ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft Thread - Part 1

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Draft Thread 2015: All in for Jahlil Okafor! or somebod 

Post#41 » by No-Man » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:37 am

I expect the Wizards to have a pick in the 20-25 range.
I expect the Wizards to probably target a perimeter player, given the contracts of Blair, Humphries, Nenê and Gortat, plus the possibility of targetting Durant as a PF in 2016.
Porter, Webster and Pierce will be in the team as SF in 2015.

On the other hand, only Rice Jr. is a backcourt player there, after Wall and Beal.
Satoransky signed with Barça and I expect him to stay there for a few years, at least 3.

I will target depth in the backcourt, there are some interesting options there, the ones I like the most in that range...

Marcus Paige, scoring PG with a great motor, can play a scoring role from the bench, quick and explosive, needs to get stronger to be able to finish at NBA level, good feel for the game, struggles in D due to his physical profile.
Isaac Hamilton, not sure he will be there, scoring combo, pretty good athlete with a nack for scoring the ball, can be a little bit of a knucklehead with bad shot selection, JordanCrawford-ish, tons of potential.
Norman Powell, defensive two, he will get ton of touches this year in UCLA, monster athlete with strength and hops, really explosive, similar to Tony Allen/Shannon Brown, defensive minded guy that can play some point.
Rasheed Sulaimon, should start at SF with Duke in a 3G lineup, long and intense, plays good d, underrated athlete, pretty good stamina and a terrific shooter, can handle and create, poor mans Klay Thompson
Ron Baker, another combo, team player mentality, good shooter with ability to finish, has underrated strength and got skills to be able to finish down low, high IQ player.
Aaron/Andrew Harrison, both are SGs to me, Aaron has a better shooting ability while Andrew got a more diverse offensive game, better ballhandler, more skilled creating off the bounce, Aaron could be a worse version of JR Smith, both will struggle at first in NBA.

If I'm the Wizards, I'd probably look at Powell/Sulaimon/Baker, guys that will probably come ready right away and provide depth and mature play, versatile guards that can play different roles and all of them be competitive, especially on D.

I feel like you already have most of the roles covered going forward and the only real option to get to contender status is Durant in 16', so looking for high potential players with a pick that low, might be a stretch, I will go safe with a guy that fits my needs at a cheap price going forward.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Good to get a well thought-out outsider's view. While I'm sure the Wiz would love to have Durant at either PF or SF, my guess is Durant will want to stay at the 3, and wherever he plays, he's almost certainly going to play the position he prefers - he's never been one to search out a lot of physical play. And remember, there's just an option (team) for the 3rd year for both Hump and Bump. The Wiz aren't tied to keeping them and might not be able to - depending on who they get in free agency.

They definitely need a 3rd guard, but in attracting Durant, it's probably more important to have a player to protect the rim on the Wiz roster. Gortat's a solid defender - but isn't dominant and has off-days. At PF, Nene's their only good defender, and he's going to be gone after next season. They need to add a stand-out player up front who is a plus defender.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#43 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:Good to get a well thought-out outsider's view. While I'm sure the Wiz would love to have Durant at either PF or SF, my guess is Durant will want to stay at the 3, and wherever he plays, he's almost certainly going to play the position he prefers - he's never been one to search out a lot of physical play. And remember, there's just an option (team) for the 3rd year for both Hump and Bump. The Wiz aren't tied to keeping them and might not be able to - depending on who they get in free agency.

They definitely need a 3rd guard, but in attracting Durant, it's probably more important to have a player to protect the rim on the Wiz roster. Gortat's a solid defender - but isn't dominant and has off-days. At PF, Nene's their only good defender, and he's going to be gone after next season. They need to add a stand-out player up front who is a plus defender.

Well that's basically my thinking is that Durant as the 3 (as well as Porter) and the departure of Nene leaves PF as the only position that doesn't have a long term starter. That's why PF would be my priority in this draft. Snag a guy in the 2nd half of the 1st round that can learn behind Nene/Humphries for a year and then ideally take over that starting spot.

