Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Re: Seraphin signs QO 

Post#61 » by sfam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
thinker07 wrote:I am not a big "conspiracy theorist" but this doesn't really add up. I think the Wiz definitely needed Seraphin as an emergency backup plan if all their other moves couldn't be executed. But after all the signings, there is no way that the Wiz would still want Seraphin.

So -- Was there a private agreement wherein Seraphin secretly signed the QO and this wasn't publicized so he could still field offers or be traded in a S&T? Because if the Wiz had the option to rescind the QO - SURELY they would have done that after the last of the Blair, Gooden, and Humphries deals.

Is this part of something else (as speculated by CSN?) Seraphin does have the same agent as Lebron and Seraphin was mysteriously clubbing in Cleveland last week. If so it would have been planned for awhile. That makes sense to me since the Wiz clearly desire another bench PG or combo scorer and seem to be intrigued by the return of Harrington if he is healthy enough. And it would have had to have been pre-arranged because trading guys with QO's is problematic because it requires their permission AND their Bird Rights don't convey. Recall this scenario back a bit when Nick Young signed his QO and then was traded. So they wouldn't have signed him trying to add a chip to trade at the deadline.

Finally, if Seraphin has true aspirations to be a NBA player, I don't see how he gets another contract next year if he sits on the bench all year in DC. Now $3.9 mil is a lot to walk away from if he's only getting minimum contract offers. But again if he has Lebron's agent then presumably the agent believes that Seraphin is an NBA player and he'd want Kevin on a team where he was going to get to play. And last point, guys that sign the QO almost NEVER resign with that team so the team has very little incentive to showcase the player and have to be concerned with floor disruption by a player who's only agenda is getting stats so he can sign elsewhere.

To me this points to something still being in the works.

Excellent points Thinker, I think you covered all of the angles except the Wizards knowing about some Nene injury that we do not know about. What a mystery. Perhaps it is less mysterious if you just accept that EG is a bumbler who sometimes gets it right.

Say Nene goes down....Humphries becomes the starter and Gooden becomes the immediate backup. But Blair is probably better off at center than power forward and you don't want to give Gooden too many minutes. So you put Blair at the back up 4 spot, and Seraphin becomes the back up center by default.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Nene, Ernie would rather have options and interchangeable parts. Do remember, Nene is playing for Brazil this summer, I can already see an article in the fall about Nene nursing an injury he suffered playing for Brazil.

But the question is would we rather have another middling big man there or use that spot instead for a third PG? To me, the third PG seems like a real need whereas another big seems like a nice to have.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#62 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 pm

sfam wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
closg00 wrote:
Excellent points Thinker, I think you covered all of the angles except the Wizards knowing about some Nene injury that we do not know about. What a mystery. Perhaps it is less mysterious if you just accept that EG is a bumbler who sometimes gets it right.

Say Nene goes down....Humphries becomes the starter and Gooden becomes the immediate backup. But Blair is probably better off at center than power forward and you don't want to give Gooden too many minutes. So you put Blair at the back up 4 spot, and Seraphin becomes the back up center by default.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Nene, Ernie would rather have options and interchangeable parts. Do remember, Nene is playing for Brazil this summer, I can already see an article in the fall about Nene nursing an injury he suffered playing for Brazil.

But the question is would we rather have another middling big man there or use that spot instead for a third PG? To me, the third PG seems like a real need whereas another big seems like a nice to have.

But what's the 3rd PG going to do though? God forbid Wall goes down with something, but if Wall is healthy, the dude is just going to rot on the bench. Also we also forget this, the Wizards still have 2 TPE's left. So if they ever needed another point guard, they could probably trade for one as opposed to starting the year with 3.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,005

Post#63 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Error Afflalo wrote:
TGW wrote:
Error Afflalo wrote:
He probably won't see the court much.

I was reading the Cavs board and they seem to be somewhat interested in Seraphin since they have very little big man depth. Maybe we can finagle a second rounder for him.

If they just him to focus on defending and rebounding, he might be a useful player, since we really don't have any interior shotblocking.

I'd dump him for a second rounder. I still don't know why they gave him a QO.

Yep, baffling...
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#64 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:00 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Error Afflalo wrote:
TGW wrote:
I was reading the Cavs board and they seem to be somewhat interested in Seraphin since they have very little big man depth. Maybe we can finagle a second rounder for him.

If they just him to focus on defending and rebounding, he might be a useful player, since we really don't have any interior shotblocking.

I'd dump him for a second rounder. I still don't know why they gave him a QO.

Yep, baffling...

Maybe EG got smart and is sending him to Cleveland for Brendan Haywood...I know that extra 1.8M is burning a hole in the Cavs pocket... :nod:

Then trade Haywoods Non-guaranteed year next offseason for a 1/8-10M deal(Gerald Wallace/Brandon Jennings, ...) and get a pick...

Maybe combine him with Webster and take on Eric Gordon...

Jeez I'll never give up hope :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,156

Post#65 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#66 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:21 pm

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#67 » by fishercob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm

WTF
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,156

Post#68 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't think we should overreact, he had it a couple weeks back, looks to be fine for camp.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#69 » by MJG » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:I don't think we should overreact, he had it a couple weeks back, looks to be fine for camp.

I don't think we should overreact because it's Seraphin and who cares?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,528

Post#70 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:05 pm

MJG wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:I don't think we should overreact, he had it a couple weeks back, looks to be fine for camp.

I don't think we should overreact because it's Seraphin and who cares?

Wizard fans, that's who cares. It appears as-though we have been Grunfelded once again. Recall that Kevin's knee problem(s) began before we drafted him, he missed time early-on.

Does Ernie have rescue fantasies? I do not understand his fixation with signing injured players. Why bother with $3.8 mil for an injured player who is way-down on the bench unless they have a plan for developing this guy.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#71 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

If it happened a couple of weeks ago, then we had a window to rescind the Qualifying offer and chose not to.

Makes me think we have an insurance policy on that salary -- i.e. we collect back most of it if he can't play?

"Can't play" -- due to injury, that is. We all know he can't play in every other sense. Not at an NBA level. Too bad, he's a nice kid.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#72 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm

No offense but there's some overreaction in this thread towards Kevin's surgery.

Sounds like a basic scope to me.....:dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#73 » by Dat2U » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Overreaction? LOL, we already knew he couldn't play. Shouldn't mean anything that the reason changed.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:24 pm

It might actually be a plus, since its keeping him from playing in international off-season tournaments - which haven't seemed to help him in years past.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#75 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 pm

payitforward wrote:If it happened a couple of weeks ago, then we had a window to rescind the Qualifying offer and chose not to.

Makes me think we have an insurance policy on that salary -- i.e. we collect back most of it if he can't play?

"Can't play" -- due to injury, that is. We all know he can't play in every other sense. Not at an NBA level. Too bad, he's a nice kid.

Insurance will not kick in until 1/2 way through the season, at which point it pay 80%, so it ends up being 40% of the total salary covered by insurance. So there goes the $1.8 million from the 2nd rounder and then some.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,528

Post#76 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm

"NBA Off-Season Winners"
Kevin Seraphin. After drawing little interest on the open market, Seraphin fell back on the Wizards' qualifying offer: A one-year, $3.9 million stay on an improving team empowered with the ability to veto any trade he's involved in. That's a lot of coin and a lot of pull for a player who registered 11 minutes per game last season, some due to injury to Washington's starters.

That deal was only really available to Seraphin due to the uncertainty of the Wizards' offseason. Coming in, Washington faced the free agency of big men Marcin Gortat and Trevor Booker, complicated by the concurrent free agency of Trevor Ariza. When the smoke cleared, however, Gortat was re-signed, Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair were added and Ariza had been replaced by the power-forward-eligible Paul Pierce. Why the Wizards didn't just withdraw their qualifying offer (as was an option prior to July 23) to Seraphin is a bit of a mystery, though he'll earn a nice salary with control over his future as a result of that decision.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/24/nba-of ... ricks-suns
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#77 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:33 pm

Does this fall under the usual training camp story, ie. put on 10 lbs of muscle, worked with shooting coach and can't miss, etc.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:47 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Does this fall under the usual training camp story, ie. put on 10 lbs of muscle, worked with shooting coach and can't miss, etc.?

Wiz need to do a better job of getting their young players on a smart eating plan in their first year - rather than their 4th year. I know Kev, PIF and others are not fans of keeping him at his price, but I think it was a good move. There's talent there, and a quicker Seraphin has value. He gives the Wiz deep depth.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#79 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Does this fall under the usual training camp story, ie. put on 10 lbs of muscle, worked with shooting coach and can't miss, etc.?

Wiz need to do a better job of getting their young players on a smart eating plan in their first year - rather than their 4th year. I know Kev, PIF and others are not fans of keeping him at his price, but I think it was a good move. There's talent there, and a quicker Seraphin has value. He gives the Wiz deep depth.

I'm sure they employ a team nutritionist but again this falls under the argument if the Wizards need to do this for the players or should the players, already earning millions can do this on their own. I remember Wall saying he was working w/trainers to improve his game while McGee sat back and waited for the Wizards to do this for him. Same logic here, how much does a personal chef cost?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 6, 2014 3:00 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I'm sure they employ a team nutritionist but again this falls under the argument if the Wizards need to do this for the players or should the players, already earning millions can do this on their own. I remember Wall saying he was working w/trainers to improve his game while McGee sat back and waited for the Wizards to do this for him. Same logic here, how much does a personal chef cost?

Right, you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink... or even stop them from ingesting a spoonful of cinnamon. It's just that - with an organization like SA - you pretty much know whoever they draft will be on board from day 1 with focus on their job. The Wiz need to be like that.

Return to Washington Wizards