Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Re: 2014 Off-season Thread - Part II 

Post#221 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am

Roger Mason? You gotta be kidding me.

Roger Mason was a fringe player when he was in his physical prime at age 27. He doesn't belong on the court or anywhere in the freakin' building now that he is 34 years old. There are probably 30 guys in the D-League who could do better.

Rule of thumb: Guys who were only mediocre when at their physical peak have no chance to keep up when they get to their mid 30's. Never add a 33+ year old player unless they were a true stud when in their prime.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#222 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:17 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/494607608486309889[/tweet]
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#223 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:54 pm

fishercob wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/494607608486309889[/tweet]

I guess the organization shares the same concerns many of us have about wing defense. Jones is a dud offensively but he can defend.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#224 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:48 am

Ok, so at this point, I'm starting to wonder if we didn't miss the boat by not going for Monroe. Considering he is still out there, and the teams that can offer him a max are scarce at this point, but reportedly IF he were to get a max deal Detroit would let him walk.

Consider if we had renounced Gortat and instead offered a max deal to Monoe. That deal would be approximately 3-4 mil per year more than Gortat's deal, and that is this year as well as in 2016. An increase of fairly insignificant impact.

Gortat has good chemistry here and is a nice fit. But as for 2016, Gortat will be at a point of decline just as Durant is arriving, and Wall, Beal, Porter AND MONROE all will be entering their prime.

I mean, imagine in 2016, instead of Gortat, we could say to KD... come join this nucleus we already have in place of John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Greg Monroe.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#225 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:56 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... las-vegas/
If thread worthy, please move to its own thread.

USA Basketball Showcase that will be held Friday, 6 p.m. (PDT) at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

The USA White Team, led by 2012 Olympic gold medalists Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder) and James Harden (Houston Rockets)

USA White Team, coach by USA assistant coach and Chicago Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau, includes Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards); DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings); Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons); Durant; Harden; Kyrie Irving (Cleveland Cavaliers); Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers); Paul Millsap (Atlanta Hawks); Chandler Parsons (Dallas Mavericks); and Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors).

USA Blue squad led by 2012 Olympic gold medalist Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans), and 2010 World Championship gold medalists Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors) and Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)

The USA Blue Team, which will be led by USA assistant coach and New Orleans Pelicans head coach Monty Williams, includes Curry; Davis; DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets); Paul George (Indiana Pacers); Gordon Hayward (Utah Jazz); Kyle Korver (Atlanta Hawks); Plumlee; Rose; and John Wall (Washington Wizards).
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#226 » by Nivek » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:06 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok, so at this point, I'm starting to wonder if we didn't miss the boat by not going for Monroe. Considering he is still out there, and the teams that can offer him a max are scarce at this point, but reportedly IF he were to get a max deal Detroit would let him walk.

Consider if we had renounced Gortat and instead offered a max deal to Monoe. That deal would be approximately 3-4 mil per year more than Gortat's deal, and that is this year as well as in 2016. An increase of fairly insignificant impact.

Gortat has good chemistry here and is a nice fit. But as for 2016, Gortat will be at a point of decline just as Durant is arriving, and Wall, Beal, Porter AND MONROE all will be entering their prime.

I mean, imagine in 2016, instead of Gortat, we could say to KD... come join this nucleus we already have in place of John Wall, Bradley Beal, and Greg Monroe.

Clearly you fail to understand the importance of continuity.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#227 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:33 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
fishercob wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/494607608486309889[/tweet]

I guess the organization shares the same concerns many of us have about wing defense. Jones is a dud offensively but he can defend.

He's yet another guy who's 33/34 years old. I wonder if they actually prefer over-the-hill players - perhaps because they completely doubt their ability to coach young players.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:35 pm

Nivek wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok, so at this point, I'm starting to wonder if we didn't miss the boat by not going for Monroe. Considering he is still out there, and the teams that can offer him a max are scarce at this point, but reportedly IF he were to get a max deal Detroit would let him walk.

Clearly you fail to understand the importance of continuity.

If I was a poet, I'd say continuity shmuity. But I'm not, so I won't.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#229 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

He's yet another guy who's 33/34 years old. I wonder if they actually prefer over-the-hill players - perhaps because they completely doubt their ability to coach young players.

I wonder if they didn't want to bring in someone younger who would take minutes from Porter/GR Jr..
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#230 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:29 pm

Possibly. But then the Wizards would have less cap space in 2016 (around 3-4 million a year). There's a good chance that Gortat could have signed somewhere else like Miami (I wonder if LeBron goes back if they have Gortat) and that the Pistons would have matched Monroe's contract.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#231 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:25 pm

Would anyone take a flyer on Chris Douglass Roberts at this point for our #15 roster slot.

I think I read somewhere that he is still available.

Would he be affordable?

Seems like he'd be a good asset as a few extra fouls against LeBron, Carmelo and PGeorge.

Seems too that his three ball has improved, so he wouldn't be as useless on that end of the floor as he had been before.
In Rizzo we trust
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#232 » by BigA » Fri Aug 1, 2014 7:45 pm

nate33 wrote:Please, no more washed up old people. No Barbosa. No Jermaine O'Neal. No Rip Hamilton. We have all the "team leaders" and "veteran savvy" any team would ever want in Miller, Pierce, Nene and Harrington. Adding any more guys like that isn't going to make our younger players any smarter. They're just going to take up a roster spot that could otherwise be used by a young prospect.
<snip>

No MWP? Too bad he just signed in China.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#233 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Aug 3, 2014 7:07 pm

Just wondering if anyone else watched that Wizards Central yesterday on comcast? If not didn't miss much, it was a 1/2 hour show about the Wizards offseason with Chris Miller, Ron Thompson and J Michael.

They all liked the moves they made, all agreed would have been a mistake to commit to a big long term deal w/ Ariza, and getting the trade exception in return was nice. They all liked the signings of Pierce, Humphries and Blair. Show was apparently made before the Seraphin signing though because they didn't mention him other than J Michael saying he thought Blair was an upgrade over him.

The best part of the show was interview with Gortat. He was very positive about the talent of the team and said Wall, Beal, and Porter are very talented and each of them can be a special player, and said they have to want it and have to work hard, and being very motivational about that.

J Michael did say they are all in for Durant in 2016, and basically came to that as a plan once the Ariza departure took place. Makes me wonder though if the Durant objective was in place from the jump if they would have done the Gortat contract. They could of instead took a shot at Monroe who in contrast would be entering his prime when/if Durant arrives (not to mention Durant being a GTown fan). Worst case scenario they would loose out on both, have the cap space and maybe be stuck using Nene/Blair/Seraphin/Humphries at center this year, and have the next 2 years to find another center. Best case they get Monroe to team with Wall, Beal, Otto, and Durant, and whoever they draft the next 2 years.

According to HawksHoop.com, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports stated during an interview that restricted free agent Greg Monroe doesn't want to return to the Detroit Pistons and one destination might have been the Atlanta Hawks, but that is now off the table. Portland and the Phoenix Suns also reportedly held sign-and-trade discussions with Detroit for Monroe, but they are out, too.

In any case it's a moot point now, and watching the Gortat interview it's obvious having him here is good for this team.

But over all enjoyed the show. Just glad to see some good Wizards coverage! Not sure if it will be replayed, or if maybe it aired before that.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#234 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Aug 4, 2014 3:48 pm

So I lost track. I know we used about half of the Ariza TPE on Humphries, right? Did we use more of it on Blair, or was that with the Maynor TPE? Do we still have any left over from the Ariza TPE, and if so, how much?

I doubt we'll use it this season, but it would be nice to have. And technically, it lasts for one full year, so we could theoretically use it in the early days of next year's FA period, if we find a team desperate enough to shed salary.

Or maybe I'm all confused - but then that wouldn't be a first.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#235 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:20 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:So I lost track. I know we used about half of the Ariza TPE on Humphries, right? Did we use more of it on Blair, or was that with the Maynor TPE? Do we still have any left over from the Ariza TPE, and if so, how much?

I doubt we'll use it this season, but it would be nice to have. And technically, it lasts for one full year, so we could theoretically use it in the early days of next year's FA period, if we find a team desperate enough to shed salary.

Or maybe I'm all confused - but then that wouldn't be a first.

They used the Maynor tpe on Blair. Still have the other half of the Ariza one, not sure exactly 4 or 5 mil.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#236 » by JAR69 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 am

Harrington signs one year deal to play in China next year: https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statu ... 0849163264.

Apparently the Fujian SBS Xunxing Sturgeons: https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statu ... 3324361728.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#237 » by Hidden Eye » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am

JAR69 wrote:Harrington signs one year deal to play in China next year: https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statu ... 0849163264.

Apparently the Fujian SBS Xunxing Sturgeons: https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statu ... 3324361728.

Interesting gl to Harrington maybe he can get a coaching job here one day. That makes the roster 14 making it one extra slot. Who they gonna use it on :crazy: .
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Hidden Eye wrote:
JAR69 wrote:Harrington signs one year deal to play in China next year: https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/statu ... 0849163264.

Interesting gl to Harrington maybe he can get a coaching job here one day. That makes the roster 14 making it one extra slot. Who they gonna use it on :crazy: .

I think they'll use the proverbial "wait till we have an injury" approach rather than be pro-active and actually develop someone.

At least it's good to see they won't waste the last roster spot on Harrington. With the plethora of forwards on the team and his lack of ability, it'd have made no sense to keep him. Not sure how he's coaching material when he doesn't rebound, defend, or have low post moves, and shows poor shot selection. But he seems like a good guy, so good luck to him in China.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#239 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 pm

I've been pretty bullish on the Wizards off-season moves and generally happy.

But, with Cleveland adding LeBron, and now Love. Bulls getting Rose back healthy, and adding Gasol.

We lost Ariza and Booker, and added Pierce and Humphries. And replaced Cassell on the bench with Roy Rogers.

Hmmm. I'm thinking more and more we missed the boat with a real possibility to add Monroe, if we had made the attempt.

What we are going into the season with ...

Gortat/Blair
Nene/Humphries
Pierce/Porter
Beal/Rice
Wall/Miller

Actually kinda like 2nd unit with Rice and Porter teamed against backups, see if they can keep their groove going from SL, with Miller to run the team and get them the ball in good spots, Blair and Humphries doing the grunt work down low. Also Gooden and later Webster to mix in there as well.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#240 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Barbosa could be a nice fit for our final roster spot to add to our bench. Free agent veteran scoring combo guard, career 39% from 3 (better than either Webster or Ariza), and current teammate of Nene's on Team Brazil.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... y-Interest

RealGM Wiretap
Basketball news gathered from around the net.
Leandro Barbosa Hopes World Cup Increases Free Agency Interest
Aug 17, 2014 1:21 AM EDT

CHICAGO -- Leandro Barbosa has had discussions with a few NBA teams about a possible free agent deal, hoping to use the upcoming FIBA World Cup to further prove his health, the 11-year veteran told RealGM.

Barbosa hasn’t held visits with any team, nor is he considering a return to the Brazillian league. The 31-year-old has focused on his Team Brazil, which lost to USA Basketball in its first exhibition game.

“I don’t know what owners think about the World Cup, but hopefully I do a great job over there and a team sees,” Barbosa said on Sunday. “I feel healthy and my body is feeling healthy. If I have free agency in my mind, I won’t be able to be myself on the court. Hopefully, I sign a contract and I’ll be happy.”

Barbosa, who scored 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting to go with four assists and four rebounds on Sunday, spent part of last season with a Brazillian club before joining the Phoenix Suns.

Barbosa made a remarkable comeback from his torn ACL injury of February 2013, playing basketball within eight months of knee surgery. He averaged 7.5 points and 18.4 minutes in 20 games with Phoenix in 2013-14.
Via Shams Charania/RealGM

Return to Washington Wizards