ImageImageImageImageImage

Summer League Thread: Quarterfinals, Sam's last stand?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Re: Summer League Thread: Quarterfinals, Sam's last stand? 

Post#141 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 am

mhd wrote:Even thougb he made a bonehead play, I REALLY like Theius. He's just so active all the time. I think Bhirch, Theuis, and Wilson have earned TC invites.

Yeah and Theis is a smart defender, always in the right place, always giving effort even if he doesn't always get it done. Liked that guy. Wsih we had room for him, but I bet he gets a real offer elsewhere. NBA or a big Euroclub.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#142 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 am

Rice and Porter have both improved. They're both confident.

That's a great foot forward for training camp. I hope they can impress the coaches and get consistent minutes.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#143 » by dlts20 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:36 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:Too early to say Rice and Porter are the real things?

yes. Alot of promise but you cant tell if they are real until they do it against the real players

They played against fake players? They weren't real?, we were thinking people playing a f Game of basketball? Basketball is basketball

you can say what you want and I dont want to take any credit away from our guys. They should be proud and Im rooting for them but there were no Kawhai Leonards, Duncan's, Ginobli's, or Parker's on that Spurs team. Those are the real players
WallWithTheDime
Banned User
And1: 111

Post#144 » by WallWithTheDime » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 am

dlts20 wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:
dlts20 wrote:yes. Alot of promise but you cant tell if they are real until they do it against the real players

They played against fake players? They weren't real?, we were thinking people playing a f Game of basketball? Basketball is basketball

you can say what you want and I dont want to take any credit away from our guys. They should be proud and Im rooting for them but there were no Kawhai Leonards, Duncan's, Ginobli's, or Parker's on that Spurs team. Those are the real players

Apparently those fake players made it this far
dlts20
RealGM

Post#145 » by dlts20 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:They played against fake players? They weren't real?, we were thinking people playing a f Game of basketball? Basketball is basketball

Apparently those fake players made it this far

They arent even on the team. 90% of these guys arent even really on there teams. Wiz have a ton of players in the SL and only 2 of them are actually on the team. I mean would you be 100% sure a PG is a star because he outplayed Burton? No. Wall & Beal are watching this game, not playing. Its a whole different level
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#146 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:41 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:Too early to say Rice and Porter are the real things?

We can't tell if they're for real or not until they face NBA competition. But they've DEFINITELY been working on their games and have improved, which is just what we wanted to see.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#147 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:42 am

I think the think we just need to watch them, and see where there per minutes number are when they play in the NBA. they are probably going to be pulling 15-25 minutes a night at start. So, if they can hold down similar per minute numbers and PER they should help the main team a lot.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#148 » by dlts20 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:46 am

I fully expect Rice & Porter to be solid and there game should translate but you just cant give it to them without them actually doing it 1st. The next game is actually the perfect matchup because the Kings maybe have more real NBA talent then any other team in the SL. They have McLemore, Brooks, Williams, Acy, etc. It will be the touchest matchup so far for Porter & Rice. Looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully they arent too worn down
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#149 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:They played against fake players? They weren't real?, we were thinking people playing a f Game of basketball? Basketball is basketball

Disagree. Most of these guys aren't NBA players. That's why it's difficult to judge SL performances. Even Vesely had good games here and Dom McGuire looked like Kawhi Leonard.

Honestly Porter and Rice have intangibles that translate to the NBA we saw in spurts what Otto could do so I don't want to hear it, and what they are doing even in summer league is amazing and will give them sky high confidence

What I like is the chemistry evident between the two. Even if they only share the court as back ups or short term stints, Porter is so smooth and so smart and so savvy he supplements and synergizes with the ragged rough and rugged game of Rice. I can see where Otto fits with anybody, but one thing we seriously lacked last year was a perimter player who doesn't care if its pretty he wants to attack the hoop. Rice does that, and has that desire to take and make everyshot, never gives up on a play always tries to coax the ball in even after contact. And damn kid has pillars for legs, he's tough as hell to knock off balance all the way, manages to twist midair and find the hoop somehow, even when he misses after a foul his shot always has a chance to go in. That plus clutch rebounding and three point shooting? And effort at least on defense? Very happy with this kid and look forward to watching him develop. He's got further to go than the smooth clever Otto who already look sthe part, but Rice just might have more upside. Pretty interesting addition. Love that Wall and Beal got to see the clutch mindset first hand. YOu know John will file that away knowing who to kick to when the game gets dicey, with confidence in the kid to drop it in one way or the other. Love the possibilities in chemistry here. And in saving Beal from Wittman, minutes-wise.

My only thing, I wish we had a bigger role and longer dollars for Sam-I-am. As a player he had a knack for timing and cunning, I love seeing that in his timing on timeouts and the play he scripted. I always have had the sense he'd be a good coach. Respected by refs, cause he's got them huge cojones and a loud mouth. Shoot, promote him anyway. Wittman would make a fine assistant for Sam :clown:
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#150 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:49 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBA/status/490712087824302081[/tweet]
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#151 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:50 am

Illmatic12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBA/status/490712087824302081[/tweet]

John's looking stacked. Bigger and stronger every year.
dlts20
RealGM

Post#152 » by dlts20 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:53 am

doclinkin wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBA/status/490712087824302081[/tweet]

John's looking stacked. Bigger and stronger every year.

Im telling you, everyone will have him on the mount rushmore of PG's next year and alot of people will love him the most out of the group because he's pass 1st (beisdes Paul)
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#153 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:00 am

Glen Rice official player of the day!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#154 » by Kanyewest » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:00 am

80sballboy wrote:
Disagree. Most of these guys aren't NBA players. That's why it's difficult to judge SL performances. Even Vesely had good games here and Dom McGuire looked like Kawhi Leonard.

But the Spurs are supposed to be better at developing talent than us with their player development and 2nd round picks :D
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#155 » by JWizmentality » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:02 am

I'm liking Theis over Birch more and more. Time to sit Orton's fatass down and start Theis. Can we perform a mercy cut of Burton? He be on that fart level.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#156 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:02 am

The spurs were probably the best team we played all Summer league. If we did not have high caliber guys like rice and Porter, our team would have been obliterated.
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#157 » by omegatronic3 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:11 am

I'm pretty pleased with both Porter and Rice. What more can you ask from a summer league match than to see guys in lots of different game situations. Great plan in 2nd OT to set Rice up for the 3 to force the 3rd ot. Those kind of shots are huge confidence builderss. I think Pierce is the Perfect mentor for Rice because I think they are fairly similar. Rice is pretty big and strong for a 2 guard and can use his bodt . PIerce is the master at that.

As for Porter he showed some pretty good ball handling skills..probably better than Ariza. I like when he was agressive going to the basket. He is a glue guy...he makes good passes and sets guys up. As long as he can hit the open J hes in good shape. I'd like to see him down low a little more. I thought he played good D. He still needs to get stronger but overall I think he should definitely slot right in. I think Rice and Porter have good chemistry and should do well together with the 2nd unit.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#158 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:20 am

gambitx777 wrote:The spurs were probably the best team we played all Summer league. If we did not have high caliber guys like rice and Porter, our team would have been obliterated.

Don't forget Ayres, who is an NBA player and that super athletic point guard Bryce Cotton. Thought Sam did a nice job with what he had outside the first half when had to get Garcia and the 7-2 kid from Morgan State in the game.
Whether those two have enough to carry us against the Kings. Not sure. They'll need help from Wilson and Theis.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#159 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:28 am

WallWithTheDime wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Honestly Porter and Rice have intangibles that translate to the NBA we saw in spurts what Otto could do so I don't want to hear it, and what they are doing even in summer league is amazing and will give them sky high confidence

That's fine but temper expectations. The good thing about Rice is he's delivering more from the outside and not just lowering his shoulder and driving. I'm loving what both of them are doing but now is time to take the next step when they get to camp in October. Otto will almost be playing by default due to Webster's injury but Rice will have to earn time at the backup 2. They both have skills that translate but also some weaknesses they have to work on (Otto strength and handles, Glenn handles, passing, D, poise).
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#160 » by theboomking » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:50 am

80sballboy wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

That's fine but temper expectations. The good thing about Rice is he's delivering more from the outside and not just lowering his shoulder and driving. I'm loving what both of them are doing but now is time to take the next step when they get to camp in October. Otto will almost be playing by default due to Webster's injury but Rice will have to earn time at the backup 2. They both have skills that translate but also some weaknesses they have to work on (Otto strength and handles, Glenn handles, passing, D, poise).

Does Rice really have to do much to earn time behind Beal? With Webster hurt, who else of we have that can play SG. I know that Beal logs heavy minutes, but Rice should get immediate burn as the primary backup, and if he does well, maybe we can rest Beal a bit. Am I wrong about the SG situation?

Return to Washington Wizards