ImageImageImageImageImage

The amazingly sucky Otto Porter JR thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JohnBFanatic123
Ballboy
And1: 0

The amazingly sucky Otto Porter JR thread. 

Post#1 » by JohnBFanatic123 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Even when Otto Porter JR was healthy last season the only game that was of any significance was the game against Orlando where he had 9 rebounds. The purpose of this thread, is not necessarily tell Wizards fans what we already know, but, it's to convince the inter-loopers coming into this forum, thinking that Otto Porter JR could be mentored by Paul Pierce that that's not the reason for the sign. We think Otto Porter JR is a bust unless he proves it to us otherwise. Paul Pierce and Al Harrington were signed because we needed someone else other than Otto Porter JR to score. If Otto Porter JR can play like he did in his summer league, then, I'll eat my words. Otherwise, he's a bust.

Ankle and hip injuries kept him out of training camp and the season’s first 18 games and the re-emergence of Trevor Ariza during a career year kept Porter on the bench behind him and Martell Webster. Porter’s performance in summer league and heading into next season will be under tight scrutiny as the need to progress the former Georgetown All-American toward his potential becomes more imminent for him and the Wizards’ future.

Here are three numbers to note from Porter’s rookie campaign:

Position where Porter was selected in the 2013 NBA Draft. Of all 34 players picked third overall since 1980, Porter’s average of 2.1 points in 37 regular-season games ranks last. The next worst is Chris Washburn, who, after being selected by the Golden State Warriors, averaged 3.8 points before drug problems ended his career. Of course, the Wizards or NBA hasn’t seen enough out of Porter to label him as a bust and both fortunately and unfortunately for Porter, he’s in good company at the No. 3 spot. Along with Porter’s teammate Bradley Beal, the list also includes Michael Jordan, Kevin McHale, James Harden, Carmelo Anthony, Pau Gasol and Grant Hill.
In a scenario and statistical sense, Porter probably moreso compares to Darko Milicic, the international sensation who went No. 2 overall between LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony in the 2003 NBA Draft and averaged 1.8 points in 34 games during his rookie season with the eventual champion Detroit Pistons.

Points and rebounds recorded by Porter in his best game of the season against Orlando on April 11. The performance displayed Porter’s ability to impact the offensive glass with his long arms and wiry frame as well as score in transition, including a thunderous alley-oop dunk from Andre Miller. The showing matched the career-high output he had nine days earlier in a rout of Boston, but with the playoffs just around the corner, Porter never again saw even close to the 26 minutes he played during the Orlando win.

Porter’s player efficiency rating (PER), which ranked 42nd among 43 rookies this past season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... 14-season/
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: The amazingly sucky Otto Porter JR thread. 

Post#2 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:31 pm

The sample size was too small.

Otto Porter passes the eye test and the kid has some skills.

Too soon for an Amazingly Sucky thread
JohnBFanatic123
Ballboy

Post#3 » by JohnBFanatic123 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

Maybe the sample size was too small... I wasn't impressed with what I saw. He played nowhere like a number 1 draft pick. If anything he reminded me of the failure that came with picking Jan Veasley. We'll see next season how he does, and, during the summer league.

I hope that he does really well in the summer league and I hope that I'm wrong. But for the majority of last season he was virtually non-existent on offense and defense.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:39 pm

C'mon ballboy. Read the atmosphere.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#5 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Wtf is this?????
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
JohnBFanatic123
Ballboy

Post#6 » by JohnBFanatic123 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:47 pm

I've been reading a lot of people on the internet say that Otto Porter JR could take a starting role when Paul Pierce comes. I am just saying based on what I've seen I don't feel comfortable with that at all. Maybe Drew Gooden ought to be a starter instead.

That's all I'm saying. And I didn't like Otto Porter JR last season. Maybe he'll get better. But I've been through so many busts, it's hard to be optimistic for some of our draft picks sometimes...
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#7 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:49 pm

This is so random lol Porter just had an amazing game in summer league yesterday.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
JohnBFanatic123
Ballboy

Post#8 » by JohnBFanatic123 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:01 pm

I know, that's why I added the disclaimer in my OP, that if Otto Porter unbusts in the summer league and continues to play like this for the rest of the season I'll eat my words and I'll be a very happy man! Otherwise, this is just the summer league, and I don't want people to get ahead of themselves yet.
jeffsays
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#9 » by jeffsays » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Lock this thread!!
Woody Ball
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Woody Ball » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:16 pm

JohnBFanatic123 wrote:Maybe the sample size was too small... I wasn't impressed with what I saw. He played nowhere like a number 1 draft pick. If anything he reminded me of the failure that came with picking Jan Veasley. We'll see next season how he does, and, during the summer league.

I hope that he does really well in the summer league and I hope that I'm wrong. But for the majority of last season he was virtually non-existent on offense and defense.

The difference between Porter and Ves is we saw Porter actually play smart, skilled basketball consistently through college. He has more skills in his left foot than Ves has in his entire body.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#11 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Lock this stupid thread
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#12 » by tontoz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:26 pm

IBTL

Idiotic thread
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards