ImageImageImageImageImage

Gilbert Arenas is my fav Wizard now

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Gilbert Arenas is my fav Wizard now 

Post#1 » by Knighthonor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Gilbert Arenas called Al Sharpton a coon which he is. That Boule fool deserved every bit of it. I am glad a celebrity was brave enough to actually call that Boule fool out for his exploitation besides UNIA leaders like Dr Umar Johnson and Tariq Nasheed.

Gil has a history here with the gun thing, but this repented all that gun stuff IMO. :D
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Gilbert Arenas is my fav Wizard now 

Post#2 » by Nivek » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Knighthonor wrote:Gilbert Arenas called Al Sharpton a coon which he is. That Boule fool deserved every bit of it. I am glad a celebrity was brave enough to actually call that Boule fool out for his exploitation besides UNIA leaders like Dr Umar Johnson and Tariq Nasheed.

Gil has a history here with the gun thing, but this repented all that gun stuff IMO. :D

What Arenas did was use a racist slur against Sharpton. It's no more laudable for him to do than it is for you to assert that Sharpton deserves to have a racist slur used against him. And no, it's not acceptable for Arenas to use a racist slur against someone of the same race -- at least not in this context. Meaning, Arenas isn't friends with Sharpton, and it wasn't used jokingly or with affection. It was intended as a demeaning insult. Arenas' use of the slur undercut his own point that black-on-black violence needs to stop. Perhaps black-on-black crime could be reduced if guys like Arenas could learn how to treat people with whom they disagree with respect.

And, for what it's worth, Arenas has been my all-time favorite Wizards/Bullets player. I loved watching him play. I loved the way he interacted with fans. He remains one of my favorite interviews. But, I'm disappointed with his use of a racist slur against Sharpton.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#3 » by theboomking » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Well said Nivek.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#4 » by JWizmentality » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:40 pm

HOF post Nikev. Well said.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by Knighthonor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 am

Nivek wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:Gilbert Arenas called Al Sharpton a coon which he is. That Boule fool deserved every bit of it. I am glad a celebrity was brave enough to actually call that Boule fool out for his exploitation besides UNIA leaders like Dr Umar Johnson and Tariq Nasheed.

What Arenas did was use a racist slur against Sharpton. It's no more laudable for him to do than it is for you to assert that Sharpton deserves to have a racist slur used against him. And no, it's not acceptable for Arenas to use a racist slur against someone of the same race -- at least not in this context. Meaning, Arenas isn't friends with Sharpton, and it wasn't used jokingly or with affection. It was intended as a demeaning insult. Arenas' use of the slur undercut his own point that black-on-black violence needs to stop. Perhaps black-on-black crime could be reduced if guys like Arenas could learn how to treat people with whom they disagree with respect.

And, for what it's worth, Arenas has been my all-time favorite Wizards/Bullets player. I loved watching him play. I loved the way he interacted with fans. He remains one of my favorite interviews. But, I'm disappointed with his use of a racist slur against Sharpton.
I disagree. Sharpton is a Boule. He deserves every negative remark Gil gave him. Crime is an issue, but Black on Black crime is propaganda. There is no such thing as Black on Black Crime.
It's just Crime. White on White crime is higher than Black on Black crime, yet we never hear a word about that.

Black on Black crime is propaganda to demonize black people with a stereotype that we are savage criminals that deserve to be locked away as slaves. Read the 13th amendment which freed the slaves. Notice the part about slavery ending unless considered a criminal. That exception is the reason behind the mass propaganda image damage that we see in the media when fox and Boule members like Sharpton promote that nonsense as if its something unique to Black People.

That media propaganda against Black People, is the same tactic the Nazi used against Jewish people in WW2 era to justify genocide of Jews. United States was one of the Nazi supporters, which we hide in US history classes. Same mindset and same tactics. Propaganda to demonize a group of people's global image to justify Eugenics and Genocidal cleaning of Black People, which we know America has been involved in. In fact, the Nazi got their Anti-Semitism from the United States' ideals. European Jews were seen as enemies of the White Supremacy nation of The Nazis because of their Negro Mulatto background. The Nazi considered a Jew to be a European+Negro. Racial Genocide of black people went that deep that they would even kill Black decedents that LOOK WHITE. So imagine what they did to Black people that can't pass for white. I would be here for hours explaining that. I will leave it at this. Gilbert was spot on for calling a Coon Boule like Sharpton out for taking advantage of more black people that are in a emotional position to be taken advantage of. He been a informant and spy in the black community since the start.

People like him shouldn't be cosigned by black people.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#6 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:39 am

What does Boule mean in this context?

EDIT: I found a reference. So it's sort of a corrupted, mutated version of Dubois' talented tenth?
http://www.henrymakow.com/the_boule_-_t ... ll_an.html
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Knighthonor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:53 am

montestewart wrote:What does Boule mean in this context?

EDIT: I found a reference. So it's sort of a corrupted, mutated version of Dubois' talented tenth?

Yes because W.E.B Dubois was the founder of the Boule. I am at work right now. And too much to type to explain ATM.

Edit: and no they were not Boule. Like I said, the Boule was founder by Dubois in the Rockefeller's best interest to take down Marcus Garvey and any Garveyite that followed after such as Malcolm X and Black Panthers.

Maybe you should read more on it before mocking me for knowing something you have no knowledge of. :roll: :nod:
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:55 am

Knighthonor wrote:
montestewart wrote:What does Boule mean in this context?

Yes because W.E.B Dubois was the founder of the Boule. I am at work right now. And too much to type to explain ATM.

Glad to know it started there. I'd be crushed to find out that Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass and Sojourner Truth were Boules.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#9 » by barelyawake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:01 am

Sharpton is a liar and a fraud, who can barely speak English. I'm certain that he has threatened protest and legal action should his terrible show ever get cancelled.

The true civil rights leader of our time is DeGrasse Tyson.

That said, Fox News has been editing everything that Sharpton has said about this incident to spin it as if Sharpton was inciting violence (and he was doing the exact opposite). The hit job they are doing on him is a thousand times worse than anything Sharpton has ever done.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#10 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:04 am

I totally don't want to get into this.
I have a family friend who was with Malcolm X when he was assassinated.
He knows both Jackson and Sharpton and he called them "Poverty Pimps" . I agree.
I think Jackson has relaxed a lot after his son's issues.

Arenas is not the most articulate person, but the context of what he says makes incredible sense.
People need to take the context and not get worked up over secondary issues. I would not have used "coon", but I understand his general points.

What bothers me is that people get worked up and debate faux issues. That draws attention away from the REAL issue. Instead of discussing the fact that another young African American male was killed (by police or another young black man)....we are talking about Arenas' words......SERIOUSLY!!!

1. Murder is murder if it is a white or a black person who commits the crime. I only wish the black community would direct the same passion to making our communities safer. The same people who are protesting (and rightly so) are the same people who live by "snitches are bitches" motto. I see it in Baltimore all the time. If we snitched more, crazy people would not be on the street and all of our lives would be better.

2. I appreciate the spotlight this is shining on random violence on black men...however EVERY life is important and NO police don't kill the majority of young black men. I'd walk up and down the street to protest any youth who dies senselessly. I hope we find out everything about this case before drawing conclusions.

I just can't stand this fake anger that makes someone feel good, behind their glass house, while ignoring the elephant in the room.

This should piss anyone off
http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2010/LCODBlackmales2010.pdf

I'm not attacking anyone.
I just think we should but more effort into fixing the hopelessness of young black America.
Where a large percentage of the black community feels there is zero hope and that the system is rigged against them.
Maybe Arenas didn't say that...but I think that is what he meant.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm

This is a great debate!

Al Sharpton is polarizing. You either love him or you hate him. I found myself getting upset with Al Sharpton representing the family of the young man who was IMO murdered by St. Louis police.

Sharpton has become the voice of many inner city folks who feel disenfranchised. I don't like Al's knack for making situations that are already bad enough into powder kegs of emotions between races. I hate Al Sharpton becomes the story. Also, he has not IMO helped the families of Trayvon Martin or Tawana Brawley win their overall goal of justice.

Having said that I see Al Sharpton as a more moderate presence of late. He has toned up physically, and toned down his rhetoric somewhat since he got his national talk show.

As for what Gil said, I love it!

Just to mess with Kevin and others, who are right about the offensive racial epithet. That word though offensive certainly gets Gil's FEELINGS out.

I am not mad at Gil. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I am disappointed with political correctness. I wish people could use racist terms when they really are racist or when they truly want to be foul. Dont be subtle. When I watch Turner Classic Movies and I see Mickey Rooney dancing in black face I could choose to be offended. But I learned to laugh at how times have changed.

The name Redskins is kinda similar to Coons, if you really think about hard enough.

I say don't think about it laugh about it.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Petey Green dropped the N-word all the time.

The number of offensive terms for African American is staggering. Coon. That's one.

Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am disappointed with political correctness. I wish people could use racist terms that they really are racist. When I watch Turner classic movies and I see Mickey Rooney dancing in black face I could choose to be offended.

The name Redskins is kinda similar to Coons, if you really think about hard enough.

Years ago, I was at a party, and saw a couple I hadn't seen in a few years. I said, "I haven't seen you all in a coon's age," I suppose trying to be folksy (or not). They were a mixed race couple. It was an awkward moment.

It's sometimes complicated balancing respect for others' feelings with sincerity of thought, but that goes for everything, not just race. Recently I was hanging with some friends, and I was the only white there, and the subject of using "African American" versus "black" came up (one of them, fifteen-years of age, had been discussing it in class). I said I use black because it's one syllable versus six, and I'm lazy. It got the desired response.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#15 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:02 pm

I agree, I hate this PC culture. If you are a racist or ignorant you should be able to express your feelings.

While in college, I used to work with someone who was racist. He was ex-military and much older than me. He worked around around high school educated black men. I was the first college educated black male he had close interactions with. I doubt our paths would have not crossed if I didn't have to work my way through school. We would have highly offensive conversations, but I never got overly offended because I respected his opinions. When I finished school and I was going to another company he came up to me and thanked me. He explained that most of the black people he'd been around were ignorant and that our conversations and my attitude showed that he was wrong.

There will always be racism until words or opinions have no meaning. People congregate with what they know (i.e. this board : Wizards). We need to stop taking things so personally. If that St. Louis community understands that 70% of the community is black and 2/50 officers represent them.....VOTE! Put in leaders that represent your interests. Sharpton knows this, but ratings and cash trump everything.
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:56 pm

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am disappointed with political correctness. I wish people could use racist terms that they really are racist. When I watch Turner classic movies and I see Mickey Rooney dancing in black face I could choose to be offended.

Years ago, I was at a party, and saw a couple I hadn't seen in a few years. I said, "I haven't seen you all in a coon's age," I suppose trying to be folksy (or not). They were a mixed race couple. It was an awkward moment.

It's sometimes complicated balancing respect for others' feelings with sincerity of thought, but that goes for everything, not just race. Recently I was hanging with some friends, and I was the only white there, and the subject of using "African American" versus "black" came up (one of them, fifteen-years of age, had been discussing it in class). I said I use black because it's one syllable versus six, and I'm lazy. It got the desired response.

I think of myself as a (big) black man. African American is too PC. It is used to describe people in America who appear to be from Africa whether either of those are correct. Here in Hawaii I see plenty Samoans or people from Fiji or even an occasional really dart Filipino that would be called African American on sight if they were in the DC Area. They look as black as most African Americans.

I don't think you're lazy for saying black, but then again consider me as the source of that opinion. :lol:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#17 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:59 pm

noworriesinmd wrote:I agree, I hate this PC culture. If you are a racist or ignorant you should be able to express your feelings.

While in college, I used to work with someone who was racist. He was ex-military and much older than me. He worked around around high school educated black men. I was the first college educated black male he had close interactions with. I doubt our paths would have not crossed if I didn't have to work my way through school. We would have highly offensive conversations, but I never got overly offended because I respected his opinions. When I finished school and I was going to another company he came up to me and thanked me. He explained that most of the black people he'd been around were ignorant and that our conversations and my attitude showed that he was wrong.

There will always be racism until words or opinions have no meaning. People congregate with what they know (i.e. this board : Wizards). We need to stop taking things so personally. If that St. Louis community understands that 70% of the community is black and 2/50 officers represent them.....VOTE! Put in leaders that represent your interests. Sharpton knows this, but ratings and cash trump everything.

Preach!

That's the whole point. Communicate. Don't suppress individuality or the freedom of speech. I also think one of our inalienable rights should be that we are free to be A-holes if we so choose. People need to stop killing the messenger and just learn to accept the message, or reject it. That guy you talked with learned from your dialog and probably would do right by you better than most others just out of mutual respect. AND still be his racist self ....

I LIKE that Snyder is sticking to his losing argument on the name Redskins. To heck with political correctness. How doggone many years has the team been called that?
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by montestewart » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:37 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:

I think of myself as a (big) black man. African American is too PC. It is used to describe people in America who appear to be from Africa whether either of those are correct. Here in Hawaii I see plenty Samoans or people from Fiji or even an occasional really dart Filipino that would be called African American on sight if they were in the DC Area. They look as black as most African Americans.

I don't think you're lazy for saying black, but then again consider me as the source of that opinion. :lol:

The lazy (inertia, set in my ways, etc) part was mostly a joke. It's more that African American is a narrow and often too precise term. I frequently hear awkward sentences when referring to Africans in the USA (as residents, students, etc), African-Europeans, persons of unknown origin, and the term also excludes people with dark skin (from South Asia, the South Pacific, etc.) that also suffer color based discrimination. I think black is a pretty broadly useful term.

Someday I'll make it to Hawaii, and I'll judge for myself.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#19 » by FreeBalling » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:31 am

I think there are a lot of athletes with guns. Look how much money they are worth. I'd have a gun no matter what the NBA said.

Gil was great for DC and I loved how he donated money to local schools for points he scored.

He's in my top 2. Games were electric when played.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums -
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#20 » by hands11 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:28 am

noworriesinmd wrote:I agree, I hate this PC culture. If you are a racist or ignorant you should be able to express your feelings.

Stereo types exist for a reason. When the group changes, the stereo type changes. One person at a time.

I'll tell you one thing that would make a huge difference is if the worst and nastiest of rap would go away and stop getting celebrated. And if people would stop playing it so loud a gas stations, stop light, etc. You want to listen to it. Fine. Don't make me listen to it though.

There are enough successful blacks now that even they are annoyed by this stuff and speak out to it.

Personally, at this point of the game, I think most of what needs to improve is internal. I'm not saying every law is applied equally, but its also not 30 years ago. Mostly, the biggest thing that remains to get fixed are the drug laws and how people personally conduct themselves. White, Black, or whatever you are.

Return to Washington Wizards