ImageImageImageImageImage

Gortat trade salvaged the season

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Gortat trade salvaged the season 

Post#1 » by Brenice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:55 am

The Wizards are playing meaningful games BEFORE the all-star break while playing for playoff seeding. Was the Gortat trade worth it?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Gortat trade salvaged the season 

Post#2 » by fishercob » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Saying the trade salvaged the season is sort of specious reasoning.

Sure, it provided infinite short term benefit. We traded a player out for the year, and a player ineligible for NBA competition yet (our pick) for a good player. It obviously helped us.

But that we had to make the trade was a reflection of failure after failure on EG's part -- Seraphin, Vesely, SIngleton all suck. Al Harrington is done and was a waste. We wasted our BAE on Maynor instead of signing Dajuan Blair.

Blair and Beno Udrih would have been infinitely better than Maynor and Harrington, and even if the net effect had been worse than Gortat (and I'm not convinced on that) we still would have made the playoffs and could have added Gortat this summer and kept our pick.

The Gortat trade also represents another complete failure -- the opportunity to "trade" Singleton or Harrington (by cutting them) for Kendall Marshall. Marshall is lighting it up in LA and would have been an ideal backup PG and would have really helped our team. He was delivered to us on a silver platter and our arrogant and stupid front office rejected him.

I would have fired Ernie years ago, but the Marshall snafu on TOP of the Maynor snafu is the last straw. Fire Ernie, PLEASE.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:56 pm

I think the Gortat trade has done what most expected. Had we been able to keep the other players in the deal instead of signing Maynor and holding onto Singleton, I think folks would feel better about it. Imagine giving Maynor/Temple's minutes to Brown/Marshall, and also having Marshall signed on the cheap for another year or two. That's where Ernie messed up in this instance.

But just looking at Gortat, I think the trade is serving it's intended purpose.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#4 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 pm

We gave up a 1st round pick in a strong and are now a .500 team in one of the worst conferences in history.

:rockon:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Brenice
Banned User

Post#5 » by Brenice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:13 pm

That's all well and good, but I'm seeing Wall and Beal mature into professionals who have figured out how to compete with something to play for. We all know Ernie has made MORE THAN his share of mistakes. But right now, I'm enjoying THIS season and am optimistic for next. Blair is not the answer as you would cause Nene to play center and Blair shouldn't be starting regardless. The bench is not good but Temple is playing decent right now. Booker is a spark.

If Ted doesn't fire Ernie regardless of this season, blame Ted. Otto may well have been a Ted call.
Brenice
Banned User

Post#6 » by Brenice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:17 pm

tontoz wrote:We gave up a 1st round pick in a strong and are now a .500 team in one of the worst conferences in history.

:rockon:

But Wall and Beal are getting valuable experience playing for a playoff goal. That is important.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#7 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Making the playoffs in the LEast is hardly an accomplishment. Beal isn't showing much progress so far this season and WAll is still struggling with scoring efficiency and turnovers.

In the West the Wizards would be in 11 place at best. Most likely they would be well below .500 since they would be playing a much tougher schedule.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#8 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:36 pm

OP makes his point - he says specifies this season and doesn't mention the future.

Title was: Gortat trade salvaged the season

not

Title: Gortat was a good trade going forward
Brenice
Banned User

Post#9 » by Brenice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:39 pm

tontoz wrote:Making the playoffs in the LEast is hardly an accomplishment. Beal isn't showing much progress so far this season and WAll is still struggling with scoring efficiency antakes to plcod turnovers.

In the West the Wizards would be in 11 place at best. Most likely they would be well below .500 since they would be playing a much tougher schedule.

True the East is weak. But year after year they played their best ball after being eliminated from playoff competition. They gave away games this year. Now they are learning what it takes to compete and not give away games and the games are not during the garbage time of the season. They wouldn't be getting that experience in tank mode.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#10 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Was the trade worth it? Depends
EG - Absolutely (dumber and dumber....so your saying I still have a chance)
Ted - Yep (instead of the cookie monster...the money monster....fill more seats!!)
Witt - See EG

The Casual Fan - YES (I like that JW kid, but are the Heat playing?)
The Long Suffering Fan - Yes (make the pain go away...I don't care how)

The Fan who's on this board a lot - Probably not
Why?
1. We gave up a #1 pick in a deep draft, when we clearly have needs.
2. Is Gortat apart of your future plan? if so you destroy your cap space. If not you wasted a #1 for a 1 yr rental. Is he too old, good enough, etc
3. Possibly saves EG. I'm 50/50 with Witt. Up until last week I was on his side...a few days ago I wanted him gone...today I don't know. I think there are better options out there, but you have to respect that he has this team playing.

Will this help the team in the future? Don't know...we will have to see.
Brenice
Banned User

Post#11 » by Brenice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:38 pm

The Wiz are currently a .500 team in the east and comparing them to the west is irrelevant. Until someone dethroned Miami, the west don't matter.

Irregardless, the Wiz should already be above .500 if not for the OKC game they should have won and the first games against Philly and Cleveland where they jumped out to big leads similar to Miami and lost intensity. It appears that theylearned from those losses. #GROWTH
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#12 » by mhd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:50 pm

The deal wasn't worth it b/c of the lost 1st round pick. Right now we would be slotted to have the 17th pick.

We could have potentially taken a Willie-Cauley Stein, McDermott, Jordan Adams, etc. with that pick and have his cheap rookie deal with us for the next 4+ years.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#13 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Brenice wrote:The Wiz are currently a .500 team in the east and comparing them to the west is irrelevant. Until someone dethroned Miami, the west don't matter.

Irregardless, the Wiz should already be above .500 if not for the OKC game they should have won and the first games against Philly and Cleveland where they jumped out to big leads similar to Miami and lost intensity. It appears that theylearned from those losses. #GROWTH

The Wizards aren't going to dethrone miami so using your logic they don't matter either.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#14 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 pm

How is this thread different from the "Grunfeld proving Doubters wrong" thread?
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#15 » by MJG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:53 pm

That's not news, is it? I mean, the entire point of the Gortat trade was to try to salvage this season. We sure as heck didn't make that swap for the future.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:56 pm

mhd wrote:The deal wasn't worth it b/c of the lost 1st round pick. Right now we would be slotted to have the 17th pick.

We could have potentially taken a Willie-Cauley Stein, McDermott, Jordan Adams, etc. with that pick and have his cheap rookie deal with us for the next 4+ years.

Agreed. You can't forsake the future in order to get short term success.

The huge mistake by Ernie was waiving Kendall Marshall. I initially liked the deal because Marshall and Shannon Brown could have been used to make the bench much stronger. Marshall had yet another double double (19 points and 14 assists) and he hit the game winning shot for the Lakers last night. I felt all along he was worth the 1st round pick. He is a talented, young player who is already a solid NBA starting PG.

Because they only got Gortat on an expiring deal and they gave up a pick it was a BAD deal by a GM and a coach only interested in saving their jobs THIS SEASON. Essentially, Okafor got hurt and they reacted by giving up a first and getting a short look at a similarly talented C. I actually like Gortat, but his contract ends. Washington burned a pick because Okafor got hurt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#17 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
mhd wrote:The deal wasn't worth it b/c of the lost 1st round pick. Right now we would be slotted to have the 17th pick.

Agreed. You can't forsake the future in order to get short term success.

The huge mistake by Ernie was waiving Kendall Marshall. I initially liked the deal because Marshall and Shannon Brown could have been used to make the bench much stronger. Marshall had yet another double double (19 points and 14 assists) and he hit the game winning shot for the Lakers last night. I felt all along he was worth the 1st round pick. He is a talented, young player who is already a solid NBA starting PG.

Because they only got Gortat on an expiring deal and they gave up a pick it was a BAD deal by a GM and a coach only interested in saving their jobs THIS SEASON. Essentially, Okafor got hurt and they reacted by giving up a first and getting a short look at a similarly talented C. I actually like Gortat, but his contract ends. Washington burned a pick because Okafor got hurt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Or in this case sacrificing the future for short term mediocrity.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#18 » by barelyawake » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 pm

The trade would be worth it (factoring in the growth of a young team), IF our appearance in the playoffs attracts a star big to sign here or demand a trade here, and IF that star ends up both being better than a player we could have drafted and he ends up being substantially better than Ariza/Gortat. That IF assumes a lot going right that I doubt will happen. But IF it does, then yes.
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#19 » by leswizards » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Had the Wizards not made the trade, there were 2 possibilities.

The first possibility is that the East is so bad this season, the Wizards were going to make the playoffs regardless of whether they made the trade or not. In this scenario, the Wizards have given away a first round pick in the 15 to 18 range for almost no return other than maybe a higher seeding in the playoffs, and a slightly better chance to make the second round, and a slightly better chance to sign Gortat long term. IMO, giving away a first round pick in that range is not worth it based upon the returns.

The second possibility is that the Wizards were so bad that they weren't going to make the playoffs unless they made this trade. In this scenario, the Wizards gave away the possibility of drafting in the top 11 in supposedly a very deep draft for the chance to make the playoffs this season. I like making the playoffs, but I would have rather kept the pick than give it away just for making the playoffs this season. The long term benefit of the draft pick far outweighs the benefit of making the playoffs in one season.

I just don't see how the trade was justifiable.
JWallConnect
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#20 » by JWallConnect » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Would much rather have that 1st round pick. I can't stand Gortat at all honestly.

Return to Washington Wizards