ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Off-season Thread - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Re: 2014 Off-season Thread - Part II 

Post#261 » by dckingsfan » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:39 pm

Wish we hadn't brought Seraphin back. I think another wing/guard/backup PG would have been a wiser move.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#262 » by LyricalRico » Tue Sep 2, 2014 8:03 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Wish we hadn't brought Seraphin back. I think another wing/guard/backup PG would have been a wiser move.

There's always trades after Dec 15th. Sure, Seraphin has to agree, but he needs minutes to set up another contract next season. Being the 6th big in DC doesn't really set him up for that, so I can see him agreeing to a trade anywhere he'd have a shot at more minutes.

He's a decent sized expiring contract that could be swapped for somebody making up to almost the MLE. And since we'd seemingly be willing to take back somebody who has an extra year left on their deal, that increases our options.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#263 » by closg00 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 8:56 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Wish we hadn't brought Seraphin back. I think another wing/guard/backup PG would have been a wiser move.

There's always trades after Dec 15th. Sure, Seraphin has to agree, but he needs minutes to set up another contract next season. Being the 6th big in DC doesn't really set him up for that, so I can see him agreeing to a trade anywhere he'd have a shot at more minutes.

He's a decent sized expiring contract that could be swapped for somebody making up to almost the MLE. And since we'd seemingly be willing to take back somebody who has an extra year left on their deal, that increases our options.

Thanks for clearing-up this head-scratching move Rico :D
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#264 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Sep 2, 2014 10:28 pm

hands11 wrote:Ray Allen, Delfino, Sessions, Richard Hamilton, Barbosa

Any of them would be nice to add.

But there is no indication they want to use the last slot.

Its the slow time of the year. At least we have the FIBA games which is at least something. Should get more entertaining when they enter tournament play.

But the season will be here before long.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/ ... /Preseason

Oct 6, 2014 8:00 PM ET

The last FIBA game is Sep 14

Well I suggested Barbosa thinking maybe we had a connection with Nene playing with him for Brazil. It was explained to me that he was terrible and he'd be a bad signing, which is why Golden State thought he was good enough to sign I guess. It's not like they have a good backcourt or anything.

But in any case, since his signing Delfino was waived, who could also be a good fit, but again that's just an opinion, I could be way off.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#265 » by Nivek » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:16 pm

Don't worry, Golden State will soon see that Barbosa doesn't have much left. :D

I think Delfino could be a decent pickup to back up Beal.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#266 » by LyricalRico » Wed Sep 3, 2014 5:38 pm

Carlos Delfino (foot) officially cleared waivers this weekend, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The 32 year old could still contribute as a perimeter shooter off the bench, but unfortunately his surgically-repaired right foot isn't healing properly. With his 2014-15 season in jeopardy it's very unlikely that any team will give him a guaranteed contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/951/carlos-delfino

Sounds like he won't be available for a while. But if he can get healthy at some point this year, I can see a number of teams fighting over him as a late-season pickup for their playoff run.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#267 » by LyricalRico » Wed Sep 3, 2014 11:12 pm

closg00 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Thanks for clearing-up this head-scratching move Rico :D

Hey, even Windhorst likes the Seraphin move:

http://washingtonwizardsblog.monumental ... he-wizards

What else do you need? :-D
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#268 » by montestewart » Thu Sep 4, 2014 12:07 am

LyricalRico wrote:Hey, even Windhorst likes the Seraphin move:

http://washingtonwizardsblog.monumental ... he-wizards

What else do you need?

At least he didn't call Gortat Nene's backup.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#269 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Sep 4, 2014 1:42 am

LyricalRico wrote:
Carlos Delfino (foot) officially cleared waivers this weekend, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The 32 year old could still contribute as a perimeter shooter off the bench, but unfortunately his surgically-repaired right foot isn't healing properly. With his 2014-15 season in jeopardy it's very unlikely that any team will give him a guaranteed contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/951/carlos-delfino

Sounds like he won't be available for a while. But if he can get healthy at some point this year, I can see a number of teams fighting over him as a late-season pickup for their playoff run.

I didn't know about the foot. :oops:
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#270 » by hands11 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Khem-Birch

They really did a decent job of fixing things up after LeBron left.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#271 » by dckingsfan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Jordan Crawford has agreed to sign with CBA's Xinjiang Flying Tigers.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#272 » by JWizmentality » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:06 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Jordan Crawford has agreed to sign with CBA's Xinjiang Flying Tigers.

:noway:
hands11
Banned User

Post#273 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm

No sure of a better place for this except maybe the Okafor/TA thread.

We tracked a lot of player in there. I know Okafor was a topic at some point.

Anyway. Okafor is projecting a Dec/Jan return.

We need a rim protector.

We would need to only move D Blair to make room for him and we might pick up something for D Blair. He doesn't seem to really fit here so far.

Okafor liked it with the Wizards so I would imagine they still have some inside connections to him if they want him back. He liked it here so he would feel comfortable with where he lands. He knows the city and some of the players. He could return and finish what they started. He was part of helping the team turn things around. He knows Wall, Beal, Nene, Randy, Kevin S, Temple, Webster. Some faces have changed. His buddy TA is gone but he would love Otto. We know have Paul Pierce who he would enjoy. Hump is a mature vet he would enjoy. Okafor is an intelligent man and we have have some intelligent players he would get along with.

And the Wizards are one of the competitive teams so it would be a good landing spot if he wants to play meaningful games.

And with the Wizards, we are deep enough up front so he could ease his way in. We treated him well before when he was injured. He knows our staff. He knows we focus on defense first and he knows the defensive scheme already so he doesn't have to learn something new.

Seems like a a great fit for him.
hands11
Banned User

Post#274 » by hands11 » Wed Apr 8, 2015 1:15 pm

SUPERBALLMAN Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 pm wrote:
Nivek wrote:Barbosa has been pretty bad the past few years in the NBA, including last season in that "remarkable comeback" from his ACL injury. There are better options for that last roster spot.

Such as?

I like Barbosa as a what he is, a scoring combo guard who can hit the 3. A vet with playoff experience who can be signed on a low 1 or 2 year deal. Not sure what else you'd want for a final roster spot.

Dahntay Jones
Doron Lamb
Seth Curry
Wizard retreads Rip Hamilton, Jordan Crawford or AJ Price?

Not a whole lot still out there...

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1334690&start=240#start_here

And interesting read through this thread.

Barbosa came up several time where you and I commented on him. GSW got him. Would have been a real nice fit here.

Sessions came up as well. We eventually got him in a trade.

Blair was signed pre KLife signing his QO. So that was an insurance plan.

Would have been interesting had they landed Barbosa or if Webster get returned as most expected.

But neither would have addressed Randy not getting the front SF/PF/C rotations right, and that's been as big an issue as anything. Rasual was balln for a good chunk of the time as SG

Return to Washington Wizards