ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #50: Wizards @ Hawks 7:30 PM (CSN/99.1 FM) [2/4/15]

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Winner?

Reppin the most powerful city in the world with a bad offense?
11%
Spurs East
89%

Total votes: 9

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: GT #50: Wizards @ Hawks 7:30 PM (CSN/99.1 FM) [2/4/15] 

Post#321 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:30 am

Hypemaster wrote:Depressing to see us take the lead and then implode. So much frustration in this 4 game losing streak and so many things need to change.

Nah.

They can make a move but I'm not panicked after seeing them tonight. I think they are starting to climb back.

ATL not only it top two in the league by like TOR, that kind of team usually blow the Wizards out by over 20.

They are getting back in the grove. Lots of progress made tonight.

If they would just get Webster integrated again, they would look a ton better over night. Otto should just be getting spot minutes right now. He isn't ready to give them what they need against a top team like ATL.

Otto is making progress. Not down on him either. He just isn't ready yet. You get a good game from him every 5-6 games
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#322 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:31 am

Yeah, not sure what Webster has shown to conclude he was the savior for this game. He made a 3 pointer. So what. He also made a horrible TO as soon as he was inserted in the game with about 2 minutes left.

I recall when we were playing well that someone came up with some stats showing that we were really only playing like a 45-47 team. I think we are just now realizing that stats don't lie. This is a decent but not great team. We played an elite team tonight and they took care of business like elite teams do.
hands11
Banned User

Post#323 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:33 am

tontoz wrote:Beal scored over 20 without making a 3. That might be a first. He had some pretty nice drives.

Still some serious inefficiencies in some of the things he does, but hell yeah. That one move where he kept his dribble arrive and finished at the rim. That was a PRO move right there.

I had plenty of negative post about Beal tonight. But equally as many positive. I just hope someone is teach him to clean up the inefficient stuff.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#324 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:37 am

I'd be happy if Beal just started making the easy shots. I am more confident he will make a three pointer or a tough shot with a man in his face than a wide open 15 footer.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#325 » by keynote » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:38 am

Webster doesn't appear to be the answer. He can't manufacture his own shot, he's not deadeye from 3 any more, and he's slipped from average defender to woeful defender. Temple and Porter are self-checks on offense, but at least they bring a lot of effort on the defensive end. Webster seems so limited out there. I'd only play him with Wall vs teams where we can hide him on defense. If he happens to be hot from 3 that night: great. If not: stick him back on the bench.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
hands11
Banned User

Post#326 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:42 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Yeah, not sure what Webster has shown to conclude he was the savior for this game. He made a 3 pointer. So what. He also made a horrible TO as soon as he was inserted in the game with about 2 minutes left.

I recall when we were playing well that someone came up with some stats showing that we were really only playing like a 45-47 team. I think we are just now realizing that stats don't lie. This is a decent but not great team. We played an elite team tonight and they took care of business like elite teams do.

Really

Are people really that short sighted. Dude was injured and had back surgery so he wasn't playing all summer... AT ALL.

If you can't see how he is getting back into game level grove then I can't help you. Webster is just as good as he always was.

And once he started getting closer to being back, he smacked knees really bad a few games ago.

2013 1.8-4.3 .422
2014 1.9-4.8 .392

I have ZERO doubt he can still do that. NONE. ZIP

And we didn't need a savior. We were in it. We needed someone better then 1-7 in 20 mins and 1-5 in 25 mins

Given Websters history of production on this team and that he was already 1-1 from 3, yeah. I think he could have likely given them the little extra they need to get over the hump.

Odds are way more in my favor that I am right then they are that you are.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#327 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:44 am

Porter and Temple getting playing time is alright if the bigs they were playing with were optimized. Hump bricking mid range 2s does nothing for spacing, and Seraphin is just bad. Had they been playing with Nene and hump/Seraphin I think a lot of their flaws could be masked.
hands11
Banned User

Post#328 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:48 am

dandridge 10 wrote:I'd be happy if Beal just started making the easy shots. I am more confident he will make a three pointer or a tough shot with a man in his face than a wide open 15 footer.

Agreed. Thats the efficiency I'm talking about. The drives look good. What he need to do now is learn to not just catch and shoot but all the moves based on that ... that don't involves a lot of dribbles. The little things. Showing the ball to the left before a move to the right step back 3. Hard pump fake draw the 3 point shooting foul. etc etc. The stuff that makes a SG deadly because there are no good moves guarding them.

Teague does all of it. Very efficient moving players and setting them up. Kyle does a lot of it also. That what sets up that offense.

Beal made good progress tonight. Still lots of room to get better but there was progress to build on.

Ray could really teach him a lot.
hands11
Banned User

Post#329 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:54 am

keynote wrote:Webster doesn't appear to be the answer. He can't manufacture his own shot, he's not deadeye from 3 any more, and he's slipped from average defender to woeful defender. Temple and Porter are self-checks on offense, but at least they bring a lot of effort on the defensive end. Webster seems so limited out there. I'd only play him with Wall vs teams where we can hide him on defense. If he happens to be hot from 3 that night: great. If not: stick him back on the bench.

Based on the 127 min he played this year returning from injury ?

Or based on 2157 mins last year and/or the 2200 min the year before ?

Some of you guys are to funny.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#330 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:01 am

hands11 wrote:
keynote wrote:Webster doesn't appear to be the answer. He can't manufacture his own shot, he's not deadeye from 3 any more, and he's slipped from average defender to woeful defender. Temple and Porter are self-checks on offense, but at least they bring a lot of effort on the defensive end. Webster seems so limited out there. I'd only play him with Wall vs teams where we can hide him on defense. If he happens to be hot from 3 that night: great. If not: stick him back on the bench.

Back injuries can have significant effects on a players abilities to perform regardless of past performance. Surely you must be aware of this.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#331 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:07 am

hands11 wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:Yeah, not sure what Webster has shown to conclude he was the savior for this game. He made a 3 pointer. So what. He also made a horrible TO as soon as he was inserted in the game with about 2 minutes left.

Really

Are people really that short sighted. Dude was injured and had back surgery so he wasn't playing all summer... AT ALL.

If you can't see how he is getting back into game level grove then I can't help you. Webster is just as good as he always was.

And once he started getting closer to being back, he smacked knees really bad a few games ago.

2013 1.8-4.3 .422
2014 1.9-4.8 .392

And we didn't need a savior. We were in it. We needed someone better then 1-7 in 20 mins and 1-5 in 25 mins

Given Websters history of production on this team and that he was already 1-1 from 3, yeah. I think he could have likely given them the little extra they need to get over the hump.

Odds are way more in my favor that I am right then they are they you are.

What exactly have you seen so far this year to conclude he is getting "back into game level groove?" Even if he has hit a few shots, his defense is still horrible. And, as good as he ever was? I'm sorry...he might have been good the year before last but he was not good last year. He was also horrendous on D last year and very inconsistent on offense.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that Webster can regain his form from 2012-2013. I just have not seen anything from him yet to conclude that he will. Given that he has had, what, four back surgeries already in his career, I would say that the odds are that he will not regain his form. Hope I am wrong since the Wizards desperately need some scoring off the bench.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#332 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:10 am

We can't rely on Webster contributing this season.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#333 » by jangles86 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:20 am

hands11 wrote:Odds are way more in my favor that I am right then they are they you are.

:-?
hands11
Banned User

Post#334 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:32 am

nuposse04 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Back injuries can have significant effects on a players abilities to perform regardless of past performance. Surely you must be aware of this.

Really. I had never considered that.

Again.

How about we revisit this baseless speculation until after he has some actually court time. A normal load off the bench would be 15-20 mins. He hasn't even had 15 games worth at min. minutes. And that is scattered over many games. Not like he is getting regular burn. Which was fine he letting him heal up all the way. Specially after the knee bruise.

He is 2-4 over his last for 3s. FT over .800 percent. Everything good and bad is over very small sample sizes. But the last two years is a large sample size. There is nothing I have seen from him on the court that would lead me to believe he won't be the same Webster he was before given some court time. And that Webster nails 3s for lunch.

He is moving fine out there. He just needs some court time. He shooting form is already returning. Straight up. Quick release. Head locked. You are watching the games and not just looking at box score right ?
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#335 » by dlts20 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:37 am

Witt keeps making the wrong decisions regarding Wall in the 4th. Everytime he starts Wall in the 4th, it backfires. He did it early in the season in Boston and Wall got us back in the game but the thing about that was we were down by like 19. That is the time to do it because you say you are going to give your star player like 5 minutes to get us back into the contest and if he doesnt then you sit hit the last 7 or 8min because its a a lost cause.

