Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXVIII 

Post#301 » by montestewart » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:24 pm

deneem4 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Josh smith and Greg Monroe would give us the best froncout in the league…like him or not he still a defensive power house at pf…

I've always liked Smith's defense, but last year it seemed to suffer. Hard to say how much of that is his role in Detroit, but he will turn 29 early next season, and much of his defensive effectiveness seems to rest on athleticism. Wouldn't you be worried about being saddled with a large contract for a player whose key positive attribute could go into or already be in rapid decline?

Hmm like nene?? Biggest attribute was his footwork from his soccer background.

Smith has a soccer background?

I never thought of Nene relying on athleticism the way Smith does.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,252

Post#302 » by deneem4 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:34 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
verbal8 wrote:It couldn't happen until december, but could gortat be dealt for Monroe and josh smith. I hate josh smith at Sf, but it just might work at pf with a good offensive center.

It seems strange for Detroit fitwise, but they could do a lot worse consolidating those two.

Josh smith and Greg Monroe would give us the best froncout in the league...like him or not he still a defensive power house at pf...

If only we had an example of the two of them playing together...wait...

We seen Dwight play with kobe and barely make the playoffs. So that means 1 of them is bad??
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#303 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 am

deneem4 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
Josh smith and Greg Monroe would give us the best froncout in the league...like him or not he still a defensive power house at pf...

We seen Dwight play with kobe and barely make the playoffs. So that means 1 of them is bad??

No, it means they don't play well together. So why replicate the exact thing that's already not working?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#304 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:12 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

No, it means they don't play well together. So why replicate the exact thing that's already not working?

Actually, that might not be what it means. Kobe has managed to hit the exacta of having one of the better careers in NBA history while simultaneously being supremely overrated. His production was showing the type of age-related decline that's very normal for a player of his age and mileage. Meanwhile, Dwight Howard wasn't the same player after his back injury. He was still good in LA, but not close to being the MVP-caliber player he'd been a few seasons earlier. Last season, he was better than he was in LA, but still not near that MVP-caliber level.

In Los Angeles, neither guy played as well as they'd previously played. It's possible they became less productive because they don't play well together, but I think it's more likely that Kobe was/is aging and Howard hadn't/hasn't regained his pre-injury form. It's hard to imagine a reason why not playing well with Kobe would cause Howard to get fewer offensive and defensive rebounds, for example.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#305 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm

^ Oh, I agree on Kobe/Dwight. I probably should have specified that the main point of my response is that Monroe/Smith is a different story - they aren't a good fit together in Detroit and wouldn't be a good fit together here.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#306 » by Nivek » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Oh, I agree on Kobe/Dwight. I probably should have specified that the main point of my response is that Monroe/Smith is a different story - they aren't a good fit together in Detroit and wouldn't be a good fit together here.

I sorta agree, but...Detroit played Smith at SF, which was just stupid. There was zero reason to think he could be a good SF, and good reasons why he wouldn't be. It was a terrible decision. I thought signing Smith last offseason wasn't a bad move, IF they'd used Smith, Monroe and Drummond as a three-big rotation. Drummond as the pure C, Smith as the pure PF and Monroe as the PF/C.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#307 » by montestewart » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Nivek wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:^ Oh, I agree on Kobe/Dwight. I probably should have specified that the main point of my response is that Monroe/Smith is a different story - they aren't a good fit together in Detroit and wouldn't be a good fit together here.

I sorta agree, but...Detroit played Smith at SF, which was just stupid. There was zero reason to think he could be a good SF, and good reasons why he wouldn't be. It was a terrible decision. I thought signing Smith last offseason wasn't a bad move, IF they'd used Smith, Monroe and Drummond as a three-big rotation. Drummond as the pure C, Smith as the pure PF and Monroe as the PF/C.

Smith as part of big rotation was what many thought/hoped for, with Detroit perhaps eventually moving Monroe in a roster balance trade. Maybe Detroit and Monroe overestimated his worth around the league, or maybe Dumars really thought it would work.

Regardless of the position he plays, I'd be leery about Wizards acquiring Smith at this point in his career, because of his play and his contract.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#308 » by Nivek » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:32 pm

montestewart wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Smith as part of big rotation was what many thought/hoped for, with Detroit perhaps eventually moving Monroe in a roster balance trade. Maybe Detroit and Monroe overestimated his worth around the league, or maybe Dumars really thought it would work.

Regardless of the position he plays, I'd be leery about Wizards acquiring Smith at this point in his career, because of his play and his contract.

I haven't read the whole thread, so if folks are talking about acquiring Smith, I'd be generally against that move for the same reasons you have, plus the iffy attitude.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#309 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Going into Sept and a record low post rate in the trade thread.

Interesting.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#310 » by verbal8 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 pm

hands11 wrote:Going into Sept and a record low post rate in the trade thread.

Interesting.

While I think this was a decent off-season, the team has been left with few tradeable assets. Also the biggest name in the trade market has been moved.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#311 » by TGW » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:36 pm

While I think this was a decent off-season, the team has been left with few tradeable assets. Also the biggest name in the trade market has been moved.

I would trade Nene and Webster for a ham sandwich right about now but who would actually take them?

Also, I'm not sure why exactly the haven't added a 3rd guard with some quickness. Maybe Andre Miller was a good backup in 2005. In 2015, not so much.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#312 » by Nivek » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:16 pm

TGW wrote:

I would trade Nene and Webster for a ham sandwich right about now but who would actually take them?

Also, I'm not sure why exactly the haven't added a 3rd guard with some quickness. Maybe Andre Miller was a good backup in 2005. In 2015, not so much.

In 2005, Miller was a good starter. Last season, he was still an adequate backup, despite his defensive deficiencies. The Wizards ought to be able to get by with him as the backup PG for this season. It's unlikely he's going to be Eric Maynor bad. Even if he declines some more, he should still be at least acceptable for 12-14 minutes per game.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#313 » by TGW » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:28 pm

Nivek wrote:
TGW wrote:

In 2005, Miller was a good starter. Last season, he was still an adequate backup, despite his defensive deficiencies. The Wizards ought to be able to get by with him as the backup PG for this season. It's unlikely he's going to be Eric Maynor bad. Even if he declines some more, he should still be at least acceptable for 12-14 minutes per game.

12-14 mpg is fine, but what if Wall goes down for an extended period of time? Then you have gramps and some 10-day project running the show until Wall is healthy.

To me, backup guard is really important. Actually the most important bench player. They've paid good money to upgrade the bench but are still lacking a good backup point IMO. Augustin, like Nate has said, would have been a great signing. Obviously, the FO thought signing 2 power fowards was more important.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#314 » by Nivek » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:57 pm

There wasn't a realistic free agent signing who was going to protect the Wizards if Wall goes down for an extended period. Augustin was decent last season, but signing him likely would have meant forgoing Blair or Humphries. I can see the argument in favor of doing that. But, the frontcourt desperately needed some competent bodies off the bench, and they have Miller for another year. And Miller is fine for a backup. Agree with you about the Wiz being in trouble if Wall goes down, but that was going to be the case even if they'd signed Augustin.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#315 » by montestewart » Tue Sep 2, 2014 5:12 pm

Short of lucking out in the draft (something a bit more than Sh'Mack, although keeping more picks might increase their odds) the Wizards would need to shell out some money to get a player who could fill in for Wall while keeping the team near the same level. A combo guard-type like Dragic @ $8 million, or maybe Isaiah Thomas @ $7 million. Players like that don't come on the market on a regular basis. Still, would be nice if they were trying to find Miller's replacement now. Long-term effects of Maynor signing.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#316 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:59 pm

montestewart wrote:Short of lucking out in the draft (something a bit more than Sh'Mack, although keeping more picks might increase their odds) the Wizards would need to shell out some money to get a player who could fill in for Wall while keeping the team near the same level. A combo guard-type like Dragic @ $8 million, or maybe Isaiah Thomas @ $7 million. Players like that don't come on the market on a regular basis. Still, would be nice if they were trying to find Miller's replacement now. Long-term effects of Maynor signing.

I thought Isaiah Thomas was an incredible value for $7 mil. I just didn't think he'd be so willing to take a likely backup role in a crowded backcourt.

Thomas would be fantastic as a 3rd guard for us and I know Thomas & Wall are really good friends but the Wizards had little impetus to pour resources into a position where Andre Miller was already doing a very credible job.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#317 » by montestewart » Tue Sep 2, 2014 8:11 pm

Dat2U wrote:
montestewart wrote:Short of lucking out in the draft (something a bit more than Sh'Mack, although keeping more picks might increase their odds) the Wizards would need to shell out some money to get a player who could fill in for Wall while keeping the team near the same level. A combo guard-type like Dragic @ $8 million, or maybe Isaiah Thomas @ $7 million. Players like that don't come on the market on a regular basis. Still, would be nice if they were trying to find Miller's replacement now. Long-term effects of Maynor signing.

I thought Isaiah Thomas was an incredible value for $7 mil. I just didn't think he'd be so willing to take a likely backup role in a crowded backcourt.

Thomas would be fantastic as a 3rd guard for us and I know Thomas & Wall are really good friends but the Wizards had little impetus to pour resources into a position where Andre Miller was already doing a very credible job.

Agree about Thomas, and with Wall already here, Dragic might have passed too. I'm pretty happy with Miller's performance, but I don't see him handling a lot of minutes for too long if Wall goes down, and I don't imagine he'll be here next year. Maybe the 3rd PG should have been a young player who might develop, rather than Garrett Temple.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#318 » by Nivek » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:16 pm

Agree completely on Isaiah Thomas being a great value on the deal he signed. He has two strikes against him when it comes to negotiating a salary commensurate with his on-court production: his draft position (last pick in the draft), and his size (or lack of it).

Just as an aside, how nice might it have been to have Thomas as the backup these past three seasons? The year he went 60th, the Wizards picked Shelvin Mack 34th.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#319 » by WashWiz54 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:46 am

Didn't thin it warranted its own thread, but we apparently contacted Ray Allen about joining us. Are him and Pierce cool now? Not that I think he's coming, but I don't want to piss Paul off when his feet aren't even wet.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#320 » by Nivek » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:05 pm

I figure they're grown men and oughta be able to overcome hurt feelings from two teams ago each. But, I love that they've apparently talked to Ray Allen -- even just for a year, even the old man, significantly diminished version he is now. Allen is still an absolute pro in every sense, still has a crazy work ethic, still stays in great shape. And he knows shooting -- as in, it's not just something he can do well, but he knows all the technical stuff, and is apparently very happy to share what he knows. Can't think of a better guy for Beal to learn from and emulate.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Return to Washington Wizards