ImageImageImageImageImage

Otto Porter

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Otto Porter 

Post#1541 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 am

dangermouse wrote:I really really really hope he takes the starting spot off Pierce. Wall/Beal/Otto, or until Beal comes back Wall/Temple or Rice/Otto are our best 'back court'.

Otto needs to finish the preseason strong. I don't care if he starts or not but he has to play at least 20+mpg. Pierce is good for 30 at best an I know he played less than that last year. I just don't see Witt starting Porter yet. I do like his improvements now and in the SL, which of course, can be fool's gold due to the lack of defense and talent. I think he can be a very solid all-around player as he get stronger. He doesn't need to be a star.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#1542 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:12 pm

80sballboy wrote:
dangermouse wrote:I really really really hope he takes the starting spot off Pierce. Wall/Beal/Otto, or until Beal comes back Wall/Temple or Rice/Otto are our best 'back court'.

Otto needs to finish the preseason strong. I don't care if he starts or not but he has to play at least 20+mpg. Pierce is good for 30 at best an I know he played less than that last year. I just don't see Witt starting Porter yet. I do like his improvements now and in the SL, which of course, can be fool's gold due to the lack of defense and talent. I think he can be a very solid all-around player as he get stronger. He doesn't need to be a star.

After watching Otto this summer and now preseason, I have renewed confidence that he's going to be a Bradley Beal level talent. A good all around player. Will knockdown shots, rebound, defend, good passes, high IQ player. Basically, he will be the type of player in the NBA that he was in college.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
jangles86
Starter
And1: 937

Post#1543 » by jangles86 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

I wouldn't be upset if Otto started ahead of Pierce all year long.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1544 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 pm

If preseason was the real season :)

Then per 36 minutes

Code: Select all

REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF    TO    PTS
6.8   2.0   0.9   2.3   2.3   2.0   18.7
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1545 » by Nivek » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Yep, Porter has been just about league average in each of those categories so far in the preseason. Which isn't a knock on him -- it's HUGE progress and reason to be encouraged. At minimum, he's holding his own out there, which he wasn't doing last season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1546 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Nivek wrote:Yep, Porter has been just about league average in each of those categories so far in the preseason. Which isn't a knock on him -- it's HUGE progress and reason to be encouraged. At minimum, he's holding his own out there, which he wasn't doing last season.

Agreed, last year he was just physically overmatched, the game was moving too fast and he had limited confidence (at least that is what I perceived).

Maybe next year he will do more than just hold his own :)
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#1547 » by DCZards » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 pm

jangles86 wrote:I wouldn't be upset if Otto started ahead of Pierce all year long.

I still think Pierce should be the starter...at least at the outset of the season. And now that Beal is out and Rice will likely take his place there's no way that the Zards are going to start Rice AND Porter, both of whom are essentially rookies.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#1548 » by Nivek » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

I agree Zards. Except, I don't think I'd start Rice either. They don't have a ton of options, but I'd lean toward Silas or Miller. No matter who starts, I'd anticipate seeing a fair amount of Wall and Miller together. They could also consider starting Porter with Pierce. It'd be a big lineup, and Porter wouldn't have a ton of pressure on him when he's out there with Wall, Pierce, Nenê and Gortat. If I was to start Porter at the beginning of the season, I think that's how I'd do it.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1549 » by hands11 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 am

DCZards wrote:
jangles86 wrote:I wouldn't be upset if Otto started ahead of Pierce all year long.

I still think Pierce should be the starter...at least at the outset of the season. And now that Beal is out and Rice will likely take his place there's no way that the Zards are going to start Rice AND Porter, both of whom are essentially rookies.

Temple will start unless they pick up someone better from free agency.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#1550 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:38 am

Nivek wrote:I agree Zards. Except, I don't think I'd start Rice either. They don't have a ton of options, but I'd lean toward Silas or Miller. No matter who starts, I'd anticipate seeing a fair amount of Wall and Miller together. They could also consider starting Porter with Pierce. It'd be a big lineup, and Porter wouldn't have a ton of pressure on him when he's out there with Wall, Pierce, Nenê and Gortat. If I was to start Porter at the beginning of the season, I think that's how I'd do it.

How do see Miller and Wall together playing out?

You see Wall playing off the ball?
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1551 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:52 am

The young man is doing well. he shooting ok, he rebounding ok, and he is defending ok. Better than bad, nice and solid!
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1552 » by Higga » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:41 pm

I actually prefer Porter starting. Pierce can play off the bench with the rest of the AARP squad. There might be too much pressure on Porter if he came in off the bench as the 6th man, as the 6th man on a playoff team is often counted on to make big baskets. As a starter he can run with Wall, Beal(when he returns)Nene and Gortat and just be the 5th guy contributing while improving his game.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#1553 » by Nivek » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:51 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Nivek wrote:I agree Zards. Except, I don't think I'd start Rice either. They don't have a ton of options, but I'd lean toward Silas or Miller. No matter who starts, I'd anticipate seeing a fair amount of Wall and Miller together. They could also consider starting Porter with Pierce. It'd be a big lineup, and Porter wouldn't have a ton of pressure on him when he's out there with Wall, Pierce, Nenê and Gortat. If I was to start Porter at the beginning of the season, I think that's how I'd do it.

How do see Miller and Wall together playing out?

You see Wall playing off the ball?

I'd play Miller off the ball. I'd still want Wall with the ball in his hands. It's not ideal, of course, but Miller is a lot better than the other likely options.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1554 » by Dark Faze » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Wall has already been passive enough as it is since the playoffs. Adding a dominant ball handler like Miller to go with Paul Pierce who has been isolation heavy historically and in the preseason is going to remove most of the positive aspects of Walls game.

I think you just throw Porter to the Wolves and have him play the two. His defense has looked good. He moves his feet awesomely and he's got length to help him recover when he gets beat. He's also our second best off the ball player outside of Beal.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1555 » by dangermouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Higga wrote:I actually prefer Porter starting. Pierce can play off the bench with the rest of the AARP squad. There might be too much pressure on Porter if he came in off the bench as the 6th man, as the 6th man on a playoff team is often counted on to make big baskets. As a starter he can run with Wall, Beal(when he returns)Nene and Gortat and just be the 5th guy contributing while improving his game.

This. The Old Man Crew on the bench, Miller/Pierce maybe Nene coming in and beating the sh*t out of the opposing bench will win us games.

Porter is becoming a knockdown catch and shoot guy running off screens. Future Rip Hamilton? Wall/Beal/Porter with Beal and Porter running off multiple screens set by a rolling Gortat or a popping Hump/Nene, Wall prodding for holes.... There is so many options on offense there, and that is a solid defensive lineup.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1556 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:19 am

dangermouse wrote:
Higga wrote:I actually prefer Porter starting. Pierce can play off the bench with the rest of the AARP squad. There might be too much pressure on Porter if he came in off the bench as the 6th man, as the 6th man on a playoff team is often counted on to make big baskets. As a starter he can run with Wall, Beal(when he returns)Nene and Gortat and just be the 5th guy contributing while improving his game.

This. The Old Man Crew on the bench, Miller/Pierce maybe Nene coming in and beating the sh*t out of the opposing bench will win us games.

Porter is becoming a knockdown catch and shoot guy running off screens. Future Rip Hamilton? Wall/Beal/Porter with Beal and Porter running off multiple screens set by a rolling Gortat or a popping Hump/Nene, Wall prodding for holes.... There is so many options on offense there, and that is a solid defensive lineup.

Looks like that description is starting to finally pop up more often. Lets hope he can keep it up.
JudBuchler
Rookie
And1: 787

Post#1557 » by JudBuchler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am

I like Otto Porter, but Pierce should definitely start, maybe Otto can play the 2 though until Beal is back
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#1558 » by DCZards » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

hands11 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:

Looks like that description is starting to finally pop up more often. Lets hope he can keep it up.

Otto is going to have to show me a WHOLE lot more as a shooter before I start comparing him to Rip Hamilton. But, as I said even before he was drafted, I've always liked OP's all around game and his ability to move without the ball and make plays for teammates with his high bball IQ. And he's a particularly good rebounder for his size...primarily because of his bball smarts and his penchant for outworking and outhustling bigger, stronger guys.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1559 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 am

He is bust.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/ ... -headlines

Otto-matic: Porter drops 22 points vs. Knicks

The kids name has already reached the headlines.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#1560 » by theboomking » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 am

Since this is a sports forum and the whole point of the thing is to get ahead of yourself, I wonder what the endgame is with Porter if we get Durant. Could you start Wall, Beal, Porter, and Durant together and win championships? Would you use Porter to anchor the 2nd team? Do you trade OP for a PF or C? If you trade Porter and he continues to look as good as he has in summer league and preseason, what could you get for him?

Return to Washington Wizards