ImageImageImageImageImage

The Dejuan Blair Appreciation Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

The Dejuan Blair Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:15 am

What Randy Wittman doesn't know is that Blair is better than Seraphin and he's done something no other Wizard has done. (See game logs below)

Wizardspride wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Wizards would be doing much better giving Blair the 15-25 minutes they give Seraphin each game.

I don't really see it, CCJ.

I think Blair is OK but I don't think he's as talented as Kevin.

Especially from an offensive standpoint.

Do you see Blair as the type of player that you can run an offense through?

Honestly, I don't.

Blair is a better rebounder, I'll give him that.

Fair enough, Wizardspride. I suspect Coach Wittman and most Wizards fans who only have seen a little of Blair feel the same way you do.

Blair has a body of work. As a rookie he started for Popovich on the Spurs.

That alone should tell you he's better than Seraphin as far as I'm concerned. But he had some issues with fouls. He played a year for Dallas. Played less than another underappreciated talent, Brandan Wright. Bounced from their to the Wizards. Where he's got to compete with FOUR YEAR WIZARD, Kevin Seraphin. Think the coach could have a bias? I certainly do. Heck, even Gooden is ahead of Blair in the rotation.

Do I see Blair as the type of player I can run an offense through? Yes. He doesn't have Kevin Seraphin's smooth hook, silky face up, and lightening quick first two steps. Blair doesn't bringing thunder on his dunks. He doesn't LOOK as smooth as Seraphin.

How would you compare the two? I will use CAREER PER 100 POSSESSIONS.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rde01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... pke01.html

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS ORtg DRtg
380 179 6720 9.2 17.4 .529 0.0 0.1 .000 9.2 17.4 .531 2.9 4.7 .611 6.0 9.9 15.9 2.6 2.3 1.0 3.4 7.1 21.3 107 102
288 31 4756 9.1 18.4 .494 0.0 0.0 .000 9.1 18.4 .494 2.1 2.9 .713 4.2 7.2 11.5 1.6 0.7 2.4 3.6 7.3 20.3 96 105

Blair scores more on less FGA. He shoots at a higher %. He gets to the FT line 60% more often. (Kevin is a much better FT shooter). Blair is a MUCH better rebounder. Blair is a MUCH better passer. He actually turns it over around the same and fouls around the same; but he gives you more efficient scoring, many more possessions, MUCH BETTER OFFENSE BECAUSE HE'S NOT A BLACK HOLE. See the points, offensive rating, and defensive rating? Blair is higher in all of those.

Now the bias of course is Blair has cleaner stats, having played with San Antonio and Dallas. Kevin would have better stats if he played with those teams.

I would say rebounding and passing clearly favor Blair.
Kevin has go to moves, but Blair gets good looks and makes a better percentage of shots because he's a smarter player.

It's been years, but Blair has twice posted 20 points, 20 rebounds in the same game.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 40DAL.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 30OKC.html

His best play has come in limited minutes off the bench in playoffs, right up to last season with the Mavericks.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: The Dejuan Blair Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:22 am

If your argument is Blair looked bad in preseason.... weak.

If your argument is he's behind so and so in the depth chart .... ultra weak.

Bottom line is Wittman is wrong about Blair and I am right about Blair.
Bye bye Beal.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#3 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:23 am

as a "value" (cost per production) big man, there are few that are better...? I say that without having run any numbers.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:00 am

Actually, when paying homage to somebody who doesn't play, I believe the title should say "shrine" instead of mere "appreciation" (see Laron Profit).
RealGM

Re: The Dejuan Blair Shrine 

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:20 am

Roger that, LR.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:39 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Roger that, LR.

:lol:

I probably should have put that in green, just messing with ya.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#7 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:52 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:If your argument is Blair looked bad in preseason.... weak.

My argument is that Blair has not impressed Wittman in hundreds of hours of practice, and he hasn't impressed anybody with his in-game production. It's telling that Wittman utilizes Gooden when one of our 4 rotation bigs is unable to play.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#8 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 am

I would never play Gooden over Blair. Gooden looks like he's done in his few appearances. Blair has all that playoff experience and has played with two great franchises in Dallas and San Antonio. Yet Seraphin has showed me something. Personally, it depends on what you're looking for. More beef and rebounding or scoring? Perhaps we need a rim protector more and neither fits that mold though KS is the closest thing to that.

As for what Blair has brought this year? I don't even know how you can judge his garbage minutes. Maybe he's not "practicing well", but how much practice do they really get at this point? Bottom line is that I don't think either is the answer to our problems. I wouldn't hesitate to trade either one to get a stretch 4, athletic combo guard or backup 1. Even a backup 3.

And I say that as one who was thrilled to have Blair here. I guess with possibility that Nene could always miss time, you want to keep around another 5/4 just as insurance.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#9 » by keynote » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 am

There are shrines, and there are shrines. This thread is the latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nER_m9c_4R8#t=1562
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#10 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 am

LyricalRico wrote:Actually, when paying homage to somebody who doesn't play, I believe the title should say "shrine" instead of mere "appreciation" (see Laron Profit).

Then why is Bulter's a Shrine and not appreciation ?

You'll trying to bench the Razss by putting a shrine hex on him ?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#11 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:56 am

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:If your argument is Blair looked bad in preseason.... weak.

My argument is that Blair has not impressed Wittman in hundreds of hours of practice, and he hasn't impressed anybody with his in-game production. It's telling that Wittman utilizes Gooden when one of our 4 rotation bigs is unable to play.

I won't assume that until we see this play out.

Like I have said, they know Blairs value and he is signed next year. They can turn to him whenever they want or trade him.

Kevin is the one with more upside. Either to keep or trade. Just have to see how it plays out.

For the first half of the season, playing Kevin was a fine plan among several. I would say his value has increased. And they have won along the way.
RealGM

Re: Re: The Dejuan Blair Appreciation Thread 

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:11 am

nate33 wrote:

Telling to me that Wittman has favorites. Guys he previously coached. Blair came after Nene, Gortat, Seraphin, Gooden, and Humphries (who had a connection with RW from Minnesota days).

Blair is not a stretch four.

What he is is a tremendous sub in the playoffs. He is a gamer who does more than grab a lot of rebounds.
RealGM

Re: Re: The Dejuan Blair Shrine 

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:17 am

80sballboy wrote:I would never play Gooden over Blair. Gooden looks like he's done in his few appearances. Blair has all that playoff experience and has played with two great franchises in Dallas and San Antonio. Yet Seraphin has showed me something. Personally, it depends on what you're looking for. More beef and rebounding or scoring? Perhaps we need a rim protector more and neither fits that mold though KS is the closest thing to that.

As for what Blair has brought this year? I don't even know how you can judge his garbage minutes. Maybe he's not "practicing well", but how much practice do they really get at this point? Bottom line is that I don't think either is the answer to our problems. I wouldn't hesitate to trade either one to get a stretch 4, athletic combo guard or backup 1. Even a backup 3.

And I say that as one who was thrilled to have Blair here. I guess with possibility that Nene could always miss time, you want to keep around another 5/4 just as insurance.

Seraphin IMO is a 4/5 and Blair is a 5/4.

Both of them are 25 years of age.

I don't think it should be either or. Play both guys together some, but recognize the (far) more effective player is ...

Dejuan Blair

80s, I think the best of all worlds would be to wait for Larry Sanders to get bought out by Milwaukee. He's a good rim protector. Waive Gooden as Sanders gets acquired. Trade Seraphin and Webster for a beast combo guard who can defend speedy players. Play Blair until Sanders comes up to speed.
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 am

hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I won't assume that until we see this play out.

Like I have said, they know Blairs value and he is signed next year. They can turn to him whenever they want or trade him.

Kevin is the one with more upside. Either to keep or trade. Just have to see how it plays out.

For the first half of the season, playing Kevin was a fine plan among several. I would say his value has increased. And they have won along the way.

Yes.

Don't get me wrong. Seraphin definitely belongs in the NBA. It was a good idea to bring him back.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Re: The Dejuan Blair Shrine 

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I would never play Gooden over Blair. Gooden looks like he's done in his few appearances. Blair has all that playoff experience and has played with two great franchises in Dallas and San Antonio. Yet Seraphin has showed me something. Personally, it depends on what you're looking for. More beef and rebounding or scoring? Perhaps we need a rim protector more and neither fits that mold though KS is the closest thing to that.

Seraphin IMO is a 4/5 and Blair is a 5/4.

Both of them are 25 years of age.

I don't think it should be either or. Play both guys together some, but recognize the (far) more effective player is ...

Dejuan Blair

80s, I think the best of all worlds would be to wait for Larry Sanders to get bought out by Milwaukee. He's a good rim protector. Waive Gooden as Sanders gets acquired. Trade Seraphin and Webster for a beast combo guard who can defend speedy players. Play Blair until Sanders comes up to speed.

If basketball was like football and you had players just for defense and just for offense, I'd love to have Sanders. But he is so bad on offense, that he was a net detriment to the Bucks this season.

And to say he has major off the court issues is like saying northern Virginia has trouble dealing with snow. All of us know that the Wiz would not take that on.

Ftr, I am all for playing Blair ahead of Seraphin.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Telling to me that Wittman has favorites. Guys he previously coached. Blair came after Nene, Gortat, Seraphin, Gooden, and Humphries (who had a connection with RW from Minnesota days).

Blair is not a stretch four.

What he is is a tremendous sub in the playoffs. He is a gamer who does more than grab a lot of rebounds.

I kind of agree with this and I kind of don't, CCJ. Witt isn't on the EFJ level, playing undersized scrubs like Ruffin in crunch time just because he dislikes Haywood - even after it is proven to cost the team games. But he does seem to have some other criteria other than what's happening in the game for his decisions.

Whether it's last year in the playoffs (Booker was good against the Bulls, but he barely gets any run against Indy, even when it was clear we needed some type of spark) or just the most recent game (Beal and Pierce can't his the side of a barn for 90% of the game but a healthy Webster is nowhere to be found) - it's like he's not watching the game at all sometimes.

Nate may be right - maybe Blair has just been a flop of a signing who's shown zero in practice. And I'm actually not totally buying into the "favorites" take on it. But I wouldn't put it past Wittman to just have some other random reason that doesn't really have anything to do with whether Blair can help the team on the court or not (which is kind of scary).
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#17 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Blair is an unorthodox player. There are some great quotes from Popovich about not having a clue how Blair can be any good. But, Blair has been pretty good. Much better as a pro than Seraphin. It's difficult to believe Blair has suddenly forgotten how play ball -- which is what it would take for him to be less productive than Seraphin has been this year.

My guess is that the coaches believe they're playing Seraphin for his offense, and they think he's helping. If that's what they think, they're wrong. But, that still might be what they're thinking.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#18 » by fishercob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:54 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Blair is an unorthodox player. There are some great quotes from Popovich about not having a clue how Blair can be any good. But, Blair has been pretty good. Much better as a pro than Seraphin. It's difficult to believe Blair has suddenly forgotten how play ball -- which is what it would take for him to be less productive than Seraphin has been this year.

My guess is that the coaches believe they're playing Seraphin for his offense, and they think he's helping. If that's what they think, they're wrong. But, that still might be what they're thinking.

Who is on your all-unorthodox team?

Rondo, Kevin Martin, Marion (HOF), Blair, Noah...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#19 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:13 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Blair is an unorthodox player. There are some great quotes from Popovich about not having a clue how Blair can be any good. But, Blair has been pretty good. Much better as a pro than Seraphin. It's difficult to believe Blair has suddenly forgotten how play ball -- which is what it would take for him to be less productive than Seraphin has been this year.

I don't think Blair has forgotten how to play ball. I just think that Blair has only been successful when playing alongside a stretch four like Bonner or Nowitzki. I think he ruins spacing on offense but managed to find two teams who had the personnel to make it work.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#20 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:31 pm

nate33 wrote:

I don't think Blair has forgotten how to play ball. I just think that Blair has only been successful when playing alongside a stretch four like Bonner or Nowitzki. I think he ruins spacing on offense but managed to find two teams who had the personnel to make it work.

The lineup data doesn't seem to agree with this theory.

His rookie year, the lineup of Blair and Bonner was deadly -- +14.5 per 100 possessions in 472 minutes. Overall, the Spurs were +4.3 in Blair's 1494 minutes.

The following year, the Blair-Bonner duo was -0.3 per 1 in 353 minutes. The duo of Blair and Duncan was +10.1 in 928 minutes. The Spurs were a net +5.0 during Blair's 1733 minutes.

In 2011-12, the Spurs were -5.0 per 100 with Blair and Bonner on the floor together (162 total minutes). They were a net +1.9 during Blair's 1363 minutes. They were +5.2 with Blair and Duncan out there together.

In 2012-13, the Spurs were -3.0 per 100 possessions with Blair and Bonner (295 minutes), and -1.0 during Blair's 851 total minutes. They were +9.6 in 297 minutes with Blair and Duncan.

Last season might support the theory -- Dallas was +4.6 in the 661 minutes Blair played with Nowitzki vs. +1.0 during Blair's 1217 total minutes.

I don't think what we're seeing is the effect of having a stretch 4 on the floor with Blair, but rather the effect of having better players on the floor. That is, Blair and Duncan/Nowitzki are a better lineup than Blair and Bonner because Duncan/Nowitzki are better players than Bonner. They do more and produce more, and therefore tend to outscore the opponent.

My guess is that given the minutes Seraphin has gotten, Blair would be about as productive as he'd been in the past, and the Wizards bench would have been more productive and effective as a group.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards