ImageImageImageImageImage

Gene Wang: Thabo and Greg Monroe at Verizon Center

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Re: Gene Wang: Thabo and Greg Monroe at Verizon Center 

Post#41 » by mhd » Thu Jul 3, 2014 7:26 pm

Per the trade board, reports are that Thabo signs with Atlanta, at 3 years, 12 million.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#42 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:09 pm

fishercob wrote:Given Ernie's history of overpaying mediocre guys and how the market is behaving right now, I'd very worried we do something insane like give Thabo 3/$13M.

Leave the insanity to the Hawks at 3/$12M.
I'll take it, as I didn't see why we were pursuing him (if Ariza leaves sure, but I'd be just as inclined to save the money and play Webster/Porter) and it ties up Atlanta's cap (ATL should stay on the come up next year- Thabo won't help much).
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#43 » by miller31time » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:14 pm

A near MLE-sized deal for Thabo Freaking Sefolosha? Can't believe Ernie wasn't the one to hand that one out.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#44 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:33 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
fishercob wrote:Given Ernie's history of overpaying mediocre guys and how the market is behaving right now, I'd very worried we do something insane like give Thabo 3/$13M.

Leave the insanity to the Hawks at 3/$12M.
I'll take it, as I didn't see why we were pursuing him (if Ariza leaves sure, but I'd be just as inclined to save the money and play Webster/Porter) and it ties up Atlanta's cap (ATL should stay on the come up next year- Thabo won't help much).

I don't know that we were "pursuing him," as much as we were "interested." I don't think there have been any reports that we actually offered him a contract.

By the way, not a bad effort by the old Fish man. Might need to go on Price is RIght. :D
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#45 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:45 pm

miller31time wrote:A near MLE-sized deal for Thabo Freaking Sefolosha? Can't believe Ernie wasn't the one to hand that one out.

The Hawks have been doing well in Free Agency recently, but this one looks questionable. Especially for a team that isn't "one piece away".
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,305

Post#46 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:48 pm

EG "pursuing" Thabo was a message to Ariza's agent. EG was saying two things. First, Ariza isn't irreplaceable. Other guys are out there. And second, we might not be willing to leave our offer out on the table indefinitely and allow Ariza to patiently sift through all the options. If Ariza wants our offer (which I'm assuming is somewhere in the $8M per year range) he better sign soon.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#47 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:56 pm

nate33 wrote:EG "pursuing" Thabo was a message to Ariza's agent. EG was saying two things. First, Ariza isn't irreplaceable. Other guys are out there. And second, we might not be willing to leave our offer out on the table indefinitely and allow Ariza to patiently sift through all the options. If Ariza wants our offer (which I'm assuming is somewhere in the $8M per year range) he better sign soon.

Could be. And it could also have been honest tire-kicking given the possibility Ariza leaves. This all started with a tweet from a post reporter who doesn't cover the Wizards beat. Someone likely saw Thabo and Monroe (maybe Wang himself) and tweeted it. It feels very different to me than "Sources say the Wizards have expressed interest in Thabo Sefolosha and are meeting with him as we speak." But what do I know.

My guess is that they never even talked money much and that the Wiz said "we're interested but not ready yet," and ATL said "here's twelve million dollars!"

By the way, while I would have hated that deal for us, I actually don't hate it for Atlanta. They don't have Bradley Beal and they needed a wing defender. They should be pretty good again this year if they can keep Horford on the floor. They still have $11M in cap space. That could be Luol Deng money.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#48 » by TGW » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:07 pm

Man we dodged a bullet.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#49 » by BruceO » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:13 pm

here's to hoping he sucks
thricethefun
Junior
And1: 46

Post#50 » by thricethefun » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:19 pm

Sefolosha sucks I'm glad we weren't the one to give him this.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#51 » by Hidden Eye » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:12 pm

I'd take Thabo over back issues Websters anyday who gets roasted on Defense

Return to Washington Wizards