ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
64%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
24%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003 AND WASHINGTON HAS THE THIRD WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE IN THAT SPAN)
12%

Total votes: 89

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2) 

Post#1441 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 9, 2015 4:41 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
hands11 wrote:Is EG on vacation or something ?

To date, since the season started we have made two moves. We cut Glen Rice ( who we should have never drafted to start with) and we traded Miller for Sessions.

I would be curious. Is that the least activity of any team in the league ?

How much does he get paid a year again ?

I cosign this most powerful post!!!!

He didn't make any significant moves because he's got nothing to trade because he's done such a horrible job of accumulating talent - not just through the draft - but acquiring young players through any method. Milwaukee found a Middleton, Miami found a Whiteside, GS drafted Green in the 2nd round and developed him into a valuable asset. Hell, look at Clarkson developing for the Lakers. Every team with a halfway decent GM has players like this that they developed into assets. EG's got zippy. Nothing he's done has shown any work.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1442 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 10:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

To date, since the season started we have made two moves. We cut Glen Rice ( who we should have never drafted to start with) and we traded Miller for Sessions.

He didn't make any significant moves because he's got nothing to trade because he's done such a horrible job of accumulating talent - not just through the draft - but acquiring young players through any method. Milwaukee found a Middleton, Miami found a Whiteside, GS drafted Green in the 2nd round and developed him into a valuable asset. Hell, look at Clarkson developing for the Lakers. Every team with a halfway decent GM has players like this that they developed into assets. EG's got zippy. Nothing he's done has shown any work.

:nod: THIS is the bottom-line.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1443 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:37 pm

closg00 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

:nod: THIS is the bottom-line.

Put me on the petition list too. I'll pour myself a very good Scotch the day that incompetent, time-serving guy is gone!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1444 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Although Hands posted this in a far-away thread about the D League, I thought you all should read this, as he joins the "this mess is busted and Ernie must go" crew:

hands11 wrote:...Looks like most their gambles didn't pay off.

Blair ...Wasted...
Hump hasn't...
Kevin ...just doesn't
Webster never...
Rasual was awesome but now is totally in a funk from 3.
Beal never adapted his game to shooting more catch and shoot 3s.
PP's legs ...too old to contribute regularly....

Short of Wall, Beal, Otto and Gortat.. they could use a roster make over.

Blair, Kevin, Webster, PP, Nene should go.

Sessons is a 3rd PG ... 2M is more then I would spend....

I would consider keeping Gooden n Temple for end of the bench. Both are good in that role.

Hump I would have to think about. If he shot the 3, I wouldn't need to thing about it.

...they should make the change to a new GM/Coach as well.

I am impressed by this candid and thorough recanting.

This is from a poster who not much more than a month ago was talking about what a great roster we have, what a "colossal fail" this whole thread was, what a good "step by step plan" Ted and Ernie had crafted and how well they were managing it, how wrong all of us who said first (and for a long time -- it having been obvious) what he's saying at this late date, how welcome new posters were who didn't want to criticize, and how he was waiting for the day coming soon when we (not he, but we) had to recant our mistaken criticisms.

It's hard to change your mind that much -- and especially because it's hard to admit when you've been wrong. But admitting your mistakes is a strength not a weakness; it's one of the most important strengths a person can have as a matter of fact. So, far from criticizing Hands, I hope it is obvious that I'm memorializing that strength on his part.

I only wish he could push a button and fire Ernie Grunfeld. But, like the rest of us, this is not in his power.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1445 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:17 am

Welcome to the darkside hands :)
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1446 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:10 am

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

He was probably on a scouting trip to Europe. . .
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#1447 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:53 am

At some point, it'll come out the Ernie has been trolling us (and, earlier, Milwaukee fans) the entire time. That, in fact, he's actually a performance artist who purposefully screws around with franchises. He's secretly taking photos of frustrated and disgusted fans and is developing a collection of pictures that will someday make their way into a coffee table book titled: "HA! by Ernie Grunfeld (with a special introduction by Millie)"
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#1448 » by sashae » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:14 pm

ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1449 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Not many people can make that switch to Harden and reject that shot. That's rim protection.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1450 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:27 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:At some point, it'll come out the Ernie has been trolling us (and, earlier, Milwaukee fans) the entire time. That, in fact, he's actually a performance artist who purposefully screws around with franchises. He's secretly taking photos of frustrated and disgusted fans and is developing a collection of pictures that will someday make their way into a coffee table book titled: "HA! by Ernie Grunfeld (with a special introduction by Millie)"

HOF material...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1451 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:42 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:At some point, it'll come out the Ernie has been trolling us (and, earlier, Milwaukee fans) the entire time. That, in fact, he's actually a performance artist who purposefully screws around with franchises. He's secretly taking photos of frustrated and disgusted fans and is developing a collection of pictures that will someday make their way into a coffee table book titled: "HA! by Ernie Grunfeld (with a special introduction by Millie)"

Hiding the camera in his mustache? It'll be exposed on an episode of Catfish.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1452 » by keynote » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm

I logged on to post that same article. Not surprised someone beat me to it.

Now, it's unclear whether Noel would've gotten the same opportunity to develop in DC, or if he's an ideal long-term fit with Wall on the offensive end. But man, at a minimum, we'd have an extremely piece that we could dangle in any trade.

Sigh.

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#1453 » by AFM » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Keep your head up Keynote. At least we drafted the poor man's Tayshaun Prince. To go along with Murray, the poor man's Temple. And our coach, the poor man's Flip Saunders.
We should rename ourselves the Washington Poor Man's.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1454 » by keynote » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:55 pm

AFM wrote:Keep your head up Keynote. At least we drafted the poor man's Tayshaun Prince. To go along with Murray, the poor man's Temple. And our coach, the poor man's Flip Saunders.
We should rename ourselves the Washington Poor Man's.

Well, we are a small market team, after all.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1455 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:58 pm

Picking Noel was a complete no-brainer.

He would have complemented the bigs Washington already had on the roster, and could have developed alongside Wall and Beal to take over when Nene's contract ran out.

Then again, from the way Washington has handled Porters development, who knows how he would have turned out.

This front office scouted Porter so heavily that they felt he had more potential than Noel, and their first order of business was to give him a taste of professional basketball by playing him out of position at shooting guard.

Absurd, but that's how things go with this franchise.
AFM
General Manager

Post#1456 » by AFM » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:10 pm

How was he a no brainer?

He was the consensus #1 pick for the entire year. How is that a "no brainer"?

When you have a chance to draft Trevor Ariza 2.0 when you already have Trevor Ariza on your team, you do it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1457 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 pm

queridiculo wrote:Picking Noel was a complete no-brainer.

He would have complemented the bigs Washington already had on the roster, and could have developed alongside Wall and Beal to take over when Nene's contract ran out.

Then again, from the way Washington has handled Porters development, who knows how he would have turned out.

This front office scouted Porter so heavily that they felt he had more potential than Noel, and their first order of business was to give him a taste of professional basketball by playing him out of position at shooting guard.

Thing is - they can't even use Noel's injury as an excuse, because they said even before the draft that they weren't planning on their pick to contribute much that year - and as it turned out - Porter contributed nothing as a rookie - which they assured even before Porter got injured by acquiring Ariza and re-signing Webster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1458 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:26 pm

AFM wrote:How was he a no brainer?

When you have a chance to draft Trevor Ariza 2.0 when you already have Trevor Ariza on your team, you do it.

Absolutely!

Wait what? Green font is your friend.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1459 » by miller31time » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:28 pm

queridiculo wrote:Picking Noel was a complete no-brainer.

Chalk another decision this board collectively made correctly over Grunfeld.

(And per protocol, this post in no way means I don't like Porter or think he will develop into a good player)
AFM
General Manager

Post#1460 » by AFM » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:
AFM wrote:How was he a no brainer?

Absolutely!

Wait what? Green font is your friend.

I refuse to make it easy for this board by doing that.

Long live EG, GOAT Businessman

1. Bill Gates
2. Elon Musk
3. Warren Buffett
4. Ernie GOAT Grunfeld

Return to Washington Wizards