ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft Thread - Part 1

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: Draft Thread 2015: All in for Jahlil Okafor! or somebody... 

Post#201 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Mar 5, 2015 1:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:It's a good debate with Kaminsky vs Portis. Hopefully one will be there. I'd prefer Kaminsky, because you can't teach 7' (though Portis' length might offset it to an extent), and you can run an efficient offense through him due to his ability to score from anywhere, passing skills and low t/o rate. Also, while I think Portis can be a legit 3 point threat, I know Kaminsky can. Portis hasn't shot enough 3's to tell. Defensively, I think both will have issues - particularly in their rookie years - teams are going to test both of them. Neither will dominate the boards, but I think both will be adequate - particularly on the defensive boards.

I like both also. Kaminski with his size, shooting, IQ and passing looks like an ideal Nene replacement. Adding a stretch 4 out of this draft would be great, and I think either of these guys would be a good pick for us. Looney is another worth keeping an eye on, although not nearly as finished product and needs more development.

I wouldn't be opposed to a wing though either, Booker or Anderson for example. We need long-term Webster, Butler, Pierce replacements also.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#202 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:11 pm

If Ted and (shudder) Ernie believe that they have a puncher's chance at Duran't next summer, they should consider trading their 2016 pick to get another 2015 first rounder.

If somehow, by the grace of the Basketball Gods, the Wizards could unearth two promising youngsters in this year's draft, the roster KD would join would look far better than if we had just one and newly drafted "what if."

The ideal trade would be our '16 pick for quasi useful player who had a year left on his deal that a team wanted to dump so they could clear money this year, and a '15 pick. Keep in mind we have two TPE's of $4M plus as well.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#203 » by pcbothwel » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:04 pm

fishercob wrote:If Ted and (shudder) Ernie believe that they have a puncher's chance at Duran't next summer, they should consider trading their 2016 pick to get another 2015 first rounder.

If somehow, by the grace of the Basketball Gods, the Wizards could unearth two promising youngsters in this year's draft, the roster KD would join would look far better than if we had just one and newly drafted "what if."

The ideal trade would be our '16 pick for quasi useful player who had a year left on his deal that a team wanted to dump so they could clear money this year, and a '15 pick. Keep in mind we have two TPE's of $4M plus as well.

Now you're speaking my language. I clearly needs to be a pick 15-30 this year (Though I would say Top 25 minimum) if we take on salary and give out our 2016 1st. The only real trades that come to mind:

Dallas for Felton (4M) and #25
Blazers for Kamen(5M) and #26 - - Though his salary appears to high for our TPE

Now, if we get a 3rd team involved, then other opportunities exist.
If you take out our 2016 1st and attempt to get a high 2nd, then:

Wolves for Budinger (5M) and #34
Rockets for Papanikolaou (4.6M) and #31
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#204 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:25 pm

fishercob wrote:If Ted and (shudder) Ernie believe that they have a puncher's chance at Duran't next summer, they should consider trading their 2016 pick to get another 2015 first rounder.

That is an interesting Idea. Toronto maybe?
They have a lot of people they need to resign, they might be willing to dump vasquez, Patterson, or johnson, to up money, giving their 2015 for our 2016 would be smart for them as well, since that's more money they have open to resign players.

Boston maybe, Webster for wallance, with the bostons later 2015 for our 2016 pick.

The rockets might be interested in moving Papanikolaou or brewer to resign Beverly, Smith and maybe KJ.

The pelicans might want to more pondexter. But they don't have a pick, the rockets have it.

I'm almost sure the hornets would use their pick to move lance if they could..... he would be a decent back up for beal..... but that's a bag of cat's in and of itself.

The net's might be willing to do something of that nature to clear money too....
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#205 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:54 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Now you're speaking my language. I clearly needs to be a pick 15-30 this year (Though I would say Top 25 minimum) if we take on salary and give out our 2016 1st. The only real trades that come to mind:

Dallas for Felton (4M) and #25
Blazers for Kamen(5M) and #26 - - Though his salary appears to high for our TPE

Now, if we get a 3rd team involved, then other opportunities exist.
If you take out our 2016 1st and attempt to get a high 2nd, then:

Wolves for Budinger (5M) and #34
Rockets for Papanikolaou (4.6M) and #31

Felton's so bad. He's going to eat a roster spot (literally, perhaps) and provide little to no return. We'd need to put some heavy protections on the pick we send out or get something else back.

The other issue to consider is that teams can cut guys like Felton and stretch their cap hit over three years if they want. As always, finding the right deal is going to be easier said than done.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#206 » by AFM » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:02 pm

Felton can teach Porter how to bulk. Not completely useless.

popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#207 » by popper » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:19 am

Just watched Louisville's Montrezl Harrell and this kid is a player. Great enthusiasm, great energy, good ups, rebounding and blocking skills and very decent size for a PF. I'd be happy to use our pick on him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Re: Draft Thread 2015: All in for Jahlil Okafor! or somebody... 

Post#208 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:04 am

popper wrote:Just watched Louisville's Montrezl Harrell and this kid is a player. Great enthusiasm, great energy, good ups, rebounding and blocking skills and very decent size for a PF. I'd be happy to use our pick on him.

Harrell and Dez Wells have my eye because of the passion and athleticism each one plays with.

Those two can run with John Wall.

Wells has leadership ability. Harrell looks like a good two way player. He looks like an NCAA PF who can defend NBA SF.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#209 » by Ruzious » Sun Mar 8, 2015 12:05 pm

Harrell's regarded as a top 20 pick. He's only 6'7, but he's very long and strong. Offensively, he does not have a good jump shot, so he's not going to be a stretch 4. If the Wiz were going for that kind of player, I'd rather get Jordan Mickey later in the draft - he may or may not come out for this draft. Mickey's similar except he's a much better shot-blocker.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#210 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:04 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
popper wrote:Just watched Louisville's Montrezl Harrell and this kid is a player. Great enthusiasm, great energy, good ups, rebounding and blocking skills and very decent size for a PF. I'd be happy to use our pick on him.

Harrell and Dez Wells have my eye because of the passion and athleticism each one plays with.

Those two can run with John Wall.

Wells has leadership ability. Harrell looks like a good two way player. He looks like an NCAA PF who can defend NBA SF.

I like Wells in the 2nd round too, but I think we dealt our 2nd rounder. A Kaminsky and Wells draft would be solid in my book.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#211 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:08 pm

It's top 49 protected or extinguished.
If we keep sliding we get the second round pick and we never have to give it up.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#212 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Mon Mar 9, 2015 1:47 am

KD is not going to a team with promising rookies. He's going to a team with a established stars.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#213 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:38 am

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does Dez Wells look like he could become a better pro than Bradley Beal?
Bye bye Beal.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#214 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me, or does Dez Wells look like he could become a better pro than Bradley Beal?

I think your eyes are deceiving you CCJ :wink:

I like Dez a lot too, but keep in mind Wells is a year older than Brad.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#215 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me, or does Dez Wells look like he could become a better pro than Bradley Beal?

If we Trade beal for a big, like a Boogie, Howard, Embid/Noel, love. trade or Sign and trade. Dez Wells would not be a terrible pick in the second round if we buy a pick or get to keep ours, he is use to the general area, he has that put the team on my back mentality, he can shoot and he is just a good player. This draft is deceptively deep with 2 guards. the 20 and back spots have a lot of interesting guards there, a lot are younger players who have been injured some, and others are seniors because being seniors hurts draft stock cuz reasons.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#216 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:36 am

It's funny looking at draftexpress and seeing they have Wells going undrafted, but have Layman going at 34.

As far as the draft, It's VERY early in the process, and I'm hoping for Kaminsky to some how end up being there for us, but just looking at the DX projections showing him gone before our pick, as well as Harrell and Portis, I'm liking Justin Anderson more and more, despite his not playing well right now. I like what he brings skillwise and mentally, and think he'd be a great fit here. He's got some of that tough juice competitiveness, and would bring back some of what we lost with Ariza, and make for an excellent rotation with the versatile Porter. Let him learn from Pierce, and replace out Butler/Webster.

Then I'd like to see us end up with two later 2nd rounders to see if we can find a keeper at low risk... I'd like to get Dez Wells, and Kaleb Tarczewski from AZ. Wells to add needed depth behind Beal, Tarc to potentially replace Seraphin.

Nondrafted free agent I target for summer league and camp invite is Ryan Boatright.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#217 » by 80sballboy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:27 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

Dez is a lot more aggressive with a big body but come on. His handle isn't that great. He doesn't do anything great other than use his athleticism and is 6-4. As a Terps fan, love the way he's played this year and has carried the team. He'll need a good combine to move up in the draft but when you're talking first round, very few seniors go unless they are big men or point guards. Not 6-4 small forwards. BTW. NBADraft.net has Kaminsky going to the Wizards and they have just 4 seniors in the first round (Kaminsky, Norman Powell, Delon Wright, Jerian Grant). Powell and Wright are two-guards thought Wright can play point. They don't have Wells or Layman even in the second round.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#218 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:54 pm

80sballboy wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

Dez is a lot more aggressive with a big body but come on. His handle isn't that great. He doesn't do anything great other than use his athleticism and is 6-4. As a Terps fan, love the way he's played this year and has carried the team. He'll need a good combine to move up in the draft but when you're talking first round, very few seniors go unless they are big men or point guards. Not 6-4 small forwards. BTW. NBADraft.net has Kaminsky going to the Wizards and they have just 4 seniors in the first round (Kaminsky, Norman Powell, Delon Wright, Jerian Grant). Powell and Wright are two-guards thought Wright can play point. They don't have Wells or Layman even in the second round.

Powell's going to be a second rounder who will stick with somebody, imo. He didn't improve as a senior and just hasn't hit 3's with any consistency, but he's an excellent athlete who plays tough defense, and he just needs to work his arse off on improving his jump shot. Maybe he does get cut, but 5 years from now people will point to him as a 2nd rounder who's even better than Garrett Temple.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#219 » by gambitx777 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I like Dez a lot but he also has a bad habit of turning the ball over a good bit. That being said, I would not be upset if Wall used his pull to get his buddy drafted ! It would be better than having EG Blow the pick for Euro trash or cash. In fact just let Wall do all the drafting !
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#220 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 am

gambitx777 wrote:I like Dez a lot but he also has a bad habit of turning the ball over a good bit. That being said, I would not be upset if Wall used his pull to get his buddy drafted ! It would be better than having EG Blow the pick for Euro trash or cash. In fact just let Wall do all the drafting !

I agree with this. Wall should do the draft.

Return to Washington Wizards