ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Super Bowl Discussion

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Re: OT: Super Bowl Discussion 

Post#21 » by AFM » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:35 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I didn't think it was a bad call at all. Passing in that spot has a high success rate -- higher than running the ball. Maybe that particular call could have been different, but...if Wilson throws the ball 6 inches to the right, it's a TD. If the receiver makes a better play, Seahawks win or get another play. If the Pats CB makes a less great play, Seahawks win.

I think most of the "bad call" criticism I've heard is really "bad result" critique.

Baby when you got beastmode on your team, you let him go.... BEAST MODE!!!!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FvWIOangns[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 2, 2015 8:01 pm

Looking at the play-by-play, I saw 2 short yardage plays that went to Lynch. 10:14 of the 1st quarter 3rd and 2, and he gained zero yards. 11:51 of the 3rd quarter 3rd and 1, and he gained zero yards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#23 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:I would have also gone for a play-action rollout, but I agreed with Seattle's choice not to run on that play. Remember, NE had their run defense stacked in there, and they stuffed Seattle's short-yardage run game a couple times earlier in the game. It was actually a helluva play by an undrafted rookie free agent CB - more than a bad play call, imo.

Agreed.

I heard on sports talk radio this morning that NFL teams threw on the 1-yard line 109 times and that was THE ONLY PASS INTERCEPTED.

Credit the Patriots for having scouted that play. Reportedly, Malcolm Butler was burned on last Thursday's walkthrough by the scout team on that very formation. When the Seahawks went with that formation in the game, he had been reminded of what happened in practice. The guy was very prepared ahead of time. Belicik and his assistants were ready for that. Butler exploded on the ball without any hesitation.

It was a winning play ... but the call was a dubious one.

Like everyone else, I say give the ball to Beast Mode. If they wanted Wilson to be the MVP, all they have to do is let him run to the edge. No way the Patriots stop it IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#24 » by Wizardspride » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:12 pm

The play call was fine. The real issue was Russell Wilson.

If you see a replay his mistake was that he stared down the receiver from the moment he received the snap.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#25 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:Looking at the play-by-play, I saw 2 short yardage plays that went to Lynch. 10:14 of the 1st quarter 3rd and 2, and he gained zero yards. 11:51 of the 3rd quarter 3rd and 1, and he gained zero yards.

Ruz, the only thing the Seahawks really could have done besides adjust to the goal line package and throw would have been to call time out and put their goal line run package in.

It's all hindsight.

Nobody criticizes the Seahawks for the gutsy touchdown pass at the end of the first half. Also, they were lucky to have Kearse catch that ball Butler deflected.

I think the Seahawks already won a Super Bowl and really have nothing to feel ashamed about. That was just one play but New England dissected their defense. That was the story of the game IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:25 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Looking at the play-by-play, I saw 2 short yardage plays that went to Lynch. 10:14 of the 1st quarter 3rd and 2, and he gained zero yards. 11:51 of the 3rd quarter 3rd and 1, and he gained zero yards.

Ruz, the only thing the Seahawks really could have done besides adjust to the goal line package and throw would have been to call time out and put their goal line run package in.

It's all hindsight.

Nobody criticizes the Seahawks for the gutsy touchdown pass at the end of the first half. Also, they were lucky to have Kearse catch that ball Butler deflected.

I think the Seahawks already won a Super Bowl and really have nothing to feel ashamed about. That was just one play but New England dissected their defense. That was the story of the game IMO.

Honestly, I thought it was a phenominal (cue Bill Walton) game - one for the ages - and it bothers me that a lot of people are calling it a disappointment because they assume the last play should have been a run up the gut. Like I said, I would have done a play-action roll-out, but the play they called could have worked, and the kid making that interception should get all kinds of credit for making the biggest play of the game. There should be no tarnish on anything. The Kearse catch was literally unbelievable, and that helped make the game great.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#27 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

It's all hindsight.

Honestly, I thought it was a phenominal (cue Bill Walton) game - one for the ages - and it bothers me that a lot of people are calling it a disappointment because they assume the last play should have been a run up the gut. Like I said, I would have done a play-action roll-out, but the play they called could have worked, and the kid making that interception should get all kinds of credit for making the biggest play of the game. There should be no tarnish on anything. The Kearse catch was literally unbelievable, and that helped make the game great.

The immaculate reception 2.0

Return to Washington Wizards