ImageImageImageImageImage

Verizon Center Crowd...NBA's Worst Sixth Man???

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: Verizon Center Crowd...NBA's Worst Sixth Man??? 

Post#101 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 9, 2014 7:16 pm

Munson79rip wrote:Ted and the rest of his crew at Monumental Sports with their dynamic pricing screwed up the opportunity for most fans to attend these post-season games. Case in point, my lower end season tickets cost $63 in R1 against the Bulls but were priced at $180 if I wanted to pay additional for family and friends.

Anyway fast forward to the now, you can grab tickets to tonight's game for under $55 bucks to get in and under $135 to sit in the lower-end. This prices have dropped over 200% as brokers and other were either speculating or the Wizards haven't be able to sell the tickets for the dynamic price they set. With over 2,000 seats remaining I expect the prices to continue to drop up until game time.

http://www.stubhub.com/washington-wizar ... 4-8989712/

These prices on StubHub are 1/2 to 2/3 less than the tickets the Wizards are still trying to sell on Ticketmaster. Don't be the guy who bitches about the crowd tonight, if you won't pony up a few clams and make a difference in helping bring home a W

Wow... I'd go if I was staying in the city this evening
Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#102 » by Nigel Tufnel » Fri May 9, 2014 8:05 pm

Our tickets which cost $225 in Section 121 from the Wizards/Ticketmaster are still going for more than $260 on Stubhub, so it seems like Ted did a decent job capturing the scalper gains. The shocker is for Game 6. Ted is charging $315 for the same seats. He might've overstepped for that game.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#103 » by Hypnotizer » Fri May 9, 2014 9:01 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/464788039366348800[/tweet]
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#104 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat May 10, 2014 1:25 am

"That crowd is pedestrian...must get louder" ---Jalen Rose

But then again, the Wizards haven't given them anything to get loud about right?
Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Post#105 » by Deivy202 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:42 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:"That crowd is pedestrian...must get louder" ---Jalen Rose

But then again, the Wizards haven't given them anything to get loud about right?

How dude the wizards turnovers are the worst I ever seen. .

No offense. We where scoring more from our BENCH
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#106 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Sat May 10, 2014 2:42 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:"That crowd is pedestrian...must get louder" ---Jalen Rose

That crowd got robbed out of hundreds of dollars per person, can you blame them? I very nearly shelled out a couple hundred and a few hours of driving to get there. The only bright side of tonight was I saved my money. The only "loud" noise they would have heard from me after the first quarter would have been boos.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#107 » by queridiculo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 am

Leonsis ripping off the fans after **** on them for the past four years with his rebuild, classy.
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#108 » by omegatronic3 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:34 am

I'm f'in embarassed to be from DC with thie pathetic piss poor crowd...don't give me this crap about being robbed . Yea we sucked tonight but a true fan cheers louder when their team needs it. That the f'in point....give them some energy. I dont live in DC anymore but Ive been to games when I could hear a pin drop.

I've been to Warriors games when theyre terrible and the fans still bring it strong. DC fans SUCK!!! Show some F'in pride and make some god damn noise for your team. Theyre in the 2nd round of the playoffs fools! No wonder we play better away from home our fans suck ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#109 » by Induveca » Sat May 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Extremely happy I didn't pay for airfare/hotel etc. Ugh.

It would be hard enough explaining to my companion why there is are Fuddruckers and Ruby Tuesday's signs with Chinese kanji in "Chinatown".

Awful showing from the team last night.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#110 » by penbeast0 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Actually heard a lot more comments about the poor Pacers crowds than the poor Wizards one so far this series. I always thought Indiana was like Portland, a mad basketball hotbed, but the crowd wasn't impressive on TV in the first 2 games so far.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#111 » by montestewart » Sat May 10, 2014 5:38 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Actually heard a lot more comments about the poor Pacers crowds than the poor Wizards one so far this series. I always thought Indiana was like Portland, a mad basketball hotbed, but the crowd wasn't impressive on TV in the first 2 games so far.

They just can't get behind a sport that can't be viewed from the infield.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#112 » by CobraCommander » Mon May 12, 2014 1:44 am

We rocking the phone booth right now! Go wiz
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#113 » by fishercob » Mon May 12, 2014 4:14 pm

I was looking for the "Amazingly Sucky Washington Wizards" Thread, but I couldn't find it, so I'll leave this here.

I don't know what was reported, but last night's game was not sold out. There were several rows of unfilled (and clearly unsold) seats at the top of the arena behind the baskets. While I am sure that is in so small part to the team's "dynamic pricing" (i.e. gouging) during the playoffs, the fact that the building wasn't full is beyond pathetic.

More hideousness:

--Repeatedly playing the stupid Chick-fil-a promotion in the 4Q as a means to get the crowd to make noise. For once, there were actual stakes during the opposing free throws. Trying to get people to be noisy with fast food coupons is insulting.

-- Speaking on insulting, not only do show football players on the video board (RG3 and Paul George fan Desean Jackson) in an effort to rile the crowd, they actually played Hail to the R------ns in it's entirety! It's one thing to understand the reality that football is still top dog in thsi town, but it's something else to revel in it and wear it like a badge of honor. Would the Skins ever do anything Wiz-related during one of their games in a million years?? Of course not. The whole thing was pathetic and reeked of inferiority.

--No halftime show, with the amount of money they had coming in the door for tickets, concessions, etc. Just abominable. Then, they run some contest where a dude has to make a few shots for a chance at a half court shot to win..... one thousand dollars. The Heat gave away $75K (!) for a half court shot. OKC gave away 20K. I ran a midnight madness at my school when I was college; getting insurance policies to offset these payouts just isnt that expensive. $1000 for a halfcourt shot comes off as cheap, amateurish and minor league.

That said, the crowd itself was strong. Good jersey representation. People got loud. It got quiet and angsty toward the end, but there's no avoiding that in this town.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#114 » by dandridge 10 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm

fishercob wrote:I was looking for the "Amazingly Sucky Washington Wizards" Thread, but I couldn't find it, so I'll leave this here.

I don't know what was reported, but last night's game was not sold out. There were several rows of unfilled (and clearly unsold) seats at the top of the arena behind the baskets. While I am sure that is in so small part to the team's "dynamic pricing" (i.e. gouging) during the playoffs, the fact that the building wasn't full is beyond pathetic.

More hideousness:

--Repeatedly playing the stupid Chick-fil-a promotion in the 4Q as a means to get the crowd to make noise. For once, there were actual stakes during the opposing free throws. Trying to get people to be noisy with fast food coupons is insulting.

-- Speaking on insulting, not only do show football players on the video board (RG3 and Paul George fan Desean Jackson) in an effort to rile the crowd, they actually played Hail to the R------ns in it's entirety! It's one thing to understand the reality that football is still top dog in thsi town, but it's something else to revel in it and wear it like a badge of honor. Would the Skins ever do anything Wiz-related during one of their games in a million years?? Of course not. The whole thing was pathetic and reeked of inferiority.

--No halftime show, with the amount of money they had coming in the door for tickets, concessions, etc. Just abominable. Then, they run some contest where a dude has to make a few shots for a chance at a half court shot to win..... one thousand dollars. The Heat gave away $75K (!) for a half court shot. OKC gave away 20K. I ran a midnight madness at my school when I was college; getting insurance policies to offset these payouts just isnt that expensive. $1000 for a halfcourt shot comes off as cheap, amateurish and minor league.

That said, the crowd itself was strong. Good jersey representation. People got loud. It got quiet and angsty toward the end, but there's no avoiding that in this town.

It is clear that Ted decided to scrap any type of half-time shows to save money. All year the halftime shows have consisted of kids playing basketball or local people competing in some sort of "talent" show, which is usually one or 2 horrible singers trying to rap in some type of unintelligible language. Ted is all about the bottom line.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#115 » by jmrosenth » Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm

So for those that went to all the playoff games, did attendance get worse in the second round? That's what appears to have happened. I don't recall hearing about empty "sections" during the Bulls series. Pretty pathetic, but I don't really put it on the fans. The team clearly tried to gouge fans for the second round playoffs and it came back to bite them ( I was offered great LLs for face value from a season ticket holder for $315 a pop, no thanks). That, coupled with the team's miserable play at home in these playoffs, probably had a lot of people staying away.

On the bright side, we'll always have Mystics attendance championships.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#116 » by Hypnotizer » Fri May 16, 2014 2:49 pm

fishercob wrote:

There was $77 777 shot in Phoenix

EDIT: That guy was lucky Joey wasn't on the court :D
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9nI4zlEW2A[/youtube]
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#117 » by Higga » Fri May 16, 2014 2:51 pm

jmrosenth wrote:So for those that went to all the playoff games, did attendance get worse in the second round? That's what appears to have happened. I don't recall hearing about empty "sections" during the Bulls series. Pretty pathetic, but I don't really put it on the fans. The team clearly tried to gouge fans for the second round playoffs and it came back to bite them ( I was offered great LLs for face value from a season ticket holder for $315 a pop, no thanks). That, coupled with the team's miserable play at home in these playoffs, probably had a lot of people staying away.

On the bright side, we'll always have Mystics attendance championships.

I didn't notice very many empty seats in Games 3-4(for either series), since they were weekend games. Last night definitely wasn't a sell out though, but the attendance was still pretty solid.

I agree though it could have been louder last night, but I think that was mainly due to the team's poor play. I don't think any crowd can just cheer when the team executes so poorly and does nothing but miss jump shots and turn the ball over.

I agree that playing Hail to the Redskins was super lame. I mean I love the Skins but this is the Wizards. It reminds me of when we used to show the Dallas Cowboys logo when introducing the opposing team to get us to boo. It's just insulting. I'm fine with showing local celebrities, I'm sure every arena does that.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#118 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Jun 1, 2014 4:56 pm

That OKC crowd is what a good sixth man looks and sounds like.

Down almost ten points in the 4th and providing energy as if to will the Thunder to pull even against arguably the league's best team.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#119 » by montestewart » Sun Jun 1, 2014 8:17 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:That OKC crowd is what a good sixth man looks and sounds like.

Down almost ten points in the 4th and providing energy as if to will the Thunder to pull even against arguably the league's best team.

But that doesn't just come out of nowhere. I've been to OKC several times, and compared to DC, there isn't as great a range of options for entertainment. Even compared to other one-franchise towns like San Antonio and Portland, there doesn't seem to be as much competition for entertainment dollars, and OKC still has that new franchise smell, a run of success as a legitimate contender, and several big stars.

The Wizards, on the other hand, have a long-established reputation for disappointment, and they play in a town with numerous other sports franchises and major college basketball programs, along with many other entertainment options. Sure, they have to market to a large group of transplanted citizens who may have divided loyalties, but so do the Nationals, and that doesn't seem to bother them nearly as much. If the Wizards can successfully shed their loser reputation, they will find many vocal fans willing to commit to the team. It's a lot easier marketing a winner.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#120 » by Hidden Eye » Sun Jun 1, 2014 11:32 pm

Trust and believe the Wizards bop will be in full effect since the drought has ended.

Return to Washington Wizards