ImageImageImageImageImage

Seraphin signs QO

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Seraphin signs QO 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 am

TGW wrote:Maybe he plays better this year...who knows. If not, he's trade bait.

Why would anyone want to trade for him so they can pay him almost $4m? The kid can't play. He's absolutely terrible.

He's a very nice kid. I was all for drafting him where we did. I thought it was a swing for the fences that was well worth taking. He didn't work out. That's how it goes some times.

Maybe he'd be filler in a trade? But it'd probably have to be one where we took back some other problem on another team. Pretty unlikely.

I don't at all get why we gave him his Q offer. Why didn't we rescind it the instant we had Humphries on the line?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#22 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:30 am

montestewart wrote:
TGW wrote:Maybe combine Seraphin with Miller for Steve Nash? The AARP gang would get a boost from that one.

Wall and Gortat will probably be together for a long time. Having a year of Nash could maybe help them fine tune the P&R. Nash and Gortat meshed well in 2011-12.

I think Gortat has that cover. No reason to take on Nash's crap contract.

I would rather see Ray Allen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#23 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:33 am

thinker07 wrote:I count $73,784,774 after subtracting Ely.

I have 75.2M with Glen total. 14 players.

But 73.5 because Temple and Glen are min contracts. So we could use TPE up to 76.8M if we want.

That give them 3.2M if they wanted to, or just add min salary contracts.

So something like that.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#24 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:40 am

I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but I've always wanted Kevin back. He's too skilled and athletic to simply let go? Will he ever pan out with the Wiz? I dunno. I doubt it. Especially with Witt coaching.

But, as it is our 14th roster spot and we have a solid rotation in front of him, it feels a bit like house money.
In Rizzo we trust
hands11
Banned User

Post#25 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I know I'm in the distinct minority here, but I've always wanted Kevin back. He's too skilled and athletic to simply let go? Will he ever pan out with the Wiz? I dunno. I doubt it. Especially with Witt coaching.

But, as it is our 14th roster spot and we have a solid rotation in front of him, it feels a bit like house money.

Temple and Kevin are my only question marks..

I don't have a big issue with it because I understand having some continuity and neither is going to bitch to much if they don't play. Deep bench players should know they are deep bench players.

Big wake up call for Kevin. He has a lot of stepping up to do. Grace period is over. Its man up or next stop might be Ero ball.

And not entirely happy with Glen being the only back 2, so I guess 3 players. That a 3 of 15 where I think they could have done better and that can have an impact.

But Rome wasn't built in a day.

Its a better team then last year and they got throw an off season that could have left them without Gortat and Trevor A and with who knows replacing them.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#26 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:45 am

Al Harrington = odd man out.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
WallWithTheDime
Banned User
And1: 111

Post#27 » by WallWithTheDime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:48 am

Seraphin is overpaid, with that 3.8M couldn't we have signed some backup sg or pg easily, when ish smith was available or someone else?
surely he won't really get any minutes so wiz are paying him extensively to warm the bench?...no one will trade for him now bad move
hands11
Banned User

Post#28 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:51 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:Al Harrington = odd man out.

Looking that way unless there is an injury.

AH will be the Big Cheese Ast Coach.

Which is kind of cool. They are starting to build a fraternity.
hands11
Banned User

Post#29 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:52 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:Seraphin is overpaid, with that 3.8M couldn't we have signed some backup sg or pg easily, when ish smith was available or someone else?
surely he won't really get any minutes so wiz are paying him extensively to warm the bench?...no one will trade for him now bad move

Well I see it like this. Players will get injured and at some point, someone will need KS.

Thats when we cash in.

Athletic 6-10 280 at 24, 17th pick with offensive skills is something that has value.

Like I said. Wake up call. He has the players around him to teach him and get him to man up.

All in Kevin's hands now. No excuses.
WallWithTheDime
Banned User

Post#30 » by WallWithTheDime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:54 am

hands11 wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:Seraphin is overpaid, with that 3.8M couldn't we have signed some backup sg or pg easily, when ish smith was available or someone else?

Well I see it like this. Players will get injured and at some point, someone will need KS.

Thats when we cash in.

With what he did last year, you think someone would take his contract? and pay him that much , and I thought I heard wiz needs seraphins permission to be traded?
hands11
Banned User

Post#31 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:56 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Thats when we cash in.

With what he did last year, you think someone would take his contract? and pay him that much , and I thought I heard wiz needs seraphins permission to be traded?

Do you think he would not give that permission if a team wanted him ?

Not like he isn't going to get paid. If someone wants him, they need him. He would 100% agree.

Its not like he is Melo.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#32 » by J-Ves » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:56 am

thinker07 wrote:I count $73,784,774 after subtracting Ely.

Most of these numbers are from shamsports.com, but Blair, Temple, and Hump aren't updated, so they might be a little off.
Wall 14.75
Miller 4.63
Temple .92
Beal 4.51
Webster 5.38
Rice .82
Porter 4.47
Pierce 5.31
Nene 13
Hump ~4.2
Gooden .92
Gortat 10.43
Blair 2
Seraphin 3.89
Total 75.23
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#33 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:58 am

I get the feeling that the kid doesn't want to leave and is just accepting his fate. I have always liked him but he will be out of the league shortly until he takes things a little more seriously. With all the veterans on this team, if he can't maximize his talent, even if it's just in practice, he'll never b more than a backup scrub. Not saying he's a knucklehead. Just a little lackadaisical on defensive end.
WallWithTheDime
Banned User

Post#34 » by WallWithTheDime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:59 am

hands11 wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Thats when we cash in.

Do you think he would not give that permission if a team wanted him ?

Not like he isn't going to get paid. If someone wants him, they need him. He would 100% agree.

Its not like he is Melo.

I heard this said before, but if you think about it, with how he's played unimpressively in the past, why would a team A: overpay for him B: Why would seraphin not want to ride the bench and MAKE the playoffs (A playoff team will not trade to get seraphin) WHILE GETTING PAID MORE THEN DEJUAN BLAIR (just signed) and other important players on our team. Why pay someone more who does not produce over someone who is and has more potential of being a better player as Blair and blair should be getting more minutes it's actually insulting to the whole team really since he wont get any minutes this year then a team will sign him based on what he did last year which was not that good? HELL hes making almost as much as Humphries
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#35 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 am

I don't understand this in the context of the other front court signings. I guess there had to be some Grunfeldian moments this off-season.
WallWithTheDime
Banned User

Post#36 » by WallWithTheDime » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:16 am

closg00 wrote:I don't understand this in the context of the other front court signings. I guess there had to be some Grunfeldian moments this off-season.

EG came back to realization that he is EG
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#37 » by montestewart » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:38 am

hands11 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
TGW wrote:Maybe combine Seraphin with Miller for Steve Nash? The AARP gang would get a boost from that one.

Wall and Gortat will probably be together for a long time. Having a year of Nash could maybe help them fine tune the P&R. Nash and Gortat meshed well in 2011-12.

I think Gortat has that cover. No reason to take on Nash's crap contract.

I would rather see Ray Allen.

As has been amply illustrated with empirical evidence numerous times by multiple posters, Wall and Gortat were among league leaders in running the P&R, but were near average in efficiency. Gortat might have it covered, but Wall seems like he has a ways to go.

As to Nash having a crap contract, his contract is one year for $9.7 million. Miller's is one year for $4.6 million, and Seraphin's is one year for $3.9 million. Seraphin's had three years to show he's largely useless, so I look at that trade as Nash @ $9.7 million in exchange for Miller @ $8.5 million. The $1.2 million dollar difference? It's less than what Terd made selling that 2nd rounder, and maybe they can hold out for a future 2nd as part of the deal.

I guess two smaller contracts are easier to move than one larger one, but otherwise I don't see it much limiting Wizards flexibility. And the greater cost? Well, I don't much care about Terd's bottom line, any more than he cares about mine. There may be better deals available, especially if Seraphin shows something (anything?) to start the season.

PS: Nash played like butt last year. Maybe a trade to consider at the deadline, if he shows anything this year and his 3 pointer returns. Otherwise just stick with Miller. And, uh, Seraphin!
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#38 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:43 am

If we sign Ray Allen and Steve Nash, with Paul Pierce and Andre Miller, all we need is Al Harrington to win a title....in 2003.

Steve Nash can still play PNR for about 10mpg. He can't guard a chair. I really am not thrilled with Miller and Nash is just as ancient. Nothing wrong with a few vets but it's getting out of hand. :banghead:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#39 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:53 am

The Wizards couldn't just give $3.8 million to another player. They were able to retain Seraphin because they had his Bird rights.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#40 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:01 am

Nice knowing ya, Khem Birch.

Return to Washington Wizards