nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Re: Draft Thread 2015: All in for Jahlil Okafor! or somebod 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Speaking of point guards, I've been meaning to ask our Ohio State expert, Nate, what he thinks of 18 year old freshman D'Angelo Russell. Not sure if he's a 1 or a 2, but he is averaging 7 assists per 40 minutes- as well as producing big-time scoring numbers - and doing real well in steals and rebounding for a 6'5 175 lb frosh. Gotta figure he's going to fill out some. He's already viewed as the 13th pick in draftexpress' mock.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen him play. I dumped the cable subscription about 2 years ago and no longer have an easy method of watching sports. I have NBA League Pass and that's about it. I can only watch NCAA games televised on network TV.

I told Verizon I wanted to dump Fios (because Netflix) and they basically gave it to me for free for two years. Paying out the wazoo now though, should probably give it the axe.

I use Netflex and NBA League pass. I also run Plex on my home computer so my Roku boxes can display on my TV's the videos I have on my computer. I use Sickbeard to automatically download various TV shows from Usenet. Basically, all my needs are met with an $8.99 for Netflex, 10.99 for my Usenet access, $40 a month for broadband internet, plus the occasional on-demand movie from Vudu.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#82 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Nivek wrote:I dumped Fios awhile back because I hated their menu. Went back to DirecTV, but canceled when I realized that no one was watching TV. Now we use Netflix, Amazon Prime, and I catch sports on network or online.

I'm very pleased with NBA League Pass. $149 for the entire year for all the games from 5 teams. I picked the Wizards, Golden State, San Antonio, Chicago and Miami. The beauty is that all the games are archived so I can watch them on delay if I miss them live.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#83 » by dobrojim » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:51 pm

(speaking of OSU) Just curious what happened to Aaron Craft. Is he in the NBA? I thought he would
make a good 3rd PG. He knows how to play D.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#84 » by daSwami » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:23 pm

dobrojim wrote:(speaking of OSU) Just curious what happened to Aaron Craft. Is he in the NBA? I thought he would
make a good 3rd PG. He knows how to play D.

He went undrafted in the 2014 draft. I was surprised by that. I figured some team would take a flyer on a ball-hawk like Craft. According to the googler, he's playing for Golden State's D-league team in Santa Cruz, CA.
:banghead:
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#85 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
hands11 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Chad Ford has us taking Bobby Portis 6'11'' power forward from Arkansas in his latest mock draft.

Sounds right for what they would be looking for.

I haven't even started to look at college games yet. To much NBA stuff to watch at the moment.

I'll have to start my list and check out the draft x profiles. Gotta get started at some point. I will check Bobby out.

But first, what the best draft strategy this year ?

Draft and stash ?
BPA ?
Solid utility player that does something you want.. rim protection ? S4 ? back up PG, Shooter ?
Project with upside ala a Perry Jones, Giannis Antetokounmpo ?

In the KD threads, I keep hammering home this point: it is crucial that the Wiz hit on this year and next year's first round picks. You're gonna have a super max Durant, a max Wall and Beal on the same team you're gonna need young, good, cheap talent.

I read those..

But the question remains. Which of the above ?

I have to think on this some more. So far, I'm leaning toward draft and stash but again, have to think about it a little more.

BPA is always a good way to go.

Wizards really could draft any position because I know people don't like to hear it but, whoever they draft, isn't likely to contribute more then off the bench next year. They need to draft thinking 3 years down the road.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#86 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 am

hands11 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
hands11 wrote:
Sounds right for what they would be looking for.

I haven't even started to look at college games yet. To much NBA stuff to watch at the moment.

I'll have to start my list and check out the draft x profiles. Gotta get started at some point. I will check Bobby out.

But first, what the best draft strategy this year ?

Draft and stash ?
BPA ?
Solid utility player that does something you want.. rim protection ? S4 ? back up PG, Shooter ?
Project with upside ala a Perry Jones, Giannis Antetokounmpo ?

In the KD threads, I keep hammering home this point: it is crucial that the Wiz hit on this year and next year's first round picks. You're gonna have a super max Durant, a max Wall and Beal on the same team you're gonna need young, good, cheap talent.

I read those..

But the question remains. Which of the above ?

I have to think on this some more. So far, I'm leaning toward draft and stash but again, have to think about it a little more.

BPA is always a good way to go.

Wizards really could draft any position because I know people don't like to hear it but, whoever they draft, isn't likely to contribute more then off the bench next year. They need to draft thinking 3 years down the road.

Unless the guy drops or it's someone like Jones (the Duke PG), I think it's a waste to spend a first round pick on a point guard. Either get him in the 2nd round or use the BAE to get someone in here. I'd actually bring Miller back on a one year deal and draft a point guard to groom.

Other than that, I think backup power forward or center. Long term, there's nothing there. Nene is gone after next season, Humphries might be here another two years but there's nothing there for the next few years. I'm intrigued about this Portis kid, seems like he could fit the mold of a stretch four but he seems to be in that 240 range. He could add another 5-10 pounds.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#87 » by fishercob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:34 pm

nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:I'd be more interested in drafting that guy -- someone that can make the roster, but who can be inactive many nights and develop in the D-League if needed. I'd bring back Miller on a one year deal, too. At some point we're going to need to replace Miller, and ideally it would be with someone who can play with either Wall or Beal -- someone like Cory Joseph, Sweet Lou, CJ McCollum, Patty Mills, Devin Harris etc. A true combo guard.

That probably makes more sense than my idea.

The bottom line is that I'd like to add a youngish back PG and a youngish backup center, both on rookie contracts, before the 2016 free agency period. Dumping Webster's salary by then would be a big help as well because it'll allow us to keep Humphries. That'll leave us with 2 PG's, 2 wings, and 3 bigs already onboard when we try and acquire Durant. With Durant, that'll be a competent 8-man rotation and then we use the vet-minimum exception to fill out our depth.

If Webster comes back and plays well, I wonder if we'd be able to trade him for a crappy 2016 contract plus a late 1st or high 2nd round pick. Sharpshooting swing men are in demand these days. That extra pick could be used for a PG, and we use our own pick for a Gorgui Dieng/Jeff Withey type of defensive backup big man.

This discussion sent me over the DraxtExpress and I came along a guy who really interests me named Delon Wright. Council of Draft Elders -- CCJ, Ruz, Sev, et al -- do you know anything about this kid and/or have an opinion?

A crafty Utah Ute with a funky jumper? Could he be the graduate TA to Professor Miller that could grow into a PhD for today's NBA?

While not exceptionally quick or explosive, Wright does a terrific job of getting to the rim and finishing, hitting an outstanding 66% of his shots around the basket in the half-court. He is extremely crafty with the way he creates offense on the perimeter, relying heavily on a variety of hesitation moves, fakes and fancy footwork to keep opponents off-balance. His combination of excellent size, long strides and smooth body control helps him get right into the teeth of the defense with regularity, and he finishes very creatively around the rim with soft touch and a knack for using the glass. Wright's slinky, herky-jerky style of play draws him plenty of fouls and helps him collect a good amount of points from the free throw line (converts 79%) every game.

What separates Wright from other non-shooting guards and makes him extremely unique is his ability to fill up the entire stat-sheet, as he's one of just 13 players in the DraftExpress database (spanning the last 30 years of college basketball) to average over 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 1 block per-40 minutes:

Wright doesn't have incredible length (he measured just a 6-6 ½ wingspan at the Nike Skills Academy this summer), an amazing frame or exceptional athleticism, but he does have a superb knack for being in the right place at the right time, which is a testament to his tremendous feel for the game. He has excellent size for his position and excellent lateral quickness, which allows him to put terrific pressure on the ball, draw charges on a regular basis, and defend either backcourt position equally well.

You won't find many prospects with a more extreme contrast between their strengths and weaknesses than Delon Wright, which is sure to make him one of the more controversial figures in this upcoming draft class. Many analytics models rate him as a sure-fire lottery pick, while traditional scouts seem to be split at the moment on whether or not he'll be able to carve out a role at the NBA level due to his lack of perimeter shooting and unconventional style of play. Making things even more complicated is the fact that Wright is a year old for his class, turning 23 in April. Nevertheless, this upcoming season should be very telling for Dorell's brother, as another strong year capped by a solid NCAA Tournament run would surely win over some of those decision makers that are still on the fence.

