Bradley Beal - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Re: Bradley Beal - Part II 

Post#1381 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Mon May 11, 2015 1:25 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:Beal put the lockdown on Kyle Korver in Game 3. Korver scored 6 points on 5 shot attempts in 37 minutes. Those 6 points came off of two made 3-pointers, both off of long offensive rebounds. So basically, Korver was scoreless when Beal was on him.

This. I know we all imagined Beal as 20 ppg guy with good defense, but what if that isn't who he his? Instead he's a elite defender and shooter who struggles to get his own shot and create for others? That outcome wouldn't be tragic on this team. My point is not to denigrate Brad's offense, but rather to dap him for his D. Shutting down Korver is huge.

Totally. We all imagined he'd be Wall's second fiddle guy but that's just not who he is. He can certainly be the third best player on a championship team though.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1382 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Higga wrote:Yeah we need Beal to play like a superstar to win this series and I'm not sure if he's quite there just yet. I like him as much as anyone(if not more so)but his game is still rounding into form. But he definitely has it in him to drop a 30 spot tomorrow and lead us to a W.

The win ended up coming from a really well rounded effort by our regular starters plus Porter. That was surprising and comforting. I thought Beal was going to have to haul the load by himself, but Nene and Pierce really stepped up in critical moments and the bench carried their weight. Beal is still going to have to lead us until Wall gets back, but it's a much more manageable task when he's got Pierce and Nene to help prop him up.

Beal is really resilient and he's got the competitive heart of a champion. That's one thing that's really revealed itself this postseason IMO. He was all piss and vinegar in the Toronto series, just played with terrific intensity and focus. Then he comes out swinging in the Atlanta series, leading us to a win in game one before messing that ankle up in the fourth quarter. And yet he's out there in game two and three fighting on. He is never going to quit on us like Lowry and Teague have on their teams, and like Irving is doing to Cleveland.

Whether we win or lose this series, I couldn't be more proud of the way this team has handled themselves these past two postseasons.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1383 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:33 pm

20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:
fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:Beal put the lockdown on Kyle Korver in Game 3. Korver scored 6 points on 5 shot attempts in 37 minutes. Those 6 points came off of two made 3-pointers, both off of long offensive rebounds. So basically, Korver was scoreless when Beal was on him.

This. I know we all imagined Beal as 20 ppg guy with good defense, but what if that isn't who he his? Instead he's a elite defender and shooter who struggles to get his own shot and create for others? That outcome wouldn't be tragic on this team. My point is not to denigrate Brad's offense, but rather to dap him for his D. Shutting down Korver is huge.

Totally. We all imagined he'd be Wall's second fiddle guy but that's just not who he is. He can certainly be the third best player on a championship team though.

Wall is not a first fiddle.

Beal was always going to be the #3 on a championship team, Wall is #2 and KD/Boogie is the #1
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1384 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 pm

While I have enjoyed Beal's performance in the playoffs, I do think we've gotten to the point of hyperbole. His offensive efficiency for the postseason is below average because his 2pt shooting is bad and his turnovers are up about as much as his assists. He's a bit better overall in the playoffs than he was in the regular season (PPA 109 to a regular season 99), but we haven't seen a big leap yet -- certainly not the big leap I'm hoping to see from him.

His defense has been better, though. Not that it was a problem in the regular season -- he was about average. In the playoffs, he's been a little better than average on defense.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1385 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:04 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:While I have enjoyed Beal's performance in the playoffs, I do think we've gotten to the point of hyperbole. His offensive efficiency for the postseason is below average because his 2pt shooting is bad and his turnovers are up about as much as his assists. He's a bit better overall in the playoffs than he was in the regular season (PPA 109 to a regular season 99), but we haven't seen a big leap yet -- certainly not the big leap I'm hoping to see from him.

His defense has been better, though. Not that it was a problem in the regular season -- he was about average. In the playoffs, he's been a little better than average on defense.

Quote the posts that indicate this 'hyperbole' you're talking about? Sounds like you came in already biased with a negative attitude against the player you're discussing. I'm starting to notice a pattern re: Beal, it's like some people are secretly dying to trade him or something.. no he's not Harden, let's all collectively get over it okay?

No one has said he's taken a leap, people are mostly impressed with his defense and overall poise given the circumstances.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1386 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:
fishercob wrote:

Beal was always going to be the #3 on a championship team, Wall is #2 and KD/Boogie is the #1

I don't know. KD is one story, but Cousins hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA. If he were here, it would absolutely still be Wall's team.

I'm genuinely curious about the locker room dynamics if Durant did end up coming here. I have a suspicion that it would still be Wall's team. That's his personality and the level of control he exerts over the team is huge. I think you would see some confusion about the leadership and identity of the team much like you saw in Miami after LeBron showed up. And in that instance, the only reason Wade stepped aside and allowed LeBron to seize control of the team was because he got old and started to decline. Wall is younger than Durant.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1387 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon May 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:While I have enjoyed Beal's performance in the playoffs, I do think we've gotten to the point of hyperbole. His offensive efficiency for the postseason is below average because his 2pt shooting is bad and his turnovers are up about as much as his assists. He's a bit better overall in the playoffs than he was in the regular season (PPA 109 to a regular season 99), but we haven't seen a big leap yet -- certainly not the big leap I'm hoping to see from him.

Quote the posts that indicate this 'hyperbole' you're talking about? Sounds like you came in already biased with a negative attitude against the player you're discussing. I'm starting to notice a pattern re: Beal, it's like some people are secretly dying to trade him or something.. no he's not Harden, let's all collectively get over it okay?

No one has said he's taken a leap, people are mostly impressed with his defense and overall poise given the circumstances.

Just went back and re-read, and you're right. :oops:

Maybe I was listening to too much sports radio. ???

The last few pages has been balanced and fair. My bad.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,003

Post#1388 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I guess what I was hoping for was that "break out" - kind of like Porter. Maybe next year...
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#1389 » by dandridge 10 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I guess what I was hoping for was that "break out" - kind of like Porter. Maybe next year...

Its going to be hard for Beal to have a "break out" without Wall. Let's face it, Beal just doesn't have the handles yet to take over a game on his own. For the most part, he needs to have someone "set him" up to be as effective as he can be on the offensive end. Add that to the fact that defenses are able to double team him more with Wall out and that will limit his opportunities.

With that said, I have been pretty happy with Beal's play so far, especially last game. His defense on Korver has been excellent, and he is not trying to do too much and has been moving the ball when he has been doubled. That will be the key for him going forward. If he can continue to play excellent D, become more of a facilitator, and take his opportunities as he goes, I think that is the best we can hope for.

I would not compare him to Otto. Teams are not focusing their D on Otto and that is one of the reasons why he has broken out. With Wall out, I think the Hawk's game plan starts with stopping Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1390 » by tontoz » Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 pm

fishercob wrote:

He is only an elite shooter from 3 when he can catch and shoot. Inside the 3 point line his shooting is pretty weak. He struggles to make wide open jumpers off the dribble.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1391 » by fishercob » Mon May 11, 2015 8:45 pm

tontoz wrote:
fishercob wrote:

He is only an elite shooter from 3 when he can catch and shoot. Inside the 3 point line his shooting is pretty weak. He struggles to make wide open jumpers off the dribble.

I don't disagree, but he's still a baby and he's a 40% shooter from 3 over his first 3 seasons -- same as Korver, and better than Ray Allen.

Beal's got to get better -- no doubt. I am optimistic.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1392 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:58 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

Just went back and re-read, and you're right. :oops:

Maybe I was listening to too much sports radio. ???

The last few pages has been balanced and fair. My bad.

:lol: Sports radio? Don't listen to that nonsense. Though in fairness, Beal DOES get overhyped a lot in the media especially with guys like Charles Barkley talking about him all the time.

But I think us on the Wiz board generally are more realistic about the player he is right now. Is he a great player? No. Is he one of the better young guards in the league with room to grow? Does he have the skills and smarts to eventually be a really good piece on this team? 100% yes to both imo
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,003

Post#1393 » by dckingsfan » Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm

fishercob wrote:
tontoz wrote:
fishercob wrote:

I don't disagree, but he's still a baby and he's a 40% shooter from 3 over his first 3 seasons -- same as Korver, and better than Ray Allen.

Beal's got to get better -- no doubt. I am optimistic.

Optimism is good - I was probably overly optimistic on where he would be this season. With Porter, didn't expect him to be where he is... so it balances out.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1394 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
20MexicanosIn1Van wrote:

I don't know. KD is one story, but Cousins hasn't accomplished anything in the NBA. If he were here, it would absolutely still be Wall's team.

I'm genuinely curious about the locker room dynamics if Durant did end up coming here. I have a suspicion that it would still be Wall's team. That's his personality and the level of control he exerts over the team is huge. I think you would see some confusion about the leadership and identity of the team much like you saw in Miami after LeBron showed up. And in that instance, the only reason Wade stepped aside and allowed LeBron to seize control of the team was because he got old and started to decline. Wall is younger than Durant.

Cousins would be the #1 scorer is what I meant. He'd get the majority of touches and would be the go-to guy. A 6'11 beast with that kind of talent, you have to get him the ball.

Wall would certainly be the floor general and emotional leader though, just like he was on their Kentucky teams (despite the size difference Wall is more like the 'big' brother to Boogie)

I agree, I think if Durant came here it would still be Wall's team. Not because John is selfish, but because he is such a strong leader and would take it upon himself to make KD an even better player. In the 2008 Olympics, Jason Kidd was far from the most talented player on Team USA but he was the smartest one on the team, he was the one telling Lebron, Melo etc where to move on the floor and being the vocal leader, orchestrating the defense etc. Wall is that type of leader, you look at him during timeouts and he's barking out directions or drawing up plays, telling guys what he wants them to do. When you watch OKC games during timeouts, you see an aloof Westbrook off by himself not interacting with teammates/coaches, or he's over arguing with the refs. Durant doesn't know what he's missing, Wall's leadership and bball IQ will make KD a better player on and off the court, and would increase his legacy/greatness much more than playing with Westbrook would.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1395 » by nate33 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 am

Beal with the monster Game 4!

34 points on a .587 TS%.
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
1 block
3 turnovers

All while being the primary focus of Atlanta's defense, since Wall was out. Bravo, Brad!
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1396 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 12, 2015 2:18 am

nate33 wrote:Beal with the monster Game 4!

34 points on a .587 TS%.
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
1 block
3 turnovers

All while being the primary focus of Atlanta's defense, since Wall was out. Bravo, Brad!

And the best thing about it was the way he took the ball to the hole.

That might have been the "best ball handling game" I've ever seen from Beal.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1397 » by LyricalRico » Tue May 12, 2015 2:21 am

Wizardspride wrote:

34 points on a .587 TS%.
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
1 block
3 turnovers

Yep, if this guy shows up every night, he's on his way to being a real star.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#1398 » by Illmatic12 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:31 am

Wizardspride wrote:

34 points on a .587 TS%.
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
1 block
3 turnovers

You all forget to mention, Brad absolutely shut down Korver defensively. Didn't even give him but 4 looks at the basket the entire game.

And it is NOT easy chasing Kyle Korver around while putting in that kind of work on the offensive end. Beal played elite on both ends tonight.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/597949849582116865[/tweet]
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1399 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:46 am

Brad played the best game on both ends I've seen him play
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1400 » by hands11 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:03 am

34 points on a .587 TS%.
7 assists
6 rebounds
3 steals
1 block
3 turnovers

That was sick. Now that the Wade part people said he could have to go along with that Ray Allen 3 ball.

You get that from Beal and what Paul did while getting gravy from Will I AM, and you should find a way to win that game. Problem was squarely their inability to get Gortat, Gooden or Otto going. Just can't win that way.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400793784

Return to Washington Wizards