ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Wizards interested in Kevin Love

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Report: Wizards interested in Kevin Love 

Post#421 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 am

Even if Ariza and Gortat get overpaid the future could see either of them traded or Nene's expiring contract dealt next year. I foresee Porter being traded if Ariza is resigned.

Porter with Nene's expiring, along with draft picks could get a star who demands a trade. I think Cousins is much more realistic than Durant or Love.

I think it's not necessary to worry about paying to retain both Ariza and Gortat. Porter playing more might reduce his trade value. Until I see more, Otto seems on first impression to be not unlike Wesley Johnson, Thomas Robinson, and Evan Turner. What pick a player is drafted does not indicate how good that play will perform.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#422 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:22 am

Dark Faze wrote:I just don't think that our FO is competent enough to both simultaneously structure the contracts in such a way that it gives us future flexibility to sign a free agent while also not overpaying.

We'll be lucky not to overpay both of them for 4 full years. At best we'll bring them back at market value for a standard contract length.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Washington doesn't massively overpay both four years or longer.

Bye bye Beal.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#423 » by FreeBalling » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:24 am

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
fishercob wrote:
The same things they should be doing regardless -- trying to re-up Ariza and Gortat so as to minimize their cap hits for the next two summers as best they can, and move Nene for the quickest financial relief they can get.

I think I'd re-sign Gortat to a 4 yr/$44 million deal but let Ariza walk. Maybe do something like $12/$11.25/$10.5/$9.75 for Gortat.

The way to structure his deal to minimize his 2015 cap hit is to go: initial salary/-7.5%/+7.5%/+7.5%. So if he were to get 4 years, $44M, it would be structured:
2014/15: $11M
2015/16: $10.175M
2019/17: $11M
2017/18: $11.875M

Tim Duncan just opted in 10,361,000. Arguable the best PF to EVER play the game. Tim is not about MAXING salary but WINNING trophies. It would be nice if our executive management and leadership could get the players to buy into spreading the wealth to obtain quality players.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#424 » by FreeBalling » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:29 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Even if Ariza and Gortat get overpaid the future could see either of them traded or Nene's expiring contract dealt next year. I foresee Porter being traded if Ariza is resigned.

Porter with Nene's expiring, along with draft picks could get a star who demands a trade. I think Cousins is much more realistic than Durant or Love.

I think it's not necessary to worry about paying to retain both Ariza and Gortat. Porter playing more might reduce his trade value. Until I see more, Otto seems on first impression to be not unlike Wesley Johnson, Thomas Robinson, and Evan Turner. What pick a player is drafted does not indicate how good that play will perform.

Isn't Cousins a big head-case...The guy is out of control. Guys like him as great as they are destroy team chemistry and divide the locker-room.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
RealGM

Post#425 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 am

They said the same about Zach Randolph 10 years ago, and Rasheed Wallace about 15 years ago. Ron Artest was a headcase. Metta World Peace won a championship.

Cousins and Wittman can quarrel and each hold his own. Veterans and winning would be refreshing for Cousins. Wall and he are dynamic and effective together. IMO DeMarcus is an even better player than Wall.

How many technical fouls and games missed due to suspension has Cousins received? Why did the Kings max him out? Has his NBA game evolved in a way that says PROFESSIONAL basketball player?

More importantly, can one monkey stop the show? The current Wizards already have been in the playoffs. Cousins won't be prima donna or alpha male except in his own mind.

Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#426 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:26 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Kevin-Love

Bulls offer Gibson, #16, and #19 for Love. Oh me oh my. That's fairly attractive. TJ Warren, Adrien Payne, Rodney Hood, James Young, Tyler Ennis, and Jordan Adams are all there.
Bullets -> Wizards
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#427 » by queridiculo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 am

Gibson is 30 years old and no. 16 and 19 are total crap shoots. I don't see how that's attractive at all, might be better off just letting Love walk next year, or hope for a better deal as the season approaches.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#428 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:09 am

FreeBalling wrote:Tim Duncan just opted in 10,361,000. Arguable the best PF to EVER play the game. Tim is not about MAXING salary but WINNING trophies. It would be nice if our executive management and leadership could get the players to buy into spreading the wealth to obtain quality players.

Duncan has never seemed to have an out-of-control ego or connected his self worth with having the largest stack of cash. On the other hand, he's already earned a lot of cash (over $200 million), he doesn't seem to have spendthrift habits, those five rings probably go a long way to making his ego secure, and he has a very real chance to get a sixth ring, so sacrificing some money to make it happen may seem like a very wise move for him. Wade, Bosh, and James likely felt the same. I don't think the Wizards are close enough to a ring to make such a plea to Ariza, Gortat, or anyone else.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#429 » by TGW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 am

pancakes3 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233877/Bulls-Offering-Gibson-Snell-Two-Picks-To-Wolves-For-Kevin-Love

Bulls offer Gibson, #16, and #19 for Love. Oh me oh my. That's fairly attractive. TJ Warren, Adrien Payne, Rodney Hood, James Young, Tyler Ennis, and Jordan Adams are all there.

To me, that's a "meh" offer. Gibson is a bench player getting paid too much, and the picks are middling.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#430 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:36 am

FreeBalling wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
I think I'd re-sign Gortat to a 4 yr/$44 million deal but let Ariza walk. Maybe do something like $12/$11.25/$10.5/$9.75 for Gortat.

The way to structure his deal to minimize his 2015 cap hit is to go: initial salary/-7.5%/+7.5%/+7.5%. So if he were to get 4 years, $44M, it would be structured:
2014/15: $11M
2015/16: $10.175M
2019/17: $11M
2017/18: $11.875M

Tim Duncan just opted in 10,361,000. Arguable the best PF to EVER play the game. Tim is not about MAXING salary but WINNING trophies. It would be nice if our executive management and leadership could get the players to buy into spreading the wealth to obtain quality players.

Tim Duncan has made $224 million dollars over his career not including the $10 million he's about to make next year and he doesn't pay state taxes. Gortat in comparison has only made $35 million.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#431 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

queridiculo wrote:Gibson is 30 years old and no. 16 and 19 are total crap shoots. I don't see how that's attractive at all, might be better off just letting Love walk next year, or hope for a better deal as the season approaches.

TGW wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233877/Bulls-Offering-Gibson-Snell-Two-Picks-To-Wolves-For-Kevin-Love

To me, that's a "meh" offer. Gibson is a bench player getting paid too much, and the picks are middling.

Well color me surprised. I really like Gibson and I thought that as Wiz fans, you would join me in my overestimation of his abilities. Today is literally Gibson's 29th birthday (Happy Birthday Taj) and to me, he's the most talented power forward whose name has been bandied about in these rumors. In fact, short of Beal, he's the most talented player overall being trade-baited.

I don't see him as a bench player who's getting paid too much. I see a starting caliber player as good as most playoff PFs - West, Nene, Millsap, Lee et al. who's locked up for the rest of his prime to "only" a 7 figure salary.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because a lot of guys have also said that they didn't care much for the depth of this draft and I still believe that even the mid-to-late 1st round guys like TJ Warren, Tyler Ennis, and Adrien Payne are going to be gamers.

I can definitely feel myself being swayed by the pessimism though. I guess I did/do overvalue Gibson because a) I like the way he balls and b) he played very well against us in the playoffs...
Bullets -> Wizards
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#432 » by verbal8 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:24 pm

I think Taj could be a good fit for Minnesota, but the rest of that offer isn't enough. I think any offer from Chicago without Butler is like any offer from the Warriors without Klay Thompson.

pancakes3 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Gibson is 30 years old and no. 16 and 19 are total crap shoots. I don't see how that's attractive at all, might be better off just letting Love walk next year, or hope for a better deal as the season approaches.

TGW wrote:

Well color me surprised. I really like Gibson and I thought that as Wiz fans, you would join me in my overestimation of his abilities. Today is literally Gibson's 29th birthday (Happy Birthday Taj) and to me, he's the most talented power forward whose name has been bandied about in these rumors. In fact, short of Beal, he's the most talented player overall being trade-baited.

I don't see him as a bench player who's getting paid too much. I see a starting caliber player as good as most playoff PFs - West, Nene, Millsap, Lee et al. who's locked up for the rest of his prime to "only" a 7 figure salary.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised because a lot of guys have also said that they didn't care much for the depth of this draft and I still believe that even the mid-to-late 1st round guys like TJ Warren, Tyler Ennis, and Adrien Payne are going to be gamers.

I can definitely feel myself being swayed by the pessimism though. I guess I did/do overvalue Gibson because a) I like the way he balls and b) he played very well against us in the playoffs...
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#433 » by fishercob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:45 pm

So far:

Love is still in Minnesota.

Denver got better. Dallas got better -- or is well-poised to do so. New Orleans got better. Houston is set to make a big addition via cap space THIS summer (and have no room next year).

Wiz will have some opportunity over the next 12-14 months. I hope and pray they can capitalize
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#434 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 pm

FYI:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/489537438818504704[/tweet]

Love is in an interesting situation. While he clearly wants to experience unrestricted free agency, he also wants to (or should want to) end the season somewhere that he'd want to -- or strongly consider -- re-signing, because of that 5th year.

Also, in all likelihood, anyone that signs Love this summer will be taking themselves out of the market for Durant the following year. It's a tough strategic question -- do you go after Love at the expense of Durant, or do pass on Love an potentially end up with neither?
— Steve Martin
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#435 » by willbcocks » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 pm

fishercob wrote:FYI:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/489537438818504704[/tweet]

Love is in an interesting situation. While he clearly wants to experience unrestricted free agency, he also wants to (or should want to) end the season somewhere that he'd want to -- or strongly consider -- re-signing, because of that 5th year.

Also, in all likelihood, anyone that signs Love this summer will be taking themselves out of the market for Durant the following year. It's a tough strategic question -- do you go after Love at the expense of Durant, or do pass on Love an potentially end up with neither?

A Love in the hand is worth two in the bush.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#436 » by fishercob » Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 am

David Aldridge wrote:Coach Randy Wittman made it clear after his team's six-game loss to the Hawks that he wants a stretch four going forward that would allow Washington to play small ball all season. The Wizards thrived with Pierce at the four and Porter at the three in their first-round rout of the Raptors, but Wittman didn't use that lineup during the regular season because he wanted to save Pierce's legs for the playoffs. Fans in D.C. dream of getting Kevin Durant to return home in 2016, but the Wizards shouldn't be so starry-eyed. They shouldn't wait for the summer of '16, when the new TV deal kicks in and almost every team in the league will have cap space, increasing the number of competitors for any player, including Durant. (Especially Durant.)

They should attack now, and think big. Washington has $20 million in potential trade bait available. Nene's contract expires in '16, and Martell Webster and DeJuan Blair have team options for 2016-17 -- in essence, making their contracts expirings for next season as well. So why not take a run at, say, Kevin Love? The Wizards have all their upcoming picks, including their '15 first-rounder; if they could find a third-team to act as intermediary (Hinkie!!!), a sign-and-trade extravaganza including Nene, Webster, Seraphin -- likely to leave, anyway -- and picks going in some combination to Cleveland and/or Philly could get things rolling.

Only Love knows his true level of frustration with the Cavs, but if he wants to leave, and makes that clear to Cleveland, Washington is a familiar and fond destination. His father Stan played for the Baltimore Bullets in the '70s, and Kevin Love's middle name, Wesley, is in honor of Wes Unseld, the Hall of Fame Bullets center and Stan Love's teammate. If Kevin Love is content in Cleveland or wants to go to Boston, a scenario on which the rumor mill has fixated, the Wizards could make other deals.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/d ... index.html
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#437 » by fishercob » Tue May 26, 2015 1:00 am

BTW, this thread was started exactly a year ago.
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#438 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 26, 2015 2:53 am

I believe Love will choose the Wizards.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#439 » by miller31time » Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 am

Rightly or wrongly, I don't trust Ernie Grunfeld to be able to land high-caliber talent without said talent forcing their way to Washington (in the way we believe Durant might).

That point aside, I'd still love to bring Kevin Love to this team. If we can get him without sacrificing our young pups, that would be fan-freaking-tastic.
RealGM

Post#440 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 26, 2015 3:34 am

Draymond Green is IMO a better player than Kevin Love. I would NOT pay Love more than I would Green if both were UFAs.

I want Love on a steal of a deal, with him having a one year player early opt out. No trade with Cleveland. He has a great year, then gets a max deal.

Return to Washington Wizards