ImageImageImageImageImage

Grantland: The Annual NBA League Pass Rankings, Part 1

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Grantland: The Annual NBA League Pass Rankings, Part 1 

Post#1 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:01 pm

It's quiet around these parts. I'm trying to keep my excitement toned down...yes, we are a DC sports team!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-a ... gs-part-1/

America’s Team

Simmons: A.k.a. the 2015 Washington Professional Basketball Team! Guys, you had me at hello. You didn’t have to go and sign Paul Pierce. You had me at hello.

Lowe: I do not endorse this nickname. I do endorse John Wall fast breaks, Bradley Beal stretching his game, Nene’s passing and angry dunks, everything about Marcin Gortat, and Paul Pierce already getting four guys suspended and nearly smushing poor Tom Thibodeau in a Pierce–Joakim Noah sandwich. DeJuan Blair and Kris Humphries were sneaky good signings, and Professor Miller, PhD, is still holding office hours down in the low post for all you suckas. Maybe this team should be higher?

Simmons: I think you’re right. We did our rankings before we found out that America’s Team wants to thug it up and embrace the spirit of the Bad Boy Pistons. It’s a great idea. Maybe they can’t beat Cleveland in a talent show, but they can beat them up inside, use their depth to wear them down, and maybe rattle them with the whole hard fouls/trash-talking/eyeballing routine. It just can’t be forgotten how many key Cavs have never been in a seven-game war. That’s their biggest issue in my opinion.

Lowe: I was just having this conversation with a front-office guy the other day. Sometimes you get so deep in the weeds, you forget about the obvious stuff: Cleveland’s second- and third-best players have never been to the playoffs.

Simmons: By the way, I would have picked America’s Team for the Finals if I hadn’t watched Randy Wittman coach last spring, or if I hadn’t seen John Wall trying (and failing) to run a half court offense against a tough defense in Round 2. They’re a year away unless Bradley Beal comes back from that broken wrist and makes “The Leap.” (INJURY GODS — LEAVE BRADLEY BEAL ALONE!!!!) And even then, they’re a Washington pro sports team, which means they’re destined to choke in the playoffs to a less talented team in the worst possible way. (Cut to Dan Steinberg and Joe House nodding sadly.)

Lowe: I thought Wittman did a nice job against Chicago in the playoffs with some X’s-and-O’s tweaks that worked, but yeah, the jury is still out.

Simmons: I notice you didn’t mention the Indiana series.

Lowe: The only bad thing about Washington being good: No more of Steve Buckhantz, their play-by-play guy, being unable to hide his anguish during broadcasts. I loved that. “Nick Young shoots … and it’s another miss.”
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Re: Grantland: The Annual NBA League Pass Rankings, Part 1 

Post#2 » by FreeBalling » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 pm

My first read of anything from Fart Land and this guy refuses to address the Wizards by their name, not a good start.However, he does address other teams by their names.

Then he's calling us thugs because of finger pointing in a preseason game? WTF. Needless to say, Paul Pierce first Washington Wizards preseason game. There was no fight, however, he blogs about the Wizards being thugs. I take offense to Bill Simmons calling our player THUGS.

Grow a set of balls and man up in life. Keep this in mind....anyone can write a blog for FREE!

I could careless if he like the Wizards.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#3 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:29 pm

I agree 100% that the name Wizards is so heinous and childish that it should never be mentioned. Good on them. Don't like "America's Team" because that's what bandwagoners call "their" Dallas Pantyboys.

But whatever. Nice to get some good publicity. No mention of Otto Porter - I think he's going to be the reason they get 50 wins, not PP.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#4 » by jangles86 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Steve Buckhantz is a legend.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#5 » by keynote » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 pm

FreeBalling wrote:My first read of anything from Fart Land

? You're missing out on some good and/or fun analysis. Skip the Simmons stuff if his schtick isn't your bag, but you should definitely read Lowe and Sharp.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#6 » by keynote » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

jangles86 wrote:Steve Buckhantz is a legend.

Ah, the pained sound of his voice during a bad loss... He didn't intone anger so much as disappointment -- and, later, resignation. His very inflection was #soWizards.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#7 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:26 pm

keynote wrote:

Ah, the pained sound of his voice during a bad loss... He didn't intone anger so much as disappointment -- and, later, resignation. His very inflection was #soWizards.

Yep, believe it or not, I kinda miss those days...

Well, we'll always have "Not Possible! Not Possible!"
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#8 » by Higga » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Wizards is more offensive than Redskins.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#9 » by montestewart » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 am

Severn Hoos wrote:
keynote wrote:

Too Strong would be a good Wizards slogan.
bealwithit
Bench Warmer
And1: 616

Post#10 » by bealwithit » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:49 am

FreeBalling wrote:My first read of anything from Fart Land and this guy refuses to address the Wizards by their name, not a good start.However, he does address other teams by their names.

Then he's calling us thugs because of finger pointing in a preseason game? WTF. Needless to say, Paul Pierce first Washington Wizards preseason game. There was no fight, however, he blogs about the Wizards being thugs. I take offense to Bill Simmons calling our player THUGS.

Grow a set of balls and man up in life. Keep this in mind....anyone can write a blog for FREE!

I could careless if he like the Wizards.

"Fart Land", very creative.

Bill actually loves us and picked us to go to the ECF last year. Knowing his personality, not saying Wizards is just a joke about people calling the Redskins the Washington Professional Football Team (which he actually does do) and of course, Wizards being an awful nickname. And if you somehow couldn't tell from what he said, he loves the Bad Boy Pistons and would like to see us be "thugs", because it would be fun to watch.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#11 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 pm

There's a difference between being tough and acting like a bunch of thugs by laying cheap shots and trying to instigate fights. That crap is only going to lead to suspensions and fines. That type of play helped nearly destroy pro basketball in the late eighties through the nineties and there's no way the NBA wants to go back to that era. We have as much depth up front as anybody in the league. We don't need to be the Bad Boys. Just need to play hard and physical.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#12 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:45 am

Severn Hoos wrote:
keynote wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOwVb2OtyY&sns=em[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY95p_ELquI&sns=em[/youtube]

LOL, I love Buckhantz.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda

Return to Washington Wizards