Bradley Beal - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Bradley Beal - Part II 

Post#861 » by hands11 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Agreed - but with the assists closer to 5.

It's real hard to average 5+ assists a game unless you are the primary ball handler. He's going to have his share of 7 and 8 assist games to be sure, but he's also going to have a bunch of games when the offense runs mostly through Wall and Beal ends up with just 2 assists.

Look around the league. The only "shooting guards" who post 5 assists per 36 minutes are teams whose shooting guards are essentially the point guard when they are on the floor. Wade, Harden and Ginobili. That's about it. Wade and Harden don't even play with conventional PG's. Their PG teammates are really just 3&D shooters.

Yeah. 3.5 assists is fine for a SG. Specially on a team with Wall.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#862 » by jivelikenice » Fri May 23, 2014 5:10 am

^Haha...We didn't see each other's argument until it was posted. I noticed the volume disparity right away!
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#863 » by fishercob » Fri May 23, 2014 1:11 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I think he reads posts here but I don't think he posts himself....

Get him on here! We need more smart guys in the discussion.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#864 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 30, 2014 3:11 am

nate33 wrote:

It's real hard to average 5+ assists a game unless you are the primary ball handler. He's going to have his share of 7 and 8 assist games to be sure, but he's also going to have a bunch of games when the offense runs mostly through Wall and Beal ends up with just 2 assists.

Look around the league. The only "shooting guards" who post 5 assists per 36 minutes are teams whose shooting guards are essentially the point guard when they are on the floor. Wade, Harden and Ginobili. That's about it. Wade and Harden don't even play with conventional PG's. Their PG teammates are really just 3&D shooters.

Exactly, but that is often what Beal is - running the PR at the top of the key, the ISOs etc. There were rarely games with Wittman's rotations where Beal wasn't the primary ball handler for large chunks of the game. He can't continue to have an assist percentage in the mid-teens. I needs to be in the mid-20s.

Edit - he is already at 3.5 per 36 min... moving from 16 to 24 percent assist percentage would do it.
Youheardme90
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#865 » by Youheardme90 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 am

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Exactly, but that is often what Beal is - running the PR at the top of the key, the ISOs etc. There were rarely games with Wittman's rotations where Beal wasn't the primary ball handler for large chunks of the game. He can't continue to have an assist percentage in the mid-teens. I needs to be in the mid-20s.

Edit - he is already at 3.5 per 36 min... moving from 16 to 24 percent assist percentage would do it.

Is that going to effect our increase wins and losses, that 8 percentage increase ?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#866 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Youheardme90 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's real hard to average 5+ assists a game unless you are the primary ball handler. He's going to have his share of 7 and 8 assist games to be sure, but he's also going to have a bunch of games when the offense runs mostly through Wall and Beal ends up with just 2 assists.

Is that going to effect our increase wins and losses, that 8 percentage increase ?

I think so... the Wizards play better when the ball is moving. Plus, if he learns to pass the ball better it will be harder for teams to double him with impunity.

Edit: At least if he is going to be a primary ball handler for large chunks of the game. If we are going to relegate him to corner 3s - then fine - no issue. But who else is going to become a facilitator and take this offense to the next level?

It isn't going to be Ariza, Webster or Porter.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#867 » by DCZards » Fri May 30, 2014 3:28 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
I think so... the Wizards play better when the ball is moving. Plus, if he learns to pass the ball better it will be harder for teams to double him with impunity.

Edit: At least if he is going to be a primary ball handler for large chunks of the game. If we are going to relegate him to corner 3s - then fine - no issue. But who else is going to become a facilitator and take this offense to the next level?

Actually, facilitating the offense is one of Porter's strengths...at least it was at G'Town. It will be interesting to see if the Zards find a way of taking advantage of Porter's skills in that area.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#868 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 30, 2014 3:30 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Actually, faciliting the offense is one of Porter's strengths...at least it was at G'Town. It will be interesting to see if the Zards find a way of taking advantage of Porter's skills in that area.

Really good point - I just don't think it happens next year. But that could well be one of his strengths.
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#869 » by Darko Miliminutes » Mon Jun 2, 2014 8:58 pm

More props for Beal. All NBA defensive team just coming out. P. George on the 1st team. And then J. Butler on the 2nd team.

Makes Beal's playoff performance all the more impressive. And should make us a bit more optimistic of his future growth.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#870 » by jivelikenice » Mon Jun 2, 2014 9:13 pm

^Most overlooked part about his postseason.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#871 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:13 pm

Darko Miliminutes wrote:More props for Beal. All NBA defensive team just coming out. P. George on the 1st team. And then J. Butler on the 2nd team.

Makes Beal's playoff performance all the more impressive. And should make us a bit more optimistic of his future growth.

Gotta work on the handles so his shot easier to shoot and Defense we saw what Stephenson roast was like.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#872 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 4, 2014 12:25 am

I think Beal will be a to 5 shot guard next year. I know this is blasphemy at this point but he is already better for a team than Wade(because wade can't stay healthy), is already a big game player and less expensive -currently.

I love beal and wouldn't trade him- period-
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#873 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:04 am

The Miami Heat met with Washington Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday. The goal was to pry Bradley Beal from the Wizards for Lebron James, sources told ESPN.com.

The Heat offered Lebron James in a sign and trade for Nene and Bradley Beal. Ernie Grunfeld confirmed that he turned down the deal. "I love Brad and wouldn't trade him - period."
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#874 » by Hypnotizer » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:45 am

dckingsfan wrote:The Miami Heat met with Washington Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday. The goal was to pry Bradley Beal from the Wizards for Lebron James, sources told ESPN.com.

The Heat offered Lebron James in a sign and trade for Nene and Bradley Beal. Ernie Grunfeld confirmed that he turned down the deal. "I love Brad and wouldn't trade him - period."

Is this a joke?
JWallConnect
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#875 » by JWallConnect » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:41 am

CobraCommander wrote:I think Beal will be a to 5 shot guard next year. I know this is blasphemy at this point but he is already better for a team than Wade(because wade can't stay healthy), is already a big game player and less expensive -currently.

I love beal and wouldn't trade him- period-

Top 3 I think
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#876 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:11 am

dckingsfan wrote:The Miami Heat met with Washington Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday. The goal was to pry Bradley Beal from the Wizards for Lebron James, sources told ESPN.com.

Point taken, lol that was well done sir :nod:
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#877 » by jmrosenth » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm

http://www.usab.com/mens/national/14_mn ... _camp.html

Beal made the roster for the US basketball team training camp to compete for a spot in this year's basketball World Cup.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#878 » by CobraCommander » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Congrats beal! Now turn it down and get some rest- we got big plans for you next year. We want 24-5-4-2&1.5
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#879 » by fishercob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:56 pm

Bradley did an appearance/signing at the new Walmart at Georgia and Missouri Aves last week. The timing worked such that I was able to pick up my kids (6 and 3) and bring them to meet Big Panda.

I wasn't surprised, per se, but just so impressed with Bradley . I introduced myself and my kids by name. He looked me in the eye and shook my hand. As I started to snap a couple pics of him and my kids, Bradley noticed that the kids were sort of far from him, as they were excited but shy. He invited them closer, put his arm around them and smiled for a couple more pictures. He initiated the whole process of making them feel more comfortable -- not me, not a PR person or handler.

He came off as kind, self-possessed, emotionally intelligent, and very comfortable in his own skin. That's impressive for any 21-year old, regardless of vocation. It was a cool experience to share with my kids; I'm really happy and excited that Bradley is a Wizard and hope he stays here a long time.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#880 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:35 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Congrats beal! Now turn it down and get some rest- we got big plans for you next year. We want 24-5-4-2&1.5

Why the heck would he turn it down!?! He's our best chance to start recruiting KD since Wall won't be there.

Also I doubt Beal will be on the final roster that goes to Spain. They're too loaded already. It's more about him getting the mini-camp practice experience and learning from the coaches.

Return to Washington Wizards