Wizards Interested in DeJuan Blair!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Wizards Interested in DeJuan Blair! 

Post#121 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Nivek wrote:Seraphin for Blair is a no-brainer. I don't see why the Spurs would be interested in Seraphin (or any of the Ernie Three), however.

Right, I think it's clear that SA wants players who have high BBIQ's. Seraphin's got about the lowest in the NBA.

I concur with Nate - I'd have no interest in Bonner - who's deficient in everything but shooting.

And I agree with Barely about Nene. And there's no need to trade him when - as nate points out - the Wiz can have 17 mil in cap space next offseason even with Nene on the team. Yes, his health questions make him a risk, but it's not a risk that's going to prevent the team from acquiring a max player next offseason - unless they acquire another veteran with a significant multi-year deal.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#122 » by TwentyOne920 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm not sure the Spurs use WP but they're typically high on players whose WP happens to be high.

Seraphin was turrible. Not sure he'd even get PT with TD/Splitter/Diaw/Bonner getting 90% of the big men minutes anyway.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#123 » by Higga » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm

I wouldn't want anyone the Spurs are willing to give up. I mean come on, RC Bufford vs. Ernie Grunfeld, that's not even fair...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#124 » by TwentyOne920 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Higga wrote:I wouldn't want anyone the Spurs are willing to give up. I mean come on, RC Bufford vs. Ernie Grunfeld, that's not even fair...

Grunfeld has actually been uncharacteristically competent this offseason.

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#125 » by Nivek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

TwentyOne920 wrote:
Higga wrote:I wouldn't want anyone the Spurs are willing to give up. I mean come on, RC Bufford vs. Ernie Grunfeld, that's not even fair...

Grunfeld has actually been uncharacteristically competent this offseason.

What? Not in my book.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#126 » by rockymac52 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm

TGW wrote:As someone who's interested but not in love with Blair as some others, I have to say this is pretty impressive:

from this:

Wow. That it impressive. Only thing that causes some slight hesitation on my part is the difference in his skin tone. Clearly there was different lighting or camera settings involved in these pictures, which is fine, obviously, but maybe those changes also help him appear more thin? I dunno, just a possibility. I would have guessed darker skin tone makes someone look thinner though, so that contradicts my theory completely.

Anyways, I'm late to the party, but signing Blair would be one of Ernie's best moves ever, IMO. He's a better Booker, basically. I'd trade Booker for him if I had to, because if we acquired Blair, he'd be getting all of the backup big minutes anyways, rendering Booker a little useless. Although I do like Booker in general, to be fair. I'm praying that no other teams are interested in Blair so far, so that maybe we can get him for the minimum somehow. That would more than make up for slightly overpaying Webster, IMO.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#127 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:58 pm

I am probably the only guy who thinks the slimmer he gets the less his rebound rate.

I liked fat Blair. Wonder why? :D
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#128 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 am

Ruzious wrote:
Nivek wrote:Seraphin for Blair is a no-brainer. I don't see why the Spurs would be interested in Seraphin (or any of the Ernie Three), however.

Right, I think it's clear that SA wants players who have high BBIQ's. Seraphin's got about the lowest in the NBA.

I concur with Nate - I'd have no interest in Bonner - who's deficient in everything but shooting.

And I agree with Barely about Nene. And there's no need to trade him when - as nate points out - the Wiz can have 17 mil in cap space next offseason even with Nene on the team. Yes, his health questions make him a risk, but it's not a risk that's going to prevent the team from acquiring a max player next offseason - unless they acquire another veteran with a significant multi-year deal.

The only deal that really seems to make sense is Ariza for Blair and Bonner. Washington wants to get tougher down low and improve rebounding, AND add another shooter (stretch 4). Blair fills the first, and Bonner fills the 2nd (44% 3pt last season, 42% career).

Ariza gives Spurs needed depth at SF, is versatile, a top defender with playoff experience. He would fit right in as they attempt another championship run.

I guess Diaw could be subbed for Bonner, but seemed to me was a more valuable part of their rotation.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am probably the only guy who thinks the slimmer he gets the less his rebound rate.

I liked fat Blair. Wonder why? :D

The problem was that after his rookie season, Pop decided to implement his own version of SSOL as the offense. Parker and Manu flying around the court, flinging passes for open 3s to guys like RJ, Gary Neal, George Hill, and even Steve Novak - resulting in Tim Duncan having his worst year as a pro and Blair's strength (rebounding) being seen as less important. Blair was the starter until the home stretch, where he got benched in favor of Antonio McDyess.

JParker227
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#130 » by JParker227 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Sorry to bust you guys bubble but we got Ernest Grunfeld as our GM, we aint getting Blair. It would make too much sense for that to happen, a young talented and underpaid big man is available and is just what we need. SO I can pretty much guarantee he will get signed by Cleveland, Miami, Knicks, Nets, Hawks, Pacers, some team like that. I love my Wizards but we don't make logical moves at all. We will wait for our opponents to grab him up. A young kid by the name of JJ Hickson has been available for the last 5 years, here is a kid that consistently gets double doubles night in and night out and has been bounced around the league, never to once land with the wizards. If we end up with blair it will shock the hell out of me.
RealGM

Post#131 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 am

You are right. I don't see it happening, either, JParker227.

I knew, even on draft night, that Ernie would not even pick him DeJuan Blair in round two when he was available. For him to pick him now would be shocking.
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#132 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 am

JParker227 wrote:Sorry to bust you guys bubble but we got Ernest Grunfeld as our GM, we aint getting Blair. It would make too much sense for that to happen, a young talented and underpaid big man is available and is just what we need. SO I can pretty much guarantee he will get signed by Cleveland, Miami, Knicks, Nets, Hawks, Pacers, some team like that. I love my Wizards but we don't make logical moves at all. We will wait for our opponents to grab him up. A young kid by the name of JJ Hickson has been available for the last 5 years, here is a kid that consistently gets double doubles night in and night out and has been bounced around the league, never to once land with the wizards. If we end up with blair it will shock the hell out of me.

I try to think of the cup half full as much as I can when it comes to this team and not obliterate Ernie in every post because I know he's pretty bad. But I think in this case, it seems like he's either stubborn and loyal to the guys he's picked or maybe he's looking for the best deal. If you want to keep Vesely and Seraphin (I doubt anybody would want Singleton or Booker), be patient and don't make a deal unless you have to. Don't trade Ariza for him and hold on to him as a potential piece down the line and after watching SL, it looks like we still may need him to play back up 2 and 3. How do you think we're getting Blair? It won't be through draft picks. The Spurs love foreign big men and I don't think I'd give up a 7-foot-1 Ves or a raw 6-9 Seraphin for a 6-7 Blair. If you can convince the Spurs that Singleton or Booker were born in South America, maybe they'll make the deal. :wink:
RustyMagoo
Senior
And1: 84

Post#133 » by RustyMagoo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:10 am

The love here for Blair is unreasonable. He's just not that good and he's injury-prone.

The 2nd round was years ago. Let it go.
RealGM

Post#134 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 am

Check his career rebound rate, career playoff PER, and that he started for the Spurs at age 20.

Rusty, you're entitled to your opinion of good. The guy is a load and he's younger than Seraphin.
Bye bye Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#135 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 am

^^ Blair is actually older he was born in April, 1989. Seraphin was born in December of the same year.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#136 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Ariza for Bonner and Blair is one of those rare trades that really help both teams get better immediately. Ariza is a better player, but both Bonner and Blair give us roles we need.
RealGM

Post#137 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Kanyewest wrote:^^ Blair is actually older he was born in April, 1989. Seraphin was born in December of the same year.

My bad. I thought Blair was a 1990 born player.
Bye bye Beal.
JParker227
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#138 » by JParker227 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I disagree in not trading Vesley or Seraphin for Blair. Regardless of the height, Blair would out muscle and out rebound Seraphin and Vesley all day everyday and everyone on this board knows that. We made a mistake with Vesley and he may turn out to be a good player down the line, but we drafted a 6'11 European that cant shoot regular baskets or free throws. That is practically unheard of in the last 10 years of European guys playing in the NBA. Even Oleksy Pecherov could shoot, and I don't understand why he never really got a chance to play (but that is another story). Although Seraphin has shown a lot of promise, Blair has played at an extremely high level with a championship team and they want to move the guy. Factor in how far the Spurs have made it into the playoffs the last 3 years and you could add at least another half year experience to his resume.

Dejuan Blair would give us a tough physical guy that can stand next to Nene or Okafor and we would be able to battle with the best front courts in the East, Blair gives us toughness and determination. something he showed in college and has continued to show in the NBA even at 6'7, and the Spurs want to move him

Cmon ernie get this guy in here and stop eating hot dogs.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#139 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 am

Don't you guys have the mini MLE?

I figured that should be enough to sign him.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#140 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 am

Blame Rasho wrote:Don't you guys have the mini MLE?

I figured that should be enough to sign him.

The mle was used on martell Webster. He only had one year with the Wizards so there was no significant exception to retain him other than the mle.

Return to Washington Wizards