Obligatory highlight reel. Note the absence of jumpers.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGLzGiX1ec[/youtube]

Actually reminds me of Otto a little bit. If he can develop that jumper, he could be a really good NBA player.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#88 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 pm

I'll defer to better draft experts on Delon Wright. I will say that he doesn't strike me as the type of player I want backing up Wall. I'd prefer a Jameer Nelson/DJ Augustin/Isaiah Thomas type of player. A guy who can really shoot the ball and get into the lane but who's draft stock falls due to a lack of height.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#89 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm shocked - just shocked... that people don't hang onto my every word. Actually, it's a good thing - so they can easily forget my mistakes. I talked a lot about Delon Wright last year and mentioned him twice on the previous page:
Delon Wright is another swing guard with a higher BBIQ but questionable jump shot that could be there that I like a lot. Tall but very lanky/skinny.

I mentioned Delon Wright of Utah, but maybe the best reason to watch Utah is their freshman center, Jakob Poeltl. Most mocks have him going in 2016, but I think he's developing quicker than expected. That'll happen when you have a 34.7 PER. 7' 235 with a Great rebound rate and a great shot-blocking rate, shooting over 70%. He needs to work on his foul shooting and reduce the to's a bit, but he sounds like a young Gortat.

5 point bonus - What's the name of his brother who plays in the NBA?
Spoiler:
Dorell Wright
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#90 » by krii » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Is any of you guys familiar with Przemek Karnowski from Gonzaga? Is he good enough to be drafted in the 2nd round?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Prz ... wski-6124/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:53 pm

krii wrote:Is any of you guys familiar with Przemek Karnowski from Gonzaga? Is he good enough to be drafted in the 2nd round?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Prz ... wski-6124/

I think if he stays in school another year and improves his skills, he's got a good shot. The guy is huge and lumbering. With him, Sabonis, and Wiltjer, that's an NBA sized front court. Wiltjer's annoying - he's got some great skills - particularly 3 point shooting range - but he's Charmin soft - copywrite Kobe. He can score 30 points and still hurt his team. Sabonis is the one I like -just 18 but he acts like a veteran. Question on him - he's built a lot like Wiltjer unfortunately - will he get strong enough to battle PF's in the NBA?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#92 » by krii » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm

I was thinking about him if Zards will have 2nd round draft pick (I can`t remember if there is any 2nd round pick for 2015?).

He may play behind Gortat and develop. Marcin will have another Pole in the team, Karnowski can learn from him. It looks like a good shot to fill the backup center position.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#93 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:12 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:I'd be more interested in drafting that guy -- someone that can make the roster, but who can be inactive many nights and develop in the D-League if needed. I'd bring back Miller on a one year deal, too. At some point we're going to need to replace Miller, and ideally it would be with someone who can play with either Wall or Beal -- someone like Cory Joseph, Sweet Lou, CJ McCollum, Patty Mills, Devin Harris etc. A true combo guard.

That probably makes more sense than my idea.

The bottom line is that I'd like to add a youngish back PG and a youngish backup center, both on rookie contracts, before the 2016 free agency period. Dumping Webster's salary by then would be a big help as well because it'll allow us to keep Humphries. That'll leave us with 2 PG's, 2 wings, and 3 bigs already onboard when we try and acquire Durant. With Durant, that'll be a competent 8-man rotation and then we use the vet-minimum exception to fill out our depth.

If Webster comes back and plays well, I wonder if we'd be able to trade him for a crappy 2016 contract plus a late 1st or high 2nd round pick. Sharpshooting swing men are in demand these days. That extra pick could be used for a PG, and we use our own pick for a Gorgui Dieng/Jeff Withey type of defensive backup big man.

This discussion sent me over the DraxtExpress and I came along a guy who really interests me named Delon Wright. Council of Draft Elders -- CCJ, Ruz, Sev, et al -- do you know anything about this kid and/or have an opinion?

A crafty Utah Ute with a funky jumper? Could he be the graduate TA to Professor Miller that could grow into a PhD for today's NBA?

While not exceptionally quick or explosive, Wright does a terrific job of getting to the rim and finishing, hitting an outstanding 66% of his shots around the basket in the half-court. He is extremely crafty with the way he creates offense on the perimeter, relying heavily on a variety of hesitation moves, fakes and fancy footwork to keep opponents off-balance. His combination of excellent size, long strides and smooth body control helps him get right into the teeth of the defense with regularity, and he finishes very creatively around the rim with soft touch and a knack for using the glass. Wright's slinky, herky-jerky style of play draws him plenty of fouls and helps him collect a good amount of points from the free throw line (converts 79%) every game.

What separates Wright from other non-shooting guards and makes him extremely unique is his ability to fill up the entire stat-sheet, as he's one of just 13 players in the DraftExpress database (spanning the last 30 years of college basketball) to average over 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals and 1 block per-40 minutes:

Wright doesn't have incredible length (he measured just a 6-6 ½ wingspan at the Nike Skills Academy this summer), an amazing frame or exceptional athleticism, but he does have a superb knack for being in the right place at the right time, which is a testament to his tremendous feel for the game. He has excellent size for his position and excellent lateral quickness, which allows him to put terrific pressure on the ball, draw charges on a regular basis, and defend either backcourt position equally well.

You won't find many prospects with a more extreme contrast between their strengths and weaknesses than Delon Wright, which is sure to make him one of the more controversial figures in this upcoming draft class. Many analytics models rate him as a sure-fire lottery pick, while traditional scouts seem to be split at the moment on whether or not he'll be able to carve out a role at the NBA level due to his lack of perimeter shooting and unconventional style of play. Making things even more complicated is the fact that Wright is a year old for his class, turning 23 in April. Nevertheless, this upcoming season should be very telling for Dorell's brother, as another strong year capped by a solid NCAA Tournament run would surely win over some of those decision makers that are still on the fence.

Obligatory highlight reel. Note the absence of jumpers.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGLzGiX1ec[/youtube]

Actually reminds me of Otto a little bit. If he can develop that jumper, he could be a really good NBA player.

Fisher, I had not read a thing in this thread recently.

I was getting ready to post about a senior whose stats jump out. Yep, Dorell Wright's little brother. Utah Ute, like Andre Miller.

Delon Wright.

I was just looking at NCAA statistical leaders. Wright and UC Santa Barbara's Alan Williams have posted great numbers over time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#94 » by theboomking » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:11 am

Ruzious, where do you think Jakob Poeltl will go? I think he would be a great choiice and projects to be taken before our natural draft slot, but not out of range of a trade up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

theboomking wrote:Ruzious, where do you think Jakob Poeltl will go? I think he would be a great choiice and projects to be taken before our natural draft slot, but not out of range of a trade up.

I think you're right that he'd go before the Wiz pick. How high up really depends on how he develops and tests - and it's not a sure thing he comes out in 2015. But yeah, I'd have no problem using Rice and Sato as trade-up chips. Hopefully, Sato ups his value some more.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#96 » by Dat2U » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't like Wright's profile. He'll be 23 years old? Frankly he should be dominating. Broken jumper & not a great athlete? There's a reason why scouts question whether he can carve out a role. It's really hard for perimeter players with a broken jumper and shaky athleticism to find their niche offensively.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#97 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Dat2U wrote:I don't like Wright's profile. He'll be 23 years old? Frankly he should be dominating. Broken jumper & not a great athlete? There's a reason why scouts question whether he can carve out a role. It's really hard for perimeter players with a broken jumper and shaky athleticism to find their niche offensively.

Valid concerns but I would not be so quick to dismiss. I think part of the reason he doesn't shoot much from the perimeter is that he's so effective getting to the cup. We made a mistake passing on Kawhi when the main knock on him was his shooting. I don't know that Wright's shot is broken so much as it is undeveloped. Oh, and JOhn had a broken jumper at one point. MKG's looked broken beyond hope of repair and he has improved greatly.

Andre Miller never had a jumper and hasn't been athletic by NBA standards in 15 years and he's still extremely effective. He's not the norm for sure, but if this kid is a basketball player who makes winnign plays that show up all over the stat sheet, he bears further examination and interest IMO.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Basically, I see Wright as the second coming of Shawn Livingston, at this point. He does need to improve his jumper to move ahead of that. His age hurts, but remember, he was the same dominant player last year - at age 21. These negatives are the reasons why he could be available when the Wiz pick.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#99 » by theboomking » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:23 am

Do you guys think Kaminsky is an NBA 4 or 5? I would be in favor of buying a pick or trading for a pick and trading up into a range where we could grab WCS, Poeltl, or Kaminsky. We have youth at the 1, 2 and 3, and could use some young prospects at the 4 or 5. We can get a good combo guard on the free market.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#100 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 am

The Wizards should draft a quick PG/SG and a shot blocking PF/C with range on his shot.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards