ImageImageImageImageImage

Welp, suspensions for BS already

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Welp, suspensions for BS already 

Post#21 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 9, 2014 2:45 pm

Why would the league NOT enforce its rules in the preseason?
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#22 » by miller31time » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:13 pm

I have no problem with the suspensions. I just think preseason altercations should affect preseason games. And only when an altercation is serious enough to warrant more games than the preseason has should it transfer over to the regular season.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#23 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:45 pm

Look on the bright side. No Nene/Blair means more time for Seraphin.

Yes that was sarcasm.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#24 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 9, 2014 4:13 pm

miller31time wrote:I have no problem with the suspensions. I just think preseason altercations should affect preseason games. And only when an altercation is serious enough to warrant more games than the preseason has should it transfer over to the regular season.

This makes some sense. Of course, it could be that players might just start doing a little push-and-shove stuff just to get the preseason suspension so they don't have to play. :lol:
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#25 » by fishercob » Thu Oct 9, 2014 4:46 pm

Higga wrote:Meh, it's one game, and if it means we play a tougher style that teams have to respect, it'll be good for us in the long run.

**** the Bulls. Even if it's pre season, it was glad to punk them again. I'm getting really sick of that dirty thug team. I hope we get them again in the post season, we own those donkeys.

The Wizards need to be very careful of embracing faux toughness that devolves into thuggery. What "teams have to respect" are opponents that are good. There is a place for mind games and gaining a mental edge. Declaring yourselves the new Bad Boys in an era that obviously won't tolerate the behaviors that earned the nickname is pretty dumb.

I have faith in Wittman and the players to dial it back. if they don't, it will be very disappointing.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#26 » by JWizmentality » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:12 pm

I think we are overreacting a bit to the whole bad boys thing. Aside from the altercation, have we seen anything these past two games that lead us to believe we are out for blood? Jimmy Butler and Noah have always been dicks.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#27 » by Kanyewest » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:29 pm

BTW,10 years ago, Haywood/Hughes got into that altercation with Hinrich/Davis. We've been fighting for over a decade now!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#28 » by Kanyewest » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:33 pm

Also the Wizards won their opener that year with 4 players suspended.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241103029
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#29 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:15 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Also the Wizards won their opener that year with 4 players suspended.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=241103029

Arenas was out because of a handgun violation

Ohhh the foreshadowing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:33 pm

So... this thread isn't about Christian Welp?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#31 » by fishercob » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:So... this thread isn't about Christian Welp?

Is that like Christian Mingle?
Farmers Only?
JDate? Can't you hear WTA's mom screaming at him: "WHY WON'T YOU JUST CUT YOUR HAIR AND GET ON JDATE?"

"You're not the boss of me, MOM!"

:rock: :rock:
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#32 » by dlts20 » Thu Oct 9, 2014 9:51 pm

fishercob wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I don't mind being tough but I don't like this bad boy garbage. The NBA is going to come down hard if the Wizards lead the league in picking fights and are only about instigating sh-t. What's the point about being a bully if you can't be on the floor? Nene can't even stay on the floor and his dumb-ass leaves the bench only to be suspended again!

Chicago doesn't get the suspensions because it happened right near their bench.

To be honest, if all Pierce is going to bring is hard fouls, trash talking, bullying younger opponents and imposing his will on his teammates so that they are going to become street thugs instead of quality players, this will be a tough team to root for. This team isn't about PP, it's about Wall and Beal. He should understand his role and help them out instead of going that route.

Pierce is bringing exactly what we need. We need an edge. I have no problem with it. Its' not about being the most liked team, bottom line it's about winning and doing whatever it takes to get that mental edge. Just look at the makeup of the roster. We have a big, brusing physical front line. We don't have to be the Detroit Bad Boys, but we should be playing to our strengths.

Um, yeah. Just like the Spurs.

Considering the the Wizards playoff success last year was due heavily to matchups that were determined on the final day of the regular season, getting suspensions for this foolishness is galactically stupid. PLay the game and STFU.

What? Bulls were the hottest team in the East. The Raps lost to the Nets who we owned all year. Who's to say that we wouldnt have beaten other teams in a series? Im sick of people downing our Bulls win. No one in the East wanted to play them at that time. No one. Now because we beat them easily, its whiped away like its nothing
thinker07
Junior
And1: 75

Post#33 » by thinker07 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:29 am

dlts20 wrote:
fishercob wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Pierce is bringing exactly what we need. We need an edge. I have no problem with it. Its' not about being the most liked team, bottom line it's about winning and doing whatever it takes to get that mental edge. Just look at the makeup of the roster. We have a big, brusing physical front line. We don't have to be the Detroit Bad Boys, but we should be playing to our strengths.

Um, yeah. Just like the Spurs.

Considering the the Wizards playoff success last year was due heavily to matchups that were determined on the final day of the regular season, getting suspensions for this foolishness is galactically stupid. PLay the game and STFU.

What? Bulls were the hottest team in the East. The Raps lost to the Nets who we owned all year. Who's to say that we wouldnt have beaten other teams in a series? Im sick of people downing our Bulls win. No one in the East wanted to play them at that time. No one. Now because we beat them easily, its whiped away like its nothing

At the end of the season the Wiz were a loss or two away from being the 5, 6, or 7 seed. Finishing 7 would have matched us up with Miami, 6 with Toronto, and 5 with Chicago. If Brooklyn hadn't deliberately lost a couple games to AVOID Chicago we would have finished 6th. Of the three possible opponents, I thought that Chicago was the best matchup for the Wiz because it would have been near impossible to beat Miami and I don't think we matched up well with Toronto. Still Brooklyn didn't see it that way for themselves and tanked to face Toronto.

The reality is that everyone favored the Bulls but I think they ended up having exhausted themselves in the regular season and the Wiz played great.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#34 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:39 am

Last time the Wizards began the season with a swath of suspensions was 2004, and they ended up going to the playoffs for the first time in eight years. I see this as a good sign.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#35 » by penbeast0 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:53 am

dlts20 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I don't think Orton & Silas have much to worry about.

Hopefully this means we'll start Pierce & Porter at the 3 & 4 for game 1.

nah, Hump will start

mmm. Humphries out, if Gooden is too, we are starting to get more than a bit thin. Seraphin may indeed see a lot of minutes and Pierce/Porter starting looks pretty likely too.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Washington Wizards