2014-2015 Depth Chart Thread.....

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Re: 2014-2015 Depth Chart Thread..... 

Post#61 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:50 pm

doclinkin wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Very little - I think he has slowed down a step and was just getting used to playing a different way (slow ball). I think the transition here will be more difficult for PP - Wall is fast and getting up and down the court will be hard for PP.

Either that or they slow the game up for PP and Wall will struggle big time

What I've been saying.

That coupled with the loss of a top end perimeter defender means we've taken a step back this year. Regular season we may earn more wins (since we start the year able to sub in actual players for sometime starters Vesely, Maynor, Singleton) but in the post season we're no credible threat without pressure on the ball-entry attacker. First round at best unless we get a lucky match-up or the vets go crazy.

What? This post-departure Ariza boosting is getting out of hand. We're going to take a big step back because we lost our fifth most important starter from last season? A pure 3&D wing that was 10th on the team in usage. Nevermind the likelihood Wall and Beal improve, Porter actually gives us something, and the bench is much better. We replaced Ariza with a good player. If anything, Pierce might still be a better player. Ariza is a pure 3 & D player. Pierce is a lot more than that. I don't think there is a single aspect of offense that Ariza is better than Pierce at. And while Ariza is a very good defender, he ain't Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, or Tony Allen. Losing him doesn't wreck your defense. Especially since Pierce is a good defender and Otto Porter is probably a really good defender. Ariza was in a contract year last season, playing with a PG that made his game. If Pierce stays healthy, I bet that not only does he have a better season than Ariza this year, he and Otto Porter are better for us this year than Ariza and Webster were last year.

As far as whether PP fits in our offense, a guy with his ability to create for himself and others, particularly in the mid range doesn't fit? He's a far better career 3 pt shooter than Ariza too. In terms of transition offense, Pierce can't shoot open trailing 3s too? We're not a fast break heavy team either. We were 18th in pace last season.

Also, up tempo teams that struggle to run half court offense are the ones who struggle in the playoffs, not vice versa. Pierce upgrades our half court offense because he's a much better offensive player than Ariza.

And as far as chemistry with Wall goes, if Pierce can play with Rondo, he can play with Wall. Playing with Wall is at least half the reason Pierce signed with us.

You really think we're going to be lucky to get out of the first round this season? Just who do you think is beating us?
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#62 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Nivek wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
cdouglas wrote:Last season, there were several games where the bench outplayed the starters. The run and gun tends to get sloppy on this team, therefore, I prefer a more organized game.

You're going to get a handful of games a season like that for every team. But on the whole, our bench was one of the worst groups in the NBA last year, and our starters were a high quality line up.

When I looked at the data last season, I found that both starters and bench for the Wizards were basically about average. I was genuinely surprised with the result -- I'd gone into it thinking I'd find the starters were okay but that the bench was awful. But, not so.

I'm looking at bench rankings in a variety of stats and seeing our bench consistently ranked between 24th to 29th for last season. The only thing they were good in were turnovers, and middle of the road was FG%, points against, 3 pt FG %, and offensive rebounds. Everything else they were near the bottom. What are you basing the evaluation that they were average on?

Before that final stretch of the season when the AARP group came together and played well, the bench was awful.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#63 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:16 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
Nivek wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
You're going to get a handful of games a season like that for every team. But on the whole, our bench was one of the worst groups in the NBA last year, and our starters were a high quality line up.

When I looked at the data last season, I found that both starters and bench for the Wizards were basically about average. I was genuinely surprised with the result -- I'd gone into it thinking I'd find the starters were okay but that the bench was awful. But, not so.

I'm looking at bench rankings in a variety of stats and seeing our bench consistently ranked between 24th to 29th for last season. The only thing they were good in were turnovers, and middle of the road was FG%, points against, 3 pt FG %, and offensive rebounds. Everything else they were near the bottom. What are you basing the evaluation that they were average on?

Before that final stretch of the season when the AARP group came together and played well, the bench was awful.

I think that is what we are looking at right?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#64 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:17 pm

I wrote about it on my blog back on January 28, which was BEFORE the AARP group came together.

The method is described in the 2nd paragraph.

What I found was that including games through 1/27, the Wizards starting lineup ranked 14th and their bench rated 15th. Both groups rated very close to league average for starters and benches to that point in the season. If It would be interesting to redo the analysis through the end of the season to see how things changed.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#65 » by Dat2U » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:What? This post-departure Ariza boosting is getting out of hand. We're going to take a big step back because we lost our fifth most important starter from last season? A pure 3&D wing that was 10th on the team in usage. Nevermind the likelihood Wall and Beal improve, Porter actually gives us something, and the bench is much better. We replaced Ariza with a good player. If anything, Pierce might still be a better player. Ariza is a pure 3 & D player. Pierce is a lot more than that. I don't think there is a single aspect of offense that Ariza is better than Pierce at. And while Ariza is a very good defender, he ain't Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, or Tony Allen. Losing him doesn't wreck your defense. Especially since Pierce is a good defender and Otto Porter is probably a really good defender. Ariza was in a contract year last season, playing with a PG that made his game. If Pierce stays healthy, I bet that not only does he have a better season than Ariza this year, he and Otto Porter are better for us this year than Ariza and Webster were last year.

As far as whether PP fits in our offense, a guy with his ability to create for himself and others, particularly in the mid range doesn't fit? He's a far better career 3 pt shooter than Ariza too. In terms of transition offense, Pierce can't shoot open trailing 3s too? We're not a fast break heavy team either. We were 18th in pace last season.

Also, up tempo teams that struggle to run half court offense are the ones who struggle in the playoffs, not vice versa. Pierce upgrades our half court offense because he's a much better offensive player than Ariza.

And as far as chemistry with Wall goes, if Pierce can play with Rondo, he can play with Wall. Playing with Wall is at least half the reason Pierce signed with us.

You really think we're going to be lucky to get out of the first round this season? Just who do you think is beating us?

100% agree on Ariza. I’d swear we’d lost LeBron not Ariza the way some have propped up Ariza’s role up.

IMO, Ariza did two things that we’ll need to figure out how to replace.... shoot the corner 3 very well & he had the ability as an individual defender to make life tough for an opposing scorer. That’s it. The corner 3 is very much a learned skill, much like Ariza learned his. Also Porter has the ideal length and IQ to be a very good individual defender as Ariza’s long term replacement.

Ariza’s overall defensive impact is massively overrated… due to how much he’d gamble in the passing lanes. Pierce doesn’t gamble. In fact, Pierce is ALWAYS in the right spot. Pierce may not be able to stay in front of quicker 3s anymore but as coach on floor he’s barking out assignments and pointing out where his teammates should be. If anything, our defense has improved, not regressed. Especially with Booker no longer around, who defended very poorly yet started 45 games and played over 1,500 minutes last season.

I’d agree that I’m not a fan of the big plodding lineup. I’m not crazy about lining up Nene & Pierce together at the F spot. It does hurt Wall’s ability in half-court settings with the lack of spacing but IMO, without Ariza & Booker on the floor… were less likely to gamble for steals because were playing sound, fundamental defense and were more likely to get stops; and thusly be a better defensive team because of it.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#66 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 am

OK, a fairly reasoned response - not sure I buy into the ..."If anything, our defense has improved, not regressed."...

I think that arguing Pierce is approximately equal to Ariza is a bit out there. I think the better argument would be that Wittman will figure out a defensive scheme that will hide Pierce.

If PP/Nene are the two starters... it would worry me a bit - Seems like Nene is slowing down a step a season too.

