ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Martin

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Kevin Martin 

Post#1 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:31 pm

I've turned to lurking this season in a personal busy season, and I just swung by to lurk after seeing this nugget on Bullets Forever:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/2/6/7992317/washington-wizards-kevin-martin-nba-trade-rumor

Feel free to merge with the trade thread, but I wanted to hear the wiser posters here sound off on the possibility.

And.... what everyone would want to know... does that inhibit us from landing Durant next year?
Would the fact they've shared the court help?
Any old nuggets that they loved/hated each other?

But let's be serious, we could use some help in some form RIGHT NOW.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Re: Kevin Martin 

Post#2 » by TGW » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:41 pm

Can't see Flip dealing with Grunfail unless the Wizards are getting fleeced i.e. Otto being involved.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#3 » by nuposse04 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:03 pm

Come now, don't short EG like that, he'll offer Porter and a protected 1st :P
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#4 » by AFM » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:03 pm

Would be a great pick up

EG loves to trade picks, will probably trade a couple futures and one of our bench warmers
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#5 » by nuposse04 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:04 pm

BTW, there are some DUMB fans on BF that thing porter for Martin is a fair trade and could make a night and day difference for us. Instead of a 1st round exit we may get a 2nd round exit. Whooopdeee **** doo.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#6 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:11 pm

Grunfail would trade Otto or our 2015 1st for him.

Please no, no, no. This team continues to fail in management and assets. I'd rather have something to look forward to on draft night than having another 30 year old on this roster. Sure, Grunfail doesn't know how to draft but he could by some luck pick a blue chip prospect.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#7 » by JWizmentality » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:16 pm

Off the bench? Ha! He could replace Beal now. Can he hit an open midrange shot?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#8 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:30 pm

The great majority of folks at bulletsforever seem to think Seraphin has made a big jump this year and is worth re-signing so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Frankly bf isn't the same without Prada. Now it's just one big Wizards jackoff session where everybody loves all their players no matter what.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#9 » by AFM » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:32 pm

Dat2U wrote:The great majority of folks at bulletsforever seem to think Seraphin has made a big jump this year and is worth re-signing so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Frankly bf isn't the same without Prada. Now it's just one big Wizards jackoff session where everybody loves all their players no matter what.

It's always been that way. And frankly Prada was a terrible moderator.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#10 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:34 pm

Dat2U wrote:The great majority of folks at bulletsforever seem to think Seraphin has made a big jump this year and is worth re-signing so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

J. Michael at CSN was saying on twitter Seraphin is an $8-10 million a year player.

I was like GTFOH. :lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#11 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:40 pm

Adding Kevin Martin's salary to our cap number torpedoes our KD2DC strategy. We're not going to trade for him.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#12 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:03 pm

Remember, Ernie is the King of panic trades, anything is possible. The only certainty is that we will be on the losing end of the trade long-term.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#13 » by TGW » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:03 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

J. Michael at CSN was saying on twitter Seraphin is an $8-10 million a year player.

J. Michael is a freakin windbag.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Kevin Martin 

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:27 pm

nate33 wrote:Adding Kevin Martin's salary to our cap number torpedoes our KD2DC strategy. We're not going to trade for him.

I think the Wizards could just make a deal for Kevin Martin. He is a name they recognize. He is over 30. They only trust veterans. Beal just suffered a toe injury. Knee jerk deal could be on the way.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Kevin Martin 

Post#15 » by Induveca » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:31 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:Adding Kevin Martin's salary to our cap number torpedoes our KD2DC strategy. We're not going to trade for him.

I think the Wizards could just make a deal for Kevin Martin. He is a name they recognize. He is over 30. They only trust veterans. Beal just suffered a toe injury. Knee jerk deal could be on the way.

Agreed......
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#16 » by keynote » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:33 pm

+1. Semi-available swingmen that expire in 2016 include:
- Lance
- Joe Johnson
- Eric Gordon
- OJ Mayo
- Gerald Henderson
- Wilson Chandler
- Caron
- Evan Turner

I'm not a fan of trading for any of those guys, really.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#17 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:39 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Yikes. J. Michael is a terrible excuse for a beat writer. He has no clue of how the cap works so I'm not surprised he thinks Seraphin is worth that much.

What really scares me is if there folks in the front office that think Seraphin is worth paying a price to keep.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm not too worried about the Seraphin situation. Ernie Grunfeld does lots of things wrong, but he generally avoids wildly overpaying free agents. He let Hughes, Jeffries and Ariza walk when the price got too high; there's no reason to think he'll pay a fortune for Seraphin.

I think the possibility exists he resigns Seraphin for $4M a year or so (which is still overpaying), but he's not going to break the bank and pay him $8M a year. That's crazy talk. Nobody is going to pay him that much - not in a world where guys like Kris Humphries and Trevor Booker cost half as much.

EG's moves last year make it obvious that he's all in for KD2DC. There is no way to keep that plan alive with Seraphin on the books making $5M+. Heck, the only way to make it work with Seraphin at all is if Seraphin is being paid $4M or less and if we dump or buy out Webster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:58 pm

Welp, I could see the Wiz doing a Webster and a 1st trade for KMart. It would definitely help the team over this season and next, but it'd put them even further in the hole they're in as far as developing a young big - since that's what that pick could be used for. If they do make it, I'd expect that Porter will be traded this offseason.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 9:03 pm

keynote wrote:

+1. Semi-available swingmen that expire in 2016 include:
- Lance
- Joe Johnson
- Eric Gordon
- OJ Mayo
- Gerald Henderson
- Wilson Chandler
- Caron
- Evan Turner

I'm not a fan of trading for any of those guys, really.

I think Eric Gordan could make a lot of sense if the only incentive we included was cap savings. Something like: Miller + Webster + Blair for Gordon would help us quite a bit. Gordon would be a good 3rd guard and off-the-bench scorer.

New Orleans might consider it for the cap savings, but not until they are clearly out of the playoff race. It saves them about $3M instantly and another $8M the next year. It adds the cost of Webster's buyout to their 2016 salary, but that's only $2.5M.

Return to Washington Wizards