ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Thread -- Wizards vs Pacers (3/28/14)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Who will prevail??

Representing the most powerful city in the world....
25%
Indy
75%

Total votes: 12

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official Thread -- Wizards vs Pacers (3/28/14) 

Post#201 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:15 am

Jay81 wrote:We could have Gooden the entire season but instead we let him lift weights in Bethesda while trotting people like Vesley and Singelton and Seraphin on the court. God forbid Ernie initiates a good move on his own.....

:nonono:
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#202 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:33 am

I absolutely like the passion the guys showed out there + defensive intensity! I honestly did not think Gortat could throw down like that. Makes me even more annoyed at the weak layups that he has been throwing up all season, that usually get blocked.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#203 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am

MOrgil wrote:Webster should be starting in place of Beal until Beal show us something.

So you're saying the fans should vote on Beal starting? He is struggling offensively, but his defense is needed, especially against point guards that John can't defend. Tonight, George Hill isn't a penetrating point guard so John didn't need Brad's help.

The kid is obviously not 100% physically or mentally. He just lets too many things get to him. But to say Webster gives us a better chance? I don't think so. He's fine coming off the bench. I'll continue to say that we needed a real backup 2 guard like Thornton or Neal since Randy has no faith in Temple or Rice. If we had one, I'd say sit Beal but Webby and all his physical problems are not the answer. I would rest him more though depending on the matchup as long as Webster can stay in front of the guy he's defending.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#204 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:05 am

hands11 wrote:
Jay81 wrote:We could have Gooden the entire season but instead we let him lift weights in Bethesda while trotting people like Vesley and Singelton and Seraphin on the court. God forbid Ernie initiates a good move on his own.....

:nonono:

Yawn. The bitch brigade continues.

Hell of a win tonight. Some of you grinches might want to enjoy it for at least 20 hours. :banghead:
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#205 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 am

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:I absolutely like the passion the guys showed out there + defensive intensity! I honestly did not think Gortat could throw down like that. Makes me even more annoyed at the weak layups that he has been throwing up all season, that usually get blocked.

He's not super athletic but I don't think he trusts himself enough as a nimble big dude. Hibbert is just a big, show dude he can get around. He's not dunking on Dwight Howard. Or Tyson Chandler. Or Joakim Noah. But there are guys he can take advantage of on that PNR.
popper
Veteran
And1: 361

Post#206 » by popper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:16 am

Beal needs less minutes. I honestly think GR3 should be competing for minutes at the 2.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#207 » by dangermouse » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:41 am

popper wrote:Beal needs less minutes. I honestly think GR3 should be competing for minutes at the 2.

This. I'd like to see more Temple and maybe a smattering of Miller + Wall before we hit the playoffs, and decrease Beal's minutes. I love Beal, it takes a lot more for me to hate on a player than most of the posters here, but he has been so disappointing most of this year. Wittman is partly to blame too, he plays him way too much and goes to him over and over again with that Beal/Gortat screen play for a long two or a rushed 3 pointer. Its not working. It has rarely worked. Why keep going back to something that is consistently failing? Let Wall or Andre touch the ball and set up a play. Go to Gortat down low. Those Beal shots should be last resort.

Back to the game, it was great to get the win. I had my doubts when we started to slow down when the first unit came back in the 2nd. It was a mix of Wall turnovers and Beal missed jumpers that got them back in it, period. Wall improved after that Pacers run, I cant say the same for Beal.

West sets an illegal pick every single time. He should have fouled out.

Somehow i'd love for us to get an athletic PF who can dunk over people and catch oops from Wall. The Wall/Gortat pick and roll was sick and looked unstoppable when we executed it perfectly. Imagine if we had a Griffin type (i know i know, he'd improve any team) or even Ibaka or a Manimal type. A good coach could really utilise their athleticism in the p'n'r to attack the basket.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#208 » by montestewart » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 am

Winning is good. Beating Pacers is better. So much for my 13 game losing streak.

Did Ariza score all his points in the 3rd quarter? His line looks pretty bad.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by dangermouse » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:22 am

Riza did a great job on Paul George.

I think he got most of his points in the 3rd yes.

Aside: Our second unit dominated theirs today. Harrington came out with fire, and Miller and Gooden fed off it.

Evan Turner sucks. Did he do anything? We talk about our WizKids not improving but what has Evan done? Maybe Pacers should have just kept Granger. Even if they lost him for nothing in the OS at least they might have a better chance against Miami with him now.

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#210 » by montestewart » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:31 am

dangermouse wrote:Riza did a great job on Paul George.

Aside: Our second unit dominated theirs today. Harrington came out with fire, and Miller and Gooden fed off it.

Agree on Ariza D, which has been great since he got here. Best Harrington game I've seen since he got here.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#211 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:02 am

Jay81 wrote:I FAILED on my prediction. I thought the game was in Indiana tonight and forgot that they played the Heat last night. Schedule makers gave us a gift tonight

The Pacers played the Heat Wednesday.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#212 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:03 am

At least EG picked him up. Given the way he's played and the lack of quality bigs in the league I'm surprised no other GM did.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#213 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:07 am

dangermouse wrote:
popper wrote:Beal needs less minutes. I honestly think GR3 should be competing for minutes at the 2.

This. I'd like to see more Temple and maybe a smattering of Miller + Wall before we hit the playoffs, and decrease Beal's minutes. I love Beal, it takes a lot more for me to hate on a player than most of the posters here, but he has been so disappointing most of this year. Wittman is partly to blame too, he plays him way too much and goes to him over and over again with that Beal/Gortat screen play for a long two or a rushed 3 pointer. Its not working. It has rarely worked. Why keep going back to something that is consistently failing? Let Wall or Andre touch the ball and set up a play. Go to Gortat down low. Those Beal shots should be last resort.

Back to the game, it was great to get the win. I had my doubts when we started to slow down when the first unit came back in the 2nd. It was a mix of Wall turnovers and Beal missed jumpers that got them back in it, period. Wall improved after that Pacers run, I cant say the same for Beal.

Somehow i'd love for us to get an athletic PF who can dunk over people and catch oops from Wall. The Wall/Gortat pick and roll was sick and looked unstoppable when we executed it perfectly. Imagine if we had a Griffin type (i know i know, he'd improve any team) or even Ibaka or a Manimal type. A good coach could really utilise their athleticism in the p'n'r to attack the basket.

Faried throw an ally upp to Ves tonight from beyond the 3 point line and Ves climbed the later to get it.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#214 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 am

80sballboy wrote:
MOrgil wrote:Webster should be starting in place of Beal until Beal show us something.

So you're saying the fans should vote on Beal starting? He is struggling offensively, but his defense is needed, especially against point guards that John can't defend. Tonight, George Hill isn't a penetrating point guard so John didn't need Brad's help.

The kid is obviously not 100% physically or mentally. He just lets too many things get to him. But to say Webster gives us a better chance? I don't think so. He's fine coming off the bench. I'll continue to say that we needed a real backup 2 guard like Thornton or Neal since Randy has no faith in Temple or Rice. If we had one, I'd say sit Beal but Webby and all his physical problems are not the answer. I would rest him more though depending on the matchup as long as Webster can stay in front of the guy he's defending.

Lance Stephenson pushed Beal around on both ends. Interesting stat line by Stephenson 3-13 from the field but 8 free throw attempts and 14 rebounds :o

I really hope that Beal works on his mid-range game this offseason or stop taking it altogether. IIRC, he was a much better mid range shooter in college.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#215 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 am

montestewart wrote:Winning is good. Beating Pacers is better. So much for my 13 game losing streak.

Did Ariza score all his points in the 3rd quarter? His line looks pretty bad.

Yup. At least he contributed in other ways (5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 0 turnovers plus good defense).
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#216 » by Kanyewest » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 am

dangermouse wrote:Riza did a great job on Paul George.

Evan Turner sucks. Did he do anything? We talk about our WizKids not improving but what has Evan done? Maybe Pacers should have just kept Granger. Even if they lost him for nothing in the OS at least they might have a better chance against Miami with him now.

Evan Turner lack of success has been quite odd coming out of the draft IMO. Guess I didn't realize he was that poor of a shooter from outside the arc in college. Maybe he turns up a gear in the postseason, I believe he has had a game winner in one playoff game. You may be right though, Granger just spreading the floor plus his defense may have been better than Turner. Maybe the Pacers should have used their 2nd to get Andre Miller.
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#217 » by TheBabyMaker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:44 am

hands11 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:

Faried throw an ally upp to Ves tonight from beyond the 3 point line and Ves climbed the later to get it.

Who gives a **** Faried and Ves got blown out by 31 points tonight.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#218 » by dangermouse » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:13 am

Ves is a barely passale garbage-man type player. Mostly garbage player, tbh. I'm talking sopmeone starter quality.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,064

Post#219 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:44 pm

dangermouse wrote:Wittman is partly to blame too, he plays him way too much and goes to him over and over again with that Beal/Gortat screen play for a long two or a rushed 3 pointer. Its not working. It has rarely worked. Why keep going back to something that is consistently failing?

This times infinity.

I hate that play and it never works. Why does Randy run it so often? It must be a play that Mike Fratello ran for Wittman 20 years ago and Randy must have liked it then. Newsflash Randy! The play SUCKS! STOP USING IT!

I would love to see the Synergy stats on that particular play, but it probably isn't broken out right. It'll probably include all Gortat/Beal pick-and-rolls, and the normal pick-and-roll they run works just fine.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#220 » by mohammed10 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Just saw the DVR of the game. A few thoughts:

That was a huge, huge win! Our current Big 3 really came through, and that's the type of game where Ariza shows he's so much more than just a 3pt shooter too. He was a putrid 2-12 but hugely impacted the game and more so late which is even better. Love how he played on defense (can you really say that for a guy who shot 2-12?). He’s going to leave some nice size shoes to fill next year.

Miller and Harrington were really key as well, though up 20 to me it looked like Al needed a rest. I dont know what it looked like in person but you can see his knees are pretty shot. Use him sparingly, Randy.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards