Al Harrington signs With the Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Al Harrington signs With the Wizards 

Post#241 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:08 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ame-3-5-14

A team is not only about talent, its about personalities. Webster not only played well last year but he was a big part of the glue that held them together. In part with his humor.

Big Cheese is a funny dude. I always like hearing him interviewed much like I liked hearing Martell.

I busted on him pretty bad for his D last go around but I like what he adds to the team with his personality and tough guy approach on the court.

It was awesome seeing the old man get up that dunk. Gortat seemed to like it as well.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/E9AB4E ... zHUeGDdfVe
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#242 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Mar 7, 2014 8:07 am

hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/al-harrington-postgame-3-5-14

A team is not only about talent, its about personalities. Webster not only played well last year but he was a big part of the glue that held them together. In part with his humor.

Big Cheese is a funny dude. I always like hearing him interviewed much like I liked hearing Martell.

I busted on him pretty bad for his D last go around but I like what he adds to the team with his personality and tough guy approach on the court.

It was awesome seeing the old man get up that dunk. Gortat seemed to like it as well.

I agree with this, hands. I think GMs can't just throw a team together base on running, jumping and other athletic stats. Intangibles are important.

Al, Gooden and Professor. Respect the old school.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
hands11
Banned User

Post#243 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 7, 2014 2:17 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/al-harrington-postgame-3-5-14

I agree with this, hands. I think GMs can't just throw a team together base on running, jumping and other athletic stats. Intangibles are important.

We need to come up with a good name for this group. Old School is a working name but maybe there is something better. The Geritol Gang isn't going to work. Its to insulting. Wit said something about them being the AARP group or something like that. But that sucks as well.

Lets see what we can come up with...

Junk Yard Dogs might work. I think they would like that. JYD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#244 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 7, 2014 4:53 pm

hands11 wrote:We need to come up with a good name for this group. Old School is a working name but maybe there is something better. The Geritol Gang isn't going to work. Its to insulting. Wit said something about them being the AARP group or something like that. But that sucks as well.

The Dentures Mob?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#245 » by AFM » Fri Mar 7, 2014 5:16 pm

How about the playa pimp extraordinaires? The big mack daddy boss squad?

Al Harrington = GOAT Wizard
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#246 » by pancakes3 » Fri Mar 7, 2014 5:23 pm

The Dirty Thirty's. Nene's in that group.
Bullets -> Wizards
hands11
Banned User

Post#247 » by hands11 » Fri Mar 7, 2014 11:21 pm

pancakes3 wrote:The Dirty Thirty's. Nene's in that group.

Junk Yard Dogs
The Dirty Thirty

Not sure if they want to be known as dirty players though but it has a ring to it.

Maybe we can work that Professor thing in.

The Professor and the Junk Yard Dogs
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#248 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Sat Mar 8, 2014 3:28 am

Can just enhance Wittman's remarks and call them "The AAR-Three" / AAR3.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#249 » by pancakes3 » Sat Mar 8, 2014 4:48 am

Little Rascals
[image]http://www.northeastscooters.co.uk/Images/rascal388d.jpg[/image]
Bullets -> Wizards
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#250 » by payitforward » Sat Mar 8, 2014 10:49 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:

I agree -- if you want to build a team that ranks exactly as average, is tied longterm to a lot of injury-prone and old players, has no cap flexibility, consistently gives away future assets, is filled w/ bad draft picks, has to trade its off-season acquisitions for much more than it would have needed to give far better off-season choices, and other similar marvelous qualities -- there is no way you can do that by assembling guys with "athletic skills."

I mean you are not going to get that kind of team by drafting guys like Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons and so on. Athletic skills like these guys have aren't going to get you these results.

You want these results, really you are forced to look for other qualities. Now... are they really "intangible"? Age, being injury-prone, having no ability -- those kinds of things? Maybe so.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#251 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sun Mar 9, 2014 11:06 pm

I love this guy ^^^. Always brings the reality check...pay it forward!
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 am

payitforward wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

I agree -- if you want to build a team that ranks exactly as average, is tied longterm to a lot of injury-prone and old players, has no cap flexibility, consistently gives away future assets, is filled w/ bad draft picks, has to trade its off-season acquisitions for much more than it would have needed to give far better off-season choices, and other similar marvelous qualities -- there is no way you can do that by assembling guys with "athletic skills."

I mean you are not going to get that kind of team by drafting guys like Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons and so on. Athletic skills like these guys have aren't going to get you these results.

You want these results, really you are forced to look for other qualities. Now... are they really "intangible"? Age, being injury-prone, having no ability -- those kinds of things? Maybe so.

Two words: Javale. McGee.

Yeah, only drafting for athletic ability sucks.

--Confucius

- Yoda
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#253 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:I agree with this, hands. I think GMs can't just throw a team together base on running, jumping and other athletic stats. Intangibles are important.

You could have come up with even better (worse?) examples. But you miss my point.

Of course there are guys you avoid adding to your team, whatever their abilities (athletic or otherwise)! I wasn't for drafting JaVale McGee for example. Maybe you were? Maybe that's why you feel burned by "athleticism?"

But, do you really disagree that among the guys you *do* want on your team, it's good to have the most talented, youngest, least-expensive, and most long-term controllable? Or would you prefer to pay $16m a year to the statue of the player formerly known as "Nene?"
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 pm

payitforward wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:
payitforward wrote:I agree -- if you want to build a team that ranks exactly as average, is tied longterm to a lot of injury-prone and old players, has no cap flexibility, consistently gives away future assets, is filled w/ bad draft picks, has to trade its off-season acquisitions for much more than it would have needed to give far better off-season choices, and other similar marvelous qualities -- there is no way you can do that by assembling guys with "athletic skills."

You could have come up with even better (worse?) examples. But you miss my point.

Of course there are guys you avoid adding to your team, whatever their abilities (athletic or otherwise)! I wasn't for drafting JaVale McGee for example. Maybe you were? Maybe that's why you feel burned by "athleticism?"

But, do you really disagree that among the guys you *do* want on your team, it's good to have the most talented, youngest, least-expensive, and most long-term controllable? Or would you prefer to pay $16m a year to the statue of the player formerly known as "Nene?"

So.....let me quote myself, since you now agree with me but just wanted, for reasons beyond my understanding, to disagree with me even though you don't disagree with what I'm saying.

pine wrote:I agree with this, hands. I think GMs can't just throw a team together base on running, jumping and other athletic stats. Intangibles are important.

--Confucius

- Yoda
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#255 » by Upper Decker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Is there a player on a playoff bound team that actually get's minutes who's worse than Harrington?

He's averaging 15MPG and shooting an astounding .361 on 6 attempts per game. He doesn't rebound. He's Antawn Jamisonesque on defense. I understand Seraphin and Booker suck, but how is this guy on an NBA roster?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#256 » by Nivek » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Upper Decker wrote:Is there a player on a playoff bound team that actually get's minutes who's worse than Harrington?

He's averaging 15MPG and shooting an astounding .361 on 6 attempts per game. He doesn't rebound. He's Antawn Jamisonesque on defense. I understand Seraphin and Booker suck, but how is this guy on an NBA roster?

Only guy who comes close is Kendrick Perkins, but even Perkins has been significantly more productive than Harrington this season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#257 » by TGW » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Al Harrington stinks.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#258 » by tontoz » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:11 am

Anyone still happy that we signed Al?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#259 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:26 am

tontoz wrote:Anyone still happy that we signed Al?

Problem is that Dimwitt plays him. I have no problem with fat Albert as our 15th man. Good personality, hard nosed... Just isn't athletic enough anymore.
In Rizzo we trust
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#260 » by Kanyewest » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:32 am

tontoz wrote:Anyone still happy that we signed Al?

Today not really but it is one game. He had decent games over the previous 3 out of 4 games. Once Nene gets back, Harrington probably won't see much playing time. IIRC, Harrington did receive a lot of contact when he drove to the rim but didn't get calls from the officials.

Return to Washington Wizards