Interesting article critiquing John Wall/Randy Wittman

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Wizkids12345
Junior
And1: 465

Interesting article critiquing John Wall/Randy Wittman 

Post#1 » by Wizkids12345 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:12 pm

http://bballbreakdown.com/2014/11/20/ar ... john-wall/

Talking about John taking more pull up two pointers than anyone else in the league. I've been saying that Randy Wittmans philosophy of taking any open shot they have is hurting the development of Wall and the wizards. Watching John play at times can be maddening when he settles for pull up jumpers. Part of this is Wittman telling him its ok to do that. These are some of the reasons why we go through so many stretches of terrible offense where we cant score. Too many possesions end in 17 foot postups with gortat/nene or john wall pullup midrange jumpshots which are extremely inefficient. If John can just learn to try to beat the big man when he switches instead of pulling up or even just keeping the dribble alive for another second, he would be able to find more situations where a pocket pass would be available or if the weakside defender cheats in a little his signature crosscourt corner three pass. Just keeping the dribble alive for a little longer instead of settling.

I do thing the fact that the only coaches he has ever played for in Randy Wittman and Flip Saunders who shoot more mid range jumpers than any other coaches has hurt his development. This offense is not playing towards John Walls strengths. I would love to see him in another more spaced out offense that isnt always playing inside out.
Swaggy P is too mainstream now
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Re: Interesting article critiquing John Wall/Randy Wittman 

Post#2 » by dckingsfan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Interesting... could you post in:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1356679
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#3 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm

I haven't been that upset at Wall's mid range shots this year, oddly enough. He's made s good chunk of them and they're generally within the construct of the offense. What bothers me are the floaters that don't even hit the rim.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#4 » by Kanyewest » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm

The mid-range jumper with 17 seconds on the shot clock bothers me. I know Wall is shooting worse than last year from 3 but I would still hope he takes more 3s.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#5 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Midrange jumpers aren't the problem,imo. JWall needs to be able to take and make short and midrange jumpers. It's the long jumpers(18-20 feet) that are a problem.
Wizkids12345
Junior
And1: 465

Post#6 » by Wizkids12345 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

DCZards wrote:Midrange jumpers aren't the problem,imo. JWall needs to be able to take and make short and midrange jumpers. It's the long jumpers(18-20 feet) that are a problem.

It's more of the fact that john wall shouldn't be shooting this shot more than anyone else in the nba and he needs to learn to keep his dribble alive sometimes and dissect the defense. Passing up a good shot for a great shot.
Swaggy P is too mainstream now
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#7 » by tontoz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Last season Wall had the 4th most attempts from 15-22 feet in the NBA. Beal was 6th. They shot 36.5% and 38.1% respectively.

Only 1 guy in the top 30 in attempts shot them worse than Wall. Josh Smith

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rder_by=fg
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#8 » by Higga » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm

I can't stand those long 2 pointers either. I'm fine with the mid range but I want to puke everytime we jack up a 2 pointer that's like a step in front of the 3 point line. It's just such an inefficient shot. Take a step or two back and make it a 3 or go for an easier shot.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#9 » by Nivek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Basically, Seth has done a summary of some posts on this message board over the past few years. His analysis is correct.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#11 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am

I don't cringe now when he shoots it. That's something, I guess.
In Rizzo we trust
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#12 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:54 am

I suggested he give up on the floater. I thought it was affecting his other shots.

Wall is not a smooth shooter and that touch shot I think was making him shoot his other shots as touch shots when they should have been mechanics form shots.

He shot one semi floater last game. If was more a delayed semi floater jumper. His other shoots looked great.

I have no problem with the mix I saw last game.

Drive
Elbow
three ball
Free throws

Thats all he should shoot.

Screw the floater.

Return to Washington Wizards