate depth. They can still compete for titles for the next two years while commiting to a rebuilding plan.

So yeah, Wiz have the best package if the Lakers want to acknowledge the truth of their situation. If they want to BS and try to win a title this summer then they'll probably try to get a guy like Josh Smith or something.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1015 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 pm

leswizards wrote:
yoadknux wrote:Hey Wiz fans. Would you guys do Okafor for Bass OR Green (Celtics) and Indy's first rounder?

Bass would be a definite yes from me. I don't think salaries match up though. Bass is having on off year (from an advanced statistics view), but he has had a better career than Green (advanced statistics view again), and I would prefer to have him over Green even though Green would probably be a better fit position wise. In the end I would do either though just to get the pick if I could get the salaries to match.

I wouldn't. Green is a non-starter - with a double-meaning there, and Bass is a meh. Indy's pick is just a late 1st, so it's not worth tying up potential cap room for an extra year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1016 » by Dark Faze » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

lol at trying to swindle us into taking greens miserable contract
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1017 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:46 pm

LA really screwed up by getting D'Antoni and hiring their coach. Mitch screwed up big time.

LA would be a lot better if they would just play to the strengths of their players.

Feed to the post to Howard.
Pick and Roll with Nash.
Then give Kobe some time to be Kobe

Basically, with those vets, Brown was perfect. Why did they fire him. At this point, I would just let those players get in a room and work it out. Nash is a coach on the floor.

Kobe is the one that needs to adjust to make it work. He needs to play off ball more.

Its kind of like the situation with Crawford here regarding style. You just need to find times for Kobe to be ball dominate. That can be while Nash is on the bench. But that can't be the style the entire game.

It makes no sense that LA is this bad. They have Nash, Kobe, MWP, Gatol and Howard. Come on. Give me a break. That team is 17-24 :o There is just no excuse for that other that.

If I was LA, I would do whatever I can to keep Howard which starts with keeping him happy. Kobe is the one at the end of his career. Kobe needs to chill on the shot attempts. He shouldn't be taking more then 18-20 a game and no more then 5-6 3 balls. It can still work out for them. One more year of Kobe at 30M and they can rebuild around Howard.

Howard is their future, I doubt they let him slip out of their hands.

But a team with that much talent can figure it out and go on a run. I just don't believe that won't end up in the playoffs. That would be insane failure. A win tonight against MEM could help them turn it around. Looking at their schedule, they could go on a nice 6-1 run and get right back in it.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1018 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Agree completely with saying no to the thought of trading Okafor for Green or Bass. Green was a bad contract from the moment it was signed. Astonishing move from what's usually a smart front office. Bass's contract is less onerous, but he's not productive and he's signed for 3 years for 10-12% of the cap. No thanks.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#1019 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Nivek wrote:Agree completely with saying no to the thought of trading Okafor for Green or Bass. Green was a bad contract from the moment it was signed. Astonishing move from what's usually a smart front office. Bass's contract is less onerous, but he's not productive and he's signed for 3 years for 10-12% of the cap. No thanks.

I don't understand why GMs cant see what is so obvious to us. Jeff Green wasn't that good even before his surgery.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1020 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Yeah. I don't get what they're seeing. Maybe he's like super nice or something. Maybe it has something to do with the agent.

Someplace on these boards, I went through someone's list of "worst NBA contracts." Something like two-thirds of them were "should have known better" contracts. Not "in hindsight it turned out bad" (which is where I classified the Arenas contract, for example), but just knowing the information publicly available at the time, it was a bad move. Stuff like Portland giving the max to Brandon Roy even though they knew his knee was bone-on-bone and that he was going to be significantly diminished in a best-case scenario.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards