ImageImageImageImageImage

wizards show interest-in-kris-humphries

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Re: wizards show interest-in-kris-humphries 

Post#21 » by daSwami » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:13 pm

nate33 wrote:Only if it's a 2-year deal. I absolutely do not want a long-term MLE contract going out to a backup - certainly not if we fail in resigning Ariza. Without Ariza, this team is in a holding pattern. We're just not good enough to be looking for final pieces like Kris Humphries. We still need to add one or two core players and we're going to need that cap room to make it happen.

How many "core players" are out there still (that we have a reasonable shot at acquiring)? I think if Ariza signs elsewhere, we're left with scraps to pick from. I like that Ernie seems to be playing hardball with TA. I have a feeling we're going to end up having to match an offer sheet for him.
:banghead:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#22 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 pm

daSwami wrote:
nate33 wrote:Only if it's a 2-year deal. I absolutely do not want a long-term MLE contract going out to a backup - certainly not if we fail in resigning Ariza. Without Ariza, this team is in a holding pattern. We're just not good enough to be looking for final pieces like Kris Humphries. We still need to add one or two core players and we're going to need that cap room to make it happen.

How many "core players" are out there still (that we have a reasonable shot at acquiring)? I think if Ariza signs elsewhere, we're left with scraps to pick from. I like that Ernie seems to be playing hardball with TA. I have a feeling we're going to end up having to match an offer sheet for him.

There are no core players we can add this offseason because you don't get a core player with the MLE.

But that doesn't mean you go blow your MLE on a 4-year contract for a backup. It means you be patient. Sign a Caron Butler or Shawn Marion type for one year (or perhaps 2) and then reload in 2015 (or 2016).
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#23 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 pm

If you're into grasping at straws, perhaps the silver lining is that the interest in Humphries is an indication that they might be willing to trade Nene, sliding Kris into the starters' slot in the short term while they try to acquire a guy like Love, etc.?
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose

Return to Washington Wizards