Report: Humphries S&T to Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Report: Humphries S&T to Wizards 

Post#221 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:30 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
WizTom wrote:Hey, don't take anything too hard from me. I read a lot of this board, but with 220 posts in over 10 years, I'm hardly the lifeblood of this place.

Maybe not lifeblood but lurkers like you are the unspoken yet necessary jenga pieces that keep this rickety tower of a fanbase together. *cue Bud LIght Real American Heroes Music* So here's to you Mr. Wiztom. Crack open an ice cold bud light. You deserve it.

So... post more often! As you can see, there's nothing to it; just let your fingertips daydream while a glow develops around your screen and the image of Ernie pulses in and out with an occasional subliminal substitution of Kevin Durant's image.

Or as someone called him the other day, dating himself I'm sure, "Kevin Durante" -- "Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are...."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#222 » by montestewart » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 pm

WizTom wrote:Be positive. Or be negative. Just discover your Zen place and keep sliding down the razor blade of life. We're Wizards fans.

That is really a HOF slogan right there.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#223 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 am

montestewart wrote:
WizTom wrote:Be positive. Or be negative. Just discover your Zen place and keep sliding down the razor blade of life. We're Wizards fans.

That is really a HOF slogan right there.

Nah.... Gotta be both. If you're positive w/o negative, then bad moves look good to you. If you're negative w/o positive then good moves look bad to you.

Keep in mind that before enlightenment, mountains are mountains and trees are trees. When you are enlightened they are not; they are each other, they are everything. Then after enlightenment, mountains are mountains once more, and trees are trees. Just not like before.

Now that I think of it, it's kind of like an Ernie Grunfield draft pick -- before he's on your team you're thinking "the guy's a mountain!" Then when he's with you, you're thinking "I forgot... mountains can't move their feet!"

BTW, that's no razor blade -- that's Ernie.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#224 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:56 am

Mountains are trees....

Someone is blazing trees perhaps?

I guess I need a hit of whatever EG and you enlightened ones are on.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#225 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:14 am

Grunfeld is serious with his disregard for 2nd round talent...

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... round-pick
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#226 » by montestewart » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:30 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Grunfeld is serious with his disregard for 2nd round talent...

I hear you, but this one is protected. Maybe it's one of those top-59 protected picks.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#227 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:14 am

montestewart wrote:
AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Grunfeld is serious with his disregard for 2nd round talent...

I hear you, but this one is protected. Maybe it's one of those top-59 protected picks.

Why did we have to give away a pick? Otherwise, no S&T possible, meaning we couldn't use our TPE?

Every Ernie makes seem to result in a) an older squad, and b) fewer future (young) assets.

I don't like this way of proceeding, and it sure won't turn us into a contender. But, I've given up on that anyway. Even if we do wind up with Durant. He didn't pull it in for OKC with Westbrook, Ibaka, Harden, and Reggie Jackson (all young players the team drafted). Doesn't convince me he'd do it with Wall, Beal & Gortat.

Oh well.... Look forward to the next rebuild, and in the meantime I'm ready for the Ernie/Ted "Mediocrity or Bust!" results we're likely to be getting.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#228 » by Severn Hoos » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 am

payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Why did we have to give away a pick? Otherwise, no S&T possible, meaning we couldn't use our TPE?

Yes, that's correct. You have to send something back in the trade. It could be a top-55 protected 2nd rounder, or it could be the draft rights to some obscure Eurodude who will never actually cross the ocean, but it's gotta be something.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
payitforward
RealGM

Post#229 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 am

Severn Hoos wrote:
payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:I hear you, but this one is protected. Maybe it's one of those top-59 protected picks.

Yes, that's correct. You have to send something back in the trade. It could be a top-55 protected 2nd rounder, or it could be the draft rights to some obscure Eurodude who will never actually cross the ocean, but it's gotta be something.

Got it. And, the something we send back may turn out to be nothing (i.e. "top-55 protected 2d rounder...").
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#230 » by dobrojim » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:03 pm

like when we sent the right to vladimir varanchenko (with apol for spelling) to
CHI and they sent us Capt Kirk, Seraphin and the pick that became Chris Singleton.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#231 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:22 pm

dobrojim wrote:like when we sent the right to vladimir varanchenko (with apol for spelling) to
CHI and they sent us Capt Kirk, Seraphin and the pick that became Chris Singleton.

Thanks for the reminder. And that seemed like such a haul at the time.

Oh wait, we got something when we traded Kirk away to the Hawks, so it's all good. What was it we got in that deal again....?

:roll:

[Yes, I realize it was Jordan "the other" Crawford. But if you really want to rub salt in the wound, state it like this:

We traded VV to the Bulls for Kirk Hinrich and the chance to draft Eric Bledsoe and Kenneth Fareid. That makes it sound so much better if you don't clarify that we failed to exercise the chance to draft those guys...]
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#232 » by fishercob » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Veermenko was awesome.

"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
payitforward
RealGM

Post#233 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:
dobrojim wrote:like when we sent the right to vladimir varanchenko (with apol for spelling) to

Thanks for the reminder. And that seemed like such a haul at the time.

Oh wait, we got something when we traded Kirk away to the Hawks, so it's all good. What was it we got in that deal again....?

:roll:

[Yes, I realize it was Jordan "the other" Crawford. But if you really want to rub salt in the wound, state it like this:

We traded VV to the Bulls for Kirk Hinrich and the chance to draft Eric Bledsoe and Kenneth Fareid. That makes it sound so much better if you don't clarify that we failed to exercise the chance to draft those guys...]

You've conflated two deals, both terrific -- that was a high point for Ernie, and I had a lot of confidence in him at that point.

We traded the rights to Veeremenko to Chicago for their #17 (they took Seraphin for us) and Kirk Heinrich. Then near the end of that season, we traded Heinrich to the Hawks for their following year (2011) R1 pick and Jordan Crawford.

I had no problem w/ Ernie picking Seraphin. In fact, I was glad he did. The guy hasn't worked out, but not every #17 pick does. As to Bledsoe, Hands says that he wanted us to pick him at #17. But you know how memory is.... I'd like to see the post where he says something definitive to that effect.

Keep in mind that Bledsoe hadn't really had a strong Freshman year at Kentucky. In fact, he's only gotten really good the last couple of years. He wouldn't have been high on my list. And, if you look at the 12 guys taken after him in R1 that year, you could argue that the best of them has been Trevor Booker!

In other words, despite Seraphin never developing, I thought and still think that Ernie had an outstanding draft that year. I *loved* the trade up for Booker, and unless you wanted us to pick Lance Stephenson at #35 you can't really think we gave away much to move up and get him.

Turning around and trading Heinrich for a next year #1 and a guy who looked quite promising (Crawford) was an equally good move. I was very optimistic. But, then everything went South for 2 years (w/ the exception of picking Beal, of course).
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#234 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 pm

"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#235 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 2:26 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I'm guessing it would be either Humphries or Blair.

I guess Humph is a bit more of a floor spacer, but I really like Blair.

How would you all break this one down?

And they got both. What a great off season.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#236 » by Hidden Eye » Fri Aug 8, 2014 12:33 pm

He said in the interview other teams but didn't say which ones besides Wash and Boston :confused:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#237 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Hump in hot water for his tweet about Bruce Jenner.
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/kris-h ... eekly.html
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#238 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:30 pm

No he is not in hot water. If you read the comments most agree.

He is lucky.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Report: Humphries S&T to Wizards 

Post#239 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:No he is not in hot water. If you read the comments most agree.

He is lucky.

Thanks for the clarification, the headlines have been misleading.

#FireErnie ~ Because he believed Stephen Curry couldn't help us and Jan Vesely could.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#240 » by J-Ves » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Man, thats the most nothing tweet ever and some people are going nuts.

Return to Washington Wizards