Official Trade Thread - Part XXVII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXVII 

Post#441 » by dobrojim » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:I hate watching Nick Young play almost as much as I hate watching JR Smith play.

Yup. Fans love them when they're hot, but you don't win with 1 dimensional players like them.

still laughing inside when I think about that recent vid of NY turning and throwing his hands up
trying to be Gil. Then the shot rims out. I hope Shaqtin a fool got that one.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#442 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Getting the 7th and 8th seeds in this conference is basically just an acknowledgement that you weren't tanking at this point. We're not even close to sniffing the Gil/Caron/Twan teams' jockstrap right now.

Huh, you realize the trio of Gil/Caron/Twan won 42, 41 & 43 games and 43 win season was basically without Gil. I'm pretty sure this current team would match up with that one pretty well. Wall would destroy that team pretty easily because the only guy that played any defense, Brendan Haywood, typically got like 20 minutes a night. Wall would live in the paint, especially if Antawn, Etan & Michael Ruffin are your main defenders most of the night.

I agree about the not tanking part but frankly this team compares very well to those prime Arenas years (which were basically wasted IMO under Eddie & Ernie) is arguably better. But to be honest that isn't saying much. It's basically comparing one mediocre team to another.

I think this team is more talented. Ariza is a two-way player. Gortat and Nene both compete at both ends of the court. Butler and Jamison gave up rebounds and points when they weren't torching opponents. They wouldn't dominate this team. In fact, guys like Gooden, Booker, and even Seraphin would have scored and or rebounded; not to mention Gortat and Nene.

This team IMO has MUCH MORE TALENT but they have young Gs and are somewhat rudder-less when Wall is not on point. Wall and Beal dominate the ball and often play like young guys--that's the difference. Gilbert generally destroyed his matchup. The old teams under EJ won by FTs and star calls, as well as by hitting clutch shots.

I believe EJ, with this team full of guys who know how to defend, would have won about 50 games.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#443 » by Nivek » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:26 pm

Minutes weighted average PPA for this year's Wizards: 107. Minutes weighted average for the 2005-06 Wizards: 106. If I exclude Vesely and Maynor from the matchup, this season's Wizards rise to a 109. Grunfeld can build himself some mediocrity.

If I assign minutes by likely playoff rotations, this year's team pulls ahead -- their playoff rotation rates a 122; the 05-06 Wizards rates a 112.

That 05-06 roster is bad. Yeesh. Arenas played 42 minutes a night; Jamison played 40. Wall this season is tops on the Wizards at 36.6 -- Butler (3rd highest MPG in 05-06) was at 36.1. The bench was a joke after Daniels and maybe Thomas.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#444 » by Hidden Eye » Wed Apr 9, 2014 10:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Hidden Eye wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:
How does Love's offense not overcome his defensive ability (which has improved over his career btw.)?

Love's become one of the more dangerous post players in the NBA. He's not just a jump shooter.

http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/playe ... 3-2014-REG

He still can't play Defense and that's one decent year he had.. He isn't winning games for the Twolves. Signing him would be a huge risk. How many games would he miss.. that would be a lot.

Yeah, he's been so injury-prone this season that he's only played 72 games and barely averaged over 36 minutes a game.

And he still can't play Defense his offensive game isn't a game changer.. i'm sure the Wizards want to sign another PF :roll:
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#445 » by verbal8 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Hidden Eye wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Hidden Eye wrote:
He still can't play Defense and that's one decent year he had.. He isn't winning games for the Twolves. Signing him would be a huge risk. How many games would he miss.. that would be a lot.

Yeah, he's been so injury-prone this season that he's only played 72 games and barely averaged over 36 minutes a game.

And he still can't play Defense his offensive game isn't a game changer.. i'm sure the Wizards want to sign another PF :roll:

Isn't a game changer offensively? Of above average usage players with over 1000 minutes played he is tied for 4th(with Dirk and Dragic). in Offensive rating. His usage and Offensive rating are close to Dirk and Harden.

Only Durant and Lebron have a clear argument of being more productive players offensively. Maybe a case could be made for Paul. Anyone else who is possibly better offensively, the gap is pretty close.

http://bkref.com/tiny/R8eMC
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#446 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:16 pm

his rebounding consistency and outlet passing would both be welcome
additions to this team. And if you like or put much weight on dub-dubs,
he's best in the league by a good margin in that category. He has 62
in 74 games played.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#447 » by TGW » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Are there folks really questioning Kevin Love's ability? That dude would instantly be the best player on this team by a good margin. Sheesh.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#448 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

deneem4 wrote:Nick young was my favorite player along with wall back then...He's streaky but when he's on he's on...
I See Tht In Rice jr...Wished Him AND Porter Came Off The Bench Together...

Il trade nene with the quickness for anything, if he's was healthy we'll probably be the 3rd seed instead we might be the 7th...

:dontknow:
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#449 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Getting the 7th and 8th seeds in this conference is basically just an acknowledgement that you weren't tanking at this point. We're not even close to sniffing the Gil/Caron/Twan teams' jockstrap right now.

Huh, you realize the trio of Gil/Caron/Twan won 42, 41 & 43 games and 43 win season was basically without Gil. I'm pretty sure this current team would match up with that one pretty well. Wall would destroy that team pretty easily because the only guy that played any defense, Brendan Haywood, typically got like 20 minutes a night. Wall would live in the paint, especially if Antawn, Etan & Michael Ruffin are your main defenders most of the night.

I agree about the not tanking part but frankly this team compares very well to those prime Arenas years (which were basically wasted IMO under Eddie & Ernie) is arguably better. But to be honest that isn't saying much. It's basically comparing one mediocre team to another.

I think this team is more talented. Ariza is a two-way player. Gortat and Nene both compete at both ends of the court. Butler and Jamison gave up rebounds and points when they weren't torching opponents. They wouldn't dominate this team. In fact, guys like Gooden, Booker, and even Seraphin would have scored and or rebounded; not to mention Gortat and Nene.

This team IMO has MUCH MORE TALENT but they have young Gs and are somewhat rudder-less when Wall is not on point. Wall and Beal dominate the ball and often play like young guys--that's the difference. Gilbert generally destroyed his matchup. The old teams under EJ won by FTs and star calls, as well as by hitting clutch shots.

I believe EJ, with this team full of guys who know how to defend, would have won about 50 games.

If there is one good thing Wittman does, its that he keeps the focus on D. Two weeks under EFJ and this team would be a terrible defensive team. I don't EFJ as an upgrade over Wit. Actually, I would would it a downgrade. But about this. How about neither and we get a legit HC.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#450 » by deneem4 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 am

hands11 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Nick young was my favorite player along with wall back then...He's streaky but when he's on he's on...
I See Tht In Rice jr...Wished Him AND Porter Came Off The Bench Together...

Il trade nene with the quickness for anything, if he's was healthy we'll probably be the 3rd seed instead we might be the 7th...

:dontknow:

Because we all know he will never be healthy for a full season...we been dealing with this in and out since his 1st full yr here...

N the difference in the east 3rd- 7th seeds is 6games...so yea I think a healthy starting pf could've been a 6 game difference for us
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#451 » by nuposse04 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm hoping Webster has a good playoffs so we may be able to package him and send em elsewhere.

Booker+Webster to Mem for Davis+filler in a sign and trade.
Youheardme90
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#452 » by Youheardme90 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 pm

hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

If there is one good thing Wittman does, its that he keeps the focus on D. Two weeks under EFJ and this team would be a terrible defensive team. I don't EFJ as an upgrade over Wit. Actually, I would would it a downgrade. But about this. How about neither and we get a legit HC.

Jerry Sloan maybe?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#453 » by dangermouse » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am

If Grunfeld hired Sloan i would forgive him for everything
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#454 » by Hypnotizer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I'll take short contract filler centers--Hill, Okafor, Dalembert, etc over extending Gortat. He's simply not that good.

Plus-minus Dud: Jordan Hill (LAL) was a minus-51 in three games last week.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#455 » by Dark Faze » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:I'll take short contract filler centers--Hill, Okafor, Dalembert, etc over extending Gortat. He's simply not that good.

Plus-minus Dud: Jordan Hill (LAL) was a minus-51 in three games last week.

He plays for a tanking team, of course he's going to have bad +/- stats.

He is averaging 16, 10, and 2 in just 30 mpg in the month of April though.

I want to make it clear I don't like him as the only replacement of Gortat. Injury history is concerning with Hill. But getting Hill and a very good backup C would be better for our long term outlook in combination with potentially being better in the short term. Advanced stats say Hill is the better player at the moment.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#456 » by gesa2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Could we have created cap room to sign Greg Smith? Feels like a missed opportunity letting the Bulls get him.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#457 » by verbal8 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:16 pm

gesa2 wrote:Could we have created cap room to sign Greg Smith? Feels like a missed opportunity letting the Bulls get him.

They would have had to waive a player, but it would have been possible. Since it looks like his salary would be pro-rated, the Wizards could still be just under the luxury tax level.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#458 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:32 pm

gesa2 wrote:Could we have created cap room to sign Greg Smith? Feels like a missed opportunity letting the Bulls get him.

Agreed -- I was shocked that Houston let him go. He just turned 23. A better player than e.g. Kevin Seraphin in just about every way.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#459 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 am

payitforward wrote:

Agreed -- I was shocked that Houston let him go. He just turned 23. A better player than e.g. Kevin Seraphin in just about every way.

I was thinking the same thing as soon as it happened, but I'm just a little too tired of getting bent out of shape over these things. The Wizards are like an alcoholic parent that I'm relatively powerless to change. The thought process now is usually, "It'd be nice if the Wizards could [fill in the blank], but nah, it'll probably never happen," and on to the next, trying to conserve a sufficient reserve of hysteria for the REALLY BIG BLUNDER.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#460 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 am

dangermouse wrote:If Grunfeld hired Sloan i would forgive him for everything

Me too. Wait, he's still going to fire himself, right?

Return to Washington Wizards