ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall---Bradley Beal: Sibling Rivalry?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Re: John Wall---Bradley Beal: Sibling Rivalry? 

Post#41 » by daSwami » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 pm

So then we all agree that Wall and Beal hate each other, right?

WT actual F? this thread is suck.
:banghead:
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#42 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

daSwami wrote:So then we all agree that Wall and Beal hate each other, right?

WT actual F? this thread is suck.

Exactly. Except no one is suggesting they hate each other...
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#43 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:17 pm

DCZards wrote:
tontoz wrote:
I agree which makes EGs win now mindset all the more dubious. Why sacrifice future assets to win a few games now when Beal/Wall clearly need a few years to reach their peak?

It would see to make more sense to build for the long term so that the supporting cast is strongest when Beal/Wall are at their peak.

We can debate what the future holds for the Zards and whether or not EG has effectively sabotaged any long-term success, but there is no debate that the players, especially Wall, are relishing the opportunity to possibly make the playoffs this year--and maybe even advance a round. I think that's a good thing and a long-term confidence-builder, particularly for Wall, Beal and the other youngins who desperately need to experience that kind of success, imo, as modest as it may be.

And there are other benefits to having a decent record. JW probably doesn't make the all-star team or participate in the slam dunk contest if the Zard's record is something like 18-34. And Beal probably doesn't participate in the 3 pt. shooting contest either.

And that is what the entire season was about. A GM that is amazing at drafting might be able to get away with drafting a team from scratch that can get to the playoffs, but usually you see young talent go to waste as the crap team with bad front office draft players that never make it to the playoffs and get traded to other teams where they play well and get that experience.

Philly was stupid to trade Nikola V. Tobias Harris was also picked up by ORL.

But most these high pick team have high picks for a reason. They have bad front offices and they aren't likely to pick well year after year or know how to put enough vets around their young players so they develop with playoff experience. See and CLE and SAC so far.

EG has wasted a ton of assets, but ensuring they aren't wasting Wall and Beal as assets by getting them into the playoff is smart. Specially this being Wall 4th year.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#44 » by tontoz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 pm

DCZards wrote:
tontoz wrote:
I agree which makes EGs win now mindset all the more dubious. Why sacrifice future assets to win a few games now when Beal/Wall clearly need a few years to reach their peak?

It would see to make more sense to build for the long term so that the supporting cast is strongest when Beal/Wall are at their peak.

We can debate what the future holds for the Zards and whether or not EG has effectively sabotaged any long-term success, but there is no debate that the players, especially Wall, are relishing the opportunity to possibly make the playoffs this year--and maybe even advance a round. I think that's a good thing and a long-term confidence-builder, particularly for Wall, Beal and the other youngins who desperately need to experience that kind of success, imo, as modest as it may be.

And there are other benefits to having a decent record. JW probably doesn't make the all-star team or participate in the slam dunk contest if the Zard's record is something like 18-34. And Beal probably doesn't participate in the 3 pt. shooting contest either.

Making the playoffs in a lousy conference isn't my idea of success. being 2 games under .500 in a lousy conference definitely isn't my idea of success.

Two of the big reasons for their "success" will be UFAs this summer. Another big reason, Nene, will certainly be struggling with age by the time Beal/WAll hit their prime, if he isn't already.

And when that day comes when Beal and WAll are at their best and the supporting cast is weak i know what your response will be, that you don't want to dwell on the past.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#45 » by DCZards » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:56 am

tontoz wrote:
And when that day comes when Beal and WAll are at their best and the supporting cast is weak i know what your response will be, that you don't want to dwell on the past.

I don't know if that day will ever come--and neither do you. Right now, let's enjoy Beal and Wall being part of the all-star festivities and showcasing their immense talent/potential--and the Wizards brand--before millions of people...including KD and other potential free agents.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#46 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 am

DCZards wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:My point is that it needs to translate to the court ASAP. I'm not as patient in waiting for chemistry that they already have, as seen off the court, to manifest itself on-court as I am in other areas of their development. That's well within their control IMO...

I saw the same things you saw. There's no hatred or animosity, I expressed that earlier.

They need to take charge of the team so things can really take off for the Wizards. Guarantee you when Wall and Beal really begin taking initiative together for the team's success, they will score more as a duo and the wins above .500 will start to mount.

Of course, the Zards will be an improved team when Beal and Wall develop a better chemistry. No one doubts that. But they can't just flip a switch to make that happen. It takes time...and patience.

Let's not forget that we're talking about two players who are both in their early 20s...playing their first full season together. What you're asking for comes with maturity and experience.

They seem to have pretty good chemistry already. My big concern was that egos might get in the way of what's important, that is, winning one game at a time by any means and getting the team's record to match the team's roster/talent a bit more.

The article about them ironing things out is big to me and I'll be waiting to see what they look like as a duo starting with the game against the Raptors. I don't feel they need three or four full seasons worth of play together in order to put petty individual goals aside.

Don't steal shots from your teammate.

Don't baller "block" if you see your teammate balling out of control but find yourself struggling.

Leaving egos outside of the arena for the good of the team is a concept I think they should be able to grasp right now, especially considering the way the team's been teetering at .500.

I don't know if by chemistry you mean, it becoming second nature for Wall and Beal to know where the other will be on the court, but if so, that's not what I mean.

My concern has more to do with player egos. I'm hoping they're able to put it aside. I'm feeling like there's a good chance they do.

I'm with you, let's enjoy the All-Star festivities...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#47 » by tontoz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:06 am

DCZards wrote:
tontoz wrote:

I don't know if that day will ever come--and neither do you. Right now, let's enjoy Beal and Wall being part of the all-star festivities and showcasing their immense talent/potential--and the Wizards brand--before millions of people...including KD and other potential free agents.

We don't know what will happen in the future but we do know what has happened in the past and we know what your responses have been. Based on what has happened in the past the odds are that their supporting cast will be weak unless major management changes are made.

And i have no doubt what your response will be if/when that happens.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#49 » by Darko Miliminutes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:03 pm

You guys called me nuts for a couple/few years whenever i'd suggest these 2 couldn't stand each other, and that they and the org, have done a great job hiding it. I really didn't think another contract would be signed, until they were split up...i was wrong there.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#50 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Everyone should know the solution here. And its to trade John Wall and soon. I'm not trying to be a troll, but Wall is starting to remind me a little of Derek Rose, minus the constant injuries, but he's certainly still a premier PG right now.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#51 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Everyone should know the solution here. And its to trade John Wall and soon. I'm not trying to be a troll, but Wall is starting to remind me a little of Derek Rose, minus the constant injuries, but he's certainly still a premier PG right now.

Certainly, Wall isn't indispensable. If we can get fair value in return, we should explore trade options, but we should explore those types of trade option for anybody on the roster. This team didn't make the playoffs last year, nobody is untouchable.

But this little spat doesn't really make me more or less inclined to trade Wall. I think the impact of this type of off-the-court drama is blown way out of proportion. Our real problem is that we don't have a lot of talent and we don't have a GM that knows how to acquire talent.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#52 » by AFM » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Our big problem, is our max player is mediocre and his salary has severely handicapped our teams future. Barring a major cap increase, he is virtually untradable, unless he has this mythical talent increase in the next year
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#53 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 pm

AFM wrote:Our big problem, is our max player is mediocre and his salary has severely handicapped our teams future. Barring a major cap increase, he is virtually untradable, unless he has this mythical talent increase in the next year

I think that is over estimating the problem with Beal. At minimum the cap will be 102M next year and 108M the year after. Beal doesnt need "Mythical talent increase" nor Great health. A very modest improvement along with decent health (I.E. Play 65-70+ games and per36 of 20/5/3, TS of 55%, improved defense) would make him movable if need be.

He only becomes an albatross if he makes no improvement or suffers a really bad injury. While I cant speak to the injury because no one knows, I have a hard time believing he doesn't improve. The difference between Brooks and Wittman may not be dramatic overall, I think it will be in regards to skill building and communicating with the young guys. You combine that with Beals obvious work ethic and I feel very confident in predicting that Beal will at least become neutral in value by next summer.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#54 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Sep 4, 2016 5:47 am

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#55 » by payitforward » Sun Sep 4, 2016 3:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Everyone should know the solution here. And its to trade John Wall and soon. I'm not trying to be a troll, but Wall is starting to remind me a little of Derek Rose, minus the constant injuries, but he's certainly still a premier PG right now.

Certainly, Wall isn't indispensable. If we can get fair value in return, we should explore trade options, but we should explore those types of trade option for anybody on the roster. This team didn't make the playoffs last year, nobody is untouchable.

But this little spat doesn't really make me more or less inclined to trade Wall. I think the impact of this type of off-the-court drama is blown way out of proportion. Our real problem is that we don't have a lot of talent and we don't have a GM that knows how to acquire talent.

Couldn't be said any truer or better than that!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#56 » by Kanyewest » Mon Sep 5, 2016 4:15 am

AFM wrote:Our big problem, is our max player is mediocre and his salary has severely handicapped our teams future. Barring a major cap increase, he is virtually untradable, unless he has this mythical talent increase in the next year

In one of the bad case scenarios, I could see Beal being tradeable for an expiring contract in a few years. Some team will talk themselves into Beal being a 25 year old with a lot of potential.

I think the big problem as far as winning a championship goes is the following. John Wall still needs to improve his stock as a 1 option for a championship team; he can play like it when he's at his best but ultimately needs to show up in shape and every night. EG really struck out with Jan Vesley/Singleton. The Wizards ended up winning a lottery pick in 2013 when there really wasn't a sure thing. The Wizards really haven't hit it big with a later first round pick or 2nd round pick in over decade. The Wizards gave the biggest contract to Scott Brooks who may not even be an average coach. The Wizards have no homecourt advantage to speak of because of poor optics by management (ie playing Marylyn Manson at tip-off, $9 beers, loss of culture from changing from Wizards to Bullets). And the summer of 2016 netted average decent role players when the Wizards needed a star (plus the Wizards most likely overpaid for Jason Smith).

Return to Washington Wizards