Per Michael Lee: Wiz contact Caron

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Per Michael Lee: Wiz contact Caron 

Post#1 » by mhd » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:08 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... 4&hpid=z12

WHAT is it with EG and Caron??? He tried to trade Ariza for Caron, and luckily, the Clips were stupid enough to say no.

HOWEVER, the article says that the Wiz have contacted Morrow, Granger, Deng, and Marvin Williams.

YES to Marvin Williams (and to a lesser extent, Morrow), but no to everyone else.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Re: Per Michael Lee: Wiz contact Caron 

Post#2 » by daSwami » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:17 pm

Marvin Williams would probably come cheapest. Not a fan, though. Deng is the only guy who could step in as an immediate starter. (does Granger still have game? I don't even know.) Morrow is a PG isn't he?
:banghead:
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#3 » by hands11 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:20 pm

mhd wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/07/03/wizards-reach-out-to-caron-butler-thabo-sefolosha-commits-to-atlanta/?tid=hpModule_a4df998e-86a7-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394&hpid=z12

WHAT is it with EG and Caron??? He tried to trade Ariza for Caron, and luckily, the Clips were stupid enough to say no.

HOWEVER, the article says that the Wiz have contacted Morrow, Granger, Deng, and Marvin Williams.

YES to Marvin Williams (and to a lesser extent, Morrow), but no to everyone else.

I expected that and posted about it recently. If no TA, we could see The Straw return. Hell, even with TA he could be the back up SG.

Never liked that they traded him in the rebuild. He could have stuck around. He wasn't one of the problems. Maybe a little to injured but CB was a solid core piece in his day.

They could get CB to return on the cheap. He loved it here. I think he would see that as a fitting end to his career. Back to the playoffs with the team he was a core pick of. Maybe even vet min.

And CB might have a good KD Framly connection.

Swami. I was wondering about Granger as well. Worth a look if he is cheap.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#4 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:27 pm

Marvin Williams, CDR and Brandon Rush all deserve a look. Williams can be utilized as a stretch 4 and perhaps one of CDR or Rush could excel in getting open looks. I'm willing to gamble on Porter being worth a damn and Wall and Beal making enough strides offsetting the loss of Ariza.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#5 » by hands11 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:33 pm

The Wizards seem to know that Trevor Ariza has a big market for their services and have been in touch with several alternative wing players since free agency began, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. The notable names: Caron Butler, P.J. Tucker, Marvin Williams, Luol Deng, Anthony Morrow and Danny Granger.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/7/3/ ... ron-butler

Nice to see PJ Tucker on the list

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3033/pj-tucker

Should be talking to PP and Vince as well.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#6 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:33 pm

Williams as a PF is fine with me

Brandon Rush is a wing I'd look at and see if he's back to form. Still only 28.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#7 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:38 pm

mhd wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/07/03/wizards-reach-out-to-caron-butler-thabo-sefolosha-commits-to-atlanta/?tid=hpModule_a4df998e-86a7-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394&hpid=z12

The bottom line is that EG seems to be doing his due diligence. He wants Ariza, but he knows we need someone if Ariza bolts, since Webster is hurt. It's also a sign that EG isn't willing to break the bank on Ariza. Obviously, there's a price that is too high and if Ariza costs that much, it's time for Plan B.

This is what I was saying earlier after the Gortat signing. Spending a fortune on Gortat was predictable because of our lack of alternatives. The same situation doesn't apply to Ariza. EG isn't going to pay him $10+ a year. He'll let him walk before that.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#8 » by truwizfan4evr » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:44 pm

daSwami wrote:Marvin Williams would probably come cheapest. Not a fan, though. Deng is the only guy who could step in as an immediate starter. (does Granger still have game? I don't even know.) Morrow is a PG isn't he?

Marrow is a sg.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#9 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:48 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Williams as a PF is fine with me

Brandon Rush is a wing I'd look at and see if he's back to form. Still only 28.

yeah his health is the issue, not his ability.
I am interested to see if boozer get's the AC used on him. I can see the wiz making a bid for him if we are able at the time.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#10 » by TGW » Thu Jul 3, 2014 11:58 pm

I would kick the tires on Granger on a vet deal and tell him to backup Porter. I wouldn't put real money into a possible third small forward when it's all said and done.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 4, 2014 12:14 am

hands11 wrote:

They could get CB to return on the cheap. He loved it here. I think he would see that as a fitting end to his career. Back to the playoffs with the team he was a core pick of. Maybe even vet min.

And CB might have a good KD Framly connection.

Swami. I was wondering about Granger as well. Worth a look if he is cheap.

CB works out on the courts at lifetime in centerville in off season- I almost asked him to join my framly but... I don't want him on wiz unless it's the min. CB another vet well past his prime- Our bench looks like a great 2008 team!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#12 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 12:15 am

TGW wrote:I would kick the tires on Granger on a vet deal and tell him to backup Porter. I wouldn't put real money into a possible third small forward when it's all said and done.

I agree with you on that, If Ariza goes, bringing in Granger on a vet deal would be a nice back up plan if porter or rice fail to handle the starting spot.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#13 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:03 am

If we lose Ariza, we are probably taking a step down. There's not many players in the league the defend the 3, 2 and 1 like he does. While Wall may take pressure off of him offensively, he takes pressure off of him and Beal defensively when there's tough two or one they cant handle. Caron Butler is a backup at this stage of his career and while I like Otto's potential, you're asking an awful lot for a kid to go from 2 mins a game to 35 (at least until Webster comes back). I'm guessing Deng is out of our price range but I'd like a guy who can defend nearly as good as TA and not embarrass himself offensively (like Thabo).
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#14 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:05 am

Add me to the list supporting signing Granger for cheap. He shot over 35% from 3 last season and is still a decent offensive option. We'd definitely lose a step on defense but I think our offense would be just fine.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#15 » by dangermouse » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:33 am

TGW wrote:I would kick the tires on Granger on a vet deal and tell him to backup Porter. I wouldn't put real money into a possible third small forward when it's all said and done.

I'd do this.

Granger used to carry the Pacers and became their leader when Reggie left, and everyone used to think "damn he would be a great second option on another team", Pacers got their first option but he plays the same position. Sure he has been out and injured a while, but I dont ever remember his game requiring an extraordinary amount of athleticism. Unless the injury was really bad, like Arenas knee bad.

Lock him in for a couple of years real cheap (until Nene expires). Then if he comes good and plays anywhere near as good as he was, he becomes an attractive piece in a Nene trade. He'll only want a short contract to show he has something left and hopefully get a slightly bigger payday in the future.

I also think Porter is better than a lot of peeps on here like to think, and I can't wait to see more of him in SL (if hes there)
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#16 » by dangermouse » Fri Jul 4, 2014 1:45 am

dangermouse wrote:

I'd do this.

Granger used to carry the Pacers and became their leader when Reggie left, and everyone used to think "damn he would be a great second option on another team", Pacers got their first option but he plays the same position. Sure he has been out and injured a while, but I dont ever remember his game requiring an extraordinary amount of athleticism. Unless the injury was really bad, like Arenas knee bad.

Lock him in for a couple of years real cheap (until Nene expires). Then if he comes good and plays anywhere near as good as he was, he becomes an attractive piece in a Nene trade. He'll only want a short contract to show he has something left and hopefully get a slightly bigger payday in the future.

I also think Porter is better than a lot of peeps on here like to think, and I can't wait to see more of him in SL (if hes there)

Oh, and i'd also take a look at Morrow. Good backup for Beal. Acquire him and look for a Webster trade.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#17 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:09 am

PJ Tucker sounds the best available. 39% from 3pt. 6-6, 225. Good defender. Seems like a late bloomer at 29.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3033/pj-tucker
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#18 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:21 am

meh at all of those
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#19 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:33 am

80sballboy wrote:PJ Tucker sounds the best available. 39% from 3pt. 6-6, 225. Good defender. Seems like a late bloomer at 29.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3033/pj-tucker

I'd a hundred times rather have PJ Tucker than Granger, Deng, Caron or any of the retreads I'm having a hard time believing Ernie wants to bring in. How old does he want this team to be? Does he want to never add any future-oriented talent whatsoever after Porter?

We are not a young team, despite what people seem to think. We are one of the older teams in the league. The Spurs -- a veteran team if there ever was one -- has 4 guys 30 or older. Last season we had 5. Now we're trying to add someone like Caron or Granger.

We have two young guards that we like, and one young 3 that we hope we'll like. That's it for young players for whom there is any hope at all. 3 guys, one of them by no means sure to be good. That's not having a young core to build around. That's not bringing veteran role players to balance a young roster.

That's bandaids on bandaids on bandaids. We got lucky w/ Miller and Gooden at the end of last season. But this is not how you build a team.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#20 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:36 am

Dark Faze wrote:meh at all of those

Sorry, LeBron James and Melo aren't coming here. We aren't getting a superstar or even a wing like Batum.

Return to Washington Wizards