Countdown to Don Newman Being Named Interim Head Coach

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Re: Countdown to Don Newman Being Named Interim Head Coach 

Post#81 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:52 am

I think Skiles is essentially a better version of Randy Wittman. He's a no-nonsense type of coach who can teach professionalism and attention to detail. He's a guy you use to develop a bad young team into a solid one. But he's not necessarily the most innovative guy in the world, and he rubs guys the wrong way over time. He's not a guy who will win you titles.

At this stage in our development, Skiles is not the kind of coach I want. I want an up-and-coming assistant coach from a good Western Conference team who understands analytics.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#82 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:18 pm

nate33 wrote:I think Skiles is essentially a better version of Randy Wittman. He's a no-nonsense type of coach who can teach professionalism and attention to detail. He's a guy you use to develop a bad young team into a solid one. But he's not necessarily the most innovative guy in the world, and he rubs guys the wrong way over time. He's not a guy who will win you titles.

At this stage in our development, Skiles is not the kind of coach I want. I want an up-and-coming assistant coach from a good Western Conference team who understands analytics.

Meh, that sounds like what people said about Rick Carlisle when he was fired by Detroit - or Buck Schowalter (sp?) before he was hired by the O's. I think both of them are the best coaches in their respective sports.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#83 » by gtn130 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:20 pm

Skiles would be terrible. No thanks
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#84 » by Dat2U » Mon Mar 2, 2015 4:12 pm

Induveca wrote:Gary Williams.....if that were to happen I think I'd finally truly consider giving up after 20+ years.

I'd feel the same about Sam Cassell; and folks think we take too many mid-range shots now, LOL.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#85 » by FAH1223 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think Skiles is essentially a better version of Randy Wittman. He's a no-nonsense type of coach who can teach professionalism and attention to detail. He's a guy you use to develop a bad young team into a solid one. But he's not necessarily the most innovative guy in the world, and he rubs guys the wrong way over time. He's not a guy who will win you titles.

Meh, that sounds like what people said about Rick Carlisle when he was fired by Detroit - or Buck Schowalter (sp?) before he was hired by the O's. I think both of them are the best coaches in their respective sports.

Thing with Skiles is... it always ends badly with him.

Like nate said, we need a young coach who knows analytics.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#86 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:29 pm

One old guy I might consider would be Alvin Gentry, primarily from an offensive perspective. He's not high on my list, but I wouldn't be upset if he was in the mix.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,966

Post#87 » by dckingsfan » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:34 pm

As long as we replace the GM first and have a plan - go for it...
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#88 » by LyricalRico » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:45 pm

LyricalRico wrote:One old guy I might consider would be Alvin Gentry, primarily from an offensive perspective. He's not high on my list, but I wouldn't be upset if he was in the mix.

I was basing that on his time in PHX, but didn't know where he was currently. Just noticed Gentry sitting next to Kerr on the GSW bench. Yep, he should definitely be on the list for next year's Wizards coach.

:nod:
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#89 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:53 pm

Let's just hope that reports are wrong and that Wittman is going to get the Ax sooner than later.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#90 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:59 pm

I'd look at Newman or Cassell first. As far as retreads I'd consider Nate McMillan, possibly D'Antoni.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#91 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:09 pm

I would put Avery Johnson on that list!
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#92 » by gtn130 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 11:48 pm

Why do you guys want retreads? I don't get it. I'd much rather have an assistant held in high regard than a former head coach who has already proven he can't get it done.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#93 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 12:19 am

gambitx777 wrote:Let's just hope that reports are wrong and that Wittman is going to get the Ax sooner than later.

I am against Randy being fired because an interim coach would get a boost out of the team sufficient to justify keeping Ernie around until he has to fire his 4th coach. Justified in Ted'' s mind anyway.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#94 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 9, 2015 12:32 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:As far as retreads I'd consider Nate McMillan, possibly D'Antoni.

McMillan actually strikes me as another Randy - old school guy that just says "play hard and play defense". He's never been more than mildly successful. And D'Antoni has been a failure everywhere that he hasn't had Steve Nash as his PG.

gambitx777 wrote:I would put Avery Johnson on that list!

Another "no" IMO. Another old school guy who's players tune him out early.

gtn130 wrote:Why do you guys want retreads? I don't get it. I'd much rather have an assistant held in high regard than a former head coach who has already proven he can't get it done.

I'm pretty much against retreads, too. I just listed Gentry because of his history with high powered offenses in Phoenix and Golden State. Even so, I already said he wouldn't be at the top of the list. But he's about the only retread I'd like to see them interview.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#95 » by gambitx777 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 1:10 am

LyricalRico wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:As far as retreads I'd consider Nate McMillan, possibly D'Antoni.

McMillan actually strikes me as another Randy - old school guy that just says "play hard and play defense". He's never been more than mildly successful. And D'Antoni has been a failure everywhere that he hasn't had Steve Nash as his PG.

gambitx777 wrote:I would put Avery Johnson on that list!

Another "no" IMO. Another old school guy who's players tune him out early.

gtn130 wrote:Why do you guys want retreads? I don't get it. I'd much rather have an assistant held in high regard than a former head coach who has already proven he can't get it done.

I'm pretty much against retreads, too. I just listed Gentry because of his history with high powered offenses in Phoenix and Golden State. Even so, I already said he wouldn't be at the top of the list. But he's about the only retread I'd like to see them interview.

I think it needs to be said that "Old School" is not bad. When old school is done badly, is when it is bad Johnson and D'Antoni would be solid HC's for Wall. you have to remember that their last jobs , they got **** with bad teams, old players and injuries!
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#96 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat May 2, 2015 10:20 pm

Here we go...

Newman vs. Wittman vs. Budenholzer
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#97 » by keynote » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:10 pm

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#98 » by fishercob » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:15 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/606521972730785792[/tweet]
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#99 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:32 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#100 » by TGW » Thu Jun 4, 2015 7:35 pm

LOL another case of the assistant being a better coach than the head coach. Same thing happened with Thibs and Jordan.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards