ImageImageImageImageImage

Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Whatever the long-term implications, in the short term we'll be happy to have this cat. Highlights and positive anecdotes go here.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: Marcin Gortat Polish Hammer appreciation thread. 

Post#2 » by montestewart » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Wall/Beal/Webster/Nene/Gortat could be a pretty good offense, any one of them able to put up points.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#3 » by nuposse04 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 pm

I know one guy who appreciates him

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/394147907131023360[/tweet]
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:18 pm

A travesty that the Gortart Appreciation thread started before the Oakafor thread. We used him and threw him out when he could no longer put out. Then pick up the next hot thing. I hope you feel dirty doc!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:35 pm

JWizmentality wrote:A travesty that the Gortart Appreciation thread started before the Oakafor thread. We used him and threw him out when he could no longer put out. Then pick up the next hot thing. I hope you feel dirty doc!

He was here for 1 season and got paid more in that time than most of us will earn in 2 lifetimes. He was a good guy - good luck to him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#6 » by Illuminaire » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:47 pm

I appreciate the the Wizards will be a fun team to play with in NBA2k14 now that they have a balanced offensive lineup.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:32 am

The right attitude to fit the squad. I think he'll fit well with Wittman's style:

"It's just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense," Gortat began. "That's not the way you're going to win NBA games. I don't know if it's just me, or maybe I'm just different, but I came from a team where everybody's competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We're just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We're not playing hard enough and I've just got to tell you, there's a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can't be worse."

"I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours," Gortat continued. "Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we're doing bad, I just can't find an explanation. I'm trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there's not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.

"It's just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I'm not going to lie."
Gortat then preached the importance of work ethic as he continued to break down how he's seen his new team approach things during his brief time in Phoenix.

"I think we've just got to be more serious about everything that we do," Gortat said. "We've got a lot of young guys on the team. A lot of potential, but a lot of young guys who don't know how it is to be on top and play at a high level. It's not only focus on the game, it's also focus on the practice. When you come through that door, that's the time to lock in and get ready for the game or practice. It can't happen where you're coming in and doing different things. We've got to read the scouting report, which guy likes to do what, and we've just got to learn it.

Article about his adjustment from the playoffs Magic to the hapless Suns.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by montestewart » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 am

Hey, has this lost steam already?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#9 » by dangermouse » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 am

LOL look at Wall's face.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#10 » by verbal8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:25 pm

doclinkin wrote:Whatever the long-term implications, in the short term we'll be happy to have this cat. Highlights and positive anecdotes go here.

I do think he will be a great addition for this season.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#11 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Here is a quick breakdown of Gortat's scoring skills.

Quick summary: Very nice offensive player, fluid, varied skillset. Could be the best Center we've had in a long time.

Heat maps taken from basketball reference from his two years as a starter in Phoenix:

1 = The baseline jumper he likes to shoot when he faces up. Shoots it well from both sides.

2 = The 15 footers he takes, mostly in a pick and fade situation. Capable from both elbows and the top of the lane. Shot it more from the left elbow because Nash is right handed.

3 = Back to basket shot creation. Likes to post up and drive the basket using his explosive first few steps and fluid movement ability.

4 = A nice little baby hook he likes to use when he gets into the lane.

5 = Explosive finisher at the rim, particularly off of pick and rolls. Goes up strong and is a scary dunker. Actually likes to launch from that middle hash mark on the lane.

A lot of the same here, but much less volume in general. Phoenix was a lousy team and it hurt not having another high quality offensive player to play with after Nash left.

1 - Looks like he may have had to go with the base line jumpers more, didn't get as many good looks close to the basket.

2 - Pick and fades at the elbows almost totally eliminated. Looks like this part of his game was the major casualty of losing Nash. Hard to run pick and fades without a good PG that can draw the help.

3 - Still went to the back to basket game, but it wasn't as effective.

4 - Still scored with that hook shot, but not nearly as much.

5 - Still did most of his scoring at the rim, but if you notice, there is just a lot less scoring in the lane this season. Look how much more green and yellow there is covering the lane the year before. Symptom of having to create for himself from his scoring spots way more. Symptom of not being able to feast off the PnR game like he did the year before with Nash.

I counted five main types of scoring for Gortat. He really does have a lot of skill and should be a really nice offensive option for us. Looks like he's really fluid and ambidextrous because his scoring is very symmetrical.

Also looks like he's got the ability to play PF too, so with Nene, we've got two interchangeable PF/C types. That leaves us open to add either a pure C like Asik down the road, or a pure PF like Paul Millsap.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#12 » by Hypnotizer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Some info on Gortat:
"One of only three NBA players in 2011-12 to average 15-10-1.50, and the other two were All- Star starters (Howard, Bynum)…
One of only seven NBA players in 2011-12 to average 15 and 10 (Love, Howard, Griffin, Bynum, P. Gasol, Cousins)…
Shot a teambest 55.5 percent from the field, the fifth-best mark in the NBA overall…
Recorded a career-best and NBA season-high tying 15 consecutive double-digit rebound games from Jan. 10-Feb. 4, 2012 (Love), the longest streak by a Sun since Charles Barkley (19, Jan. 5-Feb. 25, 1996)…"

For more click here:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcin_gortat/bio/
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#13 » by dorkestra » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Gortat is great. I hope he fits in well with you guys. I've always rooted for him for no particular reason. Really rounds out the starting lineup and vaults them ahead of the Hawks, Knicks tier in the East, IMO.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 am

More on Gortat: both his father and his brother are boxers, his father winning bronze medals in two Olympics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Gortat

Some people have called him soft, but in my limited exposure to him, I haven't really seen that.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 am

If I coached the Wizards, Gortat and Vesely would start. Nene and Seraphin would come off the bench.

Monte, I would tell them to have each other's backs. I would pay the first flagrant one for both guys. :grin:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#16 » by Hypnotizer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:57 am

montestewart wrote:More on Gortat: both his father and his brother are boxers, his father winning bronze medals in two Olympics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Gortat

Some people have called him soft, but in my limited exposure to him, I haven't really seen that.

And Marcin has his father just at the heart:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P1GLLFpfuDs/T ... rtat45.jpg
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#17 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:10 am

CCJ, starting Ves last night wouldn't have been worse than starting Booker. Booker on Greg Monroe was an utter mismatch. Didn't have anywhere near the length to match up.

Gortat is going to start sooner rather than later, that much is clear. He's good, had something like 9 and 9 in 17 minutes last night. He's better than Booker in every way and is the most aggressive and physical rebounder on the team by far.

I like Nene as the starter at PF because of the offense. But I wouldn't mind experimenting with a Ves/Gortat front court. After last night's first half debacle, we should experiment.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 7, 2013 2:40 am

Gortat supports the troops
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 7, 2013 2:46 am

Win lunch with Gortat and his basketball
MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Post#20 » by MarcoPolo » Thu Nov 7, 2013 2:47 am

I really liked how he fit in the game with Philly. I would still prefer him to make more shots closer to the basket. Great game from him hope that will become his normal level of play.

19/12/2 1bl

Return to Washington Wizards