Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Wizards Interested in DeJuan Blair! 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:56 pm

:clap:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Juan-Blair

The Washington Wizards are interested in DeJuan Blair.

Blair is a free agent, but the Wizards would like to acquire Blair via a sign-and-trade.

The San Antonio Spurs may have difficulty finding an acceptable trade package for Blair from the Wizard

We had quite a bit of discussion about his career and whether he'd be any good years back. If they add him and he stays healthy they will never regret it.

The Wizards seeking a sign and trade is also like sweet music to my ears. :)
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Wizards Interested in DeJuan Blair! 

Post#2 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Only problem with Blair is he's horrible defensively.

Ariza, Vesely, Booker, Séraphin and Singleton sound like potential candidates in a S&T.

Ariza would be the one able to help Spurs immediately and in IMO would vault them back to the finals with a guy to backup Leonard and also play the SG spot. Vesely and Singleton could be decent reclamation projects.

Maybe Bonner + Blair for Ariza?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 pm

^ Already posted something like that in the trade thread (added Booker going to SA).

I was going to lock this thread, but figured I'd let CCJ have this one. :D
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Anybody else here to see the CCJ fangasm.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#5 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:22 pm

"The San Antonio Spurs may have difficulty finding an acceptable trade package for Blair from the Wizards."

I laughed when I read this.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#6 » by mhd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:24 pm

I'd trade Singleton or Ves for Blair, but NOT Booker, and especially NOT Ariza. Booker is far more mobile and is underrated. Ariza is a fantastic wing defender and a player capable of playing PF against small ball teams.

SAS could use Singleton for sure as an extra athletic defender.
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Only problem with Blair is he's horrible defensively.

Ariza, Vesely, Booker, Séraphin and Singleton sound like potential candidates in a S&T.

Ariza would be the one able to help Spurs immediately and in IMO would vault them back to the finals with a guy to backup Leonard and also play the SG spot. Vesely and Singleton could be decent reclamation projects.

Maybe Bonner + Blair for Ariza?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rde01.html

Blair was the best offensive rebounder in the NBA in 2010-2011. He's been top 10 in FG% and STL%.
Blair can score in addition to being a great rebounder. Averages 14.9 and 11.1 per-36
He is better than average, 17.0 PER and .138 WS/48 for his career.
Bad defender or not, his DRtg was 99 this season (that's a good defensive rating).
Playoff stats are better for his career: 17 and 12 per-36; 23.1 PER, .221 WS/48, 120 ORTg

As for a S&T, Blair only made around $1M a season. Is any other team offering him a fat contract?

Gregg Popovich didn't utilize him in the playoffs and perhaps the asking price isn't that high. To me, the most logical trade would be Trevor Booker for Blair.
Bye bye Beal.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#8 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 pm

YESSSSSS Get him Ernie please. :pray:
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#9 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:30 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Anybody else here to see the CCJ fangasm.

I got my popcorn out.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/7/13 ... juan-blair

MEH

Booker is taller and more athletic. And based on some interviews with him last year, he had changed the way he trains. Basically he was over training and not resting enough. Rest is very important.

I was kind of hoping to see if he could get a healthy year in. Dude is real fast and strong and the team was looking to run more this year. Why would a 270 Blair with questionable knees fit in with that.

Both can rebound. Both can't shoot a FT. But Booker is faster and a better leaper. Sounds like a better fit for the Wizards then Blair. At least in some ways.

Blair is interesting though. Big boy. Been at SA for a few years so they winning experience would be good for the Wizards.

Its a fringe move. Nothing I would get to excited about either way.
RealGM

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:36 pm

mhd wrote:I'd trade Singleton or Ves for Blair, but NOT Booker, and especially NOT Ariza. Booker is far more mobile and is underrated. Ariza is a fantastic wing defender and a player capable of playing PF against small ball teams.

SAS could use Singleton for sure as an extra athletic defender.

I would trade Booker for Blair in a heartbeat. Trevor is in a contract year. Booker is good and I agree, underrated, mhd. He's also missed a lot of games injured. The main reason I would definitely trade him is his minutes would disappear.

Singleton for Blair is a no-brainer.

Ariza makes far more money and can only be traded if SA includes salary to match.

The trade I suspect will happen is Kevin Seraphin for Blair, which even though Blair is better probably helps SA a lot.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#11 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm

SA needs a SF.. They signed Pendergraph at PF last week

They have NO ONE at SF behind Leonard. Captain Jack is gone and T-Mac even if back wasn't getting burn.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#12 » by Nivek » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Last season was Blair's worst (PPA of 88), but he was above average each of his previous seasons. He's not horrible defensively -- in my stuff, he was below average this season, but not by a ton. Remember, his defense gets measured against Duncan, who's an all-time great on D. He's an upgrade all the way around over the guys the Wizards currently have in reserve big man spots.

II'm not sure why the Wizards are trying to sign & trade for him. Maybe he has an offer from another team that's above the minimum. Seems like he would have been a good candidate for the BAE. Sigh.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 pm

hands11 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Anybody else here to see the CCJ fangasm.

I got my popcorn out.

If they acquire DeJuan Blair, I will yell, "Yes!!!" so loudly that my neighbor might think I'm finally getting some.

:)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Nivek wrote:Last season was Blair's worst (PPA of 88), but he was above average each of his previous seasons. He's not horrible defensively -- in my stuff, he was below average this season, but not by a ton. Remember, his defense gets measured against Duncan, who's an all-time great on D. He's an upgrade all the way around over the guys the Wizards currently have in reserve big man spots.

II'm not sure why the Wizards are trying to sign & trade for him. Maybe he has an offer from another team that's above the minimum. Seems like he would have been a good candidate for the BAE. Sigh.

That's likely, IMO. Other teams can use an energetic rebounder who scores better than Reggie Evans.
Bye bye Beal.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#15 » by BruceO » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:02 pm

As soon as I saw this i thought ccj and fangasm. I came to post it to give him one only to see he had stayed the thread himself which is perfect Lol.

Who cares what numbers for ratings you guys post or if we got a duplicate player. As long as we get him and one of our guys who wanted him forever gets him and gets very happy that's almost a win for the season. That's what fan hood is about and at least one of us gets happy and hopefully it works out as well as the weather are undefeated with almonds on the team thing, which with Glen rice being a duplicate player its like CCJ is getting his wishes and the wizards brass really do pay attention to what we say.

Either way. It's been nice to get him for ccjs happiness.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#16 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Nivek wrote:Last season was Blair's worst (PPA of 88), but he was above average each of his previous seasons. He's not horrible defensively -- in my stuff, he was below average this season, but not by a ton. Remember, his defense gets measured against Duncan, who's an all-time great on D. He's an upgrade all the way around over the guys the Wizards currently have in reserve big man spots.

That's likely, IMO.

Right.

Aren't we all out of exemptions ?

This deal isn't making a ton of sense to me yet.

Replacing him for Kevin ... MEH. He is a better rebounder but he is 6-7 275. Is that really the kind of help we need at back up center ? It would be an ok deal I guess. Kevin hasn't proven he can be a tough rebounder yet. Not that he still can't. Thats your risk. Kevin does have some nice hooks. Just not sure he is maturing properly though. Blair is defiantly a more experienced smoother more focused basketball player. And he is more mature though a similar age.

PF would be more interesting, but Booker is already a rebounder. And an inch taller and more athlete to run with our runners. I was thinking this would be the year he stays healthy from his interviews. Never was injured in college.

For Singleton ? Well we get to see how his shooting looks today. Singleton is actually my underdog from the Ves, Kevin, Booker, Singleton group. While summer league doesn't prove you can do it in real games, we know Singleton some already so we should be able to see if he has improved on things.

Now if SA wants to do a package with Splitter in it, now that starts to make a lot more sense.

We need another tall center that can rebound and hit FTs.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#17 » by AFM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Blair > Seraphin. Can't teach toughness. Seraphin plays like a gentrified yup anyway.
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 pm

hands, to say Booker is a rebounder without quantifying it and comparing the two is the reason why some GMs don't get it.

To compare height and weight with Seraphin also fails to consider rebounds, possessions, and potential wins. Blair isn't 6' 7". He's more like 6' 5 1/2". He's listed at 275 but he was 315 at Pitt, and probably goes in the 280s now. He's never going to look or be as athletic as Seraphin. Kevin is never going to get rebounds like Blair.

hands, you really want to wait to see what Singleton might be? Come on out and say you don't like Blair at all. It's okay to me and fine if that's the way you feel. I think you know what I said years back and I think if he comes to the team you're going to become a fan real quickly of Blair. He's a basketball player.

Booker is a basketball player who brings it, too. I like him.

Kevin Seraphin really, really, really had a bad season last year. I believe, however, Kevin Seraphin is EXACTLY what the Spurs need. I get that he can score and not be a liability defensively. But dude is a LOUSY PLAYER in WS/48. It's what he doesn't do that hurts teams. He jacks shots and doesn't rebound. He doesn't get 50/50 balls. Seraphin is nowhere near the basketball player that DeJuan Blair is. Blair was winning gold medals abroad in junior national games years ago. He carried a team to the Final Four. His stats were BETTER than Blake Griffins, per the stat geeks at Wages of Wins (and me, too). To go by height and athleticism, yes, Seraphin is better. But no way on earth is Seraphin the better basketball player .... yet.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#19 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:30 pm

i'd give up Booker even if personally I like him, and think he's more talented simply because the roster demands a viable PF option who can grab rebounds when Okafor/Nene aren't on the court. Booker is a good change-of-pace guy and can play PF in a pinch but his value comes offensively with the mismatches he presents - a poor man's Faried with injury and size concerns. Plus, Booker's not going to see a lot of minutes this season anyway. If we can get Blair simply for the purpose that Seraphin won't be on the court? It'll be worth it.
Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#20 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:31 pm

AFM wrote:Blair > Seraphin. Can't teach toughness. Seraphin plays like a gentrified yup anyway.

I heard he shops at CVS.

Good thing this is a basketball topic. (I don't expect WTA to see that comment.) 8-)
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards