ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Draft Thread (Early offseason panic edition).

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Re: 2014 Draft Thread (Early offseason panic edition). 

Post#581 » by pancakes3 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:19 pm

WallToWall wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Jusuf Nurkic? He may be a good player to keep in europe for a while. Just thinking like Ernie...

If we keep on stashing abroad, we might as well just buy a euroleague team and fill the roster with said stashes.
Bullets -> Wizards
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#582 » by The Consiglieri » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:02 am

Curious. If no Gortat, what do you think the pick would have been? With Gortat we went 44-38 about 7 wins better than my pre-gortat prediction. Considering its the 18th pick in the draft, it's no huge loss and at least we made the playoffs and avoided that 13th pick potential nightmare scenario (probably never possible considering the strength of the west).

Nothing to be done now, might as well enjoy the playoffs (except for the vomit inducing return of the nightmare GM/Coach combo).

But I am curious what people think our record would have been w/no Gortat trade? Was this a 25 win team in that scenario? 20? 30?
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#583 » by Illuminaire » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 am

I think that depends on how the organization played their hand. But assuming that nothing else changed (and that Miller was never acquired because LOLwhy?), then I'd put the team at about 28-29 wins. Right in Detroit territory. That would mean the 8th pick, before lottery shuffling.

Now, if the Wiz management fed Otto 20 mins a game and played Ves at center in a desperate bid to raise his value to "ham sandwich", then I think they could have sniffed 23-24 wins and a top-5 pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#584 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 am

WallToWall wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Jusuf Nurkic? He may be a good player to keep in europe for a while. Just thinking like Ernie...

He looks like the second coming of Minnesota's Pekovic - enormous and an unstoppable inside scorer at 19 years old. There's no way the Wiz get him. He should go in the top 10.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#585 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 am

In addition to Deonte Burton, Russ Smith, Jarnell Stokes, Corey Jefferson, and if he declares Olivier Hanlan; add the following to my draft hopefuls in round two:

Davante Gardner, Lamar Patterson, Akil Mitchell, and Markel Starks.

Portsmouth MVP-type players usually do well in the NBA. Starks played with Otto Porter and can be a PG in the NBA. Mitchell would be a decent replacement should Ariza get a huge offer. He's a better Chris Singleton, defensively. Patterson strikes me as a guy who will be surprisingly effective at the next level. Gardner is big and nimble.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#586 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 am

Add Spencer Dinwiddie to the list of good round two picks. He's a SG/PG from Colorado.
Bye bye Beal.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#587 » by daSwami » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 am

I'm going to continue to beat the drum for Patrick Young and/or Aaron Craft. Oh, and UVA's Joe Harris (although not a "need" position) could end up having a decent NBA career.
:banghead:
RealGM

Post#588 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:29 am

Craft or Harris meet my criteria. I want the NBA to stop discriminating against white NCAA ballers. They can play. So can Wolters.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#589 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Add Spencer Dinwiddie to the list of good round two picks. He's a SG/PG from Colorado.

Dinwiddie and Kehm Birch making surprising announcements that they're coming out makes the Wiz pick more valuable. They both probably go a little before the Wiz pick but could slip, and even if they do go earlier, they push someone else back that the Wiz otherwise wouldn't have a shot at - maybe an Elfrid Payton.

Both Dinwiddie and Birch need to get stronger, but we're talking about mid 2nd rounders, so you expect some weaknesses. I don't see Dinwiddie helping at the point, but he'd be the backup 2 - allowing the Wiz to trade Webster - and I think he's clearly better than Rice. Birch is like a junior Larry Sanders - I think he'll measure very long in the standing reach at the combine.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#590 » by dobrojim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:In addition to Deonte Burton, Russ Smith, Jarnell Stokes, Corey Jefferson, and if he declares Olivier Hanlan; add the following to my draft hopefuls in round two:

Davante Gardner, Lamar Patterson, Akil Mitchell, and Markel Starks.

Portsmouth MVP-type players usually do well in the NBA. Starks played with Otto Porter and can be a PG in the NBA. Mitchell would be a decent replacement should Ariza get a huge offer. He's a better Chris Singleton, defensively. Patterson strikes me as a guy who will be surprisingly effective at the next level. Gardner is big and nimble.

don't we already have our TA replacement signed for another 3 years? OP!

Maybe Mitchell could be depth....
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#591 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:26 pm

The Wiz pick gets more valuable - Mitch McGary is entering the draft because he was facing a 1 year suspension for marijuana use. Geebus, how does using marijuana get you a full year suspension? Poor kid's been trying to rehab through serious injuries. If weed works as well for the pain as prescription painkillers, it's probably safer and definitely less addictive, but I digress. If he comes back 100%, he develops into a starting NBA big, imo.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#592 » by fishercob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 pm

If smoking weed gets you a year ban from college basketball, I would have been banned for a couple millenia.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#593 » by Severn Hoos » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:55 pm

fishercob wrote:If smoking weed gets you a year ban from college basketball, I would have been banned for a couple millenia.

Does not actually being any good at basketball get you banned? (I'll let you decide if I'm talking about you or myself...)
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#594 » by hands11 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:37 am

Just looking around for some young rebounding help. Even better if they can offensive rebound and defend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUKJ4BmRHY[/youtube]

Eric Moreland Oregon State 22 6' 10"

Shawn Long La Lafayette 21 6' 10"

Ryan Watkins Boise State

Khem Birch UNLV
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#595 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 pm

hands11 wrote:Just looking around for some young rebounding help. Even better if they can offensive rebound and defend.

Ryan Watkins Boise State

Khem Birch UNLV

I really like Long as un underrated prospect, but I haven't heard that he's coming out, and he did have a recent arrest, so he probably should stay in school and build a better rep.

Moreland's a big physical talent and a strong rebounder and shot-blocker. But his offense is terrible, at this point. He seems like a low BBIQ player who should get a look after playing in the D league for a couple of years.

Watkins isn't a prospect, imo. Birch I've talked about a few times. I'm a fan - think he's a smaller Larry Sanders.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#596 » by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Even with the free agent signings of the oldheads, I don't think anything changes as far as our draft strategy goes.

a) In the 2nd round, go BPA.
B) Our needs remain the same: backup PG, stretch 4, and future C.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#597 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:43 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Even with the free agent signings of the oldheads, I don't think anything changes as far as our draft strategy goes.

a) In the 2nd round, go BPA.
B) Our needs remain the same: backup PG, stretch 4, and future C.

I agree - go BPA. Even drafting middle of the 2nd, this draft seems so deep that we can get a legit player. I wish we had an earlier 2nd to go with it. Apparently Jordan Adams changed his mind and will enter it. If he gets on the right team, he could be ROY and might not get picked until early 2nd.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#598 » by pancakes3 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Wow. Slid all the way to page 3.

Here are all the measurements. Highlights include Adrien Payne's 7'4 wingspan. Lowlights include Vonleh only being 6'8 barefoot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2066 ... -prospects
Bullets -> Wizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#599 » by nate33 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:14 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Wow. Slid all the way to page 3.

Here are all the measurements. Highlights include Adrien Payne's 7'4 wingspan. Lowlights include Vonleh only being 6'8 barefoot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2066 ... -prospects

Here's another link with sortable measurements:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... s=0&sort=2

Keeping my eye on Nik Stuaskas. He has the 5th best lane agility out of all players and a very respectable 35.5" max vertical, despite having a really lousy body fat index of 12.1. Get that kid on a proper weight training program and diet and he should be a rock-solid NBA athlete to go with his well-known shooting ability.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#600 » by hands11 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:
hands11 wrote:Just looking around for some young rebounding help. Even better if they can offensive rebound and defend.

Ryan Watkins Boise State

Khem Birch UNLV

I really like Long as un underrated prospect, but I haven't heard that he's coming out, and he did have a recent arrest, so he probably should stay in school and build a better rep.

Moreland's a big physical talent and a strong rebounder and shot-blocker. But his offense is terrible, at this point. He seems like a low BBIQ player who should get a look after playing in the D league for a couple of years.

Watkins isn't a prospect, imo. Birch I've talked about a few times. I'm a fan - think he's a smaller Larry Sanders.

Good stuff Ruz

I'm just starting to look at the draft closer. I was kind of busy enjoying that playoff run and since we only have a 2nd, well.

Return to Washington Wizards