ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft Thread - Part 1

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Re: 2015 Draft Thread - Part 1 

Post#2281 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:54 pm

barelyawake wrote: Btw, had we not signed Gortat and instead signed or traded for a star big, we would have been in the finals.

Tell that to Lebron James.

There are only a handful of "star" bigs in the league and most teams aren't trading them or letting them walk as free agents. So while you might want the Zards to sign or trade for a "star" big, it's easier said than done.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#2282 » by barelyawake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:11 pm

DCZards wrote:
barelyawake wrote: Btw, had we not signed Gortat and instead signed or traded for a star big, we would have been in the finals.

There are only a handful of "star" bigs in the league and most teams aren't trading them or letting them walk as free agents. So while you might want the Zards to sign or trade for a "star" big, it's easier said than done.

A LeBron James without Love or Irving. A beatable team.

Well, one was a free agent last year and traded teams (two if you count LeBron). One is a free agent this year and trading teams. And another is more than likely demanding a trade.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#2283 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:59 pm

barelyawake wrote:
DCZards wrote:

A LeBron James without Love or Irving. A beatable team.

Well, one was a free agent last year and traded teams (two if you count LeBron). One is a free agent this year and trading teams. And another is more than likely demanding a trade.

So that's a grand total of four (if you count Lebron) in two years. Kinda proves my point doesn't it?

I'd rather have the solid Gortat at what is now a good salary (and a shot at Durant and other free agents in 2016) than wishin' and hopin' that one of these rare star bigs drops into the Zards lap.

btw, I'm not saying that the Zards shouldn't go after one of these star bigs. I just don't think it's a priority given the nature of today's NBA game.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#2284 » by barelyawake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:34 pm

And I think that just because one team, in my entire lifetime watching the NBA, won a championship series playing small ball (and that happened to be last year), and every other team in that history had a star big, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority for us. It is fools gold for any team to base its future on replictating what Golden State did. Because most likely it will never happen again in our lifetime.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#2285 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:50 pm

barelyawake wrote:And I think that just because one team, in my entire lifetime watching the NBA, won a championship series playing small ball (and that happened to be last year), and every other team in that history had a star big, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority for us. It is fools gold for any team to base its future on replictating what Golden State did. Because most likely it will never happen again in our lifetime.

You're making the assumption this is solely about GS and their success. It's not. It's something that's been evolving. Look at the Zards success during the playoffs when they sat Nene and went with Gortat and four wing players.

The moves that the Zards have made thus far this offseason, drafting Oubre over Portis and trading for Dudley, are a reflection of the importance of spreading the floor (rather than clogging the middle with two bigs) and the impact of the 3 ball.

This may or may not be a successful formula for every team going into the future, but it's wrong to think this trend is solely about GS winning the 2015 championship.

I would love for the Zards to have an Aldridge or a Cousins or a Marc Gasol. I just don't think it's necessary to have a top 5 or 6 big to win a championship in today's NBA.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#2286 » by barelyawake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:58 pm

DCZards wrote:
barelyawake wrote:And I think that just because one team, in my entire lifetime watching the NBA, won a championship series playing small ball (and that happened to be last year), and every other team in that history had a star big, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a priority for us. It is fools gold for any team to base its future on replictating what Golden State did. Because most likely it will never happen again in our lifetime.

You're making the assumption this is solely about GS and their success. It's not. It's something that's been evolving. Look at the Zards success during the playoffs when they sat Nene and went with Gortat and four wing players. I think the moves that the Zards have made thus far this offseason, drafting Oubre over Portis and signing Dudley, are a reflection of the need to spread the floor and the impact of the 3 ball.

This may or may not be a successful formula for every team going into the future, but it's wrong to think this trend is solely about GS winning the 2015 championship.

That's because Nene is old. And I agree we need to spread the floor. We also need a post option when shots aren't falling outside. PS I like the moves management is making. I think they might use that TPE from Nene (if we get it) and make a splash.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#2287 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:00 pm

I'm not seeing the road where the Wizards would have picked up a star big man had they not traded for Gortat unless the Wizards drafted better.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#2288 » by barelyawake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:15 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I'm not seeing the road where the Wizards would have picked up a star big man had they not traded for Gortat unless the Wizards drafted better.

Aldridge or Love could both have been signed if we didn't trade for or resign Gortat. Or if we had instead traded for Chandler (who expired). And there were other avenues as well. Bosh as well if you consider him a star still.

But, all of that is done. The discussion now is the future. And actually the discussion started by me saying Porter at the four and Gortat at the five isn't enough to win a championship.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#2289 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:20 pm

barelyawake wrote:Aldridge or Love could both have been signed if we didn't trade for or resign Gortat. Or if we had instead traded for Chandler (who expired). And there were other avenues as well. Bosh as well if you consider him a star still.

But, all of that is done. The discussion now is the future. And actually the discussion started by me saying Porter at the four and Gortat at the five isn't enough to win a championship.

The Wizards may have gotten a meeting with Aldridge, although we would still need to have a center of consequence given that Aldridge does not want to play center at all. Love in retrospect seemed like he was going to re-sign with Cleveland no matter what.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#2290 » by barelyawake » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:31 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
barelyawake wrote:Aldridge or Love could both have been signed if we didn't trade for or resign Gortat. Or if we had instead traded for Chandler (who expired). And there were other avenues as well. Bosh as well if you consider him a star still.

The Wizards may have gotten a meeting with Aldridge, although we would still need to have a center of consequence given that Aldridge does not want to play center at all. Love in retrospect seemed like he was going to re-sign with Cleveland no matter what.

Well, if we are revisiting the past, I wanted Gobert, Drummond and Noel in each of those drafts (not to mention Marc Gasol and Splitter). So, this has been my priority all along. But again, that's the past. Now, I hope we are putting effort into not overrating what we have and willing to risk our pieces for a star big (rather than imagining that Porter will somehow fill out and take over the star big role). And that's the point.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#2291 » by AFM » Sun Jul 5, 2015 9:04 pm

This dude is gonna be so nasty
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GEyzbxeOgo[/youtube]
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302