Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Garrett "Old Dog" Temple Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:13 pm

tontoz wrote:
DCZards wrote:
tontoz wrote:So we signed a redundant wing (with a history of injuries) for the full MLE instead of signing a quality backup pg with that money. Now he can't play.

Well done EG.

So glad you still were able to find something to slam EG about during an overall positive period for the Zards due in large part to the deep, quality roster that EG has assembled. That Webster report must have made your day.

Yeah lets just ignore the post i made about possibly changing to a Temple avy, or the posts i made about getting off to a good start.

I am glad you found a post you could criticize someone for. I am sure that made your day.

Zing!!! what's all that stuff flying back and forth... Zang!!! Ima get outta the way.... zong!!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#22 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:35 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Higga wrote:He's been great. It's crazy how there has basically been no drop off at all from Beal to Temple. I'm sure at some point Temple's #s will drop off but at worst he'll be a solid off the bench contributor.

Hopefully when the drop off happens its when Beal comes back. Beal in an interview said 2-3 weeks.

You know it!
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#23 » by Dat2U » Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:49 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:Temple ranks 3rd in the league in total 3 pointers made.

He always had the possibility of being a 3&D guy - if he could hit a 3 :)

Very nice to see him breakout - One thing I notice is that he is a much better wing defender than PG defender. Although 5 games isn't a very big sample size.

Really a good thing with this quote: Wizards coach Randy Wittman told reporters forward Martell Webster is not making much progress in his recovery from a back injury.

My guess is we don't see Webster this year.

While I feel bad for Martell for the Wizards it's probably a blessing in disguse. He'd only take minutes from Porter & Rice and now Temple. Also his inability to play makes the last year of his contract most likely non-guaranteed and makes a buyout option more a possibility down the road.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#24 » by nate33 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:51 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Very nice to see him breakout - One thing I notice is that he is a much better wing defender than PG defender. Although 5 games isn't a very big sample size.

Really a good thing with this quote: Wizards coach Randy Wittman told reporters forward Martell Webster is not making much progress in his recovery from a back injury.

While I feel bad for Martell for the Wizards it's probably a blessing in disguse. He'd only take minutes from Porter & Rice and now Temple. Also his inability to play makes the last year of his contract most likely non-guaranteed and makes a buyout option more a possibility down the road.

We've got a ways to go on that still. He needs to miss a total of 66 games. He's missed 9 so far. The real mistake was keeping him on the active roster last season when he was limping around and totally ineffective.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#25 » by jangles86 » Thu Nov 6, 2014 6:50 pm

Bledsoe, Dragic, Deng, Lawson, Mayo, Korver, Ginobli, Kidd-Gilchrist, Reddick, W.Chandler, H.Barnes, Jennings, Wiggins, Waiters :lol:
This is just a small list of who Doom is out scoring so far.

I'd take Temple of Dion Waiters right now.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#26 » by MJG » Thu Nov 6, 2014 7:06 pm

He's got another 20 or 30 games of maintaining his improvement before I'm going to start breaking out the confetti, but even if he winds up regressing back to the same old same old, I give the man kudos for stepping up and filling in admirably when we really needed him the most. We definitely would have lost another game or two if he were playing at his career norms.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#27 » by Kanyewest » Thu Nov 6, 2014 8:19 pm

MJG wrote:He's got another 20 or 30 games of maintaining his improvement before I'm going to start breaking out the confetti, but even if he winds up regressing back to the same old same old, I give the man kudos for stepping up and filling in admirably when we really needed him the most. We definitely would have lost another game or two if he were playing at his career norms.

I've already broken out the confetti- even if Temple regresses since the Wizards will soon have a healthy Beal and Webster to fill those minutes.

BTW Temple was showing some 3 point prowness during the preseason

Now, it looks like Garrett Temple and Bradley Beal have more of a shooting competition going on between each other. In his interview with Monumental Sports, Temple detailed his successful encounters with last season's NBA Three-Point Competition Runner-Up.

"We started this about three or four days ago and since Brad's losing now, he says we're gonna go until the end of preseason. So if he's losing after preseason we might go the whole year."

That's some impressive stuff. Certainly Beal hasn't lost his shooting touch, so it's really good to see that Temple has acknowledged his need for improving his shot and focused this summer on doing so. It's perfect timing to hear about this, as Albert recently noted the need for Temple to regain his shooting and offensive efficiencies.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/10/5 ... ompetition
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#28 » by Kanyewest » Thu Nov 6, 2014 8:20 pm

jangles86 wrote:Bledsoe, Dragic, Deng, Lawson, Mayo, Korver, Ginobli, Kidd-Gilchrist, Reddick, W.Chandler, H.Barnes, Jennings, Wiggins, Waiters :lol:
This is just a small list of who Doom is out scoring so far.

I'd take Temple of Dion Waiters right now.

Waiters has a negative PER right now. Ouch!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,972

Post#29 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:48 am

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Good point... I hadn't considered from that perspective.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#30 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 1:54 am

Dooooom is the

12th ranked SG in the league in PPG.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... ing-guards

9th best 3 ball shooter .519 from 3 land on 5.4 attempts with more makes then Klay Thompson at .500%

And

13th ranked Rebounding SG with 4.2

10th in FG % .469

15th in FT % .818

6th in steals 1.60

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

:rockon: :rockon:
flash22
Bench Warmer
And1: 676

Post#31 » by flash22 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:41 am

I had been trying to figure out where the Doom nickname came from.

Then I stumbled onto classic Han Solo shot. Dots were then connected, causing my mind to explode.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#32 » by Wizardspride » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:22 pm

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/11/6 ... evor-ariza

Meet Garrett Temple, the new Trevor Ariza

It is hard to find good 3-and-D guys in the NBA today. In a game where penetration and collapsing the defense is so important, you need shooters on the outside who don't serve as negative players on the other end. It was essential for Washington to fill that role with someone else.

So far this season, they found someone who fits the bill, but it's been an very surprising candidate.

Garrett Temple is shooting 52 percent from deep after shooting just 21 percent from three last season. Temple somehow has been Washington's go-to guy for three point shooting with Bradley Beal's absence.

Temple is averaging 2.6 catch and shoot threes per game, according to Jorge Castillo of the Washington Post. About 55 percent of Temples 9.8 shots per game have been from beyond the arc. Out of Temple's 9.8 shots per game, about 34 percentof those shots are coming with a defender at least six feet away from him, according to NBA.com's player tracking database. A large majority of that 34 percent is coming from beyond the arch.

That means there is action on the floor that frees Temple up for those three point attempts he is knocking down at a scorching rate. About 73 percent of Temple's field goals have been assisted on through five games this season. Temple has not had to create his own shot throughout his stint in Washington, and that hasn't changed.

But here is what has: He has been thrown into the starting lineup alongside John Wall. Wall is getting Temple most of those looks.

This season, Wall and Temple have played 162 minutes together as a two-man combination and have outscored opponents by 17.5 points per 100 possessions, according to Basketball-Reference's lineup data. That figure has already eclipsed the 110 minutes Wall and Temple played together last season, where they were outscored by -0.1 points per 100 possessions.

The sample this season is already much larger and Temple is making the most of his opportunity of playing beside Wall. Wall has created 3.8 three point field goal attempts per game for Temple through just five games this season. Wall assists on 2.2 Temple field goals per game and 57.5 percent of Temple's passes received have come from Wall.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#33 » by verbal8 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:39 pm

I hope it is Temple taking advantage of the opportunties playing along side John Wall(open 3s) rather than just a fluke of low-sample size. Obviously his 3 point shooting will come back to earth. On the other hand his 2 point percentage should also become more respectable with a larger sample size. It is quite possible Temple is now a better 3 point shooter than he has been in the past.

At the very least I hope he can keep up his production until Beal gets back and allow them to ease Beal back in to the line-up.

It is an interesting dilema if Temple's improvement is reliant on Wall creating him shots. Does Beal become a super-sub if the difference in Temple's production is that dramatic?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#34 » by dobrojim » Fri Nov 7, 2014 3:49 pm

My eyes and selective memory tell me GT is a good defensive player but I am wondering
how true that is and if I am falling into the stereotypical mediot kneejerk that if a player
is a poor offensive player, they must be good defensively.

All that said, kudos to GT for his success so far this season. He is doing admirably
well.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#35 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 7, 2014 4:01 pm

dobrojim wrote:My eyes and selective memory tell me GT is a good defensive player but I am wondering
how true that is and if I am falling into the stereotypical mediot kneejerk that if a player

All that said, kudos to GT for his success so far this season. He is doing admirably
well.

I think he is ok on d at the 1, better at the 2.

On his shooting i don't think we can really attribute this to Wall. Wall can't create opportunities but it is up to the player to make shots. Temple made only 6 3s last season so obviously he worked on his shot a lot in the offseason. He almost seemed afraid to shoot last year.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#36 » by verbal8 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 6:47 pm

tontoz wrote:
dobrojim wrote:My eyes and selective memory tell me GT is a good defensive player but I am wondering

well.

On his shooting i don't think we can really attribute this to Wall. Wall can't create opportunities but it is up to the player to make shots. Temple made only 6 3s last season so obviously he worked on his shot a lot in the offseason. He almost seemed afraid to shoot last year.

He has nearly the same number of 3 point attempts already this season as all of last season. He has hit over twice as many 14 vs. 6.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,972

Post#37 » by dckingsfan » Fri Nov 7, 2014 8:10 pm

verbal8 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

well.

He has nearly the same number of 3 point attempts already this season as all of last season. He has hit over twice as many 14 vs. 6.

Not definitive but... http://www.82games.com/1314/13WAS5.HTM

Code: Select all

Stat                         ON Court   OFF Court       Net
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.      106.2       106.0      +0.2
wizfactor94
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#38 » by wizfactor94 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:32 am

The only reason Temple has good games is because nobody pays attention to him.

Once they even acknowledge that he is in the game he is beyond terrible.
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#39 » by benb331 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:18 am

Is the jury still out, or can we declare Temple's incredible (for him) start of the season to be a fluke? He has reverted to the mean in a predictable manner.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#40 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:22 pm

The mirage was nice while it lasted. At least he had good timing, doing it while Beal was out.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards