Post#2 » by buszmen » Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 pm

better season then expected - B
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Re: Wizards Grades 

Post#3 » by closg00 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Grade C

Slightly above average record and we whiffed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#4 » by pancakes3 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 pm

closg00 wrote:Grade C

Slightly above average record and we whiffed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Remind me to not take your class. Geeze.
Bullets -> Wizards
Youheardme90
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#5 » by Youheardme90 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 pm

B - Exceeded expectations. Made a good showing in the Postseason.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#6 » by J-Ves » Fri May 16, 2014 5:56 pm

On the regular season I give them a C+. This season was full of ups and downs that started on a major down. Losing Okafor to injury, trading a 1st round pick for Gortat, and stating the season at 2-7 was typical sowizards, but they eventually righted the ship and had some great wins along the way(vs OKC, at PHO, vs MIA, vs POR). Best part of the season was finishing 1 game up on the Lolcats, dooming them to a sweep at the hands of the Heat. EAT IT LOLCAT FANS.

On the playoffs I give them an A-. No one gave them a shot vs the Bulls(including myself) and they beat them soundly. Winning 2 vs Indiana were the first wins in the second round in a looooooooooong time. Best postseason I've ever witnessed as a Wizards fan. Can't give them an A or A+ because this was an historically weak eastern conference and getting past the Pacers was a very real goal that they failed to accomplish.

Taken on a whole I give them a B

Trevor Ariza- A+, best 3 and D player in the league, to bad hes an URFA.

Bradley Beal- C+, hes only 20 but I was hoping for more development in year 2. needs to cut back on the long 2s, but probably wont with Witt at the helm.

Trevor Booker B, a slightly better then usual season for Book and he stayed healthy. Hes a keeper at the right price.

Drew Gooden A, A great rebounder, and good shooter, couldn't ask for a better mid season pickup.

Marcin Gortat B+, Hes a great complement to Wall and added a different dimension to the wizards offense with PnR action. He also was an adequate rim defender.

Al Harrington C-

Nene Hilario- B-, Nene is the man and was a major help vs the Bulls. He was once again injured this season :nonono:

Eric Maynor- FFF, Worst. Player. EVER.

Andre Miller- A-, came in and showed these young whippersnappers how to ball. He truly is the Professor.

Otto Porter Jr. D, I have high hopes for Ottomatic, but his rookie season as a whole was a disaster.

Glen Rice Jr. D

Kevin Seraphin, D+, meh

Chris Singleton D, good riddance

Garrett Temple C-

Jan Vesely D+

John Wall- A-, He didn't really improve this year over last, but hes clearly the wizards best player and without him the Wizards would never make the playoffs

Martell Webster C+, a very solid regular season was followed up with a pretty terrible postseason, especially vs the Pacers. I'm still a big fan tho.

Ted B-, Ted seems like a cool dude and wearing Nenes jersey during game 4 vs the Bulls was awesome.

EG D+, Had some nice midseason pickups in Gooden and Miller but also signed Mayer to a 2 year deal and has been an historically bad drafter. Also traded away this years pick.

Wittman B, The long 2s and refusal to use Ariza as a stretch 4 at times was maddening, but the Wizards have had a good defense under him. I also like that he has a structured minute distribution and in general didn't overplay his best players.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#7 » by tontoz » Fri May 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Realistically the only guys who deserve an A are Ariza and Gooden.

Teamwise i'll give them a B due to the postseason. At least we aren't the armpit of the east any more. the Cavs/Bucks have taken the mantel.

Wall i will give a B- . He definitely lost points due to the postseason.

Beal i will give a C+. He gained points during the posteason.

Nene C. Gortat B-. Webster C-.

Everyone else whatever.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#8 » by Dark Faze » Fri May 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Team : B

They technically underachieved because I think we had the talent to beat Indiana, but getting close to exceeding expectations is very good.

Individually:

Wall - B : I wanted to give him a B- for his offensive struggles during the post season but improving his 3pt percentage , staying healthy and making the all-star game negated that.

Beal - B - : Proved his distance shooting wasn't a one year fluke. Developed a bit of a floor game. A lot of the positives here come from the post season run though as he lost us a lot of regular season games with his shot selection--the regular season PER tells the story here. Potentially our best player within a year or two though.

Ariza - B: Nearly flawless regular season, but I thought he was far too passive during the Pacers series, to the point where I'd rather reach for higher upside at the position moving forward.

Nene - C- : If it wasn't for the Chicago series this might be a D+ . His defensive effort during the Pacers series and how he let David West keep the Pacers alive through his play and intensity was terrible. If he had managed to shut West up the Pacers would have been dead in the water. He also wasn't dependable at all.

Gortat - A-: Was a solid C+ for much of the year, the last month or so plus post season made him essential to this team moving forward to me. Both leadership wise and on the floor.

Bench:

Miller - C: Looked drunk out there some nights but did just enough to keep his spot barring help.
Rice - Incomplete
Porter - Incomplete
Webster - D+: Did everything I absolutely feared he would when we gave him that deal. Looked injury prone, his shot got flat, stole minutes from our rook.
Booker - B+ : Was healthy this year, held us up for a short period when Nene let us down, helped us withstand Chicagos physicality in the playoffs. Its a shame we couldn't find minutes for his toughness in the Pacers series.

Gooden - A+ : Excellent in every way. And I also saw him helping our young guys keep our heads up after the Pacers loss which means a lot given how short of a time he's had here. Deserves more than vet min.

Seraphin - F: Hasn't learned anything. Trash.

Singleton - C: Surprisingly Singleton showed me some things this year offensively. Advanced stats don't really show it, but he looked much better with the eye test. Still gone though but maybe we'll see a Shelvin Mack like resurgance from him elsewhere.

Templeton - C- : Thought he regressed from last year. Becoming a waste of roster spot now.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,997

Post#9 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 16, 2014 8:47 pm

So far the Grade of B has it for the team. I think it makes sense, got into the playoffs and won a series. How can that not be at least a B. No question it would have been an A if we won the Indy series.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#10 » by Illuminaire » Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Team Grade: C-

I don't see a second round flameout as over-achieving. Ernie has been trying to get this group to the playoffs for three years, and every roster move for the last two was an all-in gambit. When every organizational resource is leveraged towards success *right now*, getting to the second round in a horrendous Eastern conference is nothing special.

The Wizards bet the house and made par. I'm not grading them on a curve just because the franchise has been utterly abysmal for so long. In fact, I just talked myself into tacking on a minus.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#11 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Were these the expectations?

A - Better than the second round
B - Second Round exit
C - First round exit
D - Barely miss the playoffs
E - Not even sniffing the playoffs

What are the expectations for next year?
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#12 » by FreeBalling » Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 pm

What if someone told you at the beginning of the season the Wizards would finish 10 games out from winning the Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy. Looking back it should have been 9 games. However, I believe our team learned valuable information on what it takes to close out playoff games. Every possession must count.

I think the Wizards earned a B+ for the year. My expatiations were just to make the playoffs. We beat several of the best NBA teams and I hope our players stay focused in the off season.

Great job Wizards :usa:
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
tontoz
RealGM

Post#13 » by tontoz » Sat May 17, 2014 12:11 am

FreeBalling wrote:What if someone told you at the beginning of the season the Wizards would finish 6 games out from winning the Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy. Looking back it should have been 5 games. However, I believe our team learned valuable information on what it takes to close out playoff games. Every possession must count.

I think the Wizards earned a B+ for the year. My expatiations were just to make the playoffs. We beat several of the best NBA teams and I hope our players stay focused in the off season.

^
6? You sure about that? :)
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#14 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 17, 2014 12:22 am

tontoz wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:What if someone told you at the beginning of the season the Wizards would finish 6 games out from winning the Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy. Looking back it should have been 5 games. However, I believe our team learned valuable information on what it takes to close out playoff games. Every possession must count.

^
6? You sure about that? :)

You missed my error. its 10 games to win it all. Six sounded so much better when I was typing. :banghead:

I see you did the edit thing as well.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Post#15 » by CobraCommander » Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 am

I guess I am in minority but I give the wiz an A. I looked at the wiz roster and at the beginning of the year and I felt like if they attained the rank of 3rd best team in east that would be a great year. I think the wiz did that- the wiz are the 3rd best team in east. I didn't think this was a eastern finals team and they honestly had a chance against Indiana but fell short. I congratulate them and while I hate that they lost, I think we learned a lot about wall and beal that will help them long term.

Wall- regular season A - playoffs B- if not a C
- he looked scared to death a few times in the Indiana series. Passing up shots and didn't take the leadership role that your best player needs to. If he doesn't become a real leader the wiz will never take the next step.
Beal - reg season B - playoffs B
- so damn young that if he keeps improving he will be great
Ariza - reg season B and playoffs B-
- Ariza had great games but he also had a lot of single digit games- honestly people give Ariza a pass on those games that he is off and they kill wall and beal for similar games.
Nene- reg season B- playoffs C
- oft hurt but more often he is the best wizard on floor in reg season. Nene was great in bulls series but that headbutt was one of the dumbest things I ever saw. Fortunately the bulls didn't jump on us and we won that. In the end it was Nene's man (west) that ended our season-
Gortat- reg season B - playoffs B-
- like all of the starters- inconsistent all year. Showed great production but not all the time.

Randy Wittman reg season D playoffs D
- I don't understand how he gets a pass with how often the wiz just lay down and not win. How we still don't know if Porter can play. Seraphim hasn't developed into a player but he appears to have some talent. The wiz look lost far too often. I went to so many games this year and the games were predictable. Losing to Cleveland and Milwaukee then beating great teams - that's coaching. I think we should look at how golden state wants a better coach even though mark Jackson wins.

Bench- C reg season B playoffs

old geezers! Reg season B and playoffs B- they were inconsistent but they did great work in spurts
Young guys- (Webster included) C and playoffs B-
tontoz
RealGM

Post#16 » by tontoz » Sat May 17, 2014 1:15 am

FreeBalling wrote:

I see you did the edit thing as well.

Now if we could just show hands how to use that feature.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#17 » by WallToWall » Sat May 17, 2014 4:50 am

I dont know why but giving a grade was harder than it should have been! I graded on a sliding scale, and gave them a B. Really though, this was more of a C+ season. Dont let the success in the playoffs forget about the rest of the season. On the other hand, it can be said that getting into the playoffs is what you play the regular season for. After you get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Our season was filled with many ups and downs. Very big ups and very big downs. But in the end, I said "I believe" in the team. So the sliding scale of a B grade.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#18 » by dckingsfan » Sat May 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Can I get the reasoning behind a grade of A for the Wizards? Expectations?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#19 » by dckingsfan » Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 pm

58 Percent with a grade of B...
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#20 » by FAH1223 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:36 pm

A C for the regular season.

A B for the playoffs.

It would be a A- for the playoffs if they didn't give away Games 2 and 4 against IND.

A B+ if they could have just won a game at home and lost in 7 to IND.

Return to Washington Wizards