Wizards add Howard Eisley to coaching staff

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Wizards add Howard Eisley to coaching staff 

Post#1 » by keynote » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:40 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/507197357105377280[/tweet]

I know he's not as "fun" as Cassell, but Eisley was a solid journeyman guard for many years in the NBA. He backed up Stockton, so he presumably learned a trick or two (even if he wasn't always able to implement them).

And, I get to make all sorts of Isley Brothers references.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: Wizards add Howard Eisley to coaching staff 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Wed Sep 3, 2014 6:51 pm

Losing Cassell was a good thing IMO. It will be interesting to see the dynamic Eisley & the other new assistants bring to the table.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#3 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm always skeptical of former players being thrust into coaching roles, but in this case, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I like that Eisley has been a player development coach in the Clippers organization for the past 4 years. During those 4 years, they developed Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan. That's a pretty good track record.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#4 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 8:51 pm

^Tbh I wasn't a fan of Cassell's coaching philosophy towards our guards. Not saying Eisley would do better, but it's good to have a different voice in Wall and Beal's ear. I know they loved Cassell, but at the same time they're inexperienced and didn't necessarily know any better.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#5 » by DCZards » Wed Sep 3, 2014 9:07 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:^Tbh I wasn't a fan of Cassell's coaching philosophy towards our guards. Not saying Eisley would do better, but it's good to have a different voice in Wall and Beal's ear. I know they loved Cassell, but at the same time they're inexperienced and didn't necessarily know any better.

Do we really know what Cassell's coaching philosophy toward our guards was? I think Sudden Sam gets more criticism for Beal and Wall's sometimes mediocre play and bad decision making than he probably deserves...and probably not enough credit for the things our young guards learned from him.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#6 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 9:12 pm

DCZards wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:^Tbh I wasn't a fan of Cassell's coaching philosophy towards our guards. Not saying Eisley would do better, but it's good to have a different voice in Wall and Beal's ear. I know they loved Cassell, but at the same time they're inexperienced and didn't necessarily know any better.

Do we really know what Cassell's coaching philosophy toward our guards was? I think Sudden Sam gets more criticism for Beal and Wall's sometimes mediocre play and bad decision making than he probably deserves...and probably not enough credit for the things our young guards learned from him.

Obviously we don't know everything Sam was teaching them. One thing I do know is that he was working with Beal on his post game, and he was teaching Wall how to slow down and change pace in the half court. So that was good.

But Wall kept referencing how Sam was encouraging him to take a lot of midrange jumpers and be a "master of the midrange" which is clearly never going to be Wall's game. That always disturbed me for some reason, and I hope that influence is gone next season.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#7 » by keynote » Wed Sep 3, 2014 9:37 pm

Sounds like reaction to Eisley's hiring is mostly positive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFK6q7kF9Y[/youtube]
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#8 » by montestewart » Wed Sep 3, 2014 10:55 pm

keynote wrote:Sounds like reaction to Eisley's hiring is mostly positive.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFK6q7kF9Y[/youtube]

eISLEY! Yeah! Makes me want to SHOUT!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExvCpP8cHbw[/youtube]

Return to Washington Wizards