The problemm is he's done it alot of times since then but most of the times its like a 3-5pt game. You dont start him in the 4th in a game that close in the regular season. You sit him and then you jjust bring him back in early depending on what happens at the start. It was a 3pt game tonight at the end of 3. I think Wall was mentally prepared to sit. It takes him and everyone else out of rhythm. Then Witt has to pull him a lil later anyways after the leadd has gone up and now Wall is actually just sitting at the time when he should just be about to come back in after a nice rest. It just screws all the timing up and everyone's groove
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#336 » by WallToWall » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:46 am

dlts20 wrote:Witt keeps making the wrong decisions regarding Wall in the 4th. Everytime he starts Wall in the 4th, it backfires. He did it early in the season in Boston and Wall got us back in the game but the thing about that was we were down by like 19. That is the time to do it because you say you are going to give your star player like 5 minutes to get us back into the contest and if he doesnt then you sit hit the last 7 or 8min because its a a lost cause.

The problemm is he's done it alot of times since then but most of the times its like a 3-5pt game. You dont start him in the 4th in a game that close in the regular season. You sit him and then you jjust bring him back in early depending on what happens at the start. It was a 3pt game tonight at the end of 3. I think Wall was mentally prepared to sit. It takes him and everyone else out of rhythm. Then Witt has to pull him a lil later anyways after the leadd has gone up and now Wall is actually just sitting at the time when he should just be about to come back in after a nice rest. It just screws all the timing up and everyone's groove

Agree. Unfortunately, there is nobody on the bench he can bring in the game in the 4th to replace Wall.
hands11
Banned User

Post#337 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:53 am

dandridge 10 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Really

2013 1.8-4.3 .422
2014 1.9-4.8 .392

Odds are way more in my favor that I am right then they are they you are.

What exactly have you seen so far this year to conclude he is getting "back into game level groove?" Even if he has hit a few shots, his defense is still horrible. And, as good as he ever was? I'm sorry...he might have been good the year before last but he was not good last year. He was also horrendous on D last year and very inconsistent on offense.

I'm not saying that it is impossible that Webster can regain his form from 2012-2013. I just have not seen anything from him yet to conclude that he will. Given that he has had, what, four back surgeries already in his career, I would say that the odds are that he will not regain his form. Hope I am wrong since the Wizards desperately need some scoring off the bench.

Yeah, well Okafor wasn't going to play well either after his missed season because of back surgery. Right. Then he did.

I actually have more faith in Webster this year after getting his back fixed up then I did in his last year playing hurt through it.

This last surgery probably holds him through until he retires which I suspect will be after next year. One more year after that is possible but no more then that.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#338 » by dlts20 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 5:59 am

Btw, the Nets just torched the Raps and Hollins said they beat them by playing 4 guards. 2 of them are really sf's but the point is the same. Even Raps fans were saying that teams have figured out to beat them by playing small. However there is one dimwitt who hasn't figured it out
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#339 » by AFM » Thu Feb 5, 2015 6:19 am

We're all wondering about Durant but I wonder if wall will ever stop wanting to put this team on his back
TRNBA12
Junior
And1: 176

Post#340 » by TRNBA12 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 6:48 am

dlts20 wrote:Btw, the Nets just torched the Raps and Hollins said they beat them by playing 4 guards. 2 of them are really sf's but the point is the same. Even Raps fans were saying that teams have figured out to beat them by playing small. However there is one dimwitt who hasn't figured it out

Of the Bulls, Raptors and Wizards all of whom have been losing lately you guys should feel the best. The Raptors board is melting down because we recognize the team has a horrible style of play on offense by chucking as much as any team in the league which combined with poor defensive effort basically makes them a house of cards. Lowry the last 3 weeks is the worst he's ever played in a Raptor uniform and Derozan has been not close to a star this season. It's not a talented enough team to survive playing like a bunch of dumbasses while Lowry plays like Michael Carter-Williams. As for the Bulls LOL well something's obviously up there. Right now things can hardly look better for Cleveland but I'd say Washington is top 3

Return to Washington Wizards