I agree a combo guard would be the next highest priorty, but that could probably be easier filled with a vet, a backup G off the bench. Starting PF in terms of cap would be best filled with a rookie contract.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#44 » by No-Man » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Well I end up agreeing with you all, at least in my first Mock

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1346018

The picks and the rights by trade are included, so dont be surprise if some team is not there, there will be a trade why they dont have their picks.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#45 » by Sluggerface » Fri Oct 3, 2014 2:11 am

Wow, thought there'd be a lot more people high on Kaminsky given that he's projected to be in our range.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#46 » by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:37 am

Crowd favorite Delon Wright had a stinker of a game tonight. I know he's not a scorer but as a senior with NBA aspirations, even as a facilitator, you'd hope he leave more a stamp.

Also, I have a feeling Briante Weber out of VCU will be a CCJ guy. Senior, 6'2, and just put up a Lester-Hudson-esque stat line. 18 pts, 8 reb, 7 assists, 9 steals.

Finally, lol @ Rasheed Sulaiman. Just lol.
Bullets -> Wizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#47 » by Kanyewest » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:01 am

I saw Ernie at the Kansas/Kentucky game (on TV). At least he's not in Europe looking for the next Jan Vesely.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#48 » by miller31time » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:44 am

Kanyewest wrote:I saw Ernie at the Kansas/Kentucky game (on TV). At least he's not in Europe looking for the next Jan Vesely.

I'm still not entirely convinced he didn't just go to Europe for vacation without actually doing any scouting.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#49 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:17 pm

miller31time wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:I saw Ernie at the Kansas/Kentucky game (on TV). At least he's not in Europe looking for the next Jan Vesely.

I'm still not entirely convinced he didn't just go to Europe for vacation without actually doing any scouting.

I guess you'll never know how the season might go so he's doing his due diligence. I can't imagine any of the Kentucky first round prospects being available where the Wiz would pick (in the 20 range). Maybe the Harrison Twins, or Dakari Johnson, who knows.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Crowd favorite Delon Wright had a stinker of a game tonight. I know he's not a scorer but as a senior with NBA aspirations, even as a facilitator, you'd hope he leave more a stamp.

Also, I have a feeling Briante Weber out of VCU will be a CCJ guy. Senior, 6'2, and just put up a Lester-Hudson-esque stat line. 18 pts, 8 reb, 7 assists, 9 steals.

Finally, lol @ Rasheed Sulaiman. Just lol.

I just saw the highlights of Webber - he looks longer and quicker than Hudson - MUCH better defensive tools. If he continues to improve offensively, he could be a major sleeper.

I loved watching the 2 big games last night. Gotta admit Duke has 3 special freshman - not sure I've seen 3 freshmen on the same team that are so self-confident/cocky as them. Tyus Jones impressed me the most. He's clearly a natural PG, but he played off the ball often in deference to Cook - who played very well. Jones seems to have a Chris Paul type presence - already, you know you want him to have the ball when the game is on the line - that's a rare quality for a frosh. Winslow's a dynamic swingman - he took some bad shots, but he's in the Brandon Roy mold - gotta see if he plays a little less selfishly. And while I think Okafor is overrated, there's no getting around the fact that he's a great low post scorer. If he develops a jump shot to go with it, he'll be pretty much impossible to stop - but I think he'll be turnover prone.

Kentucky - just wow at the level of talent and depth on that team. Wow. Their size is absurd - to the point that they have guys who will likely be NBA PF's playing the 3 - Poythress and Lyles. Townes is a special all-around player - I think better than Okafor. The player that impressed me more than I thought he would was Marcus Lee. I think he's the best athlete of their bigs, and he looks bigger than last year. He's got a lot to improve on - particularly shooting and defensive rebounding, but if there's someone who could develop into the next Serge Ibaka, it's him, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#51 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:The player that impressed me more than I thought he would was Marcus Lee. I think he's the best athlete of their bigs, and he looks bigger than last year. He's got a lot to improve on - particularly shooting and defensive rebounding, but if there's someone who could develop into the next Serge Ibaka, it's him, imo.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I've been on the Lee bandwagon for a minute (And Im not a UK fan). I've said it before and ill say it again. Dakari Johnson is going to play in the league for 10 years. He doesnt have great length (7'1) and he is not explosive. But he is a legit 7 footer that is instinctual, establishes good position both offensively and defensively, and has a knack for offensive boards...
I really hope that either Lee or Brice Johnson (UNC) somehow fall to the 20's and we get our future 4...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The player that impressed me more than I thought he would was Marcus Lee. I think he's the best athlete of their bigs, and he looks bigger than last year. He's got a lot to improve on - particularly shooting and defensive rebounding, but if there's someone who could develop into the next Serge Ibaka, it's him, imo.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I've been on the Lee bandwagon for a minute (And Im not a UK fan). I've said it before and ill say it again. Dakari Johnson is going to play in the league for 10 years. He doesnt have great length (7'1) and he is not explosive. But he is a legit 7 footer that is instinctual, establishes good position both offensively and defensively, and has a knack for offensive boards...
I really hope that either Lee or Brice Johnson (UNC) somehow fall to the 20's and we get our future 4...

Well, right now NBAdraft.net has Lee at 26, and draftexpress.com has him coming out in 2016 and going 16 there, but he could easily shoot up to the top 10. Brice Johnson could easily be available for the Wiz depending on his measurements. He reminds me of former Heel John Henson, though I'm not sure he's as long as Henson - and given his lack of bulk, he almost has to measure long.

Btw, other bigs who have started out well this season - Myles Turner, Domantas Sabonis, and Bobby Portis. I really like Turner's chances of being a stud in the NBA. Lee and Turner would be a great combination.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#53 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:Brice Johnson could easily be available for the Wiz depending on his measurements. He reminds me of former Heel John Henson, though I'm not sure he's as long as Henson - and given his lack of bulk, he almost has to measure long.

I know they have similar frames and both went to UNC, but I believe Johnson, while not quite as long, is quicker/better 2nd jump and has a much higher ceiling offensively.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#54 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Got to watch Jahil Okafor the other night and my initial impression of him is a 7-0 version of Al Jefferson which is potentially a dominant offensive big. He's very very skilled and has a high offensive IQ. He's a rare throwback: An actual go-to low guy on the block. He can operate with his back to the basket or as a face up. He's got excellent foot work and is a skilled passer. Defensively he's much more raw on that end and lacks great lateral quickness but with his size and IQ I see no reason he can't be solid on that end with time & effort.

Okafor looks like a legit #1 pick to me. I'd take him over anyone in the heralded 14-15 class and outside of Anthony Davis, he's the best big I've seen in years and arguably the best C prospect since Dwight Howard.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#55 » by mhd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:Got to watch Jahil Okafor the other night and my initial impression of him is a 7-0 version of Al Jefferson which is potentially a dominant offensive big. He's very very skilled and has a high offensive IQ. He's a rare throwback: An actual go-to low guy on the block. He can operate with his back to the basket or as a face up. He's got excellent foot work and is a skilled passer. Defensively he's much more raw on that end and lacks great lateral quickness but with his size and IQ I see no reason he can't be solid on that end with time & effort.

Okafor looks like a legit #1 pick to me. I'd take him over anyone in the heralded 14-15 class and outside of Anthony Davis, he's the best big I've seen in years and arguably the best C prospect since Dwight Howard.

Better than Embiid?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:59 pm

mhd wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Got to watch Jahil Okafor the other night and my initial impression of him is a 7-0 version of Al Jefferson which is potentially a dominant offensive big. He's very very skilled and has a high offensive IQ. He's a rare throwback: An actual go-to low guy on the block. He can operate with his back to the basket or as a face up. He's got excellent foot work and is a skilled passer. Defensively he's much more raw on that end and lacks great lateral quickness but with his size and IQ I see no reason he can't be solid on that end with time & effort.

Better than Embiid?

I'd rather have either Embiid or Noah, but health is an issue - particularly Embiid's back. It's going to be hilarious if Philly gets the first pick and maybe the 2nd pick - since Towns could be right up there with Okafor as the best prospect. Philly's made it clear that all they're doing now is accumulating talent - regardless of position. How far do they take that concept, and how long do they plan to rebuild?

I'll keep an open mind with Okafor, but there are definitely questions that will be answered one way or the other. It's not a sure thing how he's going to develop. Right now, he can dominate simply by low post scoring against players 50 pounds less than him. I don't think he took one jump shot in the game last weekend, so how do we know he'll develop that 18 footer that he'll need to be a force in the NBA? Defensively, he doesn't have near the footwork he has on offense. Is that going to change? At this point, I wouldn't bet on him being a decent pick n roll defender. And rebounding is an issue that people haven't paid attention to. I saw 2 of his HS games - he was slow to react to rebounds. Then again, he wasn't in the kind of shape he is now. Overall, it's too soon - we got to see how he develops on everything other than low post offense.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#57 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:04 pm

mhd wrote:

Better than Embiid?

Yes...Okafor doesn't have the medical concerns. Embiid also might be a notch better athlete but Okafor has precocious basketball skills that Embiid was just developing at Kansas. Okafor just has an innate offensive feel. Okafor will definitely be the better offensive talent IMO. Defensively they are probably similar as both have a ways to go on that side of the ball before making a real impact there.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#58 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
mhd wrote:

Better than Embiid?

I'd rather have either Embiid or Noah, but health is an issue - particularly Embiid's back. It's going to be hilarious if Philly gets the first pick and maybe the 2nd pick - since Towns could be right up there with Okafor as the best prospect. Philly's made it clear that all they're doing now is accumulating talent - regardless of position. How far do they take that concept, and how long do they plan to rebuild?

I'll keep an open mind with Okafor, but there are definitely questions that will be answered one way or the other. It's not a sure thing how he's going to develop. Right now, he can dominate simply by low post scoring against players 50 pounds less than him. I don't think he took one jump shot in the game last weekend, so how do we know he'll develop that 18 footer that he'll need to be a force in the NBA? Defensively, he doesn't have near the footwork he has on offense. Is that going to change? At this point, I wouldn't bet on him being a decent pick n roll defender. And rebounding is an issue that people haven't paid attention to. I saw 2 of his HS games - he was slow to react to rebounds. Then again, he wasn't in the kind of shape he is now. Overall, it's too soon - we got to see how he develops on everything other than low post offense.

He's a legit C. An 18 ft is nice but it's not like he's playing PF anytime soon. As far as the defensive footwork, i agree. I didn't see him in HS but athletically he looks fine for that size. Not a freak athlete but not a stiff either. When your a legit C at 270 lbs... speed and quickness is generally overrated. Skill on a legit 7-0 footer is a deadly combination however. He's already skilled at passing out of double teams. He's the type of big you can run your offense through.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:34 pm

The 2015 draft could be special for quality and quantity. Having all those prospects on Kentucky makes a difference. And one of their busts from last season has quietly dramatically improved - Andrew Harrison. I was shocked to see how much he's improves his efficiency numbers, and his production has also improved quite a bit. At PG, he's huge at a legit 6'6 and 210. His 3 point shooting percentage is much better than Aaron's, so he can play either guard position. Right now listed as the 25th pick in draftexpress's mock. I was impressed with his defense in the game last weekend. At one point, I think he had 3 straight steals. Tyler Ulis is the opposite at about 5'9 155, and I expect he'll stay at KY, but he's becoming an amazing player - the ultimate pest on defense and a good offensive PG.

UCLA again has 3 guys to look at. Norman Powell has gone from being their mainly for defense to a 2 who does it all. Coach's son Bryce Alford has turned into a cocky PG who can alternate making the highlight reel pass and the 25 foot back-breaker. And they have the "classic undersized PF" who has good length in Kevin Looney. Ultimately, their best player might be Jordan Hamilton's brother, Isaac - who looks and plays a bit like Richard Hamilton.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#60 » by doclinkin » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:30 pm

Keeping my eye on another legacy kid out of curiosity. Gary Payton II at Oregon State. So far eyepopping rebounding numbers for a guard, plus efficient scoring, and as you would expect good defensive numbers.

Return to Washington Wizards