But we will see if they improve upon their DRtg of 8th in the L last year.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#67 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:What? This post-departure Ariza boosting is getting out of hand. We're going to take a big step back because we lost our fifth most important starter from last season? A pure 3&D wing that was 10th on the team in usage. Nevermind the likelihood Wall and Beal improve, Porter actually gives us something, and the bench is much better. We replaced Ariza with a good player. If anything, Pierce might still be a better player. Ariza is a pure 3 & D player. Pierce is a lot more than that. I don't think there is a single aspect of offense that Ariza is better than Pierce at. And while Ariza is a very good defender, he ain't Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, or Tony Allen. Losing him doesn't wreck your defense. Especially since Pierce is a good defender and Otto Porter is probably a really good defender.

Eh. I love Otto Porter's all game potential, his instincts etc. But his lateral speed is lacking. And there are bully SF's who will move him off position whenever they feel like it. Whatever his potential, no one's gonna see him as the answer when we are getting torched by the DJ Augustines of the league. Wittman used Ariza to defend spots 1-4 this year, for a top 5 defense for much of the year. Of the players you cite, Ariza on defense compares well with any of the names mentioned, holding opposing SFs below their season average over the course of the year. Otto, he's a gangly redshirt rookie, will suffer from referee bias until he develops a defensive rep; foul troubles are in his future for a little bit.

Years ago Popovich stated it and it seems proven true, the two players you need most on defense in the no-hand-check era are a show-and-recover Big who can guard the pick & roll but still make it back to the paint to challenge on the interior, and a versatile long player who you can send at whatever perimeter guy has the hot hand that night, force them to miss or make lateral passes instead of hitting threes or driving past.

A healthy Nene gives us the first, as well as any big in the league. I suspect the 2nd guy is not on our roster yet. I'd love to believe Otto's length, positioning, and BBIQ make up the difference, but right now I see him likely to get smeared on picks, and chasing behind those quick-twitch 1's and 2's who can sidestep him and strafe into the interior.

Our perimeter D will be somewhat of a liability this year. Terrible? Maybe not. Pierce was a good defender, under Thibbs, with Garnett and Perk behind him, and Rondo challenging the ball pressure. Maybe we have the equivalent in Nene, Gortat, and Wall. Not quite as good, nor is Pierce that same Celtics Pierce. But he's a smart defender, strong enough to hold his ground, I do like the pick-up, even with questions about chemistry. But perimeter defense is no longer a game-winning strength for us. Just a probability.

Ariza was in a contract year last season, playing with a PG that made his game. If Pierce stays healthy, I bet that not only does he have a better season than Ariza this year, he and Otto Porter are better for us this year than Ariza and Webster were last year. As far as whether PP fits in our offense, a guy with his ability to create for himself and others, particularly in the mid range doesn't fit? He's a far better career 3 pt shooter than Ariza too. In terms of transition offense, Pierce can't shoot open trailing 3s too?

Check the shot charts. Pierce, Beal, (even Nene and Humphries) all take their preferred shot from the left elbow and out. When playing well in the past, Webster found a role on this squad by being able to hit the corner three from the Right side (and Otto liked the right side as well, though he seems comfy wherever you put him). Okay I could design sets to take advantage of that overload, but Ariza and Wall had a synergy that amounted to a league leading number and % of assists to that leftside corner three.

Can Pierce hit that shot? He can. Did so last year at a good rate when left open in small ball sets, drawing the Bigs out to him. But he had a good % in the games I saw simply because those were wide open shots for him. The bigs did not chase on that play. Can he still do it when guarded tighter? By SFs? Hmm, maybe, he's tough. But only really started to come on strong when he was the small ball Big out there. That's not his role here. He and Beal may be battling for real estate on the court.

Then too Wall I suspect will defer to him. Which is fine in terms of short term accomplishment, Pierce is a proven scorer, more efficient, more versatile. But in terms of the long term development of this team, I want Wall cocky and attacking and learning where and when he can attack and finish strong. Right, Pierce is not a 3&D guy, but a 3&D guy is a proven fit next to John. I want him with space to attack, so he can develop that mindset.

Well that's a fair point. In the debauched and degraded East there are no juggernauts. IF Rose stays healthy they are really tough. IF the Cavs gel by year's end they are unguardable. Miami will have an oddball inside out team with Bosh and McBob shooting long ball from the perimeter while Deng and Wade back down their man in the low post, they'll beat some teams who scramble to adjust. Charlotte with Lance, Kemba, and AlJeff are better than they were. With good health we're in the conversation with any of them.

And your point on post season offense is well taken. Even if in postseason Defense we don't have a shutdown guy.

Are we a better team without Ariza's contract, and with the players we landed for that cap space? Yes, we are. In the regular season especially. We will be fun to watch. And in the post season, the expectation has to be that Pierce's experience as a lynchpin player on a championship team adds a toughminded aspect to young players learning how it is done. That may take us deeper than otherwise on attitude and clutch-nessness.

Which long term is the best benefit for this squad. The player who most needs to learn from Pierce's game, and most stands to benefit, is Porter. And Glen Rice actually. Both show suggestions that they can play as he has done, with a versatile game deadly from any part of the floor, not requiring the fastest footspeed to get the job done. And John Wall needs to learn to play in the half court, as that is his weakness right now, so maybe the discomfort works to the positive over the long haul, even if I personally am tired in advance about the conversation on whether John Wall is not worth the bla bla bla....

But would I love him to play as well as Rondo? Or Rondo with a three ball eventually? Yes, yes I would. The two active players I want him to aspire to are Rondo (his closest comparator) and Tony Parker (staying in constant motion to put pressure on the defense and use your speed as an asset always, no hesitation or stopping to watch). Otherwise I'd say study Kevin Johnson, another speed guard who had that blow-by gear but was always under control even at 9000 rpm.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#68 » by hands11 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:30 pm

I agree with Steve and Dat and will add this.

Both Paul and Otto can dribble. One of the teams greatest weakness last year was that Wall was the only player that could really dribble. Beal got better but was still just average. Then they added Miller and that helped a lot.

Defenses will need to guard Paul and Otto a lot closer then they guarded TA. And that will open passing and driving opportunities for Beal and Wall.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#69 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:48 pm

hands11 wrote:Both Paul and Otto can dribble. One of the teams greatest weakness last year was that Wall was the only player that could really dribble. Beal got better but was still just average. Then they added Miller and that helped a lot.

I think the key points are D and Wall's development. Being able to dribble is nice. But it really doesn't address either of those concerns.

hands11 wrote:Defenses will need to guard Paul and Otto a lot closer then they guarded TA. And that will open passing and driving opportunities for Beal and Wall.

Maybe PP - although there was a lot of effort in the playoffs devoted to stopping Ariza. Saying that defenses will need to guard Porter more closely is probably fanciful thinking. If anything - they will sag off of Porter until he proves he can shoot.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#70 » by Dat2U » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think the key points are D and Wall's development. Being able to dribble is nice. But it really doesn't address either of those concerns.

Having guys that can take the pressure off of Wall gives the team the benefit of being able to attack from multiple positions. That shouldn't be glossed over. Beal took huge steps in the right direction last season, especially in the playoffs, I'd only imagine continued improvement this season. Porter has the offensive skillset as well to contribute beyond the narrow scope of Ariza's 3 & D role.

dckingsfan wrote:Maybe PP - although there was a lot of effort in the playoffs devoted to stopping Ariza. Saying that defenses will need to guard Porter more closely is probably fanciful thinking. If anything - they will sag off of Porter until he proves he can shoot.

Stopping Ariza? I'm not sure I quite understand. Ariza's a fairly low usage player and mainly a spot up shooter. You don't really put a lot of thought into stopping a low usage spot shooter other than forcing him off his spots and making him do things off the dribble he's not comfortable with. Both Indy & Chicago's defense was much more focused on Wall and taking away his first & 2nd options by funneling him to their coverages, cutting off his passing lanes and encouraging him to become a mid-range scorer.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#71 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Hey Dat, if I recall correctly, they didn't sag off Ariza - his 3 point shooting in the playoffs changed their defensive schemes. So yes, they devoted resources to covering Ariza and that opened up the games for others. So, it seems you can be a low utilization player and still cause defensive scheme changes. Almost better than a high utilization player doing the same. And yes, Wall was the primary focus - but Ariza wasn't far behind.

I don't buy that Porter has that offensive skillset yet - he may, but he doesn't yet. I don't think any team will scheme for Porter right now. PP yes, Porter no. And PP is going to play less minutes that Ariza - so that will be quite a shift.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Nivek » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Efficient players must be accounted for by the defense, even if they're low usage. Ariza was definitely low usage (I have an alternative individual usage formula, and I had Ariza at 16.8% vs. b-r's 17.6%), but he was also efficient -- .407 from 3pt range; .509 on 2pt attempts. Both better than league average. He was definitely in the "don't leave him open" category.

Then add in the rest of his game, and overall he's a really good player. And, overall is what matters.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#73 » by hands11 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:18 am

dckingsfan wrote:
hands11 wrote:Both Paul and Otto can dribble. One of the teams greatest weakness last year was that Wall was the only player that could really dribble. Beal got better but was still just average. Then they added Miller and that helped a lot.

I think the key points are D and Wall's development. Being able to dribble is nice. But it really doesn't address either of those concerns.

hands11 wrote:Defenses will need to guard Paul and Otto a lot closer then they guarded TA. And that will open passing and driving opportunities for Beal and Wall.

Maybe PP - although there was a lot of effort in the playoffs devoted to stopping Ariza. Saying that defenses will need to guard Porter more closely is probably fanciful thinking. If anything - they will sag off of Porter until he proves he can shoot.

I welcome that. I don't think it will take long for them to figure out that is a mistake.

I really believe Otto is going to blow some people away next season. Really looking forward to seeing him out there.

Don't take this comparison the wrong way because I'm not saying its an exact match. But Otto gives me a sense of a Rip H type. He is going to always be moving. And if you give him an inch, he is going to take the mid range and hit it. But he is taller. And I think he will spot up catch and shot three good as well. But he will be a good area rebounder and solid defender.

I'm drinking the Otto Koolaid. I think he will prove to be more talented them TA. He is humble but he is also fearless and the young man has skills.
hands11
Banned User

Post#74 » by hands11 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 am

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think the key points are D and Wall's development. Being able to dribble is nice. But it really doesn't address either of those concerns.

Having guys that can take the pressure off of Wall gives the team the benefit of being able to attack from multiple positions. That shouldn't be glossed over. Beal took huge steps in the right direction last season, especially in the playoffs, I'd only imagine continued improvement this season. Porter has the offensive skillset as well to contribute beyond the narrow scope of Ariza's 3 & D role.

dckingsfan wrote:Maybe PP - although there was a lot of effort in the playoffs devoted to stopping Ariza. Saying that defenses will need to guard Porter more closely is probably fanciful thinking. If anything - they will sag off of Porter until he proves he can shoot.

Stopping Ariza? I'm not sure I quite understand. Ariza's a fairly low usage player and mainly a spot up shooter. You don't really put a lot of thought into stopping a low usage spot shooter other than forcing him off his spots and making him do things off the dribble he's not comfortable with. Both Indy & Chicago's defense was much more focused on Wall and taking away his first & 2nd options by funneling him to their coverages, cutting off his passing lanes and encouraging him to become a mid-range scorer.

Right. They sagged and jumped his skip passing routes on Wall.

They could afford to close out on TA the last second and run right at him because there wasn't much fear of him putting the ball on the court and they knew where he would be standing to shoot. With PP, you do that and he will get right past you or pump and draw a foul. Also, get can receive the ball and more spots, do more things with the ball, and shot from more spots.

Containing a player that can hit the 3 and drive and pass is a different game. Specially if they can create their own shot. Those player require you sticking with them more. And you can't just ran at them and that gives them even more time to set up if you were playing back.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Here's a way of thinking about the value of Ariza's spot-up shooting. Why would Chicago and Indy be interested in cutting off Wall's passing lanes? Answer: because Ariza's spot-up shooting was more damaging than Wall's mid-range shooting.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Dat2U
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Nivek wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Here's a way of thinking about the value of Ariza's spot-up shooting. Why would Chicago and Indy be interested in cutting off Wall's passing lanes? Answer: because Ariza's spot-up shooting was more damaging than Wall's mid-range shooting.

Very true... but the way I look at it, Chicago/Indiana knew to topple the beast, which to cut off oxygen to the head (by keying on Wall & cutting off his options). That's not so much focusing on Ariza ... moreso on limiting Wall's ability to get the ball in the hands of his shooters.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#77 » by dckingsfan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Nivek wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Very true... but the way I look at it, Chicago/Indiana knew to topple the beast, which to cut off oxygen to the head (by keying on Wall & cutting off his options). That's not so much focusing on Ariza ... moreso on limiting Wall's ability to get the ball in the hands of his shooters.

They keyed on both... the difference was Wall fell to pieces (first playoffs, I get that) with the strategy and Ariza still rose to the occasion. Ariza was by far our best player in the playoffs. The notion that PP and Porter are going to step up to that level is doubtful at best. Did you watch PP in the playoffs - he was fine, but nothing like Ariza.

If we are going to get better this year, it is because of the net improvement of Wall, Beal, Porter and Rice + better depth in the FC and an actually backup PG.

It is not because Pierce + Porter are = Ariza.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#78 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:29 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Nivek wrote:

They keyed on both... the difference was Wall fell to pieces (first playoffs, I get that) with the strategy and Ariza still rose to the occasion. Ariza was by far our best player in the playoffs. The notion that PP and Porter are going to step up to that level is doubtful at best. Did you watch PP in the playoffs - he was fine, but nothing like Ariza.

If we are going to get better this year, it is because of the net improvement of Wall, Beal, Porter and Rice + better depth in the FC and an actually backup PG.

It is not because Pierce + Porter are = Ariza.

No, they gameplanned around taking Wall's options away. Ariza happened to be one of those options. Based on your logic we should have picked up Austin Croshere, because he was a beast in the playoffs back in the day.

I think you and others will continue to overrate Ariza's impact until proven otherwise. If it wasn't for Pierce, the Nets wouldn't have gotten past the Raptors. Pierce even at 37 was a very solid player and offers far more dimension to his game than Ariza who is more of a specialist.

Pierce had a bigger defensive impact than Ariza last year despite the age difference, despite the athleticism.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#79 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Nivek wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Well, that's one way of looking at it. I don't think it's the right way, though. :D

The only reason to limit Wall's ability to get the ball in the hands of his shooters is because those shooters are dangerous. Or, at least more dangerous than Wall's shooting.

In general, I think the notion that a PG "creating" offense for a teammate is only half right. What's happening is actually that teammates are working together to create offense. Success is the result of both guys doing their job properly.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek
Head Coach

Post#80 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 pm

Dat2U wrote:Pierce even at 37 was a very solid player and offers far more dimension to his game than Ariza who is more of a specialist.

Pierce was a solid player last season. But, specialist or not, Ariza was good last year.

Pierce had a bigger defensive impact than Ariza last year despite the age difference, despite the athleticism.

At least in my numbers, Pierce's defensive impact was good, but about half what Ariza's was. Big thing that diminished Pierce's defensive impact was his fouling.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Return to Washington Wizards