payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Bulter will make the final 15 

Post#22 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:03 pm

hands11 wrote:
hands11 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
I'm guessing you wrote this before that utterly putrid second half.

LOL

I did.

Neither has played well for a entire game.

Wait. I meant John Lucas III

Oh I give up.

That'll be the day! (and don't!).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Bulter will make the final 15 

Post#23 » by hands11 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

LOL

I did.

Neither has played well for a entire game.

Wait. I meant John Lucas III

Oh I give up.

That'll be the day! (and don't!).

Man. I wish I felt better about the season this late into the preseason.

I was feeling really good when we added Paul, Hump and Blair and resigned Hammer. And then Otto had a great summer league.

But the injuries to Beal and Hump along with not landing a solid PG/SG or SG back up along with not feeling comfortable with GR past being a defender, and now the JL3 signing .... Its just to much momentum lately in the wrong direction.

The fact that JL3 reminds me of M James/Maynor's love child is just getting me down. Its the straw that's tipping me over.

I once felt 52 wins was in reach. Now I'm feeling a slow start and 46 ish.

I think they can be good eventually when healthy. But last year I under estimated how long it would take them to gel and just how slow Randy would be to adjust his rotations to utilize his non scoring defensive utility player bench. That should have been a 49 win team but they only won 44.

We do have a better bench now. But they have almost nothing at SG right now except a lot of questions.

No Beal or Webster is just crushing my hopes for a good start.

Well, here is some good news. Hump could be back for the opener.
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/10/2 ... rds-season
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Bulter will make the final 15 (Welcome aboard) - RB Thre 

Post#24 » by Nivek » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Congrats to Butler on making the roster. He was bad last season and played poorly in the preseason. Might be this year's Al Harrington. Healthier, though not much more productive, probably.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User

Post#25 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Nivek wrote:Congrats to Butler on making the roster. He was bad last season and played poorly in the preseason. Might be this year's Al Harrington. Healthier, though not much more productive, probably.

AARP united.

Miller 38
Paul 37
R Butler 35
Gooden 33

Hey, if you are going to have some older players, you can do worse then having Miller and Paul be two of them. And RB is fine for what we need backing up SG because he shoots the 3. And he can be cut whenever we want.

If no one pick ups James, then when Webster returns, if James is the better fit then, we might bring him back now that we have a connection. Butler was the right pick for what we need right now to help get off to a good start with Otto being young and playing more and Beal and Webster out until Dec.

SAS has a better AARP still.

Duncan 38
Manu 37
Bonner 34
Diaw 32
Parker 32
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#26 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Perhaps we have our new Maynor. "Never take a chance on a youngish player" is an EG modus operandi

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#27 » by montestewart » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm

closg00 wrote:Perhaps we have our new Maynor. "Never take a chance on a youngish player" is an EG modus operandi

EG has repeatedly grabbed PGs who are one or more of the following: lousy, old, injured, psychotic, or not really even PGs. With that track record and Miller still on the roster, I can see why he's delaying the inevitable, but at some point he's going to need to get a quality (and preferably youngish) backup PG or big minutes combo guard.
hands11
Banned User

Post#28 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 pm

montestewart wrote:
closg00 wrote:Perhaps we have our new Maynor. "Never take a chance on a youngish player" is an EG modus operandi

EG has repeatedly grabbed PGs who are one or more of the following: lousy, old, injured, psychotic, or not really even PGs. With that track record and Miller still on the roster, I can see why he's delaying the inevitable, but at some point he's going to need to get a quality (and preferably youngish) backup PG or big minutes combo guard.

Youngish... why ?

With

Wall 24
Beal 21
Otto 21
GR 23

Why do we need to add youngish guards. We have young guards and a young SF. What they need is the best, consistent production playoff experienced players to compliments that group so they can go deeper in the playoffs right now.

And they have young front court players as well. They have Kevin S and D Blair. Problem is, Blair has old knees. Thats where they could upgrade. Young players better then those two. Khem B or Ed Davis would have been nice compliment pieces. But they are only that. Compliment pieces. For the team to get better, you would need better elite starters up front and they are hard to come by.

When A Miller is done, his replacement doesn't have to be a youngish player. Younger then A Miller was when we got him would be nice but not required. A Miller has been a great fit.

Young and inexperienced will matter less as Wall, Beal and Otto gain that playoff experience themselves. Wall and Beal should have two years of that after this year and Otto should get his first year this year. Once Wall and Beal have 3 years playoff experience each, then they can be less worried about focusing on adding older vets.

Right now, adding these older support pieces isn't an issue. Its actually pretty smart. Just as long as the contracts work in the grand scheme.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#29 » by JWizmentality » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Cool, I'll roll with it. He's gone once Beal and Webster come back.

Are we sure JLIII was let go? Somebody saw him leave the building...I can let go of my security blanket?? :cry:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#30 » by FAH1223 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 pm

hands11 wrote:Youngish... why ?

With

Wall 24
Beal 21
Otto 21
GR 23

Why do we need to add youngish guards. We have young guards and a young SF. What they need is the best, consistent production playoff experienced players to compliments that group so they can go deeper in the playoffs right now.

And they have young front court players as well. They have Kevin S and D Blair. Problem is, Blair has old knees. Thats where they could upgrade. Young players better then those two. Khem B or Ed Davis would have been nice compliment pieces. But they are only that. Compliment pieces. For the team to get better, you would need better elite starters up front and they are hard to come by.

When A Miller is done, his replacement doesn't have to be a youngish player. Younger then A Miller was when we got him would be nice but not required. A Miller has been a great fit.

Young and inexperienced will matter less as Wall, Beal and Otto gain that playoff experience themselves. Wall and Beal should have two years of that after this year and Otto should get his first year this year. Once Wall and Beal have 3 years playoff experience each, then they can be less worried about focusing on adding older vets.

Right now, adding these older support pieces isn't an issue. Its actually pretty smart. Just as long as the contracts work in the grand scheme.

Andre Miller is an exception. He's one of the most durable players in NBA history. One of the top assist men in NBA history. He's a true PG.

However, he lacks range on his shot and his defense isn't good at this point in his career.

Finding a youngish PG who can slide over to the two would add another dimension to the bench, hopefully next year.

Having a guy who can score in bunches and facilitate while Wall rests.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#31 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Nivek wrote:Congrats to Butler on making the roster. He was bad last season and played poorly in the preseason. Might be this year's Al Harrington. Healthier, though not much more productive, probably.

Rasual Butler played only 380 minutes last year, so no one would claim that his numbers this year can be predicted off of them, but I don't see that "he was bad last season" in any sense.

The opposite in fact. He was pretty good in those limited minutes: he shot 42% on 3's and 52% on 2's. He didn't turn the ball over much or foul much. He wasn't awful on the boards either. Not making a big deal out of this, but I can't see how he was bad.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#32 » by BigA » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 pm

To think we might now have this year's Al Harrington on the roster. These are exciting times.
hands11
Banned User

Post#33 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

With

Wall 24
Beal 21
Otto 21
GR 23

Andre Miller is an exception. He's one of the most durable players in NBA history. One of the top assist men in NBA history. He's a true PG.

However, he lacks range on his shot and his defense isn't good at this point in his career.

Finding a youngish PG who can slide over to the two would add another dimension to the bench, hopefully next year.

Actually, he is shocking good at defense. Specially given his age. I read from time to time that he isn't but watch him. He gets down and his arms out and is pretty disruptive. He moves smart and block angles and keeps his hands active. His arms are always out wide blocking as much area as possible.

.68 steals per 15 mins last year. Thats pretty good. And he is strong and will put a body on your and bump you off course. And if he ever guess wrong and is beat, he fouls quickly to clean that advantage up.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#34 » by montestewart » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 am

hands11 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

With

Wall 24
Beal 21
Otto 21
GR 23

Actually, he is shocking good at defense. Specially given his age. I read from time to time that he isn't but watch him. He gets down and his arms out and is pretty disruptive. He moves smart and block angles and keeps his hands active. His arms are always out wide blocking as more area as possible.

.68 steams per 15 mins last year. Thats pretty good. And he is strong and will put a body on your and bump you off course.

Miller does alright on D for his age. I have no complaints about him, but at his age, he's not the future.

A veteran could be the answer in the backcourt. My preference for younger is tied to a lot of factors: durability, stamina, possibly lower price. It would be nice to see the Wizards develop some talent beyond their top draft picks (maybe Rice bucks that trend), but if they get a long-term answer at backup PG or combo guard who is durable, can run the offense, has a decent shot and decent D, doesn't cost too much or mess up long term cap plans, and is a veteran, I wouldn't complain. He should also be handsome, articulate, and able to make major contributions to Wizards marketing. Someone like Jeremy Lin could work. Let's get him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 am

I like Ray McCallum of the Kings as a backup PG. A guy like him or Jordan Farmar would be very competitive, young enough and quick enough to start and not hurt the team in up tempo, transition play.

He wasn't a playmaker but I thought A.J. Price did a decent job a couple years back.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#36 » by hands11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:16 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I like Ray McCallum of the Kings as a backup PG. A guy like him or Jordan Farmar would be very competitive, young enough and quick enough to start and not hurt the team in up tempo, transition play.

He wasn't a playmaker but I thought A.J. Price did a decent job a couple years back.

Sure. That would be fine. But lets make no mistakes about it. If the Wizards are to be elite, a ton of that rides on Double B unless we pick up a player like KD.

Look at who wins titles. Its rarely because of an elite PG except Magic who was huge. Its much more often with an elite SG or SF type. MJ, Wade, Kobe, and now LeBron. Paul Pierce was even that type to a large degree.

I saw a post on the general board with a sig. It said.. Beal has Wade potential. Lets hope that is true. Because if he does, that would help us a ton.

The combination of Wall, Beal and Otto is interesting for sure. But for now, its Beal becoming elite that is most important. Lets hope Otto shows us a nice ceiling as well. Trevor A with handles is closer to Pippen then Webster.
hands11
Banned User

Post#37 » by hands11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:01 pm

montestewart wrote:
hands11 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Actually, he is shocking good at defense. Specially given his age. I read from time to time that he isn't but watch him. He gets down and his arms out and is pretty disruptive. He moves smart and block angles and keeps his hands active. His arms are always out wide blocking as more area as possible.

.68 steams per 15 mins last year. Thats pretty good. And he is strong and will put a body on your and bump you off course.

Miller does alright on D for his age. I have no complaints about him, but at his age, he's not the future.

A veteran could be the answer in the backcourt. My preference for younger is tied to a lot of factors: durability, stamina, possibly lower price. It would be nice to see the Wizards develop some talent beyond their top draft picks (maybe Rice bucks that trend), but if they get a long-term answer at backup PG or combo guard who is durable, can run the offense, has a decent shot and decent D, doesn't cost too much or mess up long term cap plans, and is a veteran, I wouldn't complain. He should also be handsome, articulate, and able to make major contributions to Wizards marketing. Someone like Jeremy Lin could work. Let's get him.

The player on the better teams are players like

Manu, Cory Joseph, Patty Mills
J Crawford, Jordan Farmar
M Miller, Matthew Dellavedova
Alan Anderson, Jarrett Jack
Shaun Livingston, Leandro Barbosa, Brandon Rush
Tony Snell, Kirk Hinrich, Aaron Brooks
Devin Harris, Raymond Felton
Jason Terry, Isaiah Canaan
Jordan Adams, Beno Udrih, Nick Calathes
Shannon Brown, Norris Coles
Jeremy Lamb, Anthony Morrow, Sebastian Telfair
Gerald Green, Isaiah Thomas
Will Barton, C.J. McCollum, Steve Blake
Louis Williams, Greivis Vasquez
Jodie Meeks, D.J. Augustin

Lots of vets in that list.

We have
A Miller, Webster, Rasual Butler, Temple and GRJR

Could we upgrade ?. Lots of names above that would look good here and lots of names we talk talked about. Some of them have even played for us or slipped through. But its not like we have a bad list when compared to other good teams guard back ups. And actually, we could roll one more year with mostly the same list if need be and just change one or two names.

For this year, no way they are moving A Miller so you looking at upgrade everyone else including GRJR

So how do you do that ? Temple I think has a clear role and fits. Someone better then him won't come as cheap. He defends both guards and hopefully continues to shoot the 3 better this year. He has a lot to prove this year. He could be a SAS type if he defines his role well and is consistent. PG/SG. Miller is the anchor vet PG.

That leave Webster, R Butler and GR JR to move and get something that's an upgrade. Not sure that happens this year but next years team could have a big overhaul in that list of names.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99475 ... -2014-2015

Here are some names..

Gerald Henderson (P)
Alan Anderson (P)
Gary Neal
Jannero Pargo
Aaron Brooks
Raymond Felton (P)
Jameer Nelson (P)
Arron Afflalo (P)
Nate Robinson
Will Bynum
Leandro Barbosa
Brandon Rush (P)
Rodney Stuckey
C.J. Watson
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Jordan Farmar (P)
Ekpe Udoh
J.J. Barea
Chase Budinger (P)
Goran Dragic (P)
Steve Blake (P)
Wesley Matthews
Louis Williams
Landry Fields

So who could we get and have a decent back court next year.

Lou Williams might be a nice target.
CDR ?
CJ Watson ?
Gary Neal would be a good target.

There are enough names out there that we should be able to find replacements for our back ups that fit. ANd who knows. Maybe A Miller can keep it rolling and signs with us for cheap. We could save another couple mil. A Miller is actually ranked as one of the top PG back ups using RPM. He comes in 28th at .2.59 with a nice balance of DRPM 0.24 and ORPM 1.85. Not going to get much better then that as your back up. Actually, only Patty Mills is better as a back up.

The Professor is still a very good player. And nothing he does really relies on athleticism so why not play another year?
hands11
Banned User

Post#38 » by hands11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:02 pm

More of the behind the scenes of the R Butler signing. After a day for it to sink it, I really like the addition. It actually brings me more confidence about the SG position knowing he is on the team. Something I don't think I would have felt if it was just Glen or if they added Silas or James.

Butler hit 3s. He is a vet. With Webster out, that is what we needed.

I hope Temple steps it up. I think we can count on his D and the 3 looks like it might be there, but what if its not.
Glen is nothing you can count on even if he is healthy.
Otto at SG is interesting. But we haven't really seen it.

So Butler makes sense and we can get ride of him if he doesn't work out. Its not a Fart thing.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... ual-butler
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 pm

hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I like Ray McCallum of the Kings as a backup PG. A guy like him or Jordan Farmar would be very competitive, young enough and quick enough to start and not hurt the team in up tempo, transition play.

Sure. That would be fine. But lets make no mistakes about it. If the Wizards are to be elite, a ton of that rides on Double B unless we pick up a player like KD.

Look at who wins titles. Its rarely because of an elite PG except Magic who was huge. Its much more often with an elite SG or SF type. MJ, Wade, Kobe, and now LeBron. Paul Pierce was even that type to a large degree.

I saw a post on the general board with a sig. It said.. Beal has Wade potential. Lets hope that is true. Because if he does, that would help us a ton.

The combination of Wall, Beal and Otto is interesting for sure. But for now, its Beal becoming elite that is most important. Lets hope Otto shows us a nice ceiling as well. Trevor A with handles is closer to Pippen then Webster.

Was that by the same guy who said he married Morgan Fairchild? People say stuff - and sometimes stuff that isn't smart. That would fall under the not smart stuff category.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User

Post#40 » by hands11 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Was that by the same guy who said he married Morgan Fairchild? People say stuff - and sometimes stuff that isn't smart. That would fall under the not smart stuff category.

Ok then Ruz.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Personally I don't see anything unsmart about that sig on a sport BB. Sounds like a fan hoping for the best.

Anyway. So what is the official Ruz Beals ceiling ? Just so we all know how to tailor our fandom in a smart way.

Return to Washington Wizards