ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Thread - Wizards vs Thunder (1/21/15)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Who will prevail?

Representing the most powerful city in the world...
75%
KD's future former team
25%

Total votes: 8

stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Re: Official Thread - Wizards vs Thunder (1/21/15) 

Post#341 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:19 am

keynote wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
keynote wrote:Not sure why Beal was "guarding" Westbrook on that play. Wall had 5 fouls, but who cares?

Um we do. Seeing as we'd need him for the next OT period, he couldn't foul.

The problem was Beal gambled for the steal and **** up. And then the bigs didn't pick him up as he went to the basket, they stuck to their guys and didn't rotate. Not sure why people think that was Wall's fault.

I still think you put Wall on Westbrook for that play. If Westbrook draws a foul, he's shooting 2 FTs. The game is all but over anyway.

3.6 seconds is a good leverage situation for the defense. If they simply do their jobs then it's on to the next OT period. You absolutely don't put the star with 5 fouls on their PG who draws fouls relentlessly and had been getting all kinds of **** from the refs all night. The problem was the defense broke down.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#342 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 am

80sballboy wrote:Two great players off a back to back beat an entire team that shot like garbage. Nene played great. Nobody protected the rim

What if Nene didn't pick up two quick fouls. He could have kept wearing them out.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#343 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 am

JWizmentality wrote:I'm starting to lose my patience with Beal and no amount of "He's only 21" thought therapy is working. He can't put the ball on the floor, and when he does he dribbles into traps and ends up turning the ball over, he can't shoot a midrange shot worth a damn or any shot inside the 3pt line with any reasonable consistency, and when his 3pt shot isn't falling he's damn near unwatchable. His good games are far too few and far too apart. I cringe now every time someone talks about backcourts of the future and bring up our guys because I know only one guy is holding up his end.

Someone talk me off the ledge on Beal...:-(

Beal almost had a triple double last time we played OKC.

He's just slumping.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#344 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:21 am

Bravenewworld wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Good first half

Horrible 2nd half

Beal really sucks.

And just think, we offered you Harden for him.

Good game guys. The fake goal tending call had me ready to take a baseball bat to my tv, but whatever.

OKC drew way more bs phantom calls throughout the course of the game, gtfoh
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: 

Post#345 » by dlts20 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:21 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Loss on John Wall.

loss on Wall? No way. Wall easily has a career high in assist if guys made shots. He got our best shooters wide and I mean wide open shots that they were missing all night
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#346 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 am

keynote wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
keynote wrote:
The Thunder went small.

I think with 3.6 seconds you could just have Gortat protect the rim and switch everything else. It isn't quite as big a dumb move when Vogel took Hibbert out on that LBJ gamewinner, but why is your best/2nd best defensive big man not in the game on a 3.6 possession? Small ball be damned, he's athletic enough to keep up for a second or two if need be in that situation.

Good point. Fair enough. I do hate taking out a rim protector when the other guys go small. OTOH, that would've left us with Nene guarding Durant off of a screen.

Nene's first step is good enough in that situation where he could hold on until help arrived via a rotation.
Bravenewworld wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Good first half

Horrible 2nd half

Beal really sucks.

And just think, we offered you Harden for him.

Good game guys. The fake goal tending call had me ready to take a baseball bat to my tv, but whatever.

There were bad calls both ways. Beal did underperform but at least he isn't quite as bad as harden is in the playoffs :P , and while i'm sad we lost, I wouldn't mind playing OKC on a larger stage, say, the finals ;)

Durant scares me and so does Westbrook but the rest of the thunder are rather unspectacular. Adams is decent I suppose, Ibaka...just doesn't seem as big a factor anymore :/ Make advantage of ya'lls two year window!
hands11
Banned User

Post#347 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:23 am

JWizmentality wrote:I'm starting to lose my patience with Beal and no amount of "He's only 21" thought therapy is working. He can't put the ball on the floor, and when he does he dribbles into traps and ends up turning the ball over, he can't shoot a midrange shot worth a damn or any shot inside the 3pt line with any reasonable consistency, and when his 3pt shot isn't falling he's damn near unwatchable. His good games are far too few and far too apart. I cringe now every time someone talks about backcourts of the future and bring up our guys because I know only one guy is holding up his end.

How did you feel about Wall 2.5 years into his career ?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#348 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI39fk_2fHs[/youtube]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#349 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25 am

hands11 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Two great players off a back to back beat an entire team that shot like garbage. Nene played great. Nobody protected the rim

What if Nene didn't pick up two quick fouls. He could have kept wearing them out.

He played 34 minutes tonight. That's a lot for him. He's really supposed to be a 25-30mpg guy with his plantar fascitis.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#350 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 am

I thought the bench stunk tonight. One point from Otto. Miller was dreadful. Seraphin had 9pts but just 2 rebs and stunk defensively. Butler was ok with 9 and 6 but had 2 TOs. Hump with 9 rebs but just 4pts. I thought he passed up at least 2 shots right under the basket.
hands11
Banned User

Post#351 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
keynote wrote:Not sure why Beal was "guarding" Westbrook on that play. Wall had 5 fouls, but who cares?

Um we do. Seeing as we'd need him for the next OT period, he couldn't foul.

The problem was Beal gambled for the steal and **** up. And then the bigs didn't pick him up as he went to the basket, they stuck to their guys and didn't rotate. Not sure why people think that was Wall's fault.

Nene did try to rotation was Westy is Wall fast. He couldn't get there.

Paul had good position, but if you watch the reply, Adams gets is knee into Pauls left legs from behind and buckets basically leaving Paul stumbling to the ground, which is what you see him doing at the end of the play.

Its basically that old HS trick you would do to your friends where you come up behind them and get your knee into the back of their knee and made them stumble.

Adams is like that.

The problem was Beal. He should have never followed Westbrook out to almost half court. He needed to stay between him and the basket. Beal totally blow the coverage and didn't give the 2nd line any change against someone as fast, aggressive and as good a leaper as Westbrook
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#352 » by nuposse04 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 am

The most annoying part of this loss is how we are going to overly react (myself included) until Friday when POR finds another way to butt **** us.

So one thing I'm beginning to dislike: Miller
One thing I'm beginning to like: Random Nene 3 pt attempts (Just cause I know they must vex Randy ever-so-much).
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#353 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 am

hands11 wrote:

He was probably one of the people saying to trade Wall for picks. Ignore dude's bs rant
hands11
Banned User

Re: Re: 

Post#354 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 am

dlts20 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Loss on John Wall.

loss on Wall? No way. Wall easily has a career high in assist if guys made shots. He got our best shooters wide and I mean wide open shots that they were missing all night

And Wall scored like 8 straight pts to get them back in the game when they were down the most
hands11
Banned User

Post#355 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 am

Wizardspride wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI39fk_2fHs[/youtube]

You don't even have to watch the video.

Just look at the first frame. Beal is 4 feet behind Westbrook.

Nene is out to deep to recover and get in front of him. Westbrook knows that so he just made a hard drive right to the rim.

But watch what happens to Paul as Adams trips him putting him in the mud as he stumbles even after the play.

Its was a tripping foul on Adams. Just focus on Adams left foot and Pauls left foot. Ignore the rest of the play and you will see it.

Vet savvy mode by Adams. But it is a tripping foul.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#356 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:42 am

Imagine if Wall even had half the aggressiveness of Russ.

Wall got the ticky tack 5th foul and that basically was the ball game. Beal guarding Westbrook was not going to end well and it ultimately didn't,

Pierce did a great job on KD but there's only so much you can do. We missed Ariza in a matchup like this tonight, those youthful legs and wing span could have hampered KD a little bit more. Which was so vital last season.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#357 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 am

Illmatic12 wrote:

Beal almost had a triple double last time we played OKC.

He's just slumping.

He's always slumping! Last year he had a two month "slump". At what point do we say Beal is just sucking?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#358 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 am

hands11 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI39fk_2fHs[/youtube]

You don't even have to watch the video.

Just look at the first frame. Beal is 4 feet behind Westbrook.

Nene is out to deep to recover and get in front of him. Westbrook knows that so he just made a hard drive right to the rim.

But watch what happens to Paul as Adams clips out his left leg putting him in the mud as he stumbles through and even after the play.

Its was actually a foul on Adams. But no way they would call it.

I just looked at it again and I see what happened.

Beal took his attention off Westbrook and looked back at the guy inbounding the ball.

Westbrook then broke to the basket and the rest is history.....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#359 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:45 am

hands11 wrote:

Okay, I feel a little better...not much, but a little. :cry:

I could still take Beal in a game of HORSE as long as we shoot inside the 3pt line.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#360 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 am

I was at the game. Good crowd, good energy.

Wall got his lunch stolen by Westbrook who proceeded to kick his ass up and down the court. Complete defensive domination.

Lordy lordy.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.

Return to Washington Wizards