ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Re: Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread. 

Post#621 » by Furinkazan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 pm

He sucked so bad whole championship...but today he had a chance to redeem himslef and stop Gasol a player he actually should know everything about...and guess what
Poland reserve center from Gonzaga was 10 times better than Gortat.I dont know it is because of a long season or what but he sucked very slow coudnt defend sht coudnt score sht...barely blocked or altered any shots ///he was always too late on D
looked like a big lost child out there
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#622 » by Kanyewest » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:40 pm

9 points and 2 rebounds by Gortat. And Pau Gasol dropped 30 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#623 » by Furinkazan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:35 am

not only that Gasol had 100% FG in the 1st half
tabloids and journals rated Gortats performance 1
in a 1-6 scale where 1 is worst possible
:/
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread. 

Post#624 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Kanyewest wrote:9 points and 2 rebounds by Gortat. And Pau Gasol dropped 30 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists.

I remember posting many Pau trade ideas that were universally rejected...

:(

( Dejuan Blair hate by Wizards fans is totally wrong IMHO. He can play very well and will IMO eventually return to form--just as Pau did since Laker fans hated him).

"Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin,"
"Be the change you want to be."
Bye bye Beal.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#625 » by J-Ves » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 am

This guy is due for a big season. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the all star game. Scoring has come super easy with the good spacing and Wall/Beal/Porter seem to be making a big effort to get him the ball when ever he rolls to the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#626 » by nuposse04 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:39 am

I think he averaged 17-12 per 36 in his best season with PHX, with spacing he gets here I could see him getting like 15.5-10 with good D. He could end up being the best 2 way center if everything, and I mean everything manifests correctly. I am excited for him though, it looks like to me the offense has been so easy for him this preseason.
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#627 » by krii » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:16 pm

http://eurosport.onet.pl/koszykowka/nba/marcin-gortat-nie-rozmawia-z-trenerem/3s22yd
In Polish media Gortat admits that he isn't even talking to Wittman (and vice versa). Let me translate the most interesting parts (you could try to translate it through google translate if you want to read entire article):
"I admit that we are not talking to each other. We are passing each other without a single word. I don't know how long this situation may last but it is very hard for me and I don't know how to solve it".

"Unfortunately there was no chance to talk about that with coach. I was shocked that he criticized me in public. My teammates were shocked as well. It never happened before. We had this rule that if something happens we need to solve it in inside. We have some problems (inside the team - krii) but I can only talk about myself".

"Even if we are raising the shout before the game '1! 2! 3! Family!' I feel odd. Really odd, because in family everyone should understand each other and not avoid conversations"

I can understand that Gortat was struggling on the start. It was talked through on this forum and I generally agree with most of what you said. Gortat was not fighting enough, he was too soft on some plays, he looked a bit lost with the new system but in general he wasn't as bad as many thought. It was the system and the lack of real threaten from our stretch 4s (KH&JD) that made him look even worse. First games made him look like a very average/poor center and he had to figure out how to fight back to his old performance. Last few games he is playing like old Gortat and I assume with time he will be much better than we expect. Well at least he will not be as bad.
As many mentioned the problem is that Gortat was not playing up to his standard. But in my personal opinion Randy's behaviour is just unfair. It is not the very first time when he is saying some bad things about Gortat and it is affecting not only him but team in general. I understand that he might be upset with his performance but he should at least try to coach him rather than blame him without explanations. I blame Gortat for such a bad start to the season and I think it is mostly him trying to overdo what should be simple but he is finding his rhythm and the coach should help him.

Try to read this article: http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2011/01/do-players-steal-rebounding.html, in my opinion it provides some interesting insights to rebounding problem. I found it quite annoying - I know that Marcin should have worked harder on both sides but the problem isn't solely himself. Last season was quite similar - he couldn't rebound whilst he was with KH on the court. It's because they are operating under the basket and both have to fight for the same rebounds. If he is boxing out or doing any sort of rebounding help it is not appearing in the stat line (and it was the case multiple times).

For me (and it is just very subjective opinion) this new system of pace and space should help Gortat play much better than last season. The thing with this system is that there is a need for very good PF who can shoot from outside and not clog the paint too much. It supposed to be either Gortat or PF who rebound on both sides but also guards on defensive end (Gortat/other C + PF should first box out the opposite frontcourt and make sure that ball is rebounded by Wizards [no matter whom is rebounding - either Otto, Wall, Beal or C/PF). If one is not doing his work correctly the entire scheme is affected and there is usually someone to blame. It is the easiest way to blame center as by context he is responsible for rebounds. But in reality sometimes it's better to do a lot of work around the basket to grab the ball rather than focus one player to do all the job. Look - Drummond is great player and he is even better rebounder but in a system like GSW everyone have opportunity to rebound since the entire system works to box out/allow rebound for either of GSW player. Of course frontcourt would usually grab the most rebounds (well, they're the biggest guys in there;-) ) but IMO it's not only a rebounding man but the entire team rebounding that we should focus on.

I just hope that this entire situation will be solved. The thing is that the success of Gortat is the success of Wizards. The better Marcin is, the better Wizards will be.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#628 » by dckingsfan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:34 pm

That is a interesting coaching philosophy that Wittman has take on with Gortat - sometimes those strategies work and sometimes they ricochet. In this case you have Gortat now throwing Wittman under the bus.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#629 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm

krii wrote:http://eurosport.onet.pl/koszykowka/nba/marcin-gortat-nie-rozmawia-z-trenerem/3s22yd
In Polish media Gortat admits that he isn't even talking to Wittman (and vice versa). Let me translate the most interesting parts (you could try to translate it through google translate if you want to read entire article):
"I admit that we are not talking to each other. We are passing each other without a single word. I don't know how long this situation may last but it is very hard for me and I don't know how to solve it".

"Unfortunately there was no chance to talk about that with coach. I was shocked that he criticized me in public. My teammates were shocked as well. It never happened before. We had this rule that if something happens we need to solve it in inside. We have some problems (inside the team - krii) but I can only talk about myself".

"Even if we are raising the shout before the game '1! 2! 3! Family!' I feel odd. Really odd, because in family everyone should understand each other and not avoid conversations"

I can understand that Gortat was struggling on the start. It was talked through on this forum and I generally agree with most of what you said. Gortat was not fighting enough, he was too soft on some plays, he looked a bit lost with the new system but in general he wasn't as bad as many thought. It was the system and the lack of real threaten from our stretch 4s (KH&JD) that made him look even worse. First games made him look like a very average/poor center and he had to figure out how to fight back to his old performance. Last few games he is playing like old Gortat and I assume with time he will be much better than we expect. Well at least he will not be as bad.
As many mentioned the problem is that Gortat was not playing up to his standard. But in my personal opinion Randy's behaviour is just unfair. It is not the very first time when he is saying some bad things about Gortat and it is affecting not only him but team in general. I understand that he might be upset with his performance but he should at least try to coach him rather than blame him without explanations. I blame Gortat for such a bad start to the season and I think it is mostly him trying to overdo what should be simple but he is finding his rhythm and the coach should help him.

Try to read this article: http://blog.philbirnbaum.com/2011/01/do-players-steal-rebounding.html, in my opinion it provides some interesting insights to rebounding problem. I found it quite annoying - I know that Marcin should have worked harder on both sides but the problem isn't solely himself. Last season was quite similar - he couldn't rebound whilst he was with KH on the court. It's because they are operating under the basket and both have to fight for the same rebounds. If he is boxing out or doing any sort of rebounding help it is not appearing in the stat line (and it was the case multiple times).

For me (and it is just very subjective opinion) this new system of pace and space should help Gortat play much better than last season. The thing with this system is that there is a need for very good PF who can shoot from outside and not clog the paint too much. It supposed to be either Gortat or PF who rebound on both sides but also guards on defensive end (Gortat/other C + PF should first box out the opposite frontcourt and make sure that ball is rebounded by Wizards [no matter whom is rebounding - either Otto, Wall, Beal or C/PF). If one is not doing his work correctly the entire scheme is affected and there is usually someone to blame. It is the easiest way to blame center as by context he is responsible for rebounds. But in reality sometimes it's better to do a lot of work around the basket to grab the ball rather than focus one player to do all the job. Look - Drummond is great player and he is even better rebounder but in a system like GSW everyone have opportunity to rebound since the entire system works to box out/allow rebound for either of GSW player. Of course frontcourt would usually grab the most rebounds (well, they're the biggest guys in there;-) ) but IMO it's not only a rebounding man but the entire team rebounding that we should focus on.

I just hope that this entire situation will be solved. The thing is that the success of Gortat is the success of Wizards. The better Marcin is, the better Wizards will be.

To be fair, the team went on a 3-game win streak after Wittman's comments. And Gortat averaged 13 points and 9 boards in just 27 minutes a game during that stretch (that's 17 and 12 per 36). Wittman doesn't have to make Gortat like him. He just needs to get Gortat to produce.

That said, it's not good to hear that their relationship is so bad right now. You can't have your starting center and coach not talking to each other.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#630 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 pm

Coach puts bigs on an island, you blame Gortat. Okay.

I blame Wittman for being not averse to ruining Dejaun Blair's career. I showed you how little opportunity to play in a role that suits him Blair has been given. Last season folks blamed Blair for being fat. Now some blame him like you're blaming Gortat for "not playing up to his standards".

Over the summer I listened to a video of Gortat where among many topics player who had argued with Wittman last season. He didn't name the player but I think it was Blair. What Gortat stressed was not arguing with coach and with working very hard on conditioning. Blair had done that and still isn't playing.

Randy threw Marcin under the bus and it worked in the short run. However, it's never going to be a trust and respect after that. Wittman is snarky IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#631 » by Tricky_Kid » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I watch today interview with Gortat for Polish media and I knew it something is wrong about Witttman. Reported ask him about RW calling him out after a poor game and if this kind of thing motivate him or not. Marcin responded that He was surprised and that kind of thing more isolated him from coach. He said He knew He had bad game but the real issue was promise from Randy who told he won`t ctiticize any player in media. Gortat said before starting the season in front of all wizards players and coaching staff Randy made that promise and guess what? After several game he did it to Gortat.
Marcin told that teammates told him about it and was also shocked.

How to build a chemistry and trust?
raczej1980
Junior
And1: 33

Post#632 » by raczej1980 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 8:41 am

just released news in polish press - Marcin will not play in next couple games .He's coming back to Poland due to his mother health condition
http://www.sport.pl/koszykowka/1,116399,19284658,nba-dziennikarz-rmf-gortat-opusci-kilka-najblizszych-spotkan.html#BoxSportLink
bring back hand checking!!!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#633 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 9:03 am

raczej1980 wrote:just released news in polish press - Marcin will not play in next couple games .He's coming back to Poland due to his mother health condition
http://www.sport.pl/koszykowka/1,116399,19284658,nba-dziennikarz-rmf-gortat-opusci-kilka-najblizszych-spotkan.html#BoxSportLink

WOW, that's out of nowhere. Hope she is okay, that's tough for Marcin to deal with off the court.

Nene still not back, the Wizards are gonna have an uphill climb coming up
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#634 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Dec 3, 2015 1:23 pm

Is there a timetable for Gooden's return?

Not that he's a savior by any stretch, but he can chew up minutes at the 5 and is probably still about our best stretch 4 option.
In Rizzo we trust
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#635 » by Dark Faze » Thu Dec 3, 2015 9:26 pm

raczej1980 wrote:just released news in polish press - Marcin will not play in next couple games .He's coming back to Poland due to his mother health condition

i really hope she's okay

but yea--this really puts a big crosshair on ernie--everyone but him seemed to realize we needed a good backup c--we're going to lose every game without marc this year
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#637 » by krii » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Well, I said it earlier and it seems like I was quite right.

Gortat is a huge part of this team and lately he is proving that he is not declining because of his age, as some implied. His numbers up-to-date are very encouraging:

2015/16: Min/Pts/Reb/As/St/Bl/To/FG%/FT%/
30,5 / 13,4 / 9.3 / 1,6 / 0,7 / 1,3 / 2.3 / .527 / .743

His points are the highest since Steve Nash-Phoenix times (11/12 with 15.4), rebounds almost same as in his first season in Wizards (9.3 vs. 9.5) same as assists (1.6 vs. 1.7). Steals and blocks are almost same as his career averages. His FG% is going up, it's still the lowest in his career but after first month slump where he had like .400% it went up to .527 (IMO it will as high as .540/.550 by the end of the season). His FT% are constantly climbing (from .649 in 11/12 to .743 this season) and he became very reliable on this element of his game. The problem are TO but it's mostly problem of this new offensive scheme, most of our players have problems with turnovers.

His early-season slump was bad. He was playing poorly, this entire system was planned to boost his and JWall numbers but in fact they both had the biggest problems with it (Gortat had very poor start whilst John struggled in November). They've been trying to overcome this bad performance but in fact injuries, lack of flexibility in this new "fantastic" tactics and lack of focus only made them look sillier from game to game. December is different though. Even if they're not winning the team adapted a bit. John started to use space and took game under his own reign whilst Marcin exploited new team approach.

What I want to say is that Wizards should utilize both Wall and Gortat to maximum. Gortat will never be Shaq but he is veeery efficient scorer who can play defense. Wall is quick as hell, he can pass and score this 15-20 points a game with almost everyone. While you have fantastic PG and good C you don't need to bother whether Otto or Kelly should play - just use players that fits most to certain game scheme. Wall can always dominate, Gortat can always be efficient. Sometimes they'll combine for 40 points / 20 assists / 20 rebounds (like yesterday), sometimes for 30/15/15. Than the rest of the team may focus on whomever they are playing against - sometimes it might be Beal going mad for 30/10, sometimes Nene playing Nene-ball, sometimes Otto/Oubre/Dudley for high-efficacy/low-risk 20/5/5.

Of course they're not GSW but they can play much better than late-November/early-December. Just use core players efficiently and adapt to other teams. Let's hope next year it would be other team that adapt to Wizards :-)
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#638 » by Hypnotizer » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:36 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#639 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 am

Timely bump, krii. Gortat deserves some love.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#640 » by Kanyewest » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Return to Washington Wizards