ImageImageImageImageImage

Al Harrington signs With the Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: Al Harrington signs With the Wizards 

Post#221 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 4, 2013 8:35 pm

I'll light a candle for the team's defense. It is going to be in trouble once Harrington comes back.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#222 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 4, 2013 11:23 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Harrington practiced today apparently. Sounding like this team is slowly coming back to full health.

Harrington back? That would be big, yeah. pfffff.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#223 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 pm

:wave: See-ya Al, barely saw much of you this season
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... ee-Surgery
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#224 » by fishercob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

With the team's bench so depleted and crappy, we should really cut Harrington to free up the roster spot -- unless we are able to make a trade. The Wizards just can't afford to use a roster spot on an unproductive player who isn't even available to play. I would not wait a month to see how things are before moving on.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#225 » by dlts20 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 am

this is the one guy I still want but it seems like pretty much all Wiz fans hate him. We go around on other boards saying we are now 100% healthy but I always respond and say we are not 100% until Al gets back. I know most hate his game and he wasnt playing great this year but I still trust him more than any of our backup bigs. I want that veteran presence. The thing I love the most about him is that he has no fear. You can tell some of our guys look up to other guys around the league while Al plays like he's just as good as them. He wont back down from anyone and will go hard right back at them.

If he can get over his black hole tendacies then I think he could be perfect for us. I like Book, JV, and KS but I dont trust any of them. I trust Al. Now we cant depend on him at this stage of his career and even if he comes back, he probably wont be back to game speed & timing until the playoffs but I still think it would be a huge boost. I could see with everyone cold tonight, him winning the game along side Wall. He's got that kinda will.

I also loved reading his comments a couple of weeks ago about us not getting over the .500 hump. He said that everyone has to remember that this team has never been to the playoffs before so its a learning process. You have to learn and go through it before it becomes natural. He said thats why we are having the roller coasters. I think after we make the playoffs this year, guys will feel more like a natural playoff team and will take it to the next level. As of right now its a process, just like the .500 hump
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#226 » by Upper Decker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:46 am

This guy is done. He's a waste of a roster spot. Just cut him already!
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#227 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 10:25 pm

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... ee-surgery

so, is this a good thing?

I guess its better then giving Jan burn.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#228 » by dlts20 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 11:45 pm

Hell yes its important. I cant believe people say we dont need this guy? Is he a free candy ball hog? Yes but he also had that hardcore mentality that no one on our team has, maybe besides Ariza. I want guy with no fear who wont back down from Lebron. Unlike Ariza, Al can score on his own. Like I dont see us going without a FG in OT if he's playing. I just see him helping us big time down the stretch, even if its just from a mental standpoint.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#229 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:08 am

dlts20 wrote:Hell yes its important. I cant believe people say we dont need this guy? Is he a free candy ball hog? Yes but he also had that hardcore mentality that no one on our team has, maybe besides Ariza. I want guy with no fear who wont back down from Lebron. Unlike Ariza, Al can score on his own. Like I dont see us going without a FG in OT if he's playing. I just see him helping us big time down the stretch, even if its just from a mental standpoint.

As long as he is legit healthy, he should help. He D sucked last time he played. Hopefully that was part being injured.

He can be our AJ at a min. Always wanted to see AJ off the bench.
hands11
Banned User

Post#230 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 8, 2014 11:52 pm

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ton-2-8-14

Interview with AH.

Says he feels better then he did even in preseason when he felt great.

Also of note, he wants to focus on playing good defense. I'm not an AH expert. Has he ever played good D ?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#231 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:00 am

hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/al-harrington-2-8-14

Interview with AH.

Says he feels better then he did even in preseason when he felt great.

Also of note, he wants to focus on playing good defense. I'm not an AH expert. Has he ever played good D ?

Al was never a very good player, and he is completely over the hill by now. In the 18 minutes a game he played for us for 7 games earlier this season he was absolutely terrible in every way except shooting the 3 a high % -- everything else so bad that didn't make up for it. You may remember that we lost most of those games.

The idea that Al Harrington can help us is plain silly. He's been in the league since he was 18, and there's nothing left. He costs us next to nothing (the league pays part of vet minimum salaries), but that's about the best thing you can say for him.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#232 » by 80sballboy » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:24 am

AH played seven games and shot 43% from 3 and 37% from the field. That's all he can do because he doesn't rebound (1.4 per game in 18mpg this year) or defend. But there are stretch 4's out there that are valuable that are one-dimensional and there's no reason why we can't use him a few minutes off the bench if those guys aren't scoring. He can only help us if he's healthy and that's really the biggest question. Considering bench is still a problem when Webster is cold and you don't know what you're going to get from Seraphin, I welcome big Al back.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#233 » by Nivek » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:35 am

Even if Al Harrington could continue shooting threes at a 43% clip (which he won't -- he's a career 35-38% is FAR more likely), he still wouldn't help the Wizards at all if he kept doing nothing in the other phases of the game. In fact, he'd hurt because he'd be taking minutes from more productive players (or less unproductive, if you prefer).
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#234 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:46 am

If we could just give minutes to his 3pt. shooting, fine -- but we can't. You get everything a guy does and everything he doesn't do when you put him on the floor. So, no, he's no help even when others are cold.

For example, Singleton has been much better than Al in his limited minutes this year. He's even shot the 3 at a higher % (and often -- tho not as often as Al).
dlts20
RealGM

Post#235 » by dlts20 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:18 am

I think you guys are being a lil too hard on him. It was just 7 games after not playing in forever. I mean look how Rose looked. It takes time to get your game and timing back. I use to even think about going all out and starting Al at the 4 with Nene off the bench just to see how Wall would look with a stretch 4. He's good off the bench though.

Al was terrible in every phase except the 3 but the worst thing by far to me is just him being free candy. I could take you being suspect in phases if you play team ball. Al has that NY, J-Craw, Dray ball hog game to him. Infact he's the worst of the group, maybe except for Craw. He truly thinks he's the best player on the floor every game and deserves 20 shots even though he's not nearly the best.

The flip side is that attitude and fearlessness is really needed on this team. He wont back down against any of the big guns. Indy has destroyed us twice and totally shut us down but he's the type of guy I could see playing well against them and not being intimidated. Same with the Heat and so on. We need that. Free Candy to the resuce :lol:
hands11
Banned User

Post#236 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:24 am

dlts20 wrote:I think you guys are being a lil too hard on him. It was just 7 games after not playing in forever. I mean look how Rose looked. It takes time to get your game and timing back. I use to even think about going all out and starting Al at the 4 with Nene off the bench just to see how Wall would look with a stretch 4. He's good off the bench though.

Al was terrible in every phase except the 3 but the worst thing by far to me is just him being free candy. I could take you being suspect in phases if you play team ball. Al has that NY, J-Craw, Dray ball hog game to him. Infact he's the worst of the group, maybe except for Craw. He truly thinks he's the best player on the floor every game and deserves 20 shots even though he's not nearly the best.

The flip side is that attitude and fearlessness is really needed on this team. He wont back down against any of the big guns. Indy has destroyed us twice and totally shut us down but he's the type of guy I could see playing well against them and not being intimidated. Same with the Heat and so on. We need that. Free Candy to the resuce :lol:

But the question is, can he defend? Even given your points, he was AJ terrible earlier in the year. Has he ever been good or at least passable at defending ?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#237 » by Dat2U » Sun Feb 9, 2014 9:24 am

dlts20 wrote:I think you guys are being a lil too hard on him. It was just 7 games after not playing in forever. I mean look how Rose looked. It takes time to get your game and timing back. I use to even think about going all out and starting Al at the 4 with Nene off the bench just to see how Wall would look with a stretch 4. He's good off the bench though.

Defensively he's backed down his entire career so I'm not so sure what your referring to. Especially last few years, he's basically been a turnstile. So this "fearlessness" or "attitude" is only a trait displayed when he's on the offensive end of the court. That's not the type of vet you want. Someone that feels they only need to contribute when it's convenient for them (i.e. only when the ball is in their hands). We've had enough of that during the AJ, Arenas days.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#238 » by LyricalRico » Sun Feb 9, 2014 2:42 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/al-harrington-2-8-14

Interview with AH.

Fun to watch, thanks for sharing. Definitely rooting for the guy and hoping that he can do something to help this team down the stretch. Go Wiz!
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#239 » by mohammed10 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:58 pm

Wait...Harrington is still on the team? Maynor, too?

The hell, you say...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
hands11
Banned User

Post#240 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:37 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... er-2-21-14

Cheese says he is ready when Randy is.

So here we go. Nene reunited with Al Big Cheese Harrington and Andre Shoes Miller.

We going to get to watch some old man basketball now baby. 40 somethings unit and get behind The Over The Hill Gang. George Allen would be proud.

Return to Washington Wizards