Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Re: Glen Rice Jr. 

Post#501 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:09 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
TGW wrote:
payitforward wrote:Tell me... who were the last 3 SL MVPs? Anyone remember? Anyone care? Any one of them turn into a terrific NBA player? Which one?

Caldwell Pope
Valuciunas
Lamb
Lilliard
Selby
Wall
B. Griffin
Bayless
N. Robinson
Foye

Pretty damn good list if you ask me.

And Rice Jr is the only second round pick on that list. But we really have people trying to paint it as a bad thing.. :nonono:

Selby was taken in round 2. But you are right that it is still a pretty good accomplishment for Rice.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#502 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:16 am

I stand corrected, Glen is 1 of 2 second round picks. Very happy for GR Jr and what this can hopefully do for his confidence.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#503 » by deneem4 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Just because Beal can go off for 25+ doesn't mean he will do it every. Single. Game.

That's what averaging means, you're putting up those numbers every night and defenses will be throwing everything at you.

Nobody scores 24ppg off 'looks'.. if you're scoring that much you are elite at creating your own looks, and getting to the FT line.

I'll be happy with Beal if he scores 19ppg on good efficiency. We don't need him gunning for 20+ppg on this team.

I kno what averaging means and I d
on't agree.
Who's going to be consistent other than wall or beal??
Nene??? He won't even play 3 games straight
pierce?? He wasn't too effective in Brooklyn
gortat?? Complete relative center, Wall with generate 80% of his offense

if we're going to be a contender now or when durant comes someone's needs to step into that 23+ range, we're not the spurs we need top scorers I see Beal doing it then wall coming later that season or the following season.

Pierce was quite effective in Brooklyn.. he averaged 13.5ppg on a 59.5 TS%. He would instantly be our most efficient wing scorer with those numbers.

And your post seems to imply that Wall and Beal are consistent scorers, which they aren't. Beal was extremely inconsistent last year. His monthly ppg went: 20.9, 14.5, 15.2, 16.1, 17.1, 19.1

^That's someone you expect to average 24ppg, every single night? Really now? It just doesn't make any logical sense to predict that. Try to keep your expectations within the realm of reality.

And he went into the playoffs and average 19 against 2 top defenses in the league...mot to mention he was only 20...if we're going to be contenders we need superstars beal and wall Is the best chance we got
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#504 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Summer_League#MVP_Winners

The Las Vegas MVP winners range from decent/promising players to perennial All Stars for the most part. It's good company for a 2nd round pick.

Great find, stevemcqueen1!

I remember Josh Selby tearing up summer league. I also recall Dominique Jones (even though he was not an SL MVP) destroying summer opponents. Neither one of those guys has panned out.

Glen Rice Jr, just like they do, has the talent. But will he be more like Lillard and Wall or like Jones and Selby?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#505 » by Joel Embust » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:59 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Glen Rice Jr, just like they do, has the talent. But will he be more like Lillard and Wall or like Jones and Selby?

Find out, on the next episode of Dragonball Z!
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#506 » by tontoz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Deivy202 wrote:Rice might one day take beal spot hes a better driv guy and playmaer possibly

Doubt it...rice can play sf and beal will average 24/4/5 next year he's not going anywhere

:lol: No 21 yo shooting guard has ever put up close to those numbers. Look it up.

I hope you don't actually believe those will be Beal's averages, if so I feel sorry for you. You will be quite disappointed

One guy did. :lol:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ami01.html
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#507 » by BruceO » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:08 pm

so...d league finals mvp and summer league finals mvp. Glen rice is like kawhi at everything

the one positive is we won't spend the rest of the summer complaining about how they sucked at summer league and were busts
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#508 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:42 pm

tontoz wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Doubt it...rice can play sf and beal will average 24/4/5 next year he's not going anywhere

:lol: No 21 yo shooting guard has ever put up close to those numbers. Look it up.

I hope you don't actually believe those will be Beal's averages, if so I feel sorry for you. You will be quite disappointed

One guy did. :lol:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ami01.html

The people who were close- Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, and Tyreke Evans
http://bkref.com/tiny/IPdrk

Kobe and Magic may have done it if their teams weren't championship caliber.

Beal is doing well scoring for his age. The only guards who were ahead of him scoring per 36 minutes at that age (18-20) were Irving, Bryant, Marbury, and Evans.
http://bkref.com/tiny/SXzyA

Still, Beal doesn't get that many free throw attempts so it may be tougher for him to become an elite scorer.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#509 » by nuposse04 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Eleqtrique wrote:

Find out, on the next episode of Dragonball Z!

every single preview for the next episode on that show spoiled the next episode :/
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#510 » by sfam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:And Rice Jr is the only second round pick on that list. But we really have people trying to paint it as a bad thing.. :nonono:

I think Rice, with all his shortcomings in terms of maturity, still played great. I think its terrific Rice got that award, because the guy needs confidence as much as anything in order to make a contribution this year. Him and Porter both probably got a good dose of much needed confidence heading into what will hopefully be a very productive offseason.

So mucho kudos to Rice and I hope he (and Porter) use this as a platform for continued improvement.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#511 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:28 pm

TGW wrote:
payitforward wrote:Tell me... who were the last 3 SL MVPs? Anyone remember? Anyone care? Any one of them turn into a terrific NBA player? Which one?

Caldwell Pope
Valuciunas
Lamb
Lilliard
Selby
Wall
B. Griffin
Bayless
N. Robinson
Foye

Yup, it is -- you are all right who pointed this out. And I was wrong. Go Glen -- get some minutes and establish yourself on the map!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#512 » by deneem4 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Glen rice is harden 2.0 his handle isn't as good but his defense makes up for it
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#513 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:22 pm

deneem4 wrote:Glen rice is harden 2.0 his handle isn't as good but his defense makes up for it

OK, this is a huge stretch - but he kind of reminds me of Mitch Richmond.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#514 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:09 am

Loved the way Rice played all summer. Well deserved MVP award.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#515 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
TGW wrote:

Caldwell Pope
Valuciunas
Lamb
Lilliard
Selby
Wall
B. Griffin
Bayless
N. Robinson
Foye

And Rice Jr is the only second round pick on that list. But we really have people trying to paint it as a bad thing.. :nonono:

Haters gon hate! Good job to rice jr- and seriously a lot of players played and he was the MVP - rice jr can't do better than being the most valuable--- right?!?!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#516 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:10 am

deneem4 wrote:Glen rice is harden 2.0 his handle isn't as good but his defense makes up for it

Then Rice is the biggest under-achiever in the history of everything.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#517 » by doclinkin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:05 am

Playing winning Summerleague ball may mean little overall, but it does suggest the coaching staff will give him more of an extended tryout to earn minutes this year. Webster's surgery and the fact that we have no real SG behind Beal would also tend to point to the same thing. I like our chances to see him get run even after a mistake or two.

Ditto Porter, inasmuch as we are not hellbent for the playoffs with Randy's extended contract. Witt has a little more room to experiment with the youngsters and let them improve while playing.

That being said with an eye to improvement, I'm not gonna bitch too much if GRrr makes mistakes of aggression rather than passivity. And want to see Porter pushed to do the same thing, not defer too much to his teammates when he is on the floor.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#518 » by AFM » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Summer_League#MVP_Winners

The Las Vegas MVP winners range from decent/promising players to perennial All Stars for the most part. It's good company for a 2nd round pick.

Great find, stevemcqueen1!

I remember Josh Selby tearing up summer league. I also recall Dominique Jones (even though he was not an SL MVP) destroying summer opponents. Neither one of those guys has panned out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

CCJ, I was convinced Selby would be a star. In summer league/rec games he's ridiculous. What's his deal? Is it attitude?
He's clearly the outlier on that list.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#519 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 am

AFM, I recall his sexual preference was questioned.

Selby denied being gay and he faded from the game right after that. I think nerves or teammates or whatever took him away from being the player that he clearly could have been.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#520 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 pm

GRJ played nearly the entire season in the D-League last year instead of warming the bench. I wonder where someone like Kevin would be in his development if mgmt had gone the D-League route during his rookie contract?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Washington Wizards