80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: GT 37: Wiz at ATL January 11th 3pm 

Post#281 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 pm

miller31time wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
miller31time wrote:
Nah, we just need a solid third guard that can competently play during games when Miller doesn't matchup well.

Dre just doesn't do well with quicker guards. And that should go without saying. He's 80 years old.

Name a guard slower than Miller.

By "quicker" I wasn't comparing opposing guards to Miller. I was comparing opposing guards to the league average.

People have very selective memory with Andre Miller. Let's not forget that when he has a favorable matchup, he is absolutely lethal and part of the reason our 2nd unit has performed almost as well as our starters for long stretches.

Lots of undeserved hate for Old Man Miller.

Against key teams that we have to compete against-Atlanta and Chicago-he is out of his element because they have quicker backup point guards. Much quicker. He's an upgrade from Eric Maynor and did a nice job last year. But come on. We want to push the pace most of the game, that is until Miller comes in. Then we have to have somebody like Beal, Butler or Porter push it because Miller can't.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#282 » by montestewart » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, that was a statement game, fo sho!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#283 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:20 pm

miller31time wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
miller31time wrote:
Nah, we just need a solid third guard that can competently play during games when Miller doesn't matchup well.

Dre just doesn't do well with quicker guards. And that should go without saying. He's 80 years old.

By "quicker" I wasn't comparing opposing guards to Miller. I was comparing opposing guards to the league average.

People have very selective memory with Andre Miller. Let's not forget that when he has a favorable matchup, he is absolutely lethal and part of the reason our 2nd unit has performed almost as well as our starters for long stretches.

When he has a 'favorable' matchup ie when he takes it upon himself to break the offense, and spends the entire shotclock backing down some midget PG?

We would be much better with a fast-paced point guard who can get in the lane and wreak havoc.

I don't care if Miller can post up Westbrook once in a blue moon and score, big whoop. Over the course of the game he hurts us with his lack of defense and footspeed. The Hawks realized that they aren't good enough to be able to have major holes in their bench.. they need a strong, cohesive bench to compete and they went out and got it. Washington needs to realize the same thing.
bealwithit
Bench Warmer
And1: 616

Post#284 » by bealwithit » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:21 pm

miller31time wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
miller31time wrote:

Obviously Dre can still play given the right matchup, but the guards in the East we will be playing against are going to shred him come playoff time. The Bulls have Rose and Brooks, Hawks today with Teague and Schroder, and the Raps with Lowry and Vasquez. Vasquez isn't as athletic as those other guys but he is a good player in his own right.

We need to get another PG somehow.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#285 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:22 pm

80sballboy wrote:
miller31time wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Against key teams that we have to compete against-Atlanta and Chicago-he is out of his element because they have quicker backup point guards. Much quicker. He's an upgrade from Eric Maynor and did a nice job last year. But come on. We want to push the pace most of the game, that is until Miller comes in. Then we have to have somebody like Beal, Butler or Porter push it because Miller can't.

Without a competent backup like Miller, we wouldn't be able to beat many of the poor teams this season, thus making those matchups with "elite teams" meaningless because we wouldn't be at their level to make it a rivalry game.

The key is finding a third guard who can supplant Miller on bad matchup teams.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#286 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:23 pm

It was all about turnovers and lack of defense.

You don't want 3-point shooters to get into a rhythm from distance. You have to make them do something else and live with it. You fly at Korver and make him drive and he gets 2, okay. Make him drive and hope your help defense is superior to his doing something out of his comfort zone.

(In the old days, it was like making Jason Kidd a jump shooter rather than a passer. You'd live with his every-so-often 3s.)
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#287 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Porter wasn't ready to play. He was horrendous in first half. Nobody was really ready. Randy should just play the end of the bench and rest the starters. Old man hoops doesn't work against this team.

Porter may have played bad, but what the **** has Webster done that's worthy of 1 second of additional playtime. Last time I checked Webster missed 2 out of 3 free throws, and bricked everything, WIttman is blind

He only played 5 minutes missed one shot and turned it over once. give him minutes regardless

This is the key reason why we need to bring in some youth, to bolster the team. bring in a young guard and a young big. I hate to say it but we might be last years golden state. A great team but under coached. I like wittman he is no where near the worst coach in the league but if we had someone better steering the ship, we might not be in some of the spot that this team gets into.

last years GSW is something I have compared this team to in the past. And that was to show how far they have come.

ATL. That is something totally different going on right there. They have been in the playoffs like 7 of the last 8 years. That franchise has been building for a while. Its just people thought they were retreads. Looks like they found a formula.

I see very few teams that can match what I just saw. Its a unique style that other teams are no build to stop. ATL is going to be touch against anyone.

This has nothing to do with the Wizards being good or not. That ATL team was sick.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#288 » by cdouglas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm

We need to figure out how to turn this around and make a trade. I'm still bothered by the fact that the Wiz decided to pay Webster over Ariza.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#289 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Interesting game thread. Epic tantrum by WWD. Predictable loss. At 25-12 the Wizards are still doing alright.

Next game..
cdouglas
Veteran

Post#290 » by cdouglas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Interesting game thread. Epic tantrum by WWD. Predictable loss. At 25-12 the Wizards are still doing alright.

Next game..

I agree, I think the Wiz needs to definitely consider a trade. Atlanta isn't that much better than us, we didn't play with the same intensity and we didn't have anyone who was consistent at the 3 point line.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#291 » by deneem4 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Atlanta is like golden state...where they have shooters everywhere
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#292 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:45 pm

:o I missed the annihilation, must have been a clinic.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#293 » by FreeBalling » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:I'm rooting for the Hawks now, bye.

I'll hold you to that.

Bye.

WTF, just say you had to many....It's ok to vent.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#294 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:48 pm

cdouglas wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Interesting game thread. Epic tantrum by WWD. Predictable loss. At 25-12 the Wizards are still doing alright.

Next game..

I agree, I think the Wiz needs to definitely consider a trade. Atlanta isn't that much better than us, we didn't play with the same intensity and we didn't have anyone who was consistent at the 3 point line.

Agree CCJ - move on.

Agreed cd - need a trade because right now they are solidly better than we are...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#295 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:50 pm

We have needed a quality backup pg for years. Sadly Miller is the best we've had and he gets torched by quick pgs. Spending the full MLE on Webster then signing Maynor really set this team back.

We need to get the turnovers under control. I have to wonder what they are doing in practice. They need to be working on basic fundamentals so they don't keep making the same mistakes in games.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#296 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:54 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
WallWithTheDime wrote:I'm rooting for the Hawks now, bye.

I'll hold you to that.

Bye.

WTF, just say you had to many....It's ok to vent.

What you do in regards to the Redskins is venting.

What he did was on another level entirely.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#297 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 pm

tontoz wrote:We have needed a quality backup pg for years. Sadly Miller is the best we've had and he gets torched by quick pgs. Spending the full MLE on Webster then signing Maynor really set this team back.

Supposedly, we have an interest in Jameer Nelson but personally, I'm not thrilled about that option either.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
cdouglas
Veteran

Post#298 » by cdouglas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Can we trade both Webster and Blair and can we afford both Nelson and Allen if he chooses to play for DC?
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,380

Post#299 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm

The only team good team in the east that doesn't scare me going into a playoff series is Chicago. Atlanta, Toronto could both beat us handily in a series, and even Cleveland could give us a lot of problems imo. We desperately need to find a scorer off the bench who can create and consistently give us 12-15 points a night.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#300 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 pm

cdouglas wrote:Can we trade both Webster and Blair and can we afford both Nelson and Allen if he chooses to play for DC?

And we get older....

No thanks. :(

Return to Washington